16:9 recording and DVD recorders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 155 Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
geekd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm confused.

I've seen people mention that they are able to record shows in 16:9 on DVD recorders, but I don't see how this is possible.

All the DVD recorders, as far as I can tell, only have composite or s-video inputs. I would need component inputs to record 16:9.

Maybe it's just my setup. I get digital cable from Cox. The ony 16:9 signal I get is on the high-def channels, which only come through the component outs on my cable box.

I'm not worried about recording in high-def. My TV is an EDTV plasma, so 480p is all I can view anyway. I just want to be able to record in 480p in 16:9.

How can I do this? Are there DVD recorders with component inputs?

I kind of asked this in another thread, but I worded and titled it poorly.


Thanks,

-geekd
geekd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 155 Old 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Philips recorders have 480i (not 480p) component inputs. If you can output 480i from your Cox digital cable, good.

It's also possible to record 16x9 with S-Vid, but it depends on your cable box being able to send a 16x9 image squeezed into a 4x3 frame, i.e. format or aspect control. Some won't.

On my DirecTV Sony HD200 receiver, I tune to a HDTV channel and view a 16x9 program. I press the format button on the remote to toggle "squeezed," and record to the S-Vid input of the DVDR.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #3 of 155 Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
DeanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sunland, California, USA
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Sony RDR-GX7 can record 16x9 high definition programming (which is output and downrezzed by the STB to 480i) through the recorder's S-Video inputs. The resulting recording is a stellar 16x9 (i.e. 'letter boxed') image that can rival the images of commercially available DVDs. I have recorded many movies (HBO-HD) and specials (PBS-HD) this way for my own personal use and am very pleased with the results!!
DeanS is offline  
post #4 of 155 Old 05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 185
When is Sony going to come out with a hard drive recorder already!!?? Then all will be right in my world. :D

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
CruelInventions is online now  
post #5 of 155 Old 05-05-2004, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jerndl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also interested in recording downconverted HD material via s-video. I know these 16:9 recordings will playback fine on my 16:9 monitor. My questions is - which DVD recorders (if any) will allow you to set the 16:9 flag so that the discs will also playback fine on a 4:3 monitor? Thanks.

Jay
jerndl is offline  
post #6 of 155 Old 05-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Member
 
spiderman2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"CruelInventions" sony has alot of problem's with there DVD burner's. Pioneer 510 recorder 16:9
spiderman2k1 is offline  
post #7 of 155 Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
I am also interested in recording downconverted HD material via s-video. I know these 16:9 recordings will playback fine on my 16:9 monitor. My questions is - which DVD recorders (if any) will allow you to set the 16:9 flag so that the discs will also playback fine on a 4:3 monitor? Thanks.

Jay
The Pioneer and Sony at least, but with a BIG caveat...

In order for these units to recognize and set the 16x9 flag, the broadcast must have it embedded into line 23 of the vertical blanking interval. Most HD set top boxes don't do it! I know of only one that does, there may be others, but take it for what it's worth. The one that does, is the DirecTV Hughes HTL and Sony HD300 (same unit under the skin).

That said, it's a trivial matter to take your recording to the PC and use the PC to set it, but you have to have a PC DVD burner.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #8 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 AM
Member
 
djbradster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very interested in this thread. I record via S-Video out of my Hughes box into both my SD SA Tivo and Cyberhome DVD+R. Both look awesome on the HD set. However the aspect ration is wrong on SD sets via the DVD. You mentioned that it's trivial to change this flag using a PC...would you mind giving a play by play on that?

Thanks,
Brad
djbradster is offline  
post #9 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Member
 
Falco533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont have any problems recording 16:9 and playing back 16:9
Loewe widescreen TV, Pioneer 510 DVD Recorder, Humax Satellite Decoder going to the Pioneer.
Falco533 is offline  
post #10 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Falco533
I dont have any problems recording 16:9 and playing back 16:9
Loewe widescreen TV, Pioneer 510 DVD Recorder, Humax Satellite Decoder going to the Pioneer.
The problem you would encounter is playing it back not-looking-squeezed on a SD 4x3 set.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #11 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by djbradster
I'm very interested in this thread. I record via S-Video out of my Hughes box into both my SD SA Tivo and Cyberhome DVD+R. Both look awesome on the HD set. However the aspect ration is wrong on SD sets via the DVD. You mentioned that it's trivial to change this flag using a PC...would you mind giving a play by play on that?

Thanks,
Brad
Freeware program IFOEDIT available from http://www.dvdrhelp.com

Gotta run to the dentist, more when I get back.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #12 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
DeanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sunland, California, USA
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm....here we go again.....but Tom is right. The letter-boxed recordings of HD programming I make using my Sony RDR-GX7 are NOT anamorphic or "enhanced 16x9" recordings. I have tried fiddling with various settings on the recorder to invoke this feature, but to no avail. Nevertheless, these letter-boxed recordings are excellent, mainly because the source material (HD) is so superior.
DeanS is offline  
post #13 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
JohnDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanS
Hmmm....here we go again.....but Tom is right. The letter-boxed recordings of HD programming I make using my Sony RDR-GX7 are NOT anamorphic or "enhanced 16x9" recordings. I have tried fiddling with various settings on the recorder to invoke this feature, but to no avail. Nevertheless, these letter-boxed recordings are excellent, mainly because the source material (HD) is so superior.
Dean, I'm not having this problem.

I'm using a GX7 and picking the 16x9 recording option. I'm telling my STB (RCA DTC100) that my monitor is a 16x9 configuration. Doing this, the DTC100 outputs a vertically stretched signal on the S-Video output that fills the entire 4x3 screen. This creates anamorphic DVDs.

DVD-Rs recorded this way play correctly on my Sony HDTV monitor set at 16x9 (squeezed). They also play correctly on another DVD player as letterboxed on a 4x3 set. This tells me that the flags are being set correctly when the DVD is burnt.

Finally... when burning DVD-Rs, you cannot get the GX7 to set 16x9 flags when the recording time is greater than 2 hours per the manual. You can pick this option, but it doesn't work. DVD-Rs recorded with stretched input from 480i do not letterbox correctly on normal 4x3 TVs, as the DVD player does not think they are anamorphic. However, you can manually squeeze the signal on widescreen TVs to get an anamorphic presentation.

jdg
JohnDG is offline  
post #14 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jerndl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanS
The letter-boxed recordings of HD programming I make using my Sony RDR-GX7 are NOT anamorphic or "enhanced 16x9" recordings. I have tried fiddling with various settings on the recorder to invoke this feature, but to no avail.
The setting is not on the recorder it is on the HD stb. You must set the stb to output to a 16:9 monitor. I believe this should work for all stbs. I know for sure it works on the RCA DTC100, Samsung 160 and the HD Directivo. You do get a "enhanced 16x9" recording that plays back properly on a widescreen monitor, but since the 16:9 flag is not set it displays horizontally squished (tall and skinny) on a 4:3 monitor.

Jay
jerndl is offline  
post #15 of 155 Old 05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
The setting is not on the recorder it is on the HD stb. You must set the stb to output to a 16:9 monitor. I believe this should work for all stbs. I know for sure it works on the RCA DTC100, Samsung 160 and the HD Directivo. You do get a "enhanced 16x9" recording that plays back properly on a widescreen monitor, but since the 16:9 flag is not set it displays horizontally squished (tall and skinny) on a 4:3 monitor.

Jay
Bingo Jay!
Tom Roper is offline  
post #16 of 155 Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
DeanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sunland, California, USA
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I guess I stand corrected!! My Sony monitor is a 4x3 HDTV with a 16x9 squeeze mode that is automatically invoked when receiving HD material or "enhanced 16x9" video from a DVD (rental movie). The anamorphic squeeze has to be manually set on the monitor when receiving a progressive scan signal through the monitor's component inputs.

I can't remember the monitor output setting on my Sony-HD-100. It hasn't been changed since I bought the unit. So in order to record an anamorphic DVD on the RDR-GX7, I must: (A) Pick the recorder's 16:9 recording option; (B) Set the STB's monitor output to "16:9"; and, (C) record to DVD-R (but for a maximum of 2 hours. Right?
DeanS is offline  
post #17 of 155 Old 05-07-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In a nutshell, if you record a 16x9 program with the 16x9 flag set, your disc will playback exactly like a widescreen commercial DVD, and plays back without distortion on 16x9 and 4x3 monitors alike. If it looks any different, it's probably not set.

If the 16x9 flag is not set, it probably plays back correctly on one format, but looks stretched or squeezed on the other.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #18 of 155 Old 05-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
smirnoffski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting stuff you guys mentioned, I am trying to decide on a DVD recorder purchase and enhanced 16x9 options are very important to me.

Also, is it possible to create anamorphic discs with camcorder footage in the 16:9 mode?

Also, are there methods with which I can take my old VHS home movies, crop them 16:9 and make anamorphic DVDs that way?

Thanks
smirnoffski is offline  
post #19 of 155 Old 05-10-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mrwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
which DVD recorders (if any) will allow you to set the 16:9 flag so that the discs will also playback fine on a 4:3 monitor?
Only the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000. It has a manual mode and an auto mode. The auto mode doesn't work for sh*t and is probably what the new Pioneers are using. The manual mode works great though.
mrwilson is offline  
post #20 of 155 Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
JohnDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
quote:which DVD recorders (if any) will allow you to set the 16:9 flag so that the discs will also playback fine on a 4:3 monitor?
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
Only the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000. It has a manual mode and an auto mode. The auto mode doesn't work for sh*t and is probably what the new Pioneers are using. The manual mode works great though.
Unless I'm not understanding something, the Sony GX7 will also set the flags for recordings up to 2 hours in length. You select the 16x9 option as part of the recording options.

jdg
JohnDG is offline  
post #21 of 155 Old 05-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Member
 
djbradster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
Freeware program IFOEDIT available from http://www.dvdrhelp.com

Any chance of a step by step tutorial on how to change this flag with a PC on a DVD+RW?

Brad
djbradster is offline  
post #22 of 155 Old 05-11-2004, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This is what I do when recording 16x9 material from my Sony HD300 HD STB to my Panny DVD recorder. Record the content on a DVD-RAM disc (or on the HDD & high-speed dub to DVD-RAM) & take it to a PC with a DVD drive that can read RAM. I got a RAM-capable DVD drive for less than $40 from newegg.com a while ago.

Next, buy a copy of TMPGEnc DVD Author & download the freeware DVDPatcher. First, open DVD Author & import the VRO file from the RAM disc--it gets converted to mpg in the process. Second, open DVD Patcher & patch the 4x3 flagged mpg to 16x9. Third, use DVD Author to create a nice menu & burn your 16x9 enhanced DVD-R.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #23 of 155 Old 05-11-2004, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
This is what I do when recording 16x9 material from my Sony HD300 HD STB to my Panny DVD recorder. Record the content on a DVD-RAM disc (or on the HDD & high-speed dub to DVD-RAM) & take it to a PC with a DVD drive that can read RAM. I got a RAM-capable DVD drive for less than $40 from newegg.com a while ago.

Next, buy a copy of TMPGEnc DVD Author & download the freeware DVDPatcher. First, open DVD Author & import the VRO file from the RAM disc--it gets converted to mpg in the process. Second, open DVD Patcher & patch the 4x3 flagged mpg to 16x9. Third, use DVD Author to create a nice menu & burn your 16x9 enhanced DVD-R.
I did it almost exactly this way, and it works great. But let me try and shed some light on how the sequence of the process takes.

- When you use DVD Patcher, you are setting the 16x9 flag for each GOP (group of pictures) in the mpeg stream.

- The authoring software (i.e. TMPGEnc DVD Author) reads the flags and sets them into the IFO header files when it authors your DVD.

- Thereafter, the DVD player only reads the flag from the header files and ignores flags in the mpeg stream (i.e. VOB files). That's why you can't retroactively use DVDPatcher successfully on VOB files, because the header files have already been authored and won't get changed by subsequent edits with DVDPatcher.

- DVDPatcher is speedy for what it does, but you can bypass the DVDPatcher step and save even more time, with more ease, by editing the IFO files AFTER you have authored. This also can be done retroactively on any disk you've already created by simply making a copy to your PC hard drive, and editing the IFO files, and re-burning...no re-authoring necessary.

I'm going to explain this process in a followup post.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #24 of 155 Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Below are the steps for setting the 16x9 flag, so that anamorphic content plays properly letterboxed inside a 4x3 frame, not stretched or distorted.
***********************************************

Start the IfoEdit program, click on "OPEN" in lower left hand corner.
http://vsdrives.com/graphics/1aaa.jpg

Dialog box appears listing the IFO header files. Double-click on the first one (VIDEO_TS.IFO) to open it.
http://vsdrives.com/graphics/2aaa.jpg

Double-click on the line highlighted below
http://vsdrives.com/graphics/3aaa.jpg

Dialog box appears. Check the buttons for "16x9" and "Automatic Letterboxed."

DO NOT CHANGE THE LISTED RESOLUTION, EVEN IF IT APPEARS WRONG! LEAVE IT ALONE!

http://vsdrives.com/graphics/4aaa.jpg

Lower left hand corner of main screen, "SAVE" the file. When prompted, save the BUP file as well.

Repeat the above steps for the next IFO file in the list, (VTS_01_0.IFO).
http://vsdrives.com/graphics/5aaa.jpg

Do not alter any menu attributes, only the Title Set (Movie) attributes.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #25 of 155 Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks Tom. I'll try your method--seems simpler.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #26 of 155 Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Member
 
showard594's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tom, outstanding. I did a recording of a HD pay per view and forgot to set the recording settings to 16:9. My HD300 is always set to 1080i. i do not use auto-dvi or any other setting because i like the guide to stay big and i hate it when my gw3 switches resolutions. recorder is connected via s-vhs.

low and behold the video was squeezed in from the sides. on the gw3 i could always use full mode but on a 4:3 tv it didn't look as good as it should.

i copied the dvd to my pc, did the quick ifoedit and wrote the dvd files to a new dvd with nero. works great and looks awesome. now i have a way to recover if i forget again. btw, after setting the 16:9 flag i noticed my gw3 merely switches to full mode which is what i had to do manually before setting the flag. the real problem was on my 4:3 tv that does not have these modes.


i just have to remember to set the recording screen size when recording 4:3 or 16:9 if i want it to look good on all tv sets.


One question: Ifoedit asks to save the .bup also when saving the .ifo file changes. Was it ok to say yes on this? This updated the 2 .ifo and 2 .bup files.
showard594 is offline  
post #27 of 155 Old 05-18-2004, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by showard594
low and behold the video was squeezed in from the sides. on the gw3 i could always use full mode but on a 4:3 tv it didn't look as good as it should.
You did it exactly right then. It should appear squeezed on the sides on a 4x3 tv, and should play in the proper aspect using your gw3 "full" (wide) mode, without setting the flag. What that indicates is that you had the HD300 scaler set to the proper playback format for recording a 16x9 program.



Quote:

i copied the dvd to my pc, did the quick ifoedit and wrote the dvd files to a new dvd with nero. works great and looks awesome. now i have a way to recover if i forget again. btw, after setting the 16:9 flag i noticed my gw3 merely switches to full mode which is what i had to do manually before setting the flag. the real problem was on my 4:3 tv that does not have these modes.


What you did with IfoEdit should not really just be a "recover-if-you-forget" thing. It is the correct thing to do to make recordings of 16x9 downcoverted HD programs playback properly letterboxed on 4x3 tvs. Recording 16x9 programs will always playback fine on a wide tv. You want to avoid "targeting" a 16x9 program for playback on a 4x3 using the HD300 scaler because you are cropping off part of the picture, (the sides). Your goal in recording widescreen content should be to maintain the 16x9 aspect. By setting the 16x9 automatic letterboxed flags (as you did), you created an "anamorphic" DVD just like the commercially recorded DVDs, that plays back widescreen on your gw3, and "morphs" itself into a 16x9 letterbox with black bars top and bottom when played back on a 4x3 TV.


Quote:
i just have to remember to set the recording screen size when recording 4:3 or 16:9 if i want it to look good on all tv sets.


Yes, and no flag needs to be set for 4x3 obviously.



Quote:
One question: Ifoedit asks to save the .bup also when saving the .ifo file changes. Was it ok to say yes on this? This updated the 2 .ifo and 2 .bup files.
Yes.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #28 of 155 Old 05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Member
 
showard594's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You did it exactly right then. It should appear squeezed on the sides on a 4x3 tv, and should play in the proper aspect using your gw3 "full" (wide) mode, without setting the flag. What that indicates is that you had the HD300 scaler set to the proper playback format for recording a 16x9 program.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, but on the gw3 the full mode had to be selected manually with the dvd as it was originally recorded. once i set the 16:9 flag in ifoedit and played it then the full mode was selected automatically. it also did the letterbox correctly for my 4:3 tv as you said because i set the autoletterbox.

however, if i record with GX7 record settings to 16:9 then this is automatic. also the recordings play in letterbox on 4:3 with out any ifoedit actions.

so are we saying the same thing? sorry for my confusion but i think i have the process down. Use record setting of 16:9 for widescreen content and 4:3 for 4:3 content. The playback is proper on both 16:9 and 4:3 tv sets. This is what I have noticed when I did this correctly. It so happened I forgot about this when recording the pay per view and did not want to record it again and pay.
showard594 is offline  
post #29 of 155 Old 05-18-2004, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
however, if i record with GX7 record settings to 16:9 then this is automatic. also the recordings play in letterbox on 4:3 with out any ifoedit actions.
Okay then. Nice feature on the GX7.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #30 of 155 Old 05-18-2004, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by showard594
Quote:
so are we saying the same thing? sorry for my confusion but i think i have the process down. Use record setting of 16:9 for widescreen content and 4:3 for 4:3 content. The playback is proper on both 16:9 and 4:3 tv sets. This is what I have noticed when I did this correctly. It so happened I forgot about this when recording the pay per view and did not want to record it again and pay.
Not exactly...I was thinking in terms of the HD300 "Format" I think it is called, i.e. cropped/squeezed/letterbox.

I have the HD200 and it may work a little differently, but the main point is you already had it right. Well done.
Tom Roper is offline  
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off