Panny Record Quality Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up an E60 with the main purpose to back up old VHS tapes from camcorder and home recorded (many in the 6-hour EP mode)

Is there a known standard that correlates between the 1,2,& 4 hour Panny recording modes and VHS? For example I think that for sure, the 1 hour mode is overkill for a VHS in the EP mode, and probably even SP mode. But to my eye, even 4 hour mode looks quite excellent for EP video tapes. I can see that 6 hour looks strange.

You might say "just watch the TV and pick whatever looks good to you", but I only have a 10 year old 25 inch TV and I would hate to see all the warts come out when I get a nice large TV in the future, so even though I can trust my eyes today, I might not be able to see everything accurately with my TV.

This is why I ask if it is already known which modes equate to which mode on VHS.

Also, you can mix quality modes on a single DVD-R correct?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I never use LP & EP because they look lousy on my 53" HDTV. I don't know how modes might "equate" between VHS & DVD recorders, but I find LP & EP speeds on DVD-R worse than on VHS. That's because of annoying mpeg artifacts like macroblocks & fuzziness. If I were making DVD-Rs of VHS tapes in EP, I wouldn't go beyond 3 hours in FR mode.

Quote:
Also, you can mix quality modes on a single DVD-R correct?
Yes.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the excellent feedback!! I wondered how this stuff looks on the larger screens.

TomC
post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 01:46 PM

Of course the original VHS video looks terrible blown up on a large screen TV too - so the encoding won't help that!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

I find that XP gives me about Horizontal 480 lines of resolution while SP gives me 470 ... a wee bit less.

LP on the E10 units gave about 320 lines ... but are about 250/60 lines on the HS2 ...

Expect LP to give you VHS quality or slightly better. EP is like bad VCD ... pixelization all the time.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

When we say VHS quality, I think we imagine it to be like a pre-recorded video-tape, as good as VHS can get.

Many of my tapes are old football games recorded in 6 hour mode (VHS-EP) so I consider this to be BAD VHS which makes me think that 4 hour mode on the Panny should be good for sure on the BAD VHS, and maybe I bump it up to 3 hours on FR for the better VHS recordings.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomC
When we say VHS quality, I think we imagine it to be like a pre-recorded video-tape, as good as VHS can get.

Many of my tapes are old football games recorded in 6 hour mode (VHS-EP) so I consider this to be BAD VHS which makes me think that 4 hour mode on the Panny should be good for sure on the BAD VHS, and maybe I bump it up to 3 hours on FR for the better VHS recordings.
My wedding was camcorded by my brother in law on a VHS-C cassette and then dubbed by me onto VHS at SP speeds. It looked not so good (my brother in law's camera must have been on EP speed).

But I dubbed it on the 1 hour mode on a friend's E80 and it actually looks better, if that's possible, like some internal filtering cleaned it up a little.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2003, 04:41 PM

The E80 has an internnal TBC (time base corrector) that can improve the poor jittery video from camcorders and VCRS, so thats probably what helped. You can buy an external TBC for use with VCRs for under $200 to do that to with a DVD recorder.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM

I was reading another forum (Home Theater Discussion). There, someone asked about the quality of laser disc recordings. Someone answered (I can't remember who) that Panasonics (model not specified) had inferior analog to digital video converters. This inferiority would not show up until you got into larger screen sizes. Only recordings (he said) made at HQ quality would look decent on larger screens.

I cannot tell the different between DVD-R recordings I have made on my Panasonic E80 (or DVD+R's made with my previous Phillips DVDR985) with laser disc sources and the original laser disc, but then I currently only have a 35" display. I have always understood that laser discs in general don't hold up well on larger displays anyway. I don't know if this fellow compared the original to the copy so that might be an issue.

Anyone care to comment?
post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2003, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alan halvorson

I cannot tell the different between DVD-R recordings I have made on my Panasonic E80 (or DVD+R's made with my previous Phillips DVDR985) with laser disc sources and the original laser disc, but then I currently only have a 35" display. I have always understood that laser discs in general don't hold up well on larger displays anyway.
Anyone care to comment?
The only comment I tend to make is to remind people of NTSC's origins and that the original NTSC color spec has remained essentially unchanged since 1953. It was never meant to be blown up to the screen sizes of today. Many manufacturers have pushed NTSC way beyond any reasonable limits to satisfy the public's seemingly endless need for BIGGER! BIGGER! As a result, there is so much reprocessing circuitry in many of today's larger monitors that the realities of what your recording actually looks like is long gone.

For this reason, I'm always amused when people punch up some heavily-compressed source (such as "De-Wrecked" TV)onto a home Jumbotron and moan about the "quality".
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page