DVD-R: "Crap Shoot" or what??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-05-2004, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading tons of postings regarding DVD-R media quality I'm even more confused :confused: .

Why a specific media brand works well in a specific machine for ones and the very same disk doesn't work for others??

In the case of E-100, any general consensus?

Thanks for the help.

Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-05-2004, 09:54 AM

I completely agree, but it's been that way since the advent of computer Sea Dee burners. The problem is every disc manufacturer has to have their own dye formulation and manufacturing technology because all the competition has pateneted their's. The result is a wide range of discs with similar but not idential properties. Some burners will work with some, not others, and visa-versa. IMO this is one of the great barriers to mass consumer acceptance. I'm just not convinced Joe Consumer is going to put up technology that is this finiky.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM

For e-100, I use Fuji from BB, they are more expensive, but out 50 disks, 100% reliable. And last time I checked $2 is cheaper than a svhs tape.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-05-2004, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, it is frustrating to see the large amount of compatibility issues. i.e., I reported that BeAll brand DVD-Rs work flawlessly well with my E-80, but another member claimed the opposite.

Meritline.com offers a sample kit so one can see which brand is agreeable with a particular machine. This may be a good way to proceed.

Best Of Luck,
Peter M
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just stick with what works. I have burned upwards of 150 DVD's (PC and E80) and have yet to make a coaster. I have used:

-R
Sony
TDK

+R
Verbatim
Maxell
Imation
CompUSA Generic

+RW
Sony
CompUSA Generic

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6 of 19 Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

sivartk,
what is the failure rate (%) of your -R's?

Luck
post #7 of 19 Old 01-07-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have yet to make a coaster (have only dubbed 10 discs, though). So far I'm 10 for 10 :D

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #8 of 19 Old 01-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sivartk
I have yet to make a coaster (have only dubbed 10 discs, though). So far I'm 10 for 10 :D
I am 10 out of 10 using Bealls:D :D had a couple of "recover" errors on high speed dub on a E80 but they went away on a retry
post #9 of 19 Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

It depends on the dvd machine. The E80 and E100 have different drives and seem to like different media. I have used some brands recommended by E80 users and wound up with mostly coasters!

Wally World was selling Sony 4X at 6 for $9.97 just before xmas and I bought about 70 discs. Success rate about 80 - 85%.

I bought 50 Leda's, that seem to work fine on an E80. The success rate on my E100 is about 10 - 15%, much to my surprise!

I have 50 BeAll 4X's on order from Meritline. I will post my success with them as soon as I've had a chance to burn a few...probably in about a week, if they arrive on time.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

John,
10-15% for the Leda's is extremely frustrating, isn't?

Definitely E80 and E100 work with medias differently.
Londo has reported an incredible success rate with the same Leda's

Thanks for the tip.

Luck
post #11 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought a 50-spindle of 4X BMI media, which is Leadata OEM. On the E-100, they kept dying during the last minute of the dubbing process and put the unit into one of Panasonic's famous "death modes". However, I've not had a single problem burning them (at 1X) on the E-80.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 PM

I've used Maxell with my E80 with great success.

I am trying to go to printable DVD-Rs. A major local electronics store has a 50 disc bundle of "GQ" discs.

I've never heard of this brand. Has anyone used it with an E80 and had any success?

Thanks.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want printable, get the BeAll 1x-4x's. I've gone thru over 200 of them and had NO problems, and the printed surface is execellent (and you can print all the way to the center).

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

"GQ" is a Fry's brand. Never tried it.

My Little Theater
post #15 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Luck, yes, very disappointed with Ledas and very frustrating. Made me think my machine was bad, but have had much better luck with Sony and Verbatim. Waiting on BeAlls.

Watch out for Londo, he put me on to the Ledas...come to think of it he recommended the BeAlls to me.

He's really a good guy! Quite 'mad' but very informative and relatively harmless, as long as he has his green lab coat on. He's way ahead of most of us here (but slow to the shipping room...must be busy in the lab...hehehe). Ok, enough inside stuff.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Alan
(but slow to the shipping room...must be busy in the lab...hehehe). Ok, enough inside stuff.
I repeat.. I DESPISE MAXTOR DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Londo, Maxtor drives are like someone who smokes, drinks, and does drugs. They may perform okay when they are young, but will probably die before the rest of us :D

My Little Theater
post #18 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Travis...

you... have... no.. idea...

a solid week of work, recording, editing, chaptering, menuing, authoring, test burning (on RW), making the disc images before I started the actual burns...

if I say more, I'll start screaming...

post #19 of 19 Old 01-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

You see, I told you he was a 'mad'!
Off topic, but my best experiences have been with Western Digital and, dare I say, Maxtor. Never had a failure or lost data. Seagate on the other hand are only slightly better than IBM 'deathstar' drives.
Ten deep breaths...
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page