XS34 owners.... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 845 Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Willie,

You may have a cable company that doesn't support TVGOS. I do, and this is what I did: I disabled the TVGOS so that the g-link doesn't do anything. I set my recordings in the cable box (vcr timer record) and set the start and stop times in my Tosh. They work independent of each other but get the job done: I can record any channel at any time up to 6 days. Hope this helps.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 845 Old 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

The fear of it not recording something important was unacceptable,so I went back to studying the alternatives.

I definitely don't feel this machine is reliable at this point. Thankfully the satellite school I tape sends out two block feeds, so if I miss one I can record the next.
Quote:

Am I correct it all came about from someone at toshiba giving you codes to use?So if I buy the XS34 and have the problems you had I can have some confidence they can be corrected with a phone call?Do you have the procedure you followed or the name of who helped you?

Yes, she gave me a sequence of numbers to type in while I was in the TVGOS Setup screen. It worked for me (at least from what I can tell so far). If you look back through the posts, one of the guys gave out the numbers. I need to go back and make sure I copy them down.
Quote:

I had about decided to pull the trigger on this player anyways and take my chances,but your latest posts have added to my piece of mind about it.Thanks for leting us follow your progress-you've been a huge help.

I would go for it. I really love this DVR. Hey, in my view, if it has a warranty we're safe. If this happens even in the next 2 years I will send this thing back a million times if I have to until they offer me a refund LOL.
post #183 of 845 Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post

Captain, TDK is listed as 1st class on this site:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You may just have gotten a bad batch even if they do work in the Panny.

Ken

Most perplexing. They certainly look okay. Absolutely no visible imperfections at all. (Yeah, I know what you're going to say -- this stuff works on a microscopic level so what I can't see with the naked eye is irrelevant. But still, the surface is absolutely smooth and flawless. One would think that a defect that causes a total failure to record might be at least barely visible on close inspection.)

Somehow, using the hard drive seems to be involved in the error-causing process. Dubbing at high speed or regular speed results in errors -- and at unpredictable times. (In addition to the problems I've described with trying to do high-speed dubs, I also experienced failures today when trying a "real time" dub -- the first time, after 33 seconds, and the second time, after 19 minutes. Error message said "Recording failed. DVD disc might be dirty." [Of course there wasn't a speck of dirt on it.]) On the other hand, I then tried just recording to the DVD-R straight off the TV broadcast, and that worked fine (28 minutes, no failure).

As I said, very confusing.

I can't talk to Toshiba about it because I have no confidence in their customer service department (notwithstanding Ashley's good luck in that regard). "Scott" (from Toshiba Customer Service) previously told me that the Toshiba recorder will not recognize a DVD-RAM recorded on another machine. Simply not true.

I suspect that my only response from TDK, if and when I contact them, will be finger-pointing at Toshiba.
post #184 of 845 Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Captain, why don't you put all of the problems that you have had in a letter and ship the thing off to the Toshiba repair center. After all, that is what a warranty is for. There is no use in continuing to frustrate yourself with these problems. That is, unless you are addicted to frustration.

I guarantee you, they don't all work the way yours does.
post #185 of 845 Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 PM

Well, the funny thing is, the unit actually works pretty well, for the most part. There is a problem with recording shows using the "end late by" feature, and I will notify Toshiba of that fact. Otherwise, it works quite well. No problems with the TV Guide system, no problems recording and playing programs to or from the hard disc drive, or DVD-RAM. Editing's a breeze.

The problem with dubbing to DVD-R's.....it's perplexing, but it seems to be more of a media problem than a recorder problem. I took Ashley's advice and bought a 50-pack of Verbatim 16X DVD-R's at Best Buy about an hour and a half ago (still on sale for 20 bucks! Amazing! Thanks for the tip, Ash). I just dubbed a movie onto one of them, and it worked perfectly the first time.

What threw me off was the fact that the TDK's which failed every time in my Toshiba had worked fine in my Panasonic. So half the evidence points to a media problem and half the evidence points to a recorder problem. No wonder I'm confused and frustrated!

For now, I'll just stick with the Verbatim media. I'll try to return the TDK discs if I can just find my receipt......
post #186 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 AM

Acording to the manual, it is stated that you have to set the bitrate to 4 or 4.2 in order to burn a DVD video of programming recorded so it can be watched on another dvd player. Is this due to the DVD video standard? I would have thought you could record at a lower bit rate so that you could put 4 hours on a single disk?
post #187 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 AM

My clock setting is wrong and there is no way for me to change it. Apparently, you get ONE chance to set the clock when you first turn the unit on. I hit the wrong button while setting the clock and it gave me the message "Set Clock?", and I tried to back out, but it set it anyway. When I tried to go back in, it was grayed out. I unplugged the unit for about 4 hours and the clock was still bad. I'm guessing its a CMOS clock, so maybe there is a battery inside that needs to be pulled. Toshiba Tech support told me the only way to fix the time would be to get the TVGOS to sync. Unfortunately, I have Directv and the system is not compatable. They said to hook it up to an antenna and let it sync that way.

You've got to wonder how the hell this unit ever got past QC. I work in a company that manufactures time-based equipment and I find it reprehensible that anybody would manufacture a product that only allows you to set the clock once and permenantly. I guess Toshiba had Al-Qaeda engineer this thing.

If anybody knows a hack so I can get into the service menu and reset it, please let me know.
post #188 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12773 View Post

Acording to the manual, it is stated that you have to set the bitrate to 4 or 4.2 in order to burn a DVD video of programming recorded so it can be watched on another dvd player. Is this due to the DVD video standard? I would have thought you could record at a lower bit rate so that you could put 4 hours on a single disk?

Brian, I've recorded to DVD-R using 2.2 (LP) with no problem. I really couldn't tell a significant difference in quality. After finalizing I can watch it on a Panasonic player. What page in the manual did you find that information?

ak199, I noticed the same thing when I set the time initially. It was about a minute off and I couldn't change it. After the TV Guide updated through the antenna the time was correct and has been ever since.

Ken
post #189 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 AM

It was in the DVD creation preparation notes at the bottom of page 122. I thought it was kind of strange.
post #190 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Brian, I've recorded to DVD-R using 2.2 (LP) with no problem. I really couldn't tell a significant difference in quality. After finalizing I can watch it on a Panasonic player.

I second that. I've even done a recording in EP mode and fit six hours onto a DVD-R that plays just fine on my other DVD players. I see what you're talking about though..it's right here in front of me on page 122.
*Preparation
--Record contents which you want to copy to DVD-R/RW disc to make DVD-Video, to the HDD with the flollowing settings:
*"DVD compatible mode"(page 162) "Main or SAP"
*Bit rate of 4.0 or more
--Load a new DVD-R/RW disc. (Follow the instructions on handling of the disc.)
--Press HDD button to select the HDD mode.

I've read this whole manual and didn't really pay attention to that bit rate part.

My replacement DVR came today. It's still in the box on my kitchen floor awaiting hookup...I almost feel scared to open the package LOL
post #191 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 AM

Awww go and plunge right in Ashley. We'll back you up.

Ken
post #192 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak199 View Post

My clock setting is wrong and there is no way for me to change it. Apparently, you get ONE chance to set the clock when you first turn the unit on. I hit the wrong button while setting the clock and it gave me the message "Set Clock?", and I tried to back out, but it set it anyway. When I tried to go back in, it was grayed out. I unplugged the unit for about 4 hours and the clock was still bad. I'm guessing its a CMOS clock, so maybe there is a battery inside that needs to be pulled. Toshiba Tech support told me the only way to fix the time would be to get the TVGOS to sync. Unfortunately, I have Directv and the system is not compatable. They said to hook it up to an antenna and let it sync that way.

You've got to wonder how the hell this unit ever got past QC. I work in a company that manufactures time-based equipment and I find it reprehensible that anybody would manufacture a product that only allows you to set the clock once and permenantly. I guess Toshiba had Al-Qaeda engineer this thing.

If anybody knows a hack so I can get into the service menu and reset it, please let me know.

I had to deal with the clock set forward in the future to the year 2069 for an entire weekend. Not to mention the clock was slow 19 minutes. It wasn't until the TV Guide update the following Tuesday when it was correct. During that time, I lost all my scheduled shows and couldn't record any without doing some math.

I'm sure this does have a CMOS clock. This XS34 is a computer and not like a VCR which is mechanical. Pull the battery out and it would reset to the factory settings. Only thing is, if you crack the case open you end up voiding your warranty.

Quote:

Awww go and plunge right in Ashley. We'll back you up.

Ken

Yes, we're all in this sinking boat together!

-Willie
post #193 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 01:16 PM

New to the board...I've had the XS34 for about 3 months now and it has worked great until 2 weeks ago. Same problem as Ashley: no TV Guide listings. I can see the shows in the search function but not on the standard listing.

Ashley, I saw where you were instructed to input a code in the setup screen. I also have the code from a previous post. Where exactly do you input this number? I only see an option to input a zip code....

Thanks and hope I can give some help back someday.
post #194 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_BAMA View Post

I saw where you were instructed to input a code in the setup screen. I also have the code from a previous post. Where exactly do you input this number? I only see an option to input a zip code....

Input the code from the setup menu on the TVGOS service bar. Make sure to only highlight change system settings. Do not press enter for it to work, otherwise you end up inside the TV Guide setup. On the remote key in the code numbers.

TVGOS diagnostic menu: Setup menu, change system settings highlighted press 753159852.

TVGOS reset code: Setup menu, change system settings highlighted press 653214741.

-Willie
post #195 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbygosh View Post

Willie,

You may have a cable company that doesn't support TVGOS. I do, and this is what I did: I disabled the TVGOS so that the g-link doesn't do anything. I set my recordings in the cable box (vcr timer record) and set the start and stop times in my Tosh. They work independent of each other but get the job done: I can record any channel at any time up to 6 days. Hope this helps.

Mike

Unfortunately my digital cable box is unreliable as well. I've had entire scheduled recordings get wiped clean for no apparent reason. Technology...phooey!

-Willie
post #196 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie G. View Post

Input the code from the setup menu on the TVGOS service bar. Make sure to only highlight change system settings. Do not press enter for it to work, otherwise you end up inside the TV Guide setup. On the remote key in the code numbers.

TVGOS diagnostic menu: Setup menu, change system settings highlighted press 753159852.

TVGOS reset code: Setup menu, change system settings highlighted press 653214741.

I was told to press "enter" AFTER entering in the numbers (and I don't know which string of numbers it was). Oh, well it must have been the reset code. Nothing happened for like 10 seconds and then suddenly TVGOS turned off on its own.
Then I was told to unplug the unit and wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Then she told me to let it sit in standby mode - off - (to update listings). I did check back every couple hours (out of my own impatience) and it did work.

Hey.. I hooked up the new DVR (replacement) and it seems to work without flaw so far. I say that, but then again.. after I put the day and time in and pressed enter and then got out of the setup screen by pressing "setup".. it didn't bring me back to TV.. the same blue splash screen stayed up and at the top left it said "Packet" in big letters LOL oh well.. seems to be working fine. We will see if the listings show up. It's very hard for me not to check this thing HOURLY LOL
post #197 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyinVA View Post

I second that. I've even done a recording in EP mode and fit six hours onto a DVD-R that plays just fine on my other DVD players.

Ashley, how did you fit 6 hours onto a 4.7gb disk? Mine has no EP mode.

Today I dubbed 3hrs 55min of HDD recording onto a DVD-R. All this had been recorded to the HDD at a bit rate of 4.6 SP. To do this I had to do rate conversion dubbing to dub at 2.2 LP. Unfortunately it takes 3hrs and 55min to do this. The picture quality is very good at 2.2 played back on my Panny player. The long time that it takes to do this is a little frustrating. Does anyone know how to do it faster?

I suppose that if the original program had been recorded to the HDD at 2.2 then high speed dubbing would have worked to write it to the DVD-R at 2.2. Seems that high speed dubbing only works when the same bit rate is used on both ends. Not a problem, just an observation.

Ken
post #198 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Ashley, how did you fit 6 hours onto a 4.7gb disk? Mine has no EP mode.

Today I dubbed 3hrs 55min of HDD recording onto a DVD-R. All this had been recorded to the HDD at a bit rate of 4.6 SP. To do this I had to do rate conversion dubbing to dub at 2.2 LP. Unfortunately it takes 3hrs and 55min to do this. The picture quality is very good at 2.2 played back on my Panny player. The long time that it takes to do this is a little frustrating. Does anyone know how to do it faster?

I suppose that if the original program had been recorded to the HDD at 2.2 then high speed dubbing would have worked to write it to the DVD-R at 2.2. Seems that high speed dubbing only works when the same bit rate is used on both ends. Not a problem, just an observation.

Ken

Hmm.. well, I record to my HDD only. I've never done a direct recording to a DVD. How can you not have EP mode? Even when you enter a manual recording into the TVGOS, it gives you an EP option (let alone when you go to "user record" on the quick menu OUTSIDE of the TVGOS) If you look in the manual on page 49 you can see each mode's recording time. When I go to tape something that's a little less than 3 hours (more than 2 hours) I record in Main (and sometimes set my own bit rate). TVGOS's manual record timer gives you the MP option also, but it's a default of 3.0 bit rate. When I tape something that's more than 4 hours, but less than 6 I record in EP (extended play).

It is good to try to record at the right bit rate that you want so that you can high speed dub to your DVD. I've done the conversion thing, but like you said, you have to wait for the whole program to go through. If you do end up doing the rate conversion thing, do it right away (before you've made chapter marks and names), because it erases all that. I would make the copy go to your HDD, and then go back to the final copy and make the chapters with names. This is all of course if you are writing to a DVD-R (which I mostly am).
post #199 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12773 View Post

Acording to the manual, it is stated that you have to set the bitrate to 4 or 4.2 in order to burn a DVD video of programming recorded so it can be watched on another dvd player. Is this due to the DVD video standard.

Actually the specs are still legit DVD standard but they prob put that blurb in just in case it doesn't work on the odd machine.

Quote:

I've recorded to DVD-R using 2.2 (LP) with no problem. I really couldn't tell a significant difference in quality.

You gotta kidding! 4.2 is barely acceptable, LP wouldn't be worth my time.
post #200 of 845 Old 08-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Hmm.. well, I record to my HDD only. I've never done a direct recording to a DVD. How can you not have EP mode? Even when you enter a manual recording into the TVGOS, it gives you an EP option (let alone when you go to "user record" on the quick menu OUTSIDE of the TVGOS) If you look in the manual on page 49 you can see each mode's recording time. When I go to tape something that's a little less than 3 hours (more than 2 hours) I record in Main (and sometimes set my own bit rate). TVGOS's manual record timer gives you the MP option also, but it's a default of 3.0 bit rate. When I tape something that's more than 4 hours, but less than 6 I record in EP (extended play).

It is good to try to record at the right bit rate that you want so that you can high speed dub to your DVD. I've done the conversion thing, but like you said, you have to wait for the whole program to go through. If you do end up doing the rate conversion thing, do it right away (before you've made chapter marks and names), because it erases all that. I would make the copy go to your HDD, and then go back to the final copy and make the chapters with names. This is all of course if you are writing to a DVD-R (which I mostly am).

Ashley, obviously I was unclear. I never mentioned TVGOS. I know about that EP which is the only "EP" in the book. I was only talking about dubbing from HDD to DVD-R. Unless I'm wrong, been there done that, you still can't put more than 4 hours on a DVD-R. If you can then please educate me. So far I have never directly copied a program from the antenna input to ram/r/rw.

shawbros, I skipped around the 2.2 (3hrs 55min) DVD-video recording that I made today and found the video quality to be very good. I would like to agree with you that it looked like crap but I can't because it doesn't. Ashley, what is your take on 2.2 LP as far as video quality?

Ken
post #201 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Unless I'm wrong, been there done that, you still can't put more than 4 hours on a DVD-R. If you can then please educate me. So far I have never directly copied a program from the antenna input to ram/r/rw.

shawbros, I skipped around the 2.2 (3hrs 55min) DVD-video recording that I made today and found the video quality to be very good. I would like to agree with you that it looked like crap but I can't because it doesn't. Ashley, what is your take on 2.2 LP as far as video quality?

LP quality is okay for me, but see, I'm strictly taping classes. The biggest deal to me is that I get a full week's worth on a disc - I don't really care about the quality so much. That said, in LP mode I can definitely tell the difference. Only if it were a matter of getting a long movie onto one disc would I use it.

On page 49 the manual says you can even fit 8 HOURS onto a disc (not that I'm advocating using a 1.0 bit rate (hey, 1.4 for EP is bad enough LOL) Am I not getting this right? I'm probably much more a rookie to all this than you all. But I do know that I've fit almost 6 hours onto a dvd-r. I do know that
post #202 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 05:00 AM

On more thing. I see what you mean about EP being only seen in the TVGOS timer recording section. Outside of TVGOS though, if you press quick menu and choose "User record quality", you can set the "mp" - manual play to 1.4 (which would be EP). Further help would be on page 41-42 of the manual. (sorry, but I love manuals - I read them for fun LOL)
post #203 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I've skimmed over this thread. The only problems that I've seen have been related to the TV Guide feature. I have no use for this so please answer me this question...

Is there any reason, other than TV Guide issues that I should not buy this recorder?

Thanks
post #204 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

I've skimmed over this thread. The only problems that I've seen have been related to the TV Guide feature. I have no use for this so please answer me this question...

Is there any reason, other than TV Guide issues that I should not buy this recorder?

Thanks

I can't think of any reason not to buy an XS34. My TV Guide has been very good so far. If you read other threads you will notice problems with TVG on almost any brand you can think of. I'm very satisfied with my XS34.

Ken
post #205 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

Thanks

The only other reason would be that timer recordings on random machines are not starting. It's just not super reliable at this point (some machines, at least). But I really love the xs34 also.
post #206 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 05:48 PM

Ditto.

I've only experienced one failed timer recording (although even one such failure is unsettling), but I have experienced several stoppages in mid-recording when using the "end late by" feature.

Other than that, it's a pretty good machine.

By the way, while I'm at it, has anyone in this forum who owns an XS34 used TDK media in theirs? I'm still trying to figure out why supposedly top quality media that works fine in my Panasonic doesn't work in my Toshiba.
post #207 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

On page 49 the manual says you can even fit 8 HOURS onto a disc (not that I'm advocating using a 1.0 bit rate (hey, 1.4 for EP is bad enough LOL)

That's an improvement from the xs32. The xs32's minimum is 1.4. (it goes 1.4, 2.0, then up by .2 increments to 9-ish) I record LOTS of watch-and-delete shows at 1.4.

When I haven't gotten around to dumping stuff off to DVD, I've recorded a few things that I thought I might even want to keep at 2.0 with LPCM sound. It's a pretty decent picture, IMHO.
post #208 of 845 Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shirk View Post

Well, the funny thing is, the unit actually works pretty well, for the most part. There is a problem with recording shows using the "end late by" feature, and I will notify Toshiba of that fact.

What is the problem? I'm just curious. The ability to pad recordings was something I was very interested before I actually bought the XS32.
post #209 of 845 Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

What is the problem? I'm just curious. The ability to pad recordings was something I was very interested before I actually bought the XS32.

If you read just a little ways back through the thread you can see all the problems we've had.
post #210 of 845 Old 08-26-2005, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

That's an improvement from the xs32. The xs32's minimum is 1.4. (it goes 1.4, 2.0, then up by .2 increments to 9-ish) I record LOTS of watch-and-delete shows at 1.4.

When I haven't gotten around to dumping stuff off to DVD, I've recorded a few things that I thought I might even want to keep at 2.0 with LPCM sound. It's a pretty decent picture, IMHO.

Do you record at 1.4 because you are afraid of running out of HDD space? Is there another reason?

Ken
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page