Samsung Recorders - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5
DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > Samsung Recorders
DominionKnight's Avatar DominionKnight 11:00 AM 02-08-2007
Do any of you have any experience with the DVD-R129? I purchased it 4 days ago and was able to record one full DVD-RW. Then last night right in the middle of a recording the unit displayed "SAFE" on the front panel and would not respond to any commands from the remote or the panel. I tried to STOP the recording but the unit would not respond. The only button that did work was the power button and that yielded a "cannot power down while recording." So I unplugged the unit for 6 hours and immediately upon plugging it back in, even before the disc is checked, the unit displays "SAFE." I can power the unit on and off, but that's it - I can't do anything else, not even change inputs. This is even with all cables disconnected.

I have a feeling the unit is hosed but I would at least like to recover the disc before I return it. I have even tried ejecting the disc during power up, which results in a power down.

I even did some research on Samsung's site and found a reference to some kind of dealer lock on older units with methods to remove them - this also results in a power down. I don't see anything in the manual or online regarding this "SAFE" message either.

Any ideas are welcome.

Bill1313's Avatar Bill1313 11:08 AM 02-08-2007
Sounds like some kind a Lockout to me too (Dealer, Parental?). If know one here can tell you how to unlock it I would call Samsung I'm sure they can tell you how to do it.
bobbyslav's Avatar bobbyslav 11:38 AM 02-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominionKnight View Post

Do any of you have any experience with the DVD-R129? I purchased it 4 days ago and was able to record one full DVD-RW. Then last night right in the middle of a recording the unit displayed "SAFE" on the front panel and would not respond to any commands from the remote or the panel. I tried to STOP the recording but the unit would not respond. The only button that did work was the power button and that yielded a "cannot power down while recording." So I unplugged the unit for 6 hours and immediately upon plugging it back in, even before the disc is checked, the unit displays "SAFE." I can power the unit on and off, but that's it - I can't do anything else, not even change inputs. This is even with all cables disconnected.

I have a feeling the unit is hosed but I would at least like to recover the disc before I return it. I have even tried ejecting the disc during power up, which results in a power down.

I even did some research on Samsung's site and found a reference to some kind of dealer lock on older units with methods to remove them - this also results in a power down. I don't see anything in the manual or online regarding this "SAFE" message either.

Any ideas are welcome.

I read somewhere else on this forum of another person with the same problem. He said that holding down the DISPLAY (or maybe it was INFO) button down for 5 seconds unlocked the safe mode designed for display units at stores so customers can't mess with them too much.
DominionKnight's Avatar DominionKnight 11:55 AM 02-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

I read somewhere else on this forum of another person with the same problem. He said that holding down the DISPLAY (or maybe it was INFO) button down for 5 seconds unlocked the safe mode designed for display units at stores so customers can't mess with them too much.

Thanks for that!

It was the INFO button - and apparently that is how the unit was inadvertently put into SAFE mode as well. As I have a 6yr old nephew that may actually come in handy

I must add that this unit has worked quite well for what I am doing (recording shows from DCT6412 via A/V) so I'm glad I don't have to return it.

Thanks again
bobbyslav's Avatar bobbyslav 12:05 PM 02-08-2007
I am glad it worked. This looks very similar to the DVD-R130 which I saw last night refurbished for $50 and I am thinking about getting it.
trouptra's Avatar trouptra 08:18 PM 02-08-2007
Regarding the lip sync problem that many have reported...

I have a VR325 connected with hdmi for video and audio is through optical using bitstream mode. I do not have the skipping audio problem. From reading the posts, I'm guessing that some receivers combined with certain samsung dvd players/recorders have some compatibilty issue. Notice that the people that have the problem still have the problem after trying multiple units - maybe because they've always used the same receiver. I think one person said he tried a friend's receiver and it was fine. Probably more people that have the problem should try a different receiver at a friend's house and let us know what happens.

By the way my receiver is a pretty old Yamaha RX-V992.
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar gunbunnysoulja 09:34 PM 02-08-2007
I am looking at the Samsung R-135, and was wondering is it possible to connect HD DVD or blu-ray (or PS3) to a DVD-R via composite or S-Video for a 480i transfer?
bobbyslav's Avatar bobbyslav 10:17 PM 02-08-2007
no.
ncaahoops's Avatar ncaahoops 04:44 PM 02-09-2007
How does the Samsung LP mode compare? Specifically with Panasonic's LP mode since I am familiar with that one. I am tempted by a certain refurb Samsung :-)
kburns's Avatar kburns 06:03 AM 02-10-2007
i seem to have lost the entire on screen menu. It does not display. Any help out there for this?
jeff12345678's Avatar jeff12345678 08:44 AM 02-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeelvis View Post

Hey -

I have been having an ususual problem with the Samsung 330 combo recorder. I've recorded on both DVD-R and DVD+R. On playback in the Samsung, the lipsync is slightly off with the video being very slightly ahead ahead of the audio.

I have not had the opportunity to play one of my recorded discs in another machine because my other machines are too old to play back any of the "home" recorded formats.

Prerecorded discs do not have this problem when being played back in the machine.

PS: I just played back the recorded disc in a friend of mine's machine that will playback DVD-R and the lipsync is fine - no problem and I must say the video looks great also (much better than the video from the Samsung).

What the heck is going on with Samsung. It seems the recorder portion of their DVD recorder/combo works great, but the playback sucks. What's the deal?

Anyone else have this problem or know if there is a software fix?

I'm having the same issue, using Maxell DVD +RW
bella3421's Avatar bella3421 11:32 AM 02-11-2007
I Have bought a samsung Vr330 dvd player. I can play DVDs and vidos with no problem but am having difficulty recording on DVDS. Everytime I put a Blank Disc in (DVD-RW) it is coming up with a message- this disc cannot be played please check the disc- As far as I am aware the discs are fine, they were bought new from HMV.
The full menu for the dvd player is not coming up either. it just spits the disc out as soon as the above message is displayed.

I have checked through the thread and noone seems to have had this problem
I am not sure if I am really silly but both myself and my sister have spent hours trying to work out what is going on to no avail. Please can someone help me.

Thank you very much in advance.
pghflyer's Avatar pghflyer 03:20 PM 02-13-2007
No fixes I could find for mine - just learned to deal with it. In actuality (after a few months), mine skips about 4 times during a normal movie. Annoying to be sure. I am hoping someday they will post a fix for this on the product page:

http://www.samsung.com/support/produ...e=UM&language=
J_1392's Avatar J_1392 07:58 PM 02-24-2007
I have had a Samsung VR330 for about six months and for the most part works fine until now. It fails to finalize any -R or +R discs. The only discs that it will finalize are the +R DL discs. This was happening every so often a few weeks ago and I tried some different brands of both DVD -R and +R and it seemed to work ok. Now every disc fails to finalize. Are there only certain brand of discs that work with this recorder. Heard elsewhere that one of the DVD Recorder Manufacturers stated that it was a DISC problem and not a recorder problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have wasted so much time with this I just want to dump this recorder in the trash. Then I guess the problem would be what to replace it with.
DonB2's Avatar DonB2 02:47 PM 02-26-2007
J_1392,

I find it interesting that these DVD media issues like not finalizing is a issue with more than just your recorder. I had issues with my Coby DVD recorder and blamed it on its being a under $100.00 recorder.

The Coby was pretty reliable when I first got it and menu issues were the worst problem.

But the longer I used it the more I got: can't read disk, can't finalize , no disc in drive so could not do timed record even though I had a brand new disc in the drive became the norm.

It got so unreliable I quit using it. And now I see a lot of even more expensive name brand DVD recorders are having the same issues.

Is it the media? Or is it the record optics? Both?

-DonB2
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 05:22 PM 02-27-2007
I've gleaned a lot of good info from this site, asked some questions and got some answers and have yet to be flamed by anybody so I thought I'd post this to help anyone else who intends to implement a similar lash up.

I recently picked up a Samsung DVD-VR330. I got it so that I could transfer recordings from my Motorola DCT6412 III's DVR to DVD (i.e., declutter the DVR) and transfer old VHS tapes to DVD also.

I have a Sony HT-7000DH HTiB that consists of an AV Receiver, upconverting DVD player and the requisite speakers for a 5.1 system. The AVR (HDMI pass through) has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. My set-up up to now, which works just fine, has been as follows:

Motorola DCT6412 III >> HDMI >> AVR
Motorola DCT6412 III >> Digital Audio Optical >> AVR
DVD Player >> HDMI >> AVR
DVD Player >> Digital Audio Coax >> AVR
AVR (MONITOR OUT) >> HDMI >> Samsung HL-S5086W

Anyway, after reading the manual and checking WikiBooks and some AVS threads for info on the VR330 and Moto DCT6412, I figured the following set-up should work:

Motorola DCT6412 III >> S-Video >> VR330 (S-VIDEO IN)
Motorola DCT6412 III >> Red/White Audio >> VR330 (AV 1 IN)
VR330 (DIGITAL AUDIO OUT) >> Optical Cable >> AVR
VR330 (AV OUT) >> Red/White Audio >> AVR
VR330 (COMPONENT OUT) >> Component Cable >> Samsung HL-S5086W

With this set-up, I played back both VHS tapes and DVD videos so I knew that much was OK. I also recorded (on DVD-R) and replayed a few minutes of a non-HD program that is on the DVR so that worked too. I must admit it took a couple of tries. I succeeded only AFTER I realized that I had to choose "SUPER" with the INPUT SEL. button on the remote (is that what the S in S-video stands for?? DUH!). The next things will be to finalize a DVD and try to play it on the upconverting DVD player and my computers and transfer some VHS tapes to DVD.

I currently don't plan to record via the VR330's tuner so I don't have a coax hooked up to the ANT IN JACK. If I decide I want that capability later, I think I'll use a cable splitter where the RG6 comes out of the wall.
DonB2's Avatar DonB2 08:03 AM 03-01-2007
Here is a site that has ratings for different brands of recordable DVD media:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

I will use this the next time I buy DVD's

DONB2
First ... 3  4  5

Up
Mobile  Desktop