Philips Dvdr80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
ims

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone owns Philips DVDR80 any good? Since my panny E100H has been delayed, now wondering whether should I opt for philips any suggestion.
Iqbal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 05:36 PM

I opted for the Philips DVDR75 ($399 shipped at Amazon) over the 80 ($700). The 80 costs more and the main difference is the 8 hour recordings vs. the 6 on my 75 and a DCDi by Faroudja built in.

So far I have been extremely happy with the 75. I just finished recording 6 straight hours of VHS to DVD in 6 hour mode and I must say it looks darn good!

If you plan on editing a bunch and need a built in hard drive the I guess go for the Panny, but for me any editing will be done using my PC DVD.

Good luck in your quest!

Alfer
post #3 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 07:47 PM

I got a DVDR80 last week and have been experimenting with it all week. I am returning it for a refund however since the online guide gets in the way and prevents timed recordings from external sources like satellite, digital cable, or HDTV. It also is unable to play several recordable DVDs I have made on a computer. The Panasonic E80 looks like a better deal for the same price with built-in 80GB hard drive.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Shumway
the main difference is the 8 hour recordings vs. the 6 on my 75
I would say that the EPG, Disc Manager and the IR Blasters are what separates the DVDR80 from the DVDR75 more so than the 8 hour vs 6 hour recording mode.

Body by Nautilus. Brains by Mattel.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 01:19 PM

I would agree with that (Gil). Note that you can get a DVDR80 online for $550 so the price difference (from the 75) isn't really that great.

Another advantage of the 80 over the 75 is that you get 15 timer events (vs 6), and Faroudja DCDi progressive scan processing.

I'm not famaliar with that specific Panasonic model, but the big obvious difference is the DVD format support. RAM give you time slip recording (which might not be overly important with the hard drive), and of course the Hard/Drive PVR functions.

Doesn't seem like there's a winner in the format war. Pricing of blank use-once discs is similar. But, the Panasonics don't give you -RW. + or - RWs can be purchased in bulk for much less then -RAM.

+RWs don't require finalization, and work in many stand-alone DVD players (especially newer ones).
post #6 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gil T. Pleasure
I would say that the EPG, Disc Manager and the IR Blasters are what separates the DVDR80 from the DVDR75 more so than the 8 hour vs 6 hour recording mode.
One note: The blaster doesn't control DISH/ Directv (my current set-up uses DTV), so unless you have cable, you're SOL.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-02-2003, 08:11 PM

I just realized something tonight...

I don't need the blaster on my 75 because, as it turns out, my new bedroom Hughes DTV receiver allows me to put a checkmark next to a show I want to watch on the DTV "guide" and when it's time for that show, the receiver switches channels for me.

Now all I need to do is program the DVD recorder to the right time and input and I'm good to go.

That'll teach me not to overlook all the bells and whistles offered on todays electronics!

G
post #8 of 15 Old 09-03-2003, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
ims

David
from where can you get DVDR80 @ $550.00 can you please let me know.
Thanks
Iqbal
post #9 of 15 Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 AM

etronics.com
http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...id=4555&store=

DVDR80=$525
DVDR75=$440
post #10 of 15 Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ims
David
from where can you get DVDR80 @ $550.00 can you please let me know.
Thanks
Iqbal
Do a search at shipping.yahoo.com.

the place I ordered from is a 5-star/top service seller.
(I've also used etronics a few times in the past without any problems)

Please note Gordon's comment. The Guide+ doesn't work with satellite. And, the DVDR80 can't do timer recording from an external A-V input (only the tuner).

This wasn't a big deal for me since both my Sat boxes are PVRs. I'm using the 80 for over the air recording.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-04-2003, 08:52 PM

Hi i can see people talking about the Disc Manager Program. I know that this "built-in browser" allows you to do a search of a typical program among all the ones you have previously recorded and tells you on which of your many discs this programs locates.

That feature in specially interesting if you've got a large DVD library like 100 and over .

I have actually a phillips DVDR 880 (which works fine) and plan to buy a second one and the DVDR 80 seems to be a good option...but i have one question about the Disc manager :

I have more than 100 hundred home recorded DVDs.
As they are all already finalized, will it be possible to enter the datas into the Disc manager or can you only do that with discs that are not finalized.

It's great to have ag Disc manager but only if it helps you to locate a Disc in ALL your library and not just part of it.

Does this feature work fine and worth the price of a DVDR 80 ?

Thanx
post #12 of 15 Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Interestingly, this is the only thread that even briefly mentions disc manager. Until now I have considered the lack of a consistent database such as a PVR has to be the achilles heel of DVDR, and the fact that it uses removeable media a throwback to VTR's at least from an organizational or library management point of view. I'd like to know more about this because if implemented right this will put DVDR's on par with PVR's, at least in that category. I've always felt that the content database was among the top killer features that distinguish PVR's from VCR's, and if it can extend to DVDR that is really a terrific development.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #13 of 15 Old 09-04-2003, 09:55 PM

yeah sure some DVDR 80 owners will tell us about that !
post #14 of 15 Old 09-05-2003, 07:31 AM

I haven't played with the disc manager. Flipping through the manual, it looks like any +R or +RW can be added to the database at any time. You cannot add DVD-ROM.

You can read up. If there's a specific question that isn't covered, I can experiment.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/manua..._us_manual.pdf
post #15 of 15 Old 09-05-2003, 09:42 PM

yeah thank U for the link to the manual, it was a great reading ! this disc Manager (DM) feature really seems impressive ! yeah U can enter datas from all your +R or +RW disc even if (apprently) they are already finalized.

They also say that if you decide to insert one of your unfinished disc in the DM database, you would not want to finish the recording of this particular disc with another recorder unless you don't care the DM won't recognize your disc any longer.

Then if that happens you can still delete this disc from the DM and enter the datas again once your disc other recorder's recording is completed(don't worry it won't delete the disc content itself but only the datas that the DM keep for each disc -title, lenght and date of record).

Well if U need more info go directly on page 69 from the link posted before.
As for me, unless someone tells bad reviews about this feature i really think it's a great improvment over previous recorders !
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page