DVD-RAM, PC multidrive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-04-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I have my new Panasonic E80 and its DVD-RAM disc, and was considering buying a multidrive (that reads/writes DVD-RAM) to get my captures to my PC...

...anyway, once I have this setup, if I wanted to could I ALSO use a DVD-RAM disc for other file formats; almost as if the multidrive and DVD-RAM was a removable hard drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-04-2003, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you got it in one.... correctamundo...

the drive you want is the LF-D521 $199.99 @ www.tigerdirect.com (and it's the full retail box with the necesary utilities). It's also a 2x DVD-R burner... so it's two... two.. two answers in one..

(that's what I get for dubbing a tape of old commercials)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Or go for the LG GSA4040B. It reads/writes ALL DVD formats, including DVD-RAM. 4X speed for DVD-R. Pricegrabber lowprice is under $170...
post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by potus
Or go for the LG GSA4040B. It reads/writes ALL DVD formats, including DVD-RAM. 4X speed for DVD-R. Pricegrabber lowprice is under $170...
Bzzzt... wrong answer.. the LG DOES NOT ACCEPT RAM'S IN CARTS.

Ram's without carts = dust bunnies = read/write errors.

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the diff between Panasonic's (DVD-RAM discs) LM-HB47V and LM-AB120U

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...cs&items=62865|62851|

The price diff is ten bucks. I notice one is "formatted for recorders while the other for drives", but I thought one of the cool things about DVD-RAM discs was their ability to go from recorder to PC and back?? Does this mean these discs can only be used on the hardware they were formatted for? If not does it mean Panasonic is charging a premium of ten bucks for formatting the drive discs? I dunno...confused.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Bzzzt... wrong answer.. the LG DOES NOT ACCEPT RAM'S IN CARTS.

Ram's without carts = dust bunnies = read/write errors.
Youch!! that buzzer really hurt!!... Careful with that thing, bucko!!

Yes.. I am aware that it doesn't accept RAMs in carts, but I don't really care. I don't even own a RAM in a cart. I would only use the RAMs for occasional use for transferring data to the PC anyways. I have been using some cart-less RAMS since I got the recorder without any problems... No read/write errors yet. I think with a little bit of care, it's a non-issue. If one eventually gets ruined, I'll just toss it. Still be ahead of the game cost-wise compared with carts.

So, for me, I'll take double the speed anyday over carts.... (and spend the $30 saved on some 'disposable' cartless RAMs!!)

It also has DVD+R and DVD+RW capability, which the panny lacks. Another significant plus (no pun intended) in my mind...

YMMV.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I've wondered how important the cart was when using DVD-RAM. I'm about to burn my first DVD-RAM on my E80 so I have no experience with this media yet. I've seen some serious video authors adamant about devices supporting carts. Isn't the format rugged enough with its defect management features to overcome most problems? Won't a simple swipe with a soft cloth to eliminate dust be adequate or is the media too fragile for this practice?

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

If you get a dvd-ram drive for PC use, think about its possibilities for future data backup. Like your 150 MB mail folder, or exe files you download from the web (either free or paid-for). You want a reliable backup medium, and the cartridge based dvd-ram is one of the best. I put my own software on it, and would not trust cd-r, dvd-r or any unprotected medium.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 04:43 PM

The new TDK "armor plated" DVD-R,+R medium is better.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-05-2003, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The new TDK "armor plated" DVD-R,+R medium is better.
and not erasable...

post #11 of 14 Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Just noticed Buy.com has a $90 rebate (this month only) for the Panasonic LF-D521 which brings their price down to $99.99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I 'spoze they may be clearing it for the next release from Panasonic, but dang, a drive like the D521 for under 100 bucks; looks sweet.

BTW, I'm still confused about my format question above - two RAM discs sold, differring only by formatting (DVD recorder vs DVD PC drive?). So they charge more for the specific formatting? Is it easy to just format it myself? That is, easier that paying the extra 10 bucks?
post #12 of 14 Old 09-06-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor_Zaius
... BTW, I'm still confused about my format question above - two RAM discs sold, differring only by formatting (DVD recorder vs DVD PC drive?). So they charge more for the specific formatting? Is it easy to just format it myself? That is, easier that paying the extra 10 bucks?
Both of those products can be used in a PC or a DVDR. The only difference is that one comes with a cartridge.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-06-2003, 12:34 PM

No, the one that comes in the cartridge costs $9.99, without the cartridge it costs $7.99 - that $19.99 one is ridiculous. The info on the cheaper ones claims they work in both PC and DVD-recorder.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-06-2003, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right ... they both are cart RAMs. I don't know why one's so much more money. The three pack non-cart versions (LM-AF120U3 and LM-HC47V3) are the same price whether they're formatted for PC or DVDR. I would think that any of these should work fine. Notice the footnote:
Quote:
DVD-R and DVD-RAM discs that are formatted for DVD Recorders can also be used in DVD-RAM drives, but require one extra step to format the discs for use in a DVD-RAM drive.

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page