Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2004, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder problem
I burned some footage from my camcorder to a Memorex DVD-R a few months ago without issues.

I left the disk unfinalized because I expected to add some more data to it at a later date. Today I added that footage. It recorded OK but erased some footage at the beginning of the DVD to make room.

A call to Panasonic customer service had the rep stop short of calling me a liar as the machine is supposed to search for blank space automatically, when the record button is pressed.

I later spoke to a rep at the panny repair facility in Elgin, Ill who blamed the problem on the brand of DVD-R involved, Memorex. They said they would only guarantee recordings made on acceptable media.

She ran down a list of acceptable brands as follows: Panasonic (natch), Sony,TDK, Maxell, Verbatim (4X only). The non acceptable brands include: Memorex, Fuji, Opto..(something) and some others I've never heard of.

My next move is to buy one of the acceptable brands and duplicate what I tried to do with the Memorex. I have used the bargain brands before to archive some Tivo shows without any problems, though to be fair If haven't watched any of those recordings from beginning to end.

post #2 of 6 Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

There have been numerous issues with Memorex DVD-Rs. Although some people have reported success with the 4x media.

However, what you are saying doesn't make sense. You cannot erase material from a DVD-R to make room. Once its written the space is not available for use.

Are you sure that the footage that you think was deleted was actually recorded ?

I suggest finalizing the disk and see if it plays correctly in the E50 or other players.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-17-2004, 07:10 AM

It is my understanding that erasures on DVD-R disks DO NOT create more space in that they are "write once" disks. Do you mean DVD-RAM, per chance?

Bill Reeves
post #4 of 6 Old 03-17-2004, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Did'nt make sense to the tech reps either. The original recorded footage was of a visit to Mt Rushmore. When I attempted to add footage of an acrobatic air show the Rushmore footage disappeared because the air show footage was longer and took it's place.

That's why that first Panasonic rep did'nt believe me at first. The second panny rep accepted my story (why would I lie) and suggested I call and talk to the repair tech who decided that it had to be the media at fault.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any portion of the air show footage there or did the entire air show recording "disappear". Sure it was the same disk. What you are describing is simply NOT POSSIBLE on a DVD-R.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2004, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its possible that one or more sessions became unreadable and may have appeared to have "disappeared", but just because they aren't visible to the recorder anymore doesn't mean that they no longer exist (of course a lot of good that does you).

Its also very possible that these sessions "disappeared" at the same time that you added new sessions, and that there is no real connection between the two, only coincidence. What is NOT possible is "recording over" existing sessions with new ones, like one might with videotape. It's a "write once" medium, and therefore by definition, you can't overwrite older sessions.

I've never seen this discussed, and I could be very, very wrong about this, but it seems to me that "erasing" a session from a DVDR may not really erase it, but it may just remove any pointers to it or zero out cataloging info sort of like on a hard drive. It would make sense, after all, since you really can't overwrite. If that's true, there should be ways to recover "erased" sessions though software on a PC or Mac.

There is a limit to the times you can write new sessions to a disk, and finalization will eventually be needed. Otherwise, there comes a point where the startup routines, which include a short test burn, can no longer occur. In fact, if you leave a blank disk in your DVDR and turn the power off and back on 100 times without finalizing, it will probably reach that point and become unuseable just from going through that routine 100 times.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page