Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 845 Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fybush View Post

I shall have to try that once I get this machine working again, one way or another. Thanks for the suggestion! Two new questions:

1. Has anyone tried GRC's SpinRite recovery software? It gets good reviews among some engineers of my acquaintance, and it claims it can recover "TiVo hard drives," which is at least a close cousin of what we're dealing with here.

2. On a more basic level, has anyone actually tried to remove the HDD from the XS34? I've got the top off mine, and the drive seems to be secured by four screws, two on each side - but only one of the screws is easily accessible without further dismantling of the unit. Any suggestions?

When you edit playlists, you are editing 'virtual' copies of the recording. It doesn't affect the original title so you don't fragment the drive.

One neat thing about the Toshiba RD-XS series is I can chop a title into several segments, create a playlist, and combine them in any combination I want. To save HDD space, I can then dub the playlist to the same HDD, then delete the original recording to free up space. All without fragmenting the drive.

In regards to removing the HDD, you must first remove the bracket holding the drive to the chassis via four screws. Use a long blade screwdriver with a magnetized tip so you don't lose the screws. Then remove the four screws securing the HDD to the bracket. The bracket sits next to the burner, and there is no space for even a stubby screwdriver to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 845 Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Thanks for both tips! The bracket you speak of is the one that sits under the drive, with metal "ears" that come up to hold the sides of the drive, right?
post #843 of 845 Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fybush View Post

Thanks for both tips! The bracket you speak of is the one that sits under the drive, with metal "ears" that come up to hold the sides of the drive, right?

Correct. A long blade, magnetic tip screwdriver is essential for dropping the bolts back into the holes to secure the bracket. It may be hard to start the thread and they tend to fall off and roll under the burner and you have to shake the chassis to find them if you don't use a magnetic tip screwdriver.

Be sure you account for all the screws if you lose one! Otherwise they may short out a circuit board if they are left to roll around or get caught somewhere.

It reminds me of guys working on their cars who drop a bolt into the spark plug hole, and figure the exhaust will blow it out the exhaust port. It's all science; it will crack the piston eventually and the damage will cost far more than removing the head to get the bolt out.
post #844 of 845 Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 AM

Hello fellow XS-34 Owners!! (all of them that are still out there)

Despite losing TVGOS after the analog-to-digital conversion I am still using my unit, just have got used to setting up manual recordings instead doing so via the TVGOS guide.

Anyways the clock (somehow) has been correct since the conversion. With the last daylight savings time change about a week ago it still says the old time (one hour ahead).

I've tried the reset clock time via setup and it does it's thing (wait, powers down and then back up) but the clock is still wrong.

Assuming it is wrong now forever, Is there any way to manually set the clock? I've been trying to find an answer and it seems like I may need a firmware upgrade but that's not clear to me either.

BTW: I'm on Comcast cable with a (now) required STB

Steve
post #845 of 845 Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM

At least you only have to deal with the clock ahead an hour. My unit somehow got stuck in the year 2069! It took three days for it to revert to the correct time!

-Willie
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page