Toshiba RD-XS32 Help Thread, Current Owners Only - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1068 Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I replaced my DVD drive and in my clumsiness, I scraped the data cable that goes to the hard drive. There is actually a hole in it that overlaps 2 or 3 leads.

Does anyone know of a source for this? I have been scouring the net and the only places that seem to have it, have a $250 (0r more) minimum order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1068 Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM

I have posted here before and got help with my Toshiba RD-XS32 issues. Now I have more problems, and I think I'm screwed. Perhaps someone on here might have good advice for me though. The following is what I sent to Toshiba technical support customer service, but if anyone here has a good answer, I'd love to know it, keeping in mind that I don't know anything about taking out hard drives or anything like that. Thanks!!

I have owned an RD-XS-32 since late fall 2004 (Software ZL10, DVD drive software 1314), and for the most part, I have loved it. I like making my own highlight DVDs of my favorite sports, and the format of the HDD has been perfect for this. I've had a few problems the least few months with the DVD burner sounding like it might be grinding the disc rather than writing on it, but I keep cleaning it out and probably get it to burn 1 out of every 3 times. I can live with that, if it eventually works.

Now, though, I have a problem I can't live with. I had just returned home from a 2 week vacation, and was trying to play my Olympics highlights off my Tivo & record them to the HDD, as I always do with sporting events. Then when I was trying to turn a few titles into a DVD, I suddenly got an error message that it wasn't possible (I don't remember that message specifically) and after turning it for awhile, and turning it back on, I received the message "There is a problem with HDD. Playback is the only option. Contact Service Center."

My next step was to try to burn to DVD some of the titles, just to see if it would work, but I got the message "This disk is write protected."

When I went back to the content menu, suddenly the last few pages of content came up with no thumbnail images, and a message that said "Playback failed. Previously recorded data may have been corrupted." I have 394 titles on there now (yes, I know this is 2 below the maximum, which is why I was trying to burn a bunch of them now). This issue applies from title numbers 352 to 394. Title 352 was recorded on 8/10, but this issue did not happen until yesterday, 8/30. (This includes all the Michael Phelps swimming races that I wanted to save, so I'm a bit distraught about that right now!)

Considering I knew the drive was close to full on titles, and possibly on time as well, I decided I would just start to delete the titles I had created yesterday, as I still had the original footage on the Tivo. Each time I tried to delete them off the HDD though, I got the message "This disk is write protected." I went in and checked the HDD settings, and it has "Disc Status: Protected" and Disc Lock: Lock Off" but it would not allow me to change any of the settings. I used the buttons that were supposed to allow me to select different things, but its like the screen was locked, and wouldn't let me do anything. Then I tried to delete an earlier title that worked fine in playback mode, but still received the "This disk is write protected" message on those titles as well.

So now I have a full HDD, with lots of great sports highlights that I wanted to save for my personal collection, and absolutely no way to access them. I'm hoping you can tell me what is wrong, or how I might be able to fix it, not including re-formatting the drive, since my first goal would be to get the video files off there that I'd like to keep. I tried leaving it unplugged overnight, to see if that helped, since it often does the trick for issues on my laptop, but no luck with that. I updated the firmware software from 1309 to 1314 using the ISO image off the Toshiba site, but that didn't help either. I've tried going through and changing any settings that I can, but nothing is helping. I even went through a bunch of the manual looking for anything that would help

Please help me. I have a very full Tivo with lots of fun Olympic highlights that I want to record on the HDD & then burn to DVD, as well as tons of my favorite sports teams highlights dating back to January of this year that are on the HDD that I do not want to lose. What options do I have?
post #873 of 1068 Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wow, that's tough... I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I really don't-- although have you tried to delete some of the EARLIEST programs? Maybe something you've been saving forever but never got around to watching?

I'm wondering if this might move the window of "workable" recordings...

That said, be careful mucking around too much. Your best bet, as strange as it may sound, would be to either dub these off to VHS, or maybe get to the nearest Walmart ASAP and get a new recorder to dub the units off to. (or you could get a DVD-only recorder from any store)-- if you're worried about losing them, the less you mess with the playable titles, the better chance you have to "rescue" the recordings.. you'll lose quality, but that's better than losing them entirely.

(and ps, please don't use colored text in your messages, at least not that much-- I use the darker background on the board and it's basically impossible to read your message, so if I missed something you wrote, sorry about that...!)
post #874 of 1068 Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM

(Sorry about the colored text - I was trying to differentiate what was just in the post, and what I sent in the email to Toshiba - I'll stick with quote marks next time!)

I have tried deleting some of the earliest recordings too, and still got the "write protected" message.

This response actually made me laugh though, in a good way. After googling everything I could think of, and realizing that it would be virtually impossible to actually transfer the files anywhere, a lightbulb suddenly went off that if I could make the first 351 titles play, that I could copy them the long way, and roughly 8 minutes ago, after not finding any HDD/DVRs at my normal shopping locations, I completed my order on Walmart.com for some expedited shipping on a Magnavox H2160 to do just that. My brain had been so wrapped around finding a "technological" way to retrieve the files, that the traditional play & record idea hadn't occured to me. But thank you very much for the idea and the quick response, because if I hadn't thought of it just an hour or so ago, I would be hugging the computer screen right now! As time consuming as it may be, that is the perfect plan, and it will let me quickly clear off all the things saved on my tivo from the olympics during my vacation, so I have room on the Tivo again too.

And I've definitely learned my lesson...make the dvds sooner & don't store things so long. Reformat or completely clear the HDD from time to time so it can defrag. Don't wait until its basically full to try complex editing, because that may kill it off. All things I wish I had learned earlier (or paid attention to this spring when it started giving me issues), but better late than never!

Thank you very much for the response. I'll be curious to see if once I have saved all those titles on another HDD, if the Toshiba one will allow me to reformat it so it will work again, because I think the Toshiba has more interesting editing options than the Magnavox, but I'll find out after I play around with the new one.
post #875 of 1068 Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Good advice and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I also use a black forum style and the blue font barely shows up on it. In a pinch, you can highlight the text and it shows up in a very readable fluorescent green. It's a technique that's sometimes used to... hide spoilers.
post #876 of 1068 Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM

I received my Magnavox H2160 from Walmart (I've worked at Best Buy for almost 15 years, and I was somewhat horrified that my company no longer carries any HDD/DVD burners, at least online, and Walmart does...but I digress), and started clearing out my Tivo first, and then am slowly, but surely, going to transfer from the Toshiba.

I had an interesting Error on the Magnavox though, which concerned me, when I hit play on the Toshiba & then record on the Magnavox, it told me the content could not be recorded...its the message given when trying to copy write protected content, which the Toshiba thinks it has now, even though it doesn't. I just hit record a 2nd time though, and the error goes away, it it records to the HDD. However, I figured I wasn't out of the clear yet, as the manual says it will record things like that to HDD, but not burn to DVD. When I did a test of just putting some of the copied videos on DVD though, it worked perfectly with no error, so thank heavens for that! It may take me forever to do this, but I will at least be able to save things.

I do hope once I'm done though, that reformatting the Toshiba makes it work again. While I am grateful to have the Magnavox to salvage my videos, the editing options are somewhat pathetic compared to what I'm used to on the RD-XS32. Since I like to paste things together & make highlights, its rather annoying that there is no "combine titles" option on the H2160, and the process of naming titles is very cumbersome compared to the RD-XS32.

So having said that, does anyone know a good way to get ahold of new, or basically new XS32, XS35, XS52 or XS55, in case mine is not fixable? I've seen used ones on eBay, and some over $500 XS55 ones too, but I'm not quite willing to commit that much cash to it, when I just had to spend $250 on the Magnavox, and I don't want a used one that hasn't been fully tested. I just know now that for what I like to do with the HDD, I want the editing options available on the Toshiba, and I've noticed it doesn't seem like they are putting anything new out now.
post #877 of 1068 Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Read earlier messages in the thread. Supposedly you can send the Toshiba back to Toshiba and for a fixed fee, get it fixed/replaced with a refurbished one.
post #878 of 1068 Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, they can "fix" a bad optical drive one by putting a used OE one it. Talk about a ticking time bomb! They can also do any of the drive replacements discussed on this forum as per the service agreement Toshiba offers.

At any rate, at some point, Tops won't have stuff to replace bad drives. Then they can replace with newer, used units, and finally, if they don't have anything to replace it with, refund money according to sales receipt.

Its sort of irrelevant... like a lifetime warranty on a Pentium 60 (haha), however, with the abandonment of these HDD units in the USA, it may not be so irrelevant.
post #879 of 1068 Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

Actually, they can "fix" a bad optical drive one by putting a used OE one it. Talk about a ticking time bomb! They can also do any of the drive replacements discussed on this forum as per the service agreement Toshiba offers.

What do you mean "replacements discussed on this forum"?

You don't mean they would put in a third party DVD burner, right?
If you DO, that would imply that there *is* one that offers *full* functionality.. and from what I've read and experienced, none have full functionality (including with old unfinalized discs).

Plus, at least in California, I believe (I do not think this is an urban legend) that there is a law that REQUIRES a company to provide parts for some period of time. I have 7 years in my head. So when did the XS32 stop being sold? Way less than 7 years ago.
post #880 of 1068 Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I mean they are using 3rd party DVD drives - the same models people have discussed in this forum. With the reduced operability! (frankly, I don't know how they do this - probably if the customer doesn't complain. I think they offer this instead of giving them a "refurbished" OE drive which would really be crappy.

They probably have a lot of bad 32's sitting around with lots of old OE drives (ugh)
post #881 of 1068 Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if they did that to me, I would definitely complain and presumably at least get my money back.
post #882 of 1068 Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearnm View Post

I scraped the data cable that goes to the hard drive.
Does anyone know of a source for this? I have been scouring the net and the only places that seem to have it, have a $250 (0r more) minimum order.

I've done something similar. I accidentally punctured the HDD cable. Several leads have been damaged.

Were you able to find these cables any cheaper than $250?

I did some searching and was unable to find anything cheaper.

(One source (who didn't have the part themselves) sourced another distributor who had the part. They would have had to past all the cost onto me, and the minimum would have been $250 (for five pieces at $50 per part)
post #883 of 1068 Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Is there a way of removing the DVD-RAM disk from the cartridge without wrecking the case?
post #884 of 1068 Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Oiler,

Yes. I assume you are speaking generally and not of a particular disk that is jammed somehow. Every cartridge-style Ram should come with a small instruction with diagrams pointing to where to press, etc. Lacking one of these labels --- turn the cartridge over to the back with the sliding disc access panel at the bottom. Then simply press in the side cutout of the corner of the cartridge that has the Red (or other colored) sliding button, usually on the top left from this perspective. Press in with a pen and simultaneously lift the slim end piece at that corner. The entire interior plastic assembly on that end of the cartridge will swivel out. Pull it back as far as it will go and the disc will just clear.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #885 of 1068 Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Hi there,

I just discovered this forum and I have a question. I have an RD-SX32 that has served me faithfully for several years now. Lately i have been having a burning problem. Unfortunately, this burning problem does not manifest itself until the very end of the process.

Basically, when I am trying to burn a DVD of something on my hard drive, I am able to go through the entire process through the writing process. The disk burns and finalizes, and then one of the following two things happens:

1. The disk says it's loading and takes an exceptionally long time to do so, then tells me that the disk is damaged or requires cleaning and I cannot play it on any DVD player in my house, not just this Toshiba.

2. The disk loads and when I press play to play the new DVD it gives me a "this disk cannot be played" error.

There are slight variations on the above but this is basically what happens.

Here are some additional notes:

1. I have tried various DVD media brands, from the cheapest to more exponsive ones. Some that I have tried recently (which have all worked in the past - Maxell, Verbatim, Sony)

2. Before I attempt to record, I make sure I get the "A blank DVD-R is loaded" message.

3. The system WILL burn directly to DVD and will sometimes burn a DVD if I use the HDD Dubbing feature rather than the DVD-Video create feature. However, since I want menus I always use the latter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
____________________________________________________________ ____

Ok, aside from the above, I also have a second Toshiba - an RD-SX52, which is burning fine. I am wondering how to fit 3 hour programs on a standard DVD when burning from the HDD to the DVD using the DVD-Video Create function.

I know that if I use the dubbing function I can downgrade the bitrate and fit programs, but as mentioned, I want menus, so I don't use that function.

I currently have a few programs that run about 2 hours and 30 minutes and I'd like to fit them onto a standard DVD - is there any way to go about this? I have tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan
post #886 of 1068 Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwhotrades View Post

I currently have a few programs that run about 2 hours and 30 minutes and I'd like to fit them onto a standard DVD - is there any way to go about this?

For your main question, your burner seems to be going bad. See the rest of this thread for other burners that may offer *partial* functionality. (of course this is completely unsupported by Toshiba, may blow up your house, etc..)

For this particular question, you can just do a real time dub at a lower resolution so that it will fit.
post #887 of 1068 Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Oiler,

Yes. I assume you are speaking generally and not of a particular disk that is jammed somehow. Every cartridge-style Ram should come with a small instruction with diagrams pointing to where to press, etc. Lacking one of these labels --- turn the cartridge over to the back with the sliding disc access panel at the bottom. Then simply press in the side cutout of the corner of the cartridge that has the Red (or other colored) sliding button, usually on the top left from this perspective. Press in with a pen and simultaneously lift the slim end piece at that corner. The entire interior plastic assembly on that end of the cartridge will swivel out. Pull it back as far as it will go and the disc will just clear.

I have a Toshiba cartridge. I will try to remove it.
post #888 of 1068 Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the most likely problem source is with the following?

Through the years I have switched out the HDD twice and the last is a compatible Maxtor 160GB which has been working fine until very recently. The burner has been replaced twice as well and the latest is the LG H54L.

Last night I started getting data corruption messages after recording with about 23 hours remaining on the HDD. No matter what I tried to record then to the HDD it just said Playback failed-data corrupted. Sometimes it would fail after a few seconds...other times it would record for an hour or more then either stop recording on its own or simply fail to playback when checked. I could still playback the previous recordings but...

when I tried to record straight to DVD-RAM to save them it wouldn't format a new one and would not record to DVD-R either (Check disc...you know the rest).

Both drives have been perfectly fine until this weirdness last night. Actually got a green screen flash during the episode and when I checked the content menu all the recording thumbnails were green and none would play---machine unresponsive. I reset the Tosh and now have the previous contents back but can't seem to off-load the good stuff to reformat the HDD.

Sounds to me like the internals are screwed. I can always reformat the drive and lose the contents to see if that will help but it sure looks to me like if both methods of recording are flakey with very new drives that could indicate perhaps the board internals.

I'm wondering if I should slip back in one of the Seagates and see if that clears things up?

So I went to do just that and left this unposted message up...

Just now tried another trial recording off my DVR and it worked this time. Only thing I did this morning was try to format DVD-RAMs without success and then started a recording attempt while on the DVD side. Got the usual contents recorded on HDD message and when I checked the HDD contents it played back normally.

Freaking weird!!!!!!

Will have to see if the test recording (about a 100 minutes) will behave all the way through. Then see about the burner issues.

post #889 of 1068 Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Having bought my 52XS several years ago before I had an HDTV, I now have an issue when I hook the HDMI cable to my Panasonic 42PZ80U: It locks up as soon as the power is turned on; it won't accept any control inputs from the pannel or the remote. If I use the S-Video or component cables it works fine.
Has anyone had a similar issue or can recomend a fix?
post #890 of 1068 Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM

My XS34 decided to not play any DVD discs (pre recorded and burnt dvd-rw's). It also wouldn't display any on screen graphics. A hard reset (pressing in power button for more than 10 seconds) fixed all of that! So anyone facing similiar problems try that and it should all come back!

-Willie
post #891 of 1068 Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

[quote=TimRogers;15134479]Having bought my 52XS several years ago before I had an HDTV, I now have an issue when I hook the HDMI cable to my Panasonic 42PZ80U: It locks up as soon as the power is turned on; it won't accept any control inputs from the pannel or the remote. If I use the S-Video or component cables it works fine.
QUOTE]

Your RD-XS52 needs a firmware update to version YA12. This fixes HDMI incompatibility with HDMI V1.3 (1080P). Contact Toshiba for the update.
post #892 of 1068 Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Change of gears here....

Can anyone shed light on the benefits of setting the XS32 Audio Input Level to any value other than zero as the default?

The XS32 is the only unit in the Toshiba XS series which offers an Audio Input Level setting in Setup/DVD Recorder Operation. The value can be set in increments of 0.5 up to 6dB and decremented by 1.0 at a time down to -76dB.

The manual gives no explanation on the merits of this capability, simply that this feature "Sets the audio input level of recorded sound."

Boosting the sound by a few dB might be a good idea if the source is a camcorder recording which includes conversation captured from several feet away.

That would be a specific instance, yet this is a default mode of operation, and why the huge range from -76dB to +6dB is puzzling.
post #893 of 1068 Old 12-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post

Your RD-XS52 needs a firmware update to version YA12. This fixes HDMI incompatibility with HDMI V1.3 (1080P). Contact Toshiba for the update.

Cool, I'll get to work on this right now.
Thanks eleventy billion!
post #894 of 1068 Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM

I think I had a power surge and it killed my RD-XS32. It worked fine until I believe my house had a power surge--other electronics also went out at same time. I can smell the acid odor or a resistor or something when I plug it in and I get 7061 error and nothing works and it smells bad so I unplug it. I am no expert on elevtronics like a lot of guys here are it seems But I do know some things about electronics-- I want to buy a used one on Ebay and replace what is burned out--is this dumb or a good idea? I can see a resistor that clearly appears to be burned out. Is that likely the problem--or the tip of the iceberg? I paid near $400 for this and I don't want to thow it away--ALSO a reason I don't want to throw it away is--I recorded probably 50 DVDs from TV on the RD-XS32 and I have tried to play them on many other DVD platers and none of them will let me play them---can I ONLY play the DVDs on the SAME machine --in other words if I don't get this unit working are all my DVDs junk and unplayable on any other machine?Thank you! I can send a pic of what I can see is burned(resistor) if it will help.
post #895 of 1068 Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If you haven't *finalized* the DVDs, then they'll only play on that player.

Also, VERY old DVD players (i.e. late 1990s) won't play burned DVD-Rs, even if they're finalized.
post #896 of 1068 Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

My advice is to get a decent one off of Fleabay rather than a clearly intended for parts machine. Depending on auction they are going for anywhere from $100 to $200 plus S/H. You may find it is preferable to simply switch it out than to repair the old one. At least you will have a parts machine either way.

post #897 of 1068 Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody have an extra XS32 remote control? My remote seems to be dying. (Yes I changed batteries.)

Last night, only a couple of buttons would work.. then strangely most if not all came back.. but now most of the buttons on the bottom section have stopped working. (Even when the buttons on the bottom section started working again, I noticed that the little button that presses in to show that the top flap is 'closed' was flaky so I'd have to often push on the lower right of the remote to make sure it knew it was closed.)

Not having the quick menu button really makes a lot of things very tedious to do.. (Though it seems like _most_ things can be worked around via using the yellow EASI NAVI button, which I never had used before except to play with when I first got the recorder.)
post #898 of 1068 Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I've seen some available ona popular auction site.
post #899 of 1068 Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've searched ebay.. but I thought some here might actually have an extra one after buying a replacement recorder. The remote seems to have stayed mostly working today. Those are around $50 with shipping.
post #900 of 1068 Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvcr View Post

I've done something similar. I accidentally punctured the HDD cable. Several leads have been damaged.

Were you able to find these cables any cheaper than $250?

I did some searching and was unable to find anything cheaper.

(One source (who didn't have the part themselves) sourced another distributor who had the part. They would have had to past all the cost onto me, and the minimum would have been $250 (for five pieces at $50 per part)

Boy, I haven't been here in a while.

I never did find a source for the cable that was at all resonable. I keep checking for old units on auction sites and the like, but they just don't appear.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page