stand alone dvd recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i need help making a buy .dvd recorder? or a good capture device for tv and vcr? i already own a dvd burner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy the recorder... the headache and heartache of futzing with a cap card just aint's worth it (and this is from someone that uses a cap card for 3 years before getting a Panny).

Your time is worth more money than you might 'save'

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

thanks makes sence!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 01:44 PM

I tried a standalone DVD recorder but returned it. My PC does a much better job - use an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card with TV tuner and an Optorite DVD+-R/RW writer. I can encode in real time for similar quality to the standalone recorders but with a lot more hard disk space - 100GB+ and later edit the commercials out and burn to DVD-R/RW. I can also get super higher quality by recording to uncompressed video and offline encode to MPG2. The PC is much more versatile since you can adjust compression factors to anything you want, not just 4 or 5 modes that the standalone recorders provide and editing is much more powerful on the PC. With bigger hard drives on the PC, you get more than the $700 Panasonic E80 recorder for much less money! If you don't have a capture card and DVD writer already in your PC, you can add it for about $300 - cheaper than any standalone DVD recorder.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Price disparity is why I'm going to probably buy a standalone from the USA instead of Canada and the warranty be damned! Almost $1,000 CAD price difference between the US and Canadian prices for the Panasonic E100 make this a great deal, and with the saved money, I can include an upgrade in my computer to boot! Also, I've gone the cap card route too for way too many years, starting with old still picture cap cards all the way up to my ATI AIW 7500. I just can't put up with the slow pace of capping and conversion and the standalone is a way out. I could always buy a new capping computer system but that would mean an outlay of about $2,500 CAD which is way more than I want to throw at this "hobby" at the present time. To really utilize the computer for capping SOME material, I can use the TBC built into the E100 instead of blowing another $400 - $500 CAD on one of those. I don't know what your source is but doing VHS tapes for the past 2 years shows way too many problems and frustrations. Most of the people I chat with online won't even use analog sources at all when capping/converting. I really don't have a choice since most of the stuff I plan on converting is one-of-a-kind from old VHS and Beta tapes. You obviously have made your choice and I mine...
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2003, 05:30 PM

I prefer a stand alone dvd recorder versus a pc capture card. The set top is less flexible, but way more convenient.

If you really want PC capture, you should also consider buying a DV camera that has pass thru. It's not that much more $$ than a good capture card, and you get a DV camera that you can use elsewhere. This will also reduce the chances of having capture card driver conflicts.

If I want to edit video on the PC, I record to the set top and copy the vob files to the PC, where I can edit/author/burn a new disc.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page