Creating Backups (My DVD-Rs) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Panasonic E80H and I *love* it. My wife and I have been archiving our VHS tapes for a couple of weeks and this thing works great. It's also perfect for archiving saved shows off our Sony DirectTiVo.

Inevitably, however, we've come across several VHS tapes that our family members want copies of. Inevitably, they tell us this after we've burned the DVD and erased it from the hard drive. Family stuff, weddings, ad nausea. Problem is, I don't want to archive all this stuff onto -RAM, I'd rather just burn it to a DVD-R, plus I don't have enough drive space to keep 20 years of memories forever. I'd certainly ahte to have to re-input the tapes back onto the E80 just to make a copy for Aunt Mabel. I've want to copy the tapes and burn 'em to -R so I can go on to the next one, otherwise I'll be tracking down and querying relatives for years waiting to remove them from the hard drive.

So, how do I go about copying of the DVD-Rs that I created using the E80H?

Unfortunately, the -80 won't allow recopying back onto the hard drive for burning another one, so that option is out. Again, I don't want to spend money on -RAMs, so that option is out. However, I do have a home computer with an external FireWire DVD-R burner (Pioneer A-03). Surely there exists some software that will allow me to rip or copy my personal non-copy-protected DVD-Rs losslessly from the internal DVD reader drive to my FireWire DVD-R burner on my PC? Alternatively, how about some software that allows me to rip to the hard drive and then burn to the DVD-R?

Suggestions, comments, references, experiences appreciated!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think I understand you. Yes, the PC options are all available to do what you want and have more storage room for home video archives, but I hear they are slower, less convenient and more expensive.
If you want to use your Panny, why not keep a DVD-R copy you made of any home video and play it back with a DVD player into the E80 and dub it to a new DVD-R with the E80 whenever you need another copy? You only mention not wanting to keep DVD-Rams. If you don't want to keep DVD-Rs either, just borrow back one you made for someone, put it in a DVD player and dub it again to DVD-R with the E80.
Sorry, I must be missing a concern you have, but this seems the easiest way not to have to use the hard drive or DVD-Rams for archiving.
If you are wanting to archive all the video tapes all to one place, yes, the PC option to a big PC hard drive seems best. You may need a lot of space depending on how many hours you have.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ron. To clarify, I *will* be keeping copies of the DVD-R myself, but I'd like the ability to easily and quickly copy them on request. I'm not looking to store them on the PC, just copy them.

I like your idea for using a separate DVD player input to the E80; I'm confident that since the original source is VHS the quality loss will be imperceptible. I don't have a separate player, but at less than $100 it's probably not a bad idea.

I'd still like to entertain ideas on how to do it losslessly on the computer, but I suppose I'll buy a player in the short-term.

Greg
post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 09:36 AM

...I'm trying something similar in another thread. Would it work for Greg to simply play the DVD-R in the E80 and "loop" the output back into the E80 inputs while recording to the HD? Since there is no copy protection on the DVD-R, the E80 should not have any trouble there, and as these are family videos, picture quality degradation from the extra processing might not matter much.

After that, he could just put in a new DVD-R and dub away.

d_of_e
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, I read that someone has done that with good results, altho it is not lossless dub, but neither would be recording from a DVD player.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

simplest and easiest way..

1) get a PC burner (I won't go into any specifics, but BB and CC have(had?) a decent 4x +/-R unit for $139 this week, prices are dropping).

2) search Google for DVDDecrypter

3) a spare ~4.7gb of HD space

a) use DVDDecrypter to make an ISO image of your DVD-R on the HD

b1) use DVDDecrypter to REBURN the ISO back to the DVD Burner
b2) wash, rinse, repeat till you have what you need

c) erase ISO image if you don't need it any longer

If you get a +/-R burner, you could make +R copies of a -R disc for those that want/need +R

expense - cost of burner, DVDDecrypter is free..

note: I recommend AGAINST using a standard 'ripping' approach in pulling the files from the DVD-R and then reburning.. for some bizzare reason I've had nothing but problems doing it that way.. the ISO method is more reliable (and simpler since DVDDecrypter can burn those directly)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 PM

You probably don't need a new DVD burner (your Pioneer A03 works fine albeit it's very slow by today's standards) unless you will be making multiple copies of the same DVDR. In that case, get a new DVD burner that supports at least 4x write speed (Pioneer A05/105, NEC ND-1100A to name a few), which will significantly cut down on your copying/burning time.

Body by Nautilus. Brains by Mattel.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

The A03 will work fine. The DVDDecrypter ISO trick should work.

Simply copying the files and then reburning as a DVD Video project will also work. (Note: One MUST use the proper settings in the burning software and create a DVD-Video compliant disk.)
post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I tried the DVDDecrypter trick last night, worked like a charm. Now if I could only figure out a way for the program to read from the DVD reader drive and burn to the writer drive, it would be perfect.

Thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg...

you don't want to to it that way (I know, it may look quicker) but it's more touchy to buffer-underruns and other interruptions... the extra time to make the ISO on the HD will pay for itself in coasters not made...

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, agreed. If the reader and writer are on the same IDE cable, there could be speed contention, especially if a reader has to double back on a sector error.

If you get a 4X reader and a 2X burner, the entire process (with a HDD iso image) should easily take less than an hour.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 07:03 PM

Agreed. What Londo said is by far the easiest way to copy them.

-AmoebaMan
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page