Londo's Toshiba RD-XS32 dissection thread.. - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 647 Old 06-19-2004, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
jmscott42, you've been working with Toshiba to make them aware of the black level problem? That's great. I hope this means they won't make the same mistake with the RD-XS53.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 647 Old 06-23-2004, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my XS32 for a week now. My opinion regarding the black level bug is that it really isn't as a big a deal as some have made it out to be. I've played back dvd-r's I've burned with the XS32 using my spare cheapo Apex dvd player. I have yet to see a recording that looks "washed out" on the Apex. They all looked fine. I also transferred some VHS home videos to DVD-r for my parents who own an older Sony dvd player without enhanced black level. The recordings didn't appear washed out on their Sony either. I'm sure the black-level bug does exist. It just isn't something you'll really notice most of the time. Anyone shopping around for a dvd recorder should not let that deter them from considering the XS32. I'd still recommend it. I haven't had any trouble learning how to use it's many features, even with the crappy manual it comes with.

Last night I came across a cool trick that allows me to transfer my VHS tapes and old Hi8 camcorder videos to the XS32 via the DV input. My Sony TRV27 miniDV camcorder has a nifty feature called analog-to-DV pass-through mode. I connect my VHS or other analog device to the audio/video inputs on the TRV27. The TRV27 converts the incoming stream to DV format on-the-fly and outputs the DV through it's i-Link Firewire port. In the past I've used this method to transfer VHS recordings to my PC with success. The TRV27 has a built-in TBC for getting rid of jitter common with old VHS recordings and even does DNR. Just for kicks, I tried using the analog-to-DV pass-through mode to transfer a VHS recording to the XS32 via the DV input. It worked! There was some trickery involved. When you start recording from the DV input, the XS32 assumes it's recording from a DV tape loaded in the camcorder. The XS32 automatically instructs the camcorder to start playing the tape as soon as you start recording. So I had to load a blank DV tape in the camcorder. As soon as it starts recording, I hit the Stop button on the TRV27 to stop playback of the tape. The XS32 continues recording, but it's now being fed the analog-to-DV stream originating from the VHS.
I haven't decided if I'll continue to use this method for transferring my VHS and Hi8 recordings to DVD-r. The PQ of recordings made using this method looks about the same as directly connecting to the XS32's analog inputs. I am curious though if using the DV pass-through method would prevent the XS32 from recording at the incorrect black-level? If I understand correctly, my TRV27 camcorder outputs 0 IRE through the iLink Firewire port. Due to the black-level bug, the XS32 is expecting 0 IRE, not 7.5 IRE. So wouldn't it be recording at the correct black level when using the DV input?
post #183 of 647 Old 06-28-2004, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
A question to all RDXS30/32 owners who use their machines to edit and archive camcorder footage. How clean are your edits? I understand that in common with MPEG standard, the Toshiba only cuts at the nearest I frame (up to half a second away from where you marked the chapter divide) so you can gain a few frames you thought you had deleted. That's not a problem so long as the join itself is clean. I hear the Pioneer models pause in freezeframe and lose audio at the edit points. How does the Tosh behave?
post #184 of 647 Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 PM

I just bought a rd-xs32 3 nights ago and am still learning it but wanted to mention that I have not ecperienced the so called 'black leve' problem on my equipment though I've only burned one -RW disk on the Toshiba thus far.

My testing method is simple as follows:

First I recorded a VHS tape on to the Toshiba's h-drive and then burned to a -RW. Next I simultaneously played it back off the Toshiba hard drive and my Liteon LVD-2001 dvd player on a Phillips 27 inch tv. I then swiched the channels back and forth between the 2 inputs on the tv and could see virtually no problem as some have described.

I also repeated the test using a cyberhome DVD player and experienced no problem as well. There were some very minor color/tone differences between the out put of the toshiba and the 2 dvd players. After having owned 5 dvd players now that is not unsusual as no 2 players I've every had will playback 100% identically where color is concerend off store bought DVd's. Again the differences are extremly minor here.

In other forums I've read ppl who actually own the machine say this problem is greatly exxagerated. I see a lot of post also saying 'don't buy it- black level problem' but they don't post anything else as if they are repeating something they've read rathar then owning the machine and testing it themselves. I'm not saying the problem does not exist - perhaps I'm just lucky and my mix of equipment won't show the problem. Black level problem aside - this is a wonderful machine from what I can see so far but will need much much more time to examine all the features. I did expererince one problem, I tried to reforamt a -RW disk and the machine froze up 105 of the way thru it so i had to unplug it and then it reformatted fine the 2nd and 3rd time I tried it.

Geordie I will be getting to your question next when I have more time to try the editing /chapter functions.
post #185 of 647 Old 07-03-2004, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also bought mine last week and haven't noticed the black level problem. I'm glad I purchased this over the E85 since I think it's a better deal and does the job for now. I'm planning to upgrade as soon as there are better units on the market so I didn't want to buy the highest end one out there and just needed something to get buy with.
post #186 of 647 Old 07-03-2004, 05:03 PM

Probably a good idea - I usually don't buy extended service warranties but I did get one from Best Buy for year/99$ mainly because I've read that many ppl have had the hard drives wear out. I don't mean just the toshiba but all brands. In 4 years there will be something 10 times better out probably for less money but I'm really happy to be able to start getting my VHs tape collection on DVd now before they deteriorate further.

As for the black level thing - it seems like most ppl who say they have the problem bought their units back in April and May.I have not read anything but am wondering if perhaps Toshiba quietly fixed the problem on the later production runs in the US. Last night I took 2 DVd I made on the toshiba to my friends house and he has a 35 inch plasma display and it looked very good there too. If you're considering this machine and worried about black level - best buy will let you keep it for 30 days to test it so you're out nothing if you have the problem. Just be sure to ask the return policy as different stores may have somewhat different policies.
post #187 of 647 Old 07-03-2004, 05:07 PM

sorry i typo'd above. The extended servicepolicy is 4 years for 99$ at best buy on the toshiba. They will also clean it every 6 months they say if you bring it in when you buy the policy. Considering the overall cost of the units and the number of moving parts I think it may be worth the money.
post #188 of 647 Old 07-03-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art99
As for the black level thing - it seems like most ppl who say they have the problem bought their units back in April and May.I have not read anything but am wondering if perhaps Toshiba quietly fixed the problem on the later production runs in the US.
I was also wondering if Toshiba perhaps fixed the black level bug. I purchased my RD-XS32 from Best Buy on June 14th. I've yet to experience the black level problem. All the discs I've burned so far have looked normal when played back on other dvd players.

There is a way to find out if any firmware updates have been made in later production runs. If you click Setup on the XS32 remote and go to the Management Settings screen, it lists the version of the firmware installed. On mine, it lists:

Software Version: ZL10
DVD Drive Software: 1309

If anyone bought their XS32 back in April when the XS32 came out, please post your firmware version numbers. I'd be curious to see if the firmware has changed.
post #189 of 647 Old 07-03-2004, 08:43 PM

I have the same firmware installed in mine as well. I'm curious if the ppl posting info saying they had black level probs have a different version perhaps. I do find it odd though that only about 10% off ppl say they have the black level problem (ppl who actually have bought the machines instead of parrotting something they read about the mackine 3 months ago) but their postings are all at least 2 months old. I have seen none by ppl who purchased the machine since June 1 and I have endlessly searched for info on this machine before buying. Anyway I have over 3 weeks left before the time runs out before I can take it back and am leaning strongly toward keeping it unlesss I find some other intolerable problem. Toshiba is coming out with a new machine - forget the model # but it is similar and has a latger hard drive. When my month is up with this I may see if i can swap it for that one provided there isn't much a of a cost increase. I am in love with that DVR function - I can honestly say it will change my life positively.

Cheers
post #190 of 647 Old 07-04-2004, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Geordie asked:
> How clean are your edits? I understand that in common with MPEG standard, the Toshiba only cuts at the nearest I frame... I hear the Pioneer models pause in freezeframe and lose audio at the edit points. How does the Tosh behave? <

There is a brief pause with muted audio, similar to my Panasonic E80, though it seemed a bit less (may have been my imagination). In any event, it's not objectionable. Don't know about the Pioneer.

Art99 commented:
> wanted to mention that I have not ecperienced the so called 'black leve' problem on my equipment... <

Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean it's not there. But if you're happy with it, that's really all that matters.

> In other forums I've read ppl who actually own the machine say this problem is greatly exxagerated. <

I wish that were true.

> I see a lot of post also saying 'don't buy it- black level problem' but they don't post anything else as if they are repeating something they've read rathar then owning the machine and testing it themselves. <

Right, they're just trying to save someone grief, who might be unaware of Toshiba's massive screwup.

> I'm not saying the problem does not exist - perhaps I'm just lucky and my mix of equipment won't show the problem. <

That's fine if it works out for you.

> Black level problem aside - this is a wonderful machine from what I can see so far but will need much much more time to examine all the features. <

I agree. I've tried all the Pannys, the Sharp, and the Toshiba, and the Toshiba was my favorite by good measure. Loads of features and very good UI (unlike the Sharp, which was extremely poor). I've heard numerous complaints from users about Toshiba manuals, yet I think they're actually quite good (though there is a lot to read). Unfortunately, there was no question that the DVD-Rs I burned from Toshiba recordings definitely DID have the black-level problem, and they looked obviously washed out on my calibrated display. Of course, I could go in and flip a setting to correct that on virtually all of my DVD players, but who wants to hassle with that every time you switch between DVD-Rs recorded on different boxes? Plus, discs I recorded for family/friends would also be bogus, and they may not be able to compensate (or even know they should... just that the DVD looks sucky).

> I usually don't buy extended service warranties but I did get one from Best Buy for year/99$ mainly because I've read that many ppl have had the hard drives wear out. <

That's interesting. I haven't heard of ANYBODY having their hard drive wear out, though there have been a handful that went defective in the first 90 days. Since a replacement 80-gig Maxtor HD can be had for ~$60 (if you ever do need it), I'm not convinced the extended warranty is a good deal for anyone except the sellers.

> As for the black level thing - it seems like most ppl who say they have the problem bought their units back in April and May.I have not read anything but am wondering if perhaps Toshiba quietly fixed the problem on the later production runs in the US. <

That would be wonderful if they did (and it certainly seems like it would be possible to do so), but I bought my unit from Best Buy in June, and returned it less than 30-days later. Unfortunately, even though I looked at the version information on my unit, I neglected to write it down for later comparison.

Remember that Panasonic "fixed" the black-level problem (which they eventually admitted to) on their E30 units, by obsoleting them with newer models (i.e., they never fixed the E30 at all).

> They will also clean it every 6 months they say if you bring it in when you buy the policy. <

You're joking, right?

> Considering the overall cost of the units and the number of moving parts I think it may be worth the money. <

The only moving parts besides the hard drive are the DVD drive spindle motor, and the disc eject mechanism. With all the DVD players and recorders I've owned, the only problem I've ever experienced with the mechanism was an intermittent problem with the drawer on a Sampo, due to a loose wire.

> I do find it odd though that only about 10% off ppl say they have the black level problem <

I don't find it odd at all. That's pretty much what I would expect. Back when I bought my Panny E30, I recorded hundreds of DVDs, and watched them (on the Panny), never realizing there was a bug in the unit until I read about it here, then went and confirmed it for myself. And I'm considerably more technically-oriented than more buyers.

> (ppl who actually have bought the machines instead of parrotting something they read about the mackine 3 months ago) but their postings are all at least 2 months old. I have seen none by ppl who purchased the machine since June 1 and I have endlessly searched for info on this machine before buying. <

Yeah, well, denigrate them all you want, but until I read a report from a respected member of the Forum who has actually performed a stringent test of a newer (later build) unit that can confirm that the problem has been fixed (which Toshiba hasn't even admitted exists yet), I consider the RD-XS32 a non-viable option, which is a shame. How they could F-up such an obvious technical issue, when they got so much else right and have option settings for things their competitors haven't even thought of, is a real mystery to me.

- Tim

- Tim
post #191 of 647 Old 07-04-2004, 05:09 PM

If we can send a $100 million probe all the way to Mars and program it with the wrong conversion units so it plunges at the wrong angle and burns up in the Martian atmosphere, then Toshiba can mess up the black level.
post #192 of 647 Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 PM

No I am not joking about best buy cleaning the machines every 6 months if you buy a service policy. Whether this is true at every store I don't know but at mine it is standard polucy for VCR and DVd player purchases. Within a mile of the store is a Circuit City, CompUSA , Sears and one smaller local electronics store and it is cutthroat compettion so perhaps that is why.

After having a pc now for over 15 years and having 3 hard drives fail on me shortly after the warranties expired, I think it is reasonable to assume one could fail in one of these units as well. I work at night and nearly all myTV shows will be recorded on the hard drive and then later be watched off it - so that alone is about 8 hours a day of usage - considerably more hours per day than I used my pc's that had failed drives. I also have at least 150 VHS tapes I will want to record and burn at some point - to me that is a good deal of usage. I read somewhere that one manuafacturer (sorry can't recall which one) reccomened ppl do not leave important material on the hard drive and burn quickly in the event of a h-drive failure. Given my bad experience with hard drives I felt paying 25$/year to ensure 4 years of operation was fairly minimal for a product I paid well over 600$ for including tax. The warranty on the machine is only 1 year as I recall which isn't all that good considering the price.

I find it odd that you said your recorded 200 VHS tapes and never even noticed any kind of black level problem until you read abot it later. That leads me to believe it must be quite minor and pretty much unoticeable unless you are actually looking for it. I believe earlier in this thread someone made a pst saying that all the brands had some kind of problems toshiba -black level philips - white level etc and that none reproduced the source 100 % accurately. So I guess the question is if you a consumer who demands 100% perfection in every product you buy or if you are one like most ppl who do not consider a minor flaw most ppl (like including yourself) can't even notice until after they've read about it somewhere. The bottom line is 'try before you buy' and see for yourself no matter what brand you buy. I'm no expert on firmware but it's possible many probs can be fixed with an upgrade I'd imagine. Unfortunately it is common now for companaies to release products before they are perfected as has been the case with software for years.

This is a guess - I did not actually compile stats - but I'd say about 90% of the user reviews i've read gave the Tosh rave reviews and 10% mentioned some ofher problem and half of those said it was very minor. To me that indicates a pretty good product and satisfied user base. Keep in mind that there are folks around who will write negative things about a company they may of had a bad expereince with and there are also some who report problems they had simply because they did not connect or operate the device properly. User reviews are very subjective and you must take them with a large grain of salt. There are ceretain ppl who demand 100% perfection in everything they purchase (liike my sister -she's fun to go out to eat with too :P ) and they will trash a product for things so minor that average person can't even notice the problem. While I think it's good that a small percentage of ppl will report probs like black level - when the great majority praise the machine and report no problems I find it reasonable to assume that is is a good product wirthy of consideration. I have yet to see any product where every person was 100% satisfied. If your goal is to find such a product - good Luck finding it. Every band of these machines has some type of flaw as is the case with any newer type of technology.

If you want to talk about major blunders - how about Panasonic only oferring DVD-ram as the rewritable media on many of their machines? How many ppl have dvd-rom players/TV dvd players that can use these ? To me that is way more serious than a small visual defect which most ppl can't even detect.

cheers
post #193 of 647 Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixCoyote
Software Version: ZL10
DVD Drive Software: 1309

If anyone bought their XS32 back in April when the XS32 came out, please post your firmware version numbers. I'd be curious to see if the firmware has changed. [/b]
Both the XS32's I have access to have the same firmware, and both have black level issues.

(guess I should add both were bought in late March)
post #194 of 647 Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Art99 wrote:
> No I am not joking about best buy cleaning the machines every 6 months if you buy a service policy. <

Sigh. The joke isn't that BB Service Policies cover cleaning. Rather, what is there to clean on a DVD recorder?

> I find it odd that you said your recorded 200 VHS tapes and never even noticed any kind of black level problem until you read abot it later. <

I never said I recorded any VHS tapes at all. I said I recorded hundreds of DVDs (off satellite), and also explained the reason why I didn't notice the defect in the E30 right away, since they seem fine if played back in the same machine that recorded them. There's really nothing odd about that at all.

> That leads me to believe it must be quite minor and pretty much unoticeable unless you are actually looking for it. <

Not at all. It was glaringly obvious to me the minute I played them back on a different player. As were the DVDs I made from my Toshiba recordings.

> I believe earlier in this thread someone made a pst saying that all the brands had some kind of problems toshiba -black level philips - white level etc and that none reproduced the source 100 % accurately. <

I don't recall that, but such a statement would be blatently incorrect. I know for certain that the Panasonic E50 and beyond (my E80, for example) do not have any such problems.

> there are folks around who will write negative things about a company they may of had a bad expereince with and there are also some who report problems they had simply because they did not connect or operate the device properly. <

What kind of mud-slinging is this? If you're impuning either my integrity or my competence, you're way off base.

> User reviews are very subjective and you must take them with a large grain of salt. <

There's no salt involved in the fact that the Toshiba RD-XS32 has a black-level problem. That's a fact. Some people will find it acceptable, but at least they need to be aware of it so they can make up their own minds. Do you work for Toshiba?

> So I guess the question is if you a consumer who demands 100% perfection in every product you buy... <

No, if that were the case then I'd never buy anything. Unfortunately, the RD-XS32 is defective. I wish it weren't, because otherwise it's a great machine in many ways. Getting the black level right is important to me. Apparently, it's not to you. And as I said initially, that's fine. I'm glad you're satisfied with it.

OTOH, you're acting as an apologist for Toshiba, spreading comments along the lines of 'maybe the problem's been fixed' and 'if it's there it's so minor no one would notice', and suggesting that people who DO notice are being unreasonably picky. That does a disservice to the Forum readers, and I'm not going to let it pass without comment.

> If you want to talk about major blunders - how about Panasonic only oferring DVD-ram as the rewritable media on many of their machines? <

That wasn't a blunder. It was a conscious design decision. Just like the decision that Toshiba made when they disabled VR-mode recording on RW media.

- Tim

- Tim
post #195 of 647 Old 07-13-2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmscott42
Toshiba has not confirmed it. I am in the process of sending them the "proof" they've requested, but I can definitely confirm there IS a black level bug.

[...]

Anyway, it could ***POSSIBLY*** be fixed in firmware. It depends how their MPEG2 encoder works. I would say the odds are very slim, though-- the official "fix" would most likely be buy the first model they release with the problem fixed.
So, it's been about a month, what's the status of this? Made any traction with Toshiba?

Del Rio
post #196 of 647 Old 07-14-2004, 12:39 AM

After going back and forth deciding whether or not to keep my XS32, I ended up returning it to Best Buy today. The 30 day window for returning the unit for a refund was up tomorrow. The reason I returned it had nothing to do with the black level bug, which I never really experienced in the month I had it. I'd HIGHLY recommend the Toshiba XS32 to anyone looking to buy a dvd recorder right now. I have nothing but praise for it. In the last month I transferred many of my VHS and camcorder recordings to DVD-R. It didn't take me very long at all to get accustomed to the process and all the settings. The user interface is intuitive and easy to work with. The only reason I ended up returning it was the Toshiba XS53 coming out in October. The XS53 has some features I feel are worth waiting 3 months for. One of them being the Ethernet port for internet connectivity, allowing you to access an electronic program guide, and be able to remotely program the DVR using a PC, PDA or cell phone. This will REALLY come in handy on those days where I get to work and realize I forgot to program the DVR to record a show. And the hard drive in the XS53 will be 160GB, twice the size of the one in the XS32. I know I'm going to miss having the XS32 the next couple months while I wait for the XS53. But I'm sure I'll be happy with my decision come October.
post #197 of 647 Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delrio
So, it's been about a month, what's the status of this? Made any traction with Toshiba?
Well, due to some health issues, it took me a while to get everything I wanted to send together, but I shipped everything off to Toshiba fairly recently (sorry to anyone hanging on every word! :). I'm not sure when or if I'll hear anything back, but you can be sure that Toshiba now KNOWS of the problem. Whether or not they do anything about it (either for current owners, or future generations) or deny the whole thing still in the face of evidence is an entirely different question.

If I do hear anything back (They know how to reach me) I'll definitely let everyone know...
post #198 of 647 Old 07-15-2004, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 216
thanks, jmscott42. You're a peach (or insert your own most favored fruit).

post #199 of 647 Old 07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem... thanks should also go to dr1394 for actually running the tests that got shipped out.

And to let people know, I also sent them examples of discs that were burned "too fast" (i.e., 4x "recommended brand" discs that came out unreadable, even on a PC). I'm really pushing for a burn speed control in future models (so you could throttle down to 2X on a 4X disc). I have a feeling that won't go anywhere ("everyone has a coaster"... uhm, I never have coastered a Taiyo Yuden or Maxell disc on my PC burner before!)
post #200 of 647 Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

i just purchased the rd-xs32 on July 15th. it is recording its first video now. i will compare it directly to the source, through another dvd player, as soon as it is finished. the software: ZL10, drive: 1309.....same as those mentioned earlier in the post.

i have high hopes for this unit, but in case i notice the black level.....i also purchased a panasonic dmr-e80h at circuit city(open box, <$325). we will see what happens. i don't know if the black level is something that might have been fixed by now, but i suspect not. either way, i will know in about an hour. i'll post later with the results.

thanks to all of you who have put in such hard work and determination. without you guys, forums like this would be nothing but babble about "look what i just bought, it's the coolest thing in the world to me".

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting." -- Dick Vermeil
post #201 of 647 Old 07-15-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The XS32 is really a nice machine. I still use it almost exclusively over my open box E80 because I like the results it produces (in the sense of well-edited, higher quality video, polished looking discs). As long as your DVD player of choice has an enhanced black mode, you're really good to go.

I doubt the black level bug is fixed (I didn't specifically ask Toshiba about the rumours of an XS-32a but I will if I am in contact with them again!) in new models, but unless you're in a position that it will really cause you problems (player set to 7.5IRE, trading with lots of people), my guess is you'll probably get more use out of the XS32 than E80. :)
post #202 of 647 Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

well, there was a very noticeable difference, and i'm not quite sure that i can live with it. as far as the recorder itself goes, i thought it was pretty straight forward and easy to use, but the black levels are worse than i had anticipated. the one thing that i will probably miss if i go with the panasonic is the DV input for my camcorder, but i have already gotten use to doing my DVD creation for it on my PC, so it might not be that big of a concern. i will mull it over this evening, but if i had to decide this moment, the toshiba would probably go back.

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting." -- Dick Vermeil
post #203 of 647 Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 PM

AV Forums > AV Hardware : Sources > DVD Recorders and media > Improvement list ffor the Tosh RDXS32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Full Version : Improvement list ffor the Tosh RDXS32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nunew33
Thought id start a thread to state improvements that could be made to RDXS32 that I will send to Toshiba. Im looking for things they could easily change especially software fixes. You never know! After a few weeks use now there are some petty annoying things that could easily be improved. Im sure others will be able to contribute.

1) The Flap. These things always wear out especially when delete and numeric buttons are under them. Having them on the reverse would be better.

2) Delete button: I know its in the quick menu, but either way deleting is a frequent event, the option should be a direct one, especially as you get a prompt anyway.

3) Onscreen keyboard: Why cant we have texting style entry, preemptive texting or a USB port for a keyboard. It really is a faff on long titles especially if you are anal like me and like to label your chapters

4) After deletion it always reverte back to TV not back to the screen you are working on. It is so annoying to have to press content menu, delete, yes, and then content menu to get back to content menu

5) Use of a folder structure in content menu. After 18 entries it becomes a chore to organise things, having files would make it a lot easier, genre isnt powerful enough

6) Keeping active signal processisng on when in standby mode (ie can still use componant out when feeding from scart

7) Scart wake up

8) -RW VR mode

Any other owners care to add?

GoldFish
Digital turner
EPG
Teletext subtitle recording
RF out with selectable channel
Better layout of remote control
Auto programme labeling using EPG
DD 5.1 recording
Cook my dinner
Make tea
Iron my shirt……

…. Oopps.. just got carried away…. :grin:

nunew33
Better layout of remote control
Cook my dinner
Make tea
Iron my shirt……

One for all do something that does all this..its called a wife.

liteswap
- Definitely better title entry system -- eg T9, texting style or, best of all, a keyboard.
- Delete key on main keyboard
- Return to content screen after eg chapter editing
- Quieter fan, or better still, no fan
- Allow editing of programming durng recording

nunew33
Looking at that though EPG is a tough one as there isnt a clear comprehensive EPG with an assured future. For example the Philips employ the gemstar one in the UK. But despite the Panny E85 US model having the US version of it, it was left out of the UK model. Kind of hints lack of faith in it. So anything that theyd use would be limited.

Same for teletext, it has a limited life

On the Digital tuner. I agree componant cost must be a fiver! Id pay £40 extra for it on a recorder.

Barzo
The below are nothing new, but emphasise what has already been said:

*Scart/Ext Timer Link (called 'Scart wake-up' earlier)
* Folder divisions on Content Menu or through Library Menu and/or option to show items in a name list without thumbnail icons
* Delete Function returns to content screen (although, to be fair, if one uses the Del Selected Items option on the Edit Menu, the problem does not arise)

While I agree with a number of the other observations, it does seem that some of them might not be possible by simple software upgrade. I would hope the above would (provided, of course, the Scart's are wired to accept a start-up signal, which, given the need for the 'Satmon' function, I doubt they are).

PerryGunn
- Option for Automatic SATMON
i.e. SATMON automatically switched on/off when going into/out of standby

------------

As an aside, I'm using RGB in & RGB out on the SCARTs and I notice a left shifting of the picture compared to the original (the shift is not there if I use video out on the SCART). It really shows up when using things like the NTL programme guide which is no longer appears central.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If so, I'd like to add

- Horizontal RGB shift compensation setting

nunew33
funny you should mention that as one edge of the timebar is off screen in RGB

Dark Eyes
Well, if the US model has the Recording DNR options, then they can give them back to us UK folks, as they would help with transferring old 'nth generation' VHSs.

I would also find it useful if they included the date in the 2nd line of the title, when you have bothered to pre-title an individual recording - like they do for repeat recordings.

And definitely nunew33's points 4 & 5.

PerryGunn
funny you should mention that as one edge of the timebar is off screen in RGB

yep, and the 'remain' bar - the whole picture is left-shifted.

Nice to know it's not just me old eyes playing up... (now when I were a lad...)

Perry

vBulletin v3.0.1, Copyright Å*2000-2004, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
post #204 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 02:57 AM

I've been reading this thread with great interest ever since I discovered the Toshiba RD-XS32 has the two most important features I've been waiting forever for from Sony (HDD and IR Blaster) which I recently learned will only be in their flagship model, and not until November (sigh). Seriously considered the RD-XS32 over the past few days, but in the end decided the black level bug would probably bother me eventually. So, I'm curious if the Toshiba RD-XS53 will actually be out in October, and whether or not it will be available in Canada at such time. Been stuck with my lousy VCR ever since taking the Pioneer back last winter and am so sick of waiting for just the right PVR to come along, lol. Anybody with the straight facts, please post them. Thanks! :)

PS: I gather from my limited research here (I don't come by very often) that Londo ended up hating the Panasonic E85 even more than the Toshiba it replaced? I was excited when I read in another thread that the E85 perhaps had IR blaster abilities, but after reading Londo's thread on it (which was before reading this one), I decided to stear clear of them. ;)
post #205 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 08:14 AM

This will help you.

DVD Recorders
Toshiba also announced today the introduction of three new DVD Recorders. The new recorders come in three different combinations to meet the varied desires of this emerging market: DVD Recorder, DVD recorder and VHS, and a DVD Recorder with a built-in hard disc drive.

The highlight of the new recorder line-up is the RD-XS53 (October 2004, $699.99). This model features a 160GB hard disc drive, providing over 275 hours of digital recording time. The unit allows users to record and playback their favorite TV shows as well as compiling personal movie libraries for archiving and preserving family videos. The RD-XS53 is one of the first DVD recorder models to incorporate High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMIâ„¢) with upconversion capability to 720p or 1080i. This single cable connection provides the highest quality interface between a DVD player and a compatible HD television, ensuring that all the signals remain in their pure digital form. The RD-XS53 also provides users with an easy-to-navigate TV Guide On Screenâ„¢ Interactive Program Guide. This simple to use guide provides television programming information for up to 8 days.

The new Toshiba D-VR3 (July 2004, $499.99) combines Toshiba's high quality DVD recorder technology with VHS capability. The D-VR3 allows users to simply archive home videos of favorite VHS tapes to DVD within the same device.

Toshiba also introduced the D-R3 (October 2004, $349.99) DVD Recorder. The D-R3 offers DVD recording capability on either DVD-RAM or DVD-R. A front DV input, as well as front panel A/V input jacks, allows for easy transfer of camcorder recordings directly onto DVD media.

All Toshiba DVD recorders feature Digital Cinema Progressive Scan output, Colorstreamâ„¢ Pro Component Video Outputs, Multimedia playback for JPEGs and MP3 titles, and a Zoom mode. The line also features 3-D Virtual Surround Sound and Digital Noise Reduction and a front panel digital video (DV) input, which allow user to digitally transfer home movies to DVD or a hard disc drive from a camcorder via the digital video terminal.

Toshiba's line of DVD recorders share a stylish cosmetic look that will complement all Toshiba display devices, particularly flat panel displays.

post #206 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clovisguy
This will help you.

[ description of RD-XS53, D-VR3, & D-R3 removed ]
Well, the RD-XS53 certainly sounds like a great unit. But what will actually help is if Toshiba gets their act together and stops issuing devices for the north american market with the IRE 0 black level bug. It's amazing that a company that's as good as Toshiba at video technology (and I don't think anyone would argue that) can keep making this elementary error...

Del Rio
post #207 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 11:51 AM

I purchased a RD-XS32 two days ago at BestBuy (I took back a Sony RDR-GX7, which was a slightly better recorder but had no HDD). I do find there is a small black level issue, but this does not in any way wash out the picture in general. In back scenes there is some dustiness in the black, but the overall picture is very good.

I did find one other small issue, however. I was playing a satellite broadcast through the television directly and played the audio through the Toshiba (and my receiver) at the same time, and there was a very small lip-sync issue where I could hear an echo. It was too small to notice when the only playing through one source.

Overall I like the Toshiba but may take it back and wait for the upgrade in October. Perhaps BestBuy will agree to swap at the time, but I suspect not. I will ask before my 30 days are up.
post #208 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 12:10 PM

I took my XS32 back as well. Everything in the unit was fine. The only thing that bothered me was the quality of picture when playing back dvd's made on the unit to another dvd player. Trying the same dvd that i made played great on the XS32, and a yamaha 2300, but terrible on a sony725, and a JVC model. Besides this reason, I changed my mind and hopefully, the new model will correct this problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Oh, I have many skills......
post #209 of 647 Old 07-18-2004, 03:05 PM

Thanks all. By the way I just did a search and found this page containing a bit of conflicting info from what was posted above:

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/dvd/j/lineup/hdd/rd-xs53.html

Based on the translation, it sounds like the RD-XS53 is supposed to have dual tuners (cool) and a 320 GB HDD (to record up to around 570 hours). Can anyone confirm this as true? Sure wish Babel Fish would work properly for the page that the "Specification detail" link near the bottom goes to (to much for it to handle I think).

I so want to go out and spend my credit on the Toshiba RD-XS32, but I just know the black level bug will bother me. Even if I couldn't see it now (since DVD recording is not my priority ATM) I just know it would niggle in the back of my mind, especially when the newer units come out. Plus you never know what you'll be doing in the future. A non-issue can suddenly become a big issue out of the blue, and usually ends up being the case when you think otherwise lol. Nah, I'll wait. Too many people here saying they've taken theirs back. ;)
post #210 of 647 Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 PM

I'd like to know what BestBuy will do with all these RD-XS32s you folks are returning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page