Toshiba RD-XS32 Help Thread, Current Owners Only - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am not sure if this thread is dead or not...? Anyway, I was wondering if the RD-XS32 can make recordings off newer LED TVs? I got a Samsung un40eh5000fxza LED TV for Christmas. I was able to connect the RD-XS to this TV via component video cables. It does play material that was recorded from the hard drive and it also plays from the DVD drive. However, I am not able to get the RD-XS32 to record programs. The Samsung TV has both component inputs as well as HMDI inputs. Has anyone had success recording with the newer TVs? It would be a shame if I cannot get this setup to work as my RD-XS32 has had zero problems since 2004. Thank you for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What are you recording from ??

MickinCT
post #1053 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM

I am trying to record to the hard drive without success. It just records a black screen.

post #1054 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 10:43 AM

what inputs are you using ? from a cable box out to the recorder?

MickinCT
post #1055 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 AM

I have antenna tv going into the Toshiba then connected to the TV. I have the Toshiba connected to the TV via component video cables.

post #1056 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM

THE tuner in the recorder is not digital cannot use. you need input from sat box or cable co box to line inputs of recorder.

MickinCT
post #1057 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 AM

I do have a Channel Master D2A digital analog converter I was using for my old CRT set. So I should be good if I connect the Toshiba to the D2A and then to the TV?

post #1058 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM

It worked that way, but the picture suffers big time with this configuration. It's a shame that the Toshiba is not digital. I will keep it only for that old set (it still works great).

Thanks for your assistance.

post #1059 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM

By the way - does anyone know of a good DVR or blu ray burner that has similar recording capabilities (with a hard drive) as the Toshiba RD-XS32?

post #1060 of 1068 Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90

If recording from the CM D2A converter box using S-video to your Toshiba you should get quite good picture quality, of course not HD but it should look as good as a commercial DVD.

I have several CMs and was recording this way for quite some time but have now moved onto a Tivo HD DVR and only use my DVDRs to make DVDs off my Tivo(and other sources).

This would also work for you, timeshift with a HD DVR and only offload things you really wanted to keep(using the line output of the DVR). A basic HD DVR with digital tuner can start ~$50 but you'd need to add a USB HDD which also start ~$50 depending on size. The iView 3500 or similar Homeworx DVRs are the cheapest options and have line outputs(unfortunately not S-video) so the DVD quality will be good but not great. Those 2 models are also a bit quirky and aren't as polished as something 2 or 3 times the cost, it's all up to how much you want to spend.

Again using your CM and S-video to your Tosh you should be getting a pretty decent picture, if not you may either have too high of expectations or something else may be wrong. Note LED TVs can look really stunning with good quality HD sources but the same thing that makes HD look razor sharp can also make things like DVDs look not so great. Samsung is a good brand, very cheap LCDs can look much worse with SD.

As to your last question, in N. America we have no standalone HD BD recorders, to do that you'd have to build your own with a PC. DVDRs are basically a dead product and very few compared quality wise to your XS Toshiba, sad but true.

post #1061 of 1068 Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all of the responses to my posts. It has been very helpful.

This may sound like common knowledge to most (but I'm arriving late to the game) could you give me some more (decent quality) examples of HD DVRs? I am aware of Tivo but want nothing to do with a subscription. I did check out Roku which is appealing, but I'd still like to make HD recordings if I were to get that.

post #1062 of 1068 Old 01-09-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90

HD DVRs start as cheap as $40(+ USB HDD) for something like the iView3500(which I have as a backup for my Tivo HD) all the way up to ~$700 for a 4 tuner Tivo Romeo with no monthly fees.

For more talk about HD DVRs check out the HDTV Recorders forum right here at AVS. Each model has it's own thread and on the first page you should see Videobruce's 2014 comparison thread that may be helpful to you.

The newest model is by Channel Master called DVR+. It's dual tuner and has a guide similar to Tivo, like the iView you need to add a USB HDD but unlike the iView the CM is a more polished product, the single tuner iView is more of a project box but works OK as a overflow recorder for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders

post #1063 of 1068 Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long time since I've been here.. My (2nd) remote finally pretty much died -- basically it seems to not recognize the internal button is pushed, so none of the buttons on the top flap were working.. (the most important ones, IMHO).

Looks like I paid about a buck more than I needed to! $13.xx instead of $12.xx now that I searched again for the model # of the remote rather than just "xs32 remote". Totally kidding, though apparently some are new, some are used.. I think mine is used.

I don't use my XS32 anywhere near as much anymore -- I transfer shows off my Tivo and watch faster than realtime on my iPad with VLC.. But I still use the xs32 as the 'main switcher' for my TV, as switching HDMI inputs is so darn slow. Yeah, I guess I can tell a difference on some shows when hooked directly to the TV, but not many.
post #1064 of 1068 Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM

Remotes

I have two, like new. Would anyone be interested in them for $10 plus shipping? I think they could go into a flat-rate box to conus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remotes back.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	213129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remotes front.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	213137  
post #1065 of 1068 Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That's funny.. That is exactly the remote I (accidentally) bought. It works fine, BUT THERE ARE NO HD/DVD buttons. So I can't switch between the hard drive and the DVD with this remote as far as I can tell.. am I missing something?

Otherwise, it seems IDENTICAL to the existing remote (e.g. has chapter mark, etc., on the _outside_ flap, which was changed to the inside for XS34, IIRC).

I won't bother returning it, and I admittedly use this FAR less than I used to... But I still use it as a 'switcher' for a lot of my viewing (yes obviously I'm not getting HD this way), and sometimes to record then watch faster than realtime. (I so wish Tivos had that built in.)

Maybe some eon I'll find the EXACT XS32 remote and buy one. It'd just be another $10.. sigh.
post #1066 of 1068 Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Remote / HD button

Mine did not have a hard drive, was only a DVD player/recorder.
post #1067 of 1068 Old 09-08-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's funny.. That is exactly the remote I (accidentally) bought. It works fine, BUT THERE ARE NO HD/DVD buttons. So I can't switch between the hard drive and the DVD with this remote as far as I can tell.. am I missing something?

Otherwise, it seems IDENTICAL to the existing remote (e.g. has chapter mark, etc., on the _outside_ flap, which was changed to the inside for XS34, IIRC).

I won't bother returning it, and I admittedly use this FAR less than I used to... But I still use it as a 'switcher' for a lot of my viewing (yes obviously I'm not getting HD this way), and sometimes to record then watch faster than realtime. (I so wish Tivos had that built in.)

Maybe some eon I'll find the EXACT XS32 remote and buy one. It'd just be another $10.. sigh.
Toshiba OEM Remote for XS32

-Willie

Last edited by Willie G.; 09-08-2014 at 03:06 AM.
post #1068 of 1068 Old 09-09-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie G. View Post
Cough.. $45.

The major thing that goes wrong in these remotes is the (!@$# stupid) little plastic 'cone' that pushes the hidden button to indicate the top is closed (plus the plastic clasp to hold it closed)... So I'll probably just keep using one of my existing XS32 remotes to do the DVD/hard drive switching (which is rare)..

So I may email back the place I bought this from (which I think I noted above wasn't absolutely the cheapest, which I didn't realize at the time), to see if they have the exact same remote -- they did include a little card saying "email us if you have any problems" kind of thing.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page