post #1021 of 1072 Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

When I do, for finalized or commercial DVD disks, the burner is fairly quick, for others I think it takes a while longer (and makes more noises than it use to ).
That's a classic sign of the spindle needing cleaned. I always get the old grease off the laser guide rails and tranverse motor shaft and regrease them too but that's a little more involved than just cleaning the spindle which is easy. If you do do it the metal top goes on with the disc tray open so the RAM flap opener seats right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1072 Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

After trying the 4167 in an XS34 and it not working I decided to try playing with discs and firmware. DL12 and DL13 firmwares don't work, only DL11 does and only with 8x and probably lower speed discs, 16x discs don't work, at least not 16x Verbatims.
post #1023 of 1072 Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,
I used to have Bright House cable, a flat tube TV and my RD-XS35 hooked up with no issues. I could even record my PS3 games with a simple switch.

Well, after joining the new HD Age and switching cable providers I'm finding it harder to get things right this time.

I now have the Toshiba DVR, DirecTV+HD DVR (HR24-100) and a Samsung LN52B630. The TV has 4 HDMI ports which normally is all I have to do with the other components I have (i.e. PS3, Satellite box) but of course the Tosh doesn't have this. There are two sets of A/V ports on the back of the TV but I can't get the Tosh menu to display over any of them. I'm not sure if I need the XS35 connected to both the Satellite box AND the television.

Does anyone have any ideas? My main goal is to see the recordings on my DTV box and record clips from that onto the Toshiba.

TiA,
-Echo1125
post #1024 of 1072 Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What modern DVD media burns in the XS32 these days?

BTW, I think one of the best DVD drive replacements is the Memorex because it also works for most of the CD functions. (Only problem now is that it seems that the drive no longer recognizes CD's???? Its been at least a year since I tried a CD in it.)

I also seem to remember that once you use a replacement DVD drive, you no longer should attempt a firmware upgrade? Is that right?

Thanks
Tom
post #1025 of 1072 Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know why my Memorex DVD drive quit recognizing CD's.

I reconnected the OE drive and it reads CD's just fine.

I have firmware 1314 and have found the Japanese 1315 DVD Iso and am trying to find out if this is the correct firmware upgrade.

What is interesting is that with the Memorex drive installed, the characters "1314" do not appear. They only appear with the OE drive.

So I'm searching about the 1314 upgrade....

Thanks
Tom
post #1026 of 1072 Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
What modern DVD media burns in the XS32 these days?

BTW, I think one of the best DVD drive replacements is the Memorex because it also works for most of the CD functions. (Only problem now is that it seems that the drive no longer recognizes CD's???? Its been at least a year since I tried a CD in it.)

I also seem to remember that once you use a replacement DVD drive, you no longer should attempt a firmware upgrade? Is that right?

Thanks
Tom
It's best to use 8X Taiyo Yuden DVD-R and DVD-RAM, which the RD-XS units were designed to work with. Both are made in Japan.

I've haven't heard of a Memorex burner working on the RD-XS32. Which model is this?

Does the Memorex recognize unfinalized DVD-R from the OEM burner, e.g. unfinalized disks from another RD-XS unit? Or only it's own unfinalized disks?

Does the Memorex work with DVD-RAM?

I've found that sometimes a substitute burner won't recognize the firmware update CDs, which is why it's good to have the original burner working, or at least being able to read disks. Of course once you got the latest firmware update, it's a moot point.

For me, it's not important if the substitute burner won't play audio CDs. Most of the prospects won't, except the Panasonic SW-9585-C.
post #1027 of 1072 Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Clevor,

First there are 2 threads on this forum which are relevant to the XS32: the primary user thread and the optical drive thread.

The first CD replacements like the 4167 and the H10_ had no CD functionality, however, the later models like the H54_ and the Memorex MRX-525G (3202-3294) did.

I had a H10_, tried it and then sold it. I got the 525G and was happy since it did most of the CD functions. However, now, after not that much time and use (in my book) the drive will no longer recognize CDs. I don't know if it is able to burn at this point - I will be trying something soon with some 8x Playo's (the only discs I have that work in it) and will report my pass/fail...

Someone needs to call Tops Electronics to see what they are currently doing to service these units these days. I suspect that somewhere, maybe in Asia, they can actually repair the OEM drive. Replacing the laser assembly is a trivial task if you have access to the replacement part. They are performing this laser replacement on the game consoles, just check youtube or search.

If someone had a PC repair shop with 100's of old DVD drives laying around, I would bet if they started opening them up they would find a laser assembly they could cannibalize. My guess is that any DVD drive made when the OEM drive was made would be a good candidate. Most of these drives, when you open them up, look identical and fall into just a few variations. Usually there are only 1,2, or 3 manufacturers that make a particular type of hardware.

Oh, and regarding the RAM discs with the case, I would think that if you took the OE drive apart, the bracketry that opens the RAM case could be transferred to a replacement drive provided that drive had RAM disc capability (but not the cased RAM capability). You might end up using the OE case too since there may be anchor points for the bracketry. I haven't proven this, but there is a good chance it would work.
post #1028 of 1072 Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

I don't know why my Memorex DVD drive quit recognizing CD's.

I reconnected the OE drive and it reads CD's just fine.

I have firmware 1314 and have found the Japanese 1315 DVD Iso and am trying to find out if this is the correct firmware upgrade.

What is interesting is that with the Memorex drive installed, the characters "1314" do not appear. They only appear with the OE drive.

So I'm searching about the 1314 upgrade....

Thanks
Tom

DVD drives use two different wavelengths, one for CDs and one for DVDs. It's not uncommon for one to go out and the other still work. The way to test the drive would be to install it in a PC and see if it reads CDs.
post #1029 of 1072 Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Going back through burned discs I found out why the 4167 burned a few discs then wouldn't work, the DVDs that burned were Riteks on a Verbatim spindle, when I got to the real Verbs they didn't burn.

After giving up on the 4167 and 16x Verbatims, I decided to try the H10N and am very happy to say it works fine in the XS34 with 16x Verbs and the latest burner firnmware.

There was a guy selling new H10Ns on ebay 3 for $40 shipped. I don't know if he still has any left or if I bought them all. They were listed as H10As but were H10Ns.
post #1030 of 1072 Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

After giving up on the 4167 and 16x Verbatims, I decided to try the H10N and am very happy to say it works fine in the XS34 with 16x Verbs and the latest burner firnmware.

I presume that on that RD-XS34, the H10N with latest firmware still won't recognize unfinalized DVD-R. That is, if you burn a few titles to the disk, eject it, and reload it, it won't initialize the disk anymore.

I always figured installing the latest firmware on these burners would not help this a bit; if anything, it would make them more incompatible with a HDD recorder that was discontinued in 2004-2006.
post #1031 of 1072 Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 AM

I have two RD-XS32SU DVRs, one I bought in 2004 and the other in 2005. The one from 2004 is working perfectly, however, recently I did some rearranging of my video equipment in the cellar and when I plugged the 2005 back in the DVD burner no longer works.

When I put a DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW or Video DVD) the machine does not see the DVD. When I click on the DVD button on the remote the machine tells me that the DVD burner is empty, even though there is a DVD in the burner.

When the machine boots up it cycles through the HDD, but does not display the DVD. The 2004 machine cycles through both the HDD and the DVD.

I have opened the machine up and everything looks like it is connected, no loose wires or loose connections. I have not opened up the DVD burner.

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #1032 of 1072 Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post

I have two RD-XS32SU DVRs, one I bought in 2004 and the other in 2005. The one from 2004 is working perfectly, however, recently I did some rearranging of my video equipment in the cellar and when I plugged the 2005 back in the DVD burner no longer works.

When I put a DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW or Video DVD) the machine does not see the DVD. When I click on the DVD button on the remote the machine tells me that the DVD burner is empty, even though there is a DVD in the burner.

When the machine boots up it cycles through the HDD, but does not display the DVD. The 2004 machine cycles through both the HDD and the DVD.

I have opened the machine up and everything looks like it is connected, no loose wires or loose connections. I have not opened up the DVD burner.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have no personal experience with recorders (other than VCRs) manufactured by Toshiba. I own two Funai-manufactured "Toshiba" branded DVD recorders of 2006 and 2008 vintage, both of which are in current use in our household. (The 2006 model is scheduled to record from a FM radio for 18 hours per week and the 2008 model is used occasionally as the DVD recorder/player for the family viewing TV.)

I offer the following observations based upon my personal experience with Panasonic and Funai-manufactured DVD Drives:

Perhaps the DVD Drive's rubber hub is soiled leading to read, write, and finalizing problems. Or, perhaps, the lazer assembly has failed. If the lazer assembly has failed parts replacement is/are indicated.

I've described rubber hub cleaning for Panasonic DVD Drives in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

I've mentioned and described rubber hub cleaning for Funai-manufactured DVD Drives in the following posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19642776

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19647592

These tips might also be helpful for use with a "genuine" Toshiba DVD Drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1033 of 1072 Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you,

I will try this after I get some cleaning supplies. The drive in my RD-XS32SU is the original that came with it in 2005, Model # SD-W3002.

I imagine that it is just reached the end of its life cycle (6 + years), as when I power on the DVR does not seem to cycle through the DVD Burner. The Display Window shows HDD and than shows it is ready for commands.

My other RD-XS32SU displays HDD and than Displays DVD and than goes to the ready mode.

Oh well, the HDD still works fine.
post #1034 of 1072 Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Did you ever find a replacement IR Blaster ? Comcast has forced us to go Digital in Colorado so I need the IR control cable to control the Digital converter they supplied with basic cable.
post #1035 of 1072 Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

I presume that on that RD-XS34, the H10N with latest firmware still won't recognize unfinalized DVD-R. That is, if you burn a few titles to the disk, eject it, and reload it, it won't initialize the disk anymore.

I always figured installing the latest firmware on these burners would not help this a bit; if anything, it would make them more incompatible with a HDD recorder that was discontinued in 2004-2006.

I never eject discs without finalizing them first so I can't really say but I did have the power go out while burning a disc once and got a 7000 error code, I ended up having to open the recorder and manually eject the disc.

I don't think burner firmware makes any difference on what the recorder will or won't do, just what discs it will burn and the quality of the burns.
post #1036 of 1072 Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 AM

I have had a similar problem with my XS35. I had it unplugged for a long time since the hdd was full. Recently I plugged it back in to start cleaning up the hdd.
I got a large amount cleaned off -- the hard way -- line out to another recorder since I couldn't copy to the dvd.
When it was more than 50% cleaned up, I tried recording to the hdd again. Then I got a new problem -- the hdd wouldn't record. Some generic error message like "An internal error has occurred" (can't remember the exact words).
I tried the HDD format but that did not fix the hdd record problem.
I then tried the factory reset listed on this board (THANKS EVERYBODY!!!) (ZOOM button, 701, ZOOM button). This has fixed the hdd record problem!!!!
In the next few days I'll try the DVD copy (nothing on the hdd to copy now and I have to get to work). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dvd copy problem is fixed too.
post #1037 of 1072 Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 AM

My Toshiba XS 35 now can copy to -RW discs after the factory reset.
It would not recognize the disc that worked fine in a panasonic or philips dvr.
and it didn't give any kind of error message, just wouldn't show the disc menu or allow a copy to the -rw disc.
So it seems like the factory reset fixed both the hdd record problem and the dvd-rw copy problem.
post #1038 of 1072 Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heh, I haven't been here since June 2010, and am asking almost the same question as I did before.. My remote has started acting flaky again (but just like before, it seems like most of the buttons started working again -- and no, it wasn't right after putting in newly charged batteries).

I have searched online and checked some of the old sites for a replacement remote. It looks like a replacement is around $40+shipping. Even though I'm not much of a fan of universal remotes, I could get a Logitech Harmony 650 for about $58..

I'm wondering if anybody has used a Harmony with a XS32. Can you *customize* the buttons? (It supposedly does already support this device.)

Mostly, all I really need for most use is quick menu, navigation, and enter.
Important but slightly less so is the free space button (unless there's another way to get to this -- I could get to some places, like deleting an item, with the EasyNav interface which I otherwise never use).

Chapter add, the two colored buttons, and SETUP are about the only other ones I ever routinely use. (I could live with number buttons not even working.)

But I'm curious if I can customize WHICH remote on the Harmony was for these other purposes.. and/or maybe I could use the screen buttons for these slightly less common purposes.
post #1039 of 1072 Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I'm wondering if anybody has used a Harmony with a XS32. Can you *customize* the buttons? (It supposedly does already support this device.)

Sorry, I can't help with Harmony info, but by chance do you own any of the URC OneForAll universal remotes?

If you had a URC remote that operates the XS32 (using setup code: 1510), then I could give you the 'Extended' (aka Magic) function codes for all of the buttons on the original remote.

[Important: Some URC OFA remotes had a Toshiba DVR setup code included, but MOST did not. I say this to keep you from wasting your money on the majority of non-compatible remotes.]

The great thing about this setup is that... Once you have a URC remote that has general functionality over any given device (TV, DVR, VCR), you can have it send a raw IR signal to that device and, eventually, guess all the original remote codes/buttons.

(This guy explains it nicely, http://xi6.com/remotes/ )

And then, use the URC to teach your favorite learning remote all of the original remote buttons/functions that you need, all without the need for the original remote.

Some years ago, when I bought my XS32 I had an URC remote that did *not* work with the XS32, but I sent that OFA remote in to URC and they added/programmed the XS32 device code into the remote and sent it back. All I had to pay was shipping to them.

Unfortunately, I think that great service has long since been discontinued.
post #1040 of 1072 Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I have searched online and checked some of the old sites for a replacement remote. It looks like a replacement is around $40+shipping. Even though I'm not much of a fan of universal remotes, I could get a Logitech Harmony 650 for about $58.

Hey Mattack, this is not cheap enough for you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130369410870...84.m1438.l2649

Before all you RD-XS users fall over yourself ordering one, keep in mind that is an RD-XS32 specific remote. It won't work with the TVGOS models in that one important feature can't be done: you cannot schedule any recordings.

Also I don't like where the Chapter Divide button is located. On the front cover, the button tends to feel mushy when you press it. But it is an OEM RD-XS32 remote. Conversely, all the TVGOS RD-XS remotes will work fine with the RD-XS32 albeit with a few workarounds.

What irks me is I picked up an RD-XS54 on Ebay, and the seller is a well known HDD recorder specialist. He included an RD-XS32 remote, not the correct one for an RD-XS54! Would have been no use if I was using TVGuide .

I would not bother with a universal remote. It's so easy finding some RD-XS remote somewhere, or on spare or dead units picked up on Ebay. And these Toshiba remotes are bulletproof: I am still using the one from my original RD-XS52 that I bought in 2003 or so even though I have several spares.

I might add I use a Maggie 2160A also, and I hate how dead and unresponsive the buttons are compared to the exquisite tactile sensitivity of the Toshiba remotes. When editing on the Toshiba remote, you can create chapter divides in a rhythmic fashion with the FORWARD and REVERSE buttons, inserting chapter divides a split second before where you want them. Editing is such a bear anyway on the Maggie, regardless of the remote.
post #1041 of 1072 Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally hit the "library full" situation.. so every time a recording ends, it complains about not being able to "register" the recording.

Does anybody ever actually USE that functionality?

Is there any danger/reason to not simply erase the LIBRARY info? Obviously, I presume this means that my existing hard drive recordings still stay around.
post #1042 of 1072 Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

Hey Mattack, this is not cheap enough for you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130369410870...84.m1438.l2649
Also I don't like where the Chapter Divide button is located. On the front cover, the button tends to feel mushy when you press it.

Thanks!! I finally came back here (argh) to comment about the other issue.

I LOVE that the chapter divide button is in the top cover, but it, and several other buttons (such as the time remaining button) end up "missing" because after a long time (like when my remote starts going flaky like it is), I have to HOLD DOWN the top cover to make sure the little peg properly pushes the "the cover is closed" button. That is a bad design, but the remote design ITSELF is better than the later version ones __FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN_.. (I do not own anything but the XS32).

(I would oh so love a XS32 "replacement" to show up. Even if it was only ATSC & clear-QAM recording, as well as even only _low resolution_ inputs -- i.e. I wouldn't need HDMI inputs since that would probably preclude a lot of recordings anyway.. Plus of course FASTER THAN REALTIME playing. Even with HD tivos [one of my S3s is dead], I still dub most NON-scripted shows to my XS32 to play faster than realtime with sound.)
post #1043 of 1072 Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM

I was working on my xs32, left it for a couple weeks and some how misplaced the connector PC (40 pin DIN to ribbon) for the DVD drive. Toshiba doesn't seem to know much about this unit. The parts place that they send me to has about 5 or 6 boards not what I need. I am new to this forum stuff so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place. I think I have attached a pic. I am open to purchasing a junk xs32 if I have no other options.
LL
post #1044 of 1072 Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM

I was wondering if someone could tell me how the RD-XS24 unit should operate if it has a bad or missing hard drive, or how it compares to how mine behaves, before I go looking for a hard drive...

On mine, when the unit is powered up, the clock just flashes "0:00".

When I press the standby button (or eject), the unit will either display:

- E7061 when no hard drive is attached, or
- E7034 when an 80GB hard drive is attached (I don't have any bigger PATA drive to try, atm)

When I press any remote button at this stage, I get "dR-1" on the unit's display for a few seconds, then it reverts to the error number.

On the TV, when starting up, it shows the Toshiba splash screen, then quickly goes to one of the tuned analogue channels. No pressing of remote or unit buttons will change this, unless the standby button on the unit is pressed for a few seconds, after which it goes into standby.

Does this sound like how you'd expect with a missing or incorrect hard drive? Worth seeing if I can get a 160GB hard drive?
post #1045 of 1072 Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I can't say about the missing hard drive, but I believe that DR-1 error code means your remote is not synced with the one of three machines you can use it for, depending on the code you use. Change it according to the instructions on pages 50-51 of your Installation Guide.

LL
post #1046 of 1072 Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM

It's as plplplpl says, one of your major problems is your remote isn't set up properly to operate the machine.

Also you can't just hook up any 80 GB HDD; refer to the massive RD-XS32-Replacement-HDD thread for models that would work.

I believe the clock should be counting down, but maybe you need to set it first. At least you can get into the splash screen.

I presume you know how to enter the SETUP menu. If not, you need to get an operating manual. The Toshiba RD-XSs are pretty complicated machines and not for the feint-of-heart. Your model is an UK model and I think is similar to the RD-XS35.
post #1047 of 1072 Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original remote, I have a few universal remotes, but not sure that even if I could get the correct buttons programmed with them, that I could do a two-button press. Best remote I have is a URC 9990. I'll look into it.

Have downloaded a copy of the user manual, looks manageable enough; I have a DMR-EX85 as well, so know how complex these units can be. I'll also have a look as to what hard drive I might be needing. If I thought I might be able to get it functional without much investment, I'd look at getting a suitable remote.
post #1048 of 1072 Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Hi All; This is my first post! I have an old RD-XS32SU video recorder. It does not have much use on it because it was always finicky about loading dvd-r discs. I have now read on earlier postings about the firmware update. Problem is that none of the links work any more. I have 1309 software installed and need the 1314 software. Any one know were I can get this from? Many thanks in advance for any help! Jim
post #1049 of 1072 Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 PM

No luck with finding the software upgrade. Can I take the hd out an move the files onto a computer hd and then burn a disc with my computer? There are recordings I would like to save. Thanks for any help! Jim
post #1050 of 1072 Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim249 View Post

No luck with finding the software upgrade. Can I take the hd out an move the files onto a computer hd and then burn a disc with my computer? There are recordings I would like to save. Thanks for any help! Jim

There was a thread about replacing the hard drive here somewhere but I couldn't find it. Buy a external HD enclosure and put your drive into it. I recently purchased a Connectland model from Amazon after a motherboard failure. It only cost about $ 20.00 and allows you examine your drive from any computer with a USB connection. I'm not sure what files you will be able to salvage, they might be encrypted.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page