Toshiba RD-XS32 Help Thread, Current Owners Only - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1073 Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nascar24/Grocky

Thanks guys for the response. I have to drive 22 miles to BB to exchange the Fuji's that I bought today, I'll start looking closer at manufactured point of origin. I'm bad about picking up "on-sale" media. Never was a big issue with me previously.

Keep pluggin away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1073 Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KJK77
Bear15 & All

Just got my RD-XS32 yesterday from Newegg.com ... Saw your thread on Fuji-R and -RW, got a five-pack of RW's and a 50 pack of -R's. Can't get either one accepted by the Tosh. I also tried a compUSA-R which didn't work but a old used memorex-RW works fine.

I have had great success with TDK 8x DVD-R's and Sony DVD-RW's. Got both on sale at Best Buy. Good luck!

JK27
post #93 of 1073 Old 01-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How long does it take your X32 to load blank DVD's? I've been using the yellow Maxell 4x DVD-R and sometimes it takes way over a minute not to mention a couple of times it fails to load. Trying again usually get them to load.

Let's put it this way, if you wanted to record something quickly directly to DVD, I could never attempt it due to the long, long load time.

Is this normal?
post #94 of 1073 Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

I can't comment so much on blank media, but it sure takes a while to load a previously burned or even a commercial dvd. Just a minor annoyance; not sure why, unless it has to run through its whole list of supported media / recording types to identify it.

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #95 of 1073 Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by 6volt
How long does it take your X32 to load blank DVD's? I've been using the yellow Maxell 4x DVD-R and sometimes it takes way over a minute not to mention a couple of times it fails to load. Trying again usually get them to load.

Let's put it this way, if you wanted to record something quickly directly to DVD, I could never attempt it due to the long, long load time.

Is this normal?

I just did test loadings with Ridata 4x and Sony 8X DVD-Rs. Both took 35 seconds to load on my XS-32.
post #96 of 1073 Old 01-23-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i just make sure i always have a blank disk loaded.

if you forget though, just record to the hard drive.

Just say no to cable.
post #97 of 1073 Old 01-23-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You have time to make dinner in the amount of time it takes to recognize a DVD-RAM.
post #98 of 1073 Old 01-23-2005, 06:41 PM

I just found a use for my bad Memorex DVD-RAM disks. I just popped out the Memorex DVD-RAM and reused the cartridge by putting in a Fuji DVD-RAM disk (that came without a cartridge) inside the Memorex cartridge. Viola! Now my high quality Fuji DVD-RAM disks are protected.
post #99 of 1073 Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM

GO FIGURE -- As I previously reported, my RD-XS32 burns okay to the Hd, -Ram, and -RM, starting last Friday I have tried DVD-R's --TDK 2x-8x, Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim 1x-4x, Imation, CompUSA. On 1 occasion the Tosh accept an Imation after the 3rd try. Today I picked up a 15 pack of Office Depot 4x DVD-R's, the Tosh accepts these DVD's and they happen to be the cheapest I have found, I'm gonna quit looking for other brands since these are working. I now can take full advantage of what this recorder can do, lots of manual reading and learning the remote control, lots to absorb for an old buzzard like me.

KJK77

Keep pluggin away
post #100 of 1073 Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM

After creating chapter marks, how do you delete just one mark or all the chapter marks? Do you use the "merge with previous cptr", "merge with following cptr", or "merge all chapters" commands or is there another way?

I was messing around with a recording last night and actually deleted the chapter I created which was not the thing to do because that deleted that section of the recording.
post #101 of 1073 Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, the Merge commands are the way to go.

post #102 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 AM

I just bought the Toshiba RDX32 and i'm unable to get the IR Blaster working. I have an Old Shaw digital cable box, General Instruments, I think it's model is: DCT 1124/1251 (or so it says on the bottom). i've tried all of the GI codes, the Gerrold and Jerrald, and a few other codes as have been suggested on the forums (092, 100) but nothing works. No matter which code I use I am unable to get the DVDR to change the cable box's channel. This is frustrating as without that I can't have the recorder change the channel when taping off of timer. Which sort of defeats the purpose of the unit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not ruling out a faulty IR blaster as well but I suspect my cable box isn't compatable or needs a code that isn't listed in the manual. Still NONE of the codes seemed to even partially work which is usually strange in IR Blasters as often a wrong code will at least change the channels incorrectly.

Does anyone know of a specific Shaw cable box that has worked for their RDX32? (if I know one works for sure then I might try and get my hands on it.)

The other question I have is what is the best way to set up the system? I have a surround sound receiver to go along with the DVDR, Shaw Cable Box, a VCR, another DVD (which I will likely play back movies from although eventually I may want to try copying movies for that DVD to the DVDR) and a Playstation 2. Right now i have it set up so the cable from the wall goes into the cable box, out of it and into the receiver (via 3 pronged video/audio cable) which goes to the DVDR (via a 3 pronged video/audio cable as opposed to say S-Video). The old DVD goes to the receiver then to the DVDR (just like I did with the VCR prior to the DVDR). The Playstaiton will likely be hooked up to the front jacks in the DVDR. This system means the DVD player and cable stream runs through the receiver first before going to it's final destination. So that the receiver switches between VCR/now DVDR (which is also TV mode), and DVD player and it allows me to tape off of any channel (although if using a timer can only tape of a single channel unless I manually change it).

The system I used was if I had to tape off of a scrambled channel I taped it off of the main TV. If I wanted to tape off of timer and it wasn't a scrambled channel then I would tape it off of a different VCR/TV set up so I could have the timer change channels. So generally speaking I would tape off of the second TV, grab the tape and run it off of my main TV for playback. Now I'd love to be able to use the DVDR to record off of any channel with the timer changing channels for me (obviously need to get the IR working). Baring that I would like to set up my system so I can switch between recording through the cable box (so have to manually change the channel but can tape any station) and bypassing the cable box so I can record any non-scrambled station with the timer changing the channels for me. (I don't have a problem grabbing a switcher or manually swapping the cables so I could tape off of the cable box as that's the system I used before I got my 2 VCR set up). I tried to set it up so I could swtch between cable and TV mode but it didn't work for me.

IF I can't get it set up so I can record off of timer and have it switch the channels for me I will probably return the system. (No point in dishing out $700 for a DVDR if I end up having to tape off of my VCR, especially since my main VCR is crapping out on me and will need to be replaced). Then I would either give up on the DVDR and pick up a cheap VCR to replace my main VCR and use the system which was working fine for me. Or pick up a cheaper DVDR (doesn't have a hard drive but the $300 cheaper Toshiba DR2 being the likely candidate, DVD Ram is a decent alternative to a hard drive) and grab a cheap VCR to do the playback shuffle I was doing before.

I hear that the Shaw Cable Boxes now have a reminder feature so you can set up a timer with the cable box and have it change the channel with the recorder just set up to start recording at the right time. But my cable box is unable to do that (it's old probably can't accept the change in programming). If that's the case I might grab one of those (preferably rent like i'm doing now) so I can chagne the channels while recording off of timer either by the cable box's feature or by IR Blaster.
post #103 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PhinPhan
After creating chapter marks, how do you delete just one mark or all the chapter marks? Do you use the "merge with previous cptr", "merge with following cptr", or "merge all chapters" commands or is there another way?

I was messing around with a recording last night and actually deleted the chapter I created which was not the thing to do because that deleted that section of the recording.

I recommend that you always create a playlist prior to editing. That way, if you delete something from the playlist (e.g. a chapter that you really wanted to keep) the original is still on the HDD.

JK27
post #104 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Jason, the nice thing about the XS32 is that it is very flexible and you can set it up in almost any configuration. A lot of it has to do with the number of inputs your TV has, and if your cable box has more than one output.

Mine is set up this way: I have a cable splitter with one half running to the cable box. From the cable box I have component inputs to the TV, and S-video inputs to the XS32 on L1. The other half of the cable splitter runs to the XS32 RF input, and then looped out to the TV main RF input. I also have the XS32 component outs connected to the TV. (My TV has two sets of component inputs). I also have a VCR connected to the XS32 L3 inputs. All sound is run directly through the surround system receiver. I don't run any video through the surround receiver as I think it degrades it somewhat. The XS32 is set up as though w/o a cable box, although one is connected to the L1.

With this configuration I can:
Watch TV off the main cable input (better quality), or digital / High Def.
Watch DVD's or TV through the XS32.
Record any analog TV channel w/o the cable box.
Record any digital or HD through the L1 input
Record any combination of both, BUT I can't set up timer recordings with more than one digital / HD channel w/o changing the channel myself between recordings. This is the only drawback, but it hasn't caused me a problem yet.

If your cable signal is strong enough, splitters are invaluable. You get the best of both worlds.
post #105 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Jason, I have a similar setup to Bear15, and it works very well, especially since a lot of Shaw stations are still analogue so you don't have to use the cable box to record those stations. (In fact the analogue stations look consistently better direct through the XS32 tuner than via the cable box.)

I had (owned, not rented) an old Motorola DCT2000 cable box (not as old as yours, though!), which died; Shaw just replaced it with a newer 2500, no charge. I don't think they rent any cable boxes any more, and I don't know what you'd have to pay for a 2500, but I'd call them up... you might get a deal if you turn in your rental. The 2500 lets you set up a timer program to 'record', so it turns on the box (if off) and tunes the station at the correct time. Means you have to set up both the cable box and XS32, but not a big hassle and works fine for me.

I didn't bother trying the IR repeater, because I wanted to use the XS32 tuner for analogue stations. I believe if you set it up to use the IR, it assumes you want to do all your tuning that way, so you can no longer use the built-in tuner.

post #106 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bear15
Jason, the nice thing about the XS32 is that it is very flexible and you can set it up in almost any configuration. A lot of it has to do with the number of inputs your TV has, and if your cable box has more than one output.

Thanks for your help. I've got my system working more or less the way I want it to work (yay, don't have to take it back). I'd like to think I could have done it myself (when I woke up this morning and started thinking about the setup again I was thinking along those lines before I read your message), but it's nice to have someone say "this is how I have mine set up and it works." That way I know i'm on the right path and when it didn't work right away I just kept plugging at it (my receiver made it a bit difficult to set up particularly getting it to do the sound right). After some experimenting it came down to treating the DVDR the way I treated the receiver (as the central point where everything goes through and it determines which feed is shown). Under my old setup the receiver determined which visual and audio feed to show. Now the DVDR is where I set which feed to watch (cable box, non-box cable feed, and normal DVD). The receiver only gets switched when I want to watch a DVD (for some reason I couldn't get the DVDR to put out Dolby Digital so DVD movies used surround sound but by running my old DVD's audio directly to the receiver I can get it to go surround sound so no big deal there)

So the system is working fine. I can watch TV either through the cable box (changing channels via the cable box's remote) or through the direct feed (changing channels through the DVDR) either way I can record, pause live TV etc. Which should also mean that I can have the DVDR change the channels during timed recordings (as long as I set it to the correct feed) for unscrambled stations and anything I need to tape from a scrambled station has to go through the cable box and I set the box channel. As far as I can tell I can even set timer recordings to tape off of the unscrambled channels changing channels when needed and set other recordings to go off of the box. So if say there's 4 shows I need to tape unattended, 1 of them off of a scrambled station and 3 off of different unscrambled stations i can do that as long as they don't run at the same time (although I will experiment to see if one can record off of the cable box AND the unscrambled feed at the same time. I suspect not but if I can...) Of course I would have preferred it if the IR blaster worked so I could record any channel off of timer and have it automatically switch stations but this will do. Perhaps in the future I will check with Shaw and get a newer terminal as apparently their newer terminals have a feature that changes channels off of their own timer if I can get that then I will be able to get it working almost perfect.

Now to sit down and read the manual to figure out how to operate it correctly...
post #107 of 1073 Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you can get a new box from the cable company?
post #108 of 1073 Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Wow, this thread jogged my memory to check on something....

One thing I really like about the XS32 is the ability to schedule weekly recordings, just schedule it once and forget it. That is so handy, I don't have to think about it and I always have shows waiting to be watched. Well, I just checked my Motorola cable box and it can do the exact same thing. Just program it for whatever HD or digital channel I want, and the frequency that I want to record it. Then set the XS32 for the same thing on input L1, and I've got digital recordings every week. Now I can schedule multiple recordings off the box. That solves just about every programming issue I had.

I'm not sure of all cable STB's have this ability, but I'll bet most of the newer ones do.
post #109 of 1073 Old 01-26-2005, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

exactly, that's why i don't get hung up on the ir blaster not working.

both my satellite receivers have timers too.

Just say no to cable.
post #110 of 1073 Old 01-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Forgive a senior: But I have made a play List and now how do I delete the commercials?
Thanks\\Ralph
post #111 of 1073 Old 01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Ralph.

If you've done the following:
- Set chapter marks in the recording
- Created a playlist of just the chapters you wish to save

All you have to do is copy (dub) the playlist, either to the HDD or DVD. Whereas a playlist is just pointers into the original title, when you copy a playlist it actually takes those chapters of the original title and creates a brand new title with just that content. In other words, you don't delete the chapters per se, you just leave them behind.

Hope that makes sense...

Perry.

post #112 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear15
Wow, this thread jogged my memory to check on something....

One thing I really like about the XS32 is the ability to schedule weekly recordings, just schedule it once and forget it. That is so handy, I don't have to think about it and I always have shows waiting to be watched. Well, I just checked my Motorola cable box and it can do the exact same thing. Just program it for whatever HD or digital channel I want, and the frequency that I want to record it. Then set the XS32 for the same thing on input L1, and I've got digital recordings every week. Now I can schedule multiple recordings off the box. That solves just about every programming issue I had.

I'm not sure of all cable STB's have this ability, but I'll bet most of the newer ones do.

That's what I'm hoping to be able to do in the future (when I get a new cable box). I'm just not sure if Shaw still rents cable boxes or if I have to buy one in order to replace the one i'm renting. That's someting I need to check out (perhaps later tonight once i've got done some things that need to be done unrelated to my new toy). The box I have doesn't have any timer type features so...

On the subject what type of DVD R does the XS32 do? + or - ? I just found out that there's a difference and I need the right type of DVDR disc in order to use it if the XS32 doesn't do + and -. I'm also assuming that if a friend's DVD player is listed as DVD-R then it can play - but not +. I may need to return the sppindle of DVDR's I bought...
post #113 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Potapoff
On the subject what type of DVD R does the XS32 do? + or - ?

The RD-XS32 can record on DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

JK27
post #114 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM

First: GREAT thread - very informative. Has already answered a couple of my questions.

I've had my RDSX32 up and going since mid December. I'm not the type to read instructions (I know, I know, not good, not good) but am more into trial and error - thus the following error...

I have 8 or 10 movies recorded to my hard drive and never had the
"DVD Compatible Mode" set to either SAP or MAIN and once I finally read the manual, it says theres no use to set this function when dubbing but to set prior to actually recording to the harddrive. So, is there any way to record these movies to a DVD without bringing another DVD burner into the equation (which I don't have)? or are they pretty much trash??

Thanks for all the knowledge - again, very informative!
post #115 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a RD-XS52. I discovered something lastnight, it should do the same on the XS32. On a 1 hour recorded show, at the beginning of a commercial if you press the right arrow button it jumps 3 minutes ahead. An Icon of "1/20" appears so I guess it jumps ahead 1/20 of the recording. So I guess a 2 hour recording will jump 6 minutes. So on a 1 hour show it will work as a 3 minute commercial skip.
post #116 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

luuz'r, I haven't tried this, but you could try either a line dub or a rate conversion dub. (I think that's what they call those procedures... I'm not at home to check.) I'm not sure either option will work; I don't really understand what the compatibility mode is all about. Just ideas.

Perry.

p.s. both procedures are in the manual... it's rtfm time.

post #117 of 1073 Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

born can do a Rate Conversion dub, which runs in real-time. I.e., it takes a lot longer, and sacrifices a bit of PQ, but it will get the shows from your HDD to DVD just fine.

- Tim

- Tim
post #118 of 1073 Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 AM

I just bought my XS32 from Amazon for $351.44, no tax or shipping, a big difference from Target who wants $599.00 for the same unit.

I currently own a Panny E55 which I'm returning to Circuit City, good price of only $229.00

I've heard the manuel stinks on the S32, have any simplified instructions been created in any of these S32 threads?, is the manuel better or worse than the panny manuels which are no bargain.

I have a comcast digital cable box, is there any kind of timer recordings I can set up between the two.
post #119 of 1073 Old 01-28-2005, 08:34 AM

post #120 of 1073 Old 01-28-2005, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by grocky
chole, Check out this link

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...ht=xs32+manual

great stuff, grocky.

i think i'm gonna make a seperate post for it, so we can find it easily.

Just say no to cable.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page