$99.99 Cyberhome DVR 1600 DVD recorder. What do you think of it? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 995 Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcsho View Post

The Citizen one has only 4 recording speed and I wonder if it supports -R/-RW. Anyway, it is now in liquidation. I have an Electrohome(Citizen) DVD player that I got in Toronto a couple years ago. From my past experience, its quality is probably in the same range as Cyberhome.

Incorrect; it has five recording speeds; HQ, SP, LP, EP, and SLP...with HQ being one hour, and SLP being 6 hours. It doen't work with -R's, which doesn't concern me anyway since my RCA DVD player will play absolutely anything I throw at it...and if I'm making discs for other people, I can make the master on the Citizen for me, and use my PC to duplicate it on -R's.

From my current experience, its quality is much better than Cyberhome. Much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 995 Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 PM

I honestly don't think the DVR 1600 is worth its weight in recycled plastic. I mean, when something put out by Citizen (and Electrohome and who knows what else other bargain-basement name brand) is so much more noticably better and more reliable, you have to ask yourself...why risk it? If you have the misfortune of owning one of these but still have the opportunity to return it for a full refund or in-store credit, do yourself the favour now before it's too late! Imagine if Enron investors had this opportunity and insight to get their investments back.

It's so nice owning something that doesn't leave me wondering if the disc will actually turn out when it's done. This sort of reliability and assurance is worth giving up DVD-R and -RW recording ability.
post #723 of 995 Old 12-17-2005, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher321 View Post

I have them on Phone saved message contradicting themselves, etc. And also they have my messages on Recording - so they say. "Your message will be recorded for quality assurance" - So did I to them.

First let me say that I completely agree with your position. And I have been tempted to do what you did as well, record the conversation as they do. I just want to make sure that you know that (as far as I know) such recordings are only "legal" when the person being recorded has been informed that they are being recorded. Without such disclosure I don't think you can use the recording. But I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong. Just a heads up, maybe you already knew this, and maybe you did inform them. In which case I applaud your determination. Go get 'em!

EDIT: Reread your post and saw you said "saved message" so if it's voicemail, you're good to go, they know it's being recorded.
post #724 of 995 Old 12-18-2005, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

First let me say that I completely agree with your position. And I have been tempted to do what you did as well, record the conversation as they do. I just want to make sure that you know that (as far as I know) such recordings are only "legal" when the person being recorded has been informed that they are being recorded. Without such disclosure I don't think you can use the recording. But I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong. Just a heads up, maybe you already knew this, and maybe you did inform them. In which case I applaud your determination. Go get 'em!

EDIT: Reread your post and saw you said "saved message" so if it's voicemail, you're good to go, they know it's being recorded.

In my province, it's perfectly legal to record a phone conversation as long as one of the parties knows that the conversation is being recorded. Laws can vary from state to state and in different places in the world, so it's worthwhile checking them out. Also, it's usually the case in american states where recordings are inadmissable as evidence if the other party did not know of the recording; transcripts of the conversation normally are.
post #725 of 995 Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invitro View Post

The model from Mendards is MU1 not MU. It needs different NRG file. I called Cyberhome CS and the img file. Please leave your email or send an email to me. I will send you the right file.

My son bought a November 2005 model with MU1. He is planning to give it to me for Christmas, so it has not been opened yet. Is this the model that will need the different NRG file? If so, would you be kind enough to email it to me also?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before trying to use this recorder?

Many thanks!

TWC Austin, TX--SARA 1.89.24.1--8300HD--Seagate ST3300831AS ext. SATA HD--Apricorn SATA enclosure
post #726 of 995 Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM

searcher321 what model and manufacture date are you talkng about here?
Thanks
post #727 of 995 Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 AM

Hello..

Today I recieved both discs in the mail. They were not labeled properly. I did not know which one to use first. I emailed cyberhome, they emailed me back in less than 2 minutes with the answer.

I have successfuly updated the firmware.

The model is a 1600MU1 - Manufactured September 2005.

When it is all said and done. Cyberhome did make an effort to help me, a remedy, etc.

At first I was pretty upset because of all the round in a circle stuff, and because I was waiting for something that was never sent.
post #728 of 995 Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 AM

I have an -MU1, as well (Nov '05 build). What version of the software did Cyberhome send you?

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #729 of 995 Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 AM

Searcher321,
Would you mind posting the files for all of us to use?? I have a 1600 with the same problem you had, can't read the ISO files from the website, so I can't update the firmware!!
Thanks!
had1
post #730 of 995 Old 12-25-2005, 11:43 AM

With the firmware update for the 1600-MU1(september 2005) the hum tuner is ok?, the tuner is stereo? and the input level audio on the input-video1 is now ok? Sorry for my bad english
post #731 of 995 Old 12-25-2005, 12:06 PM

I have an -MU1 (Nov '05 build). It still has the tuner hum (which I'm sure by now is a hardware issue and can't be eliminated by software).

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #732 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 PM

when viewing DVD's the brightness constantly goes light to dark..anyone else having this problem??
post #733 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like Macrovision copy-prevention mechanism. Are you feeding the DVD Recorder output through a VCR before it gets to the TV?
post #734 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Sounds like Macrovision copy-prevention mechanism. Are you feeding the DVD Recorder output through a VCR before it gets to the TV?

I just did some research and that's exactly it..problem is, it's hooked into a TV w/ a built inVCR.. anything I can do? will this happen with all DVD player's?
post #735 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a property of the DVD, when the company making the DVD has chosen to use the Macrovision copy-protection mechanism. The DVD Player/Recorder is innocent, and will have no effect on that mechanism.

Sounds like, since your VCR is integrated with the TV, and you apparently can't get around the VCR, you need one of those Macrovision-defeating boxes that are easily obtained at most consumer electronics stores.

More involved and questionably-legal approaches involve ripping the DVD to another that removes the Macrovision copy protection. But we tend not to talk about such things around here.
post #736 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Quote:

It's a property of the DVD, when the company making the DVD has chosen to use the Macrovision copy-protection mechanism. The DVD Player/Recorder is innocent, and will have no effect on that mechanism.

Sounds like, since your VCR is integrated with the TV, and you apparently can't get around the VCR, you need one of those Macrovision-defeating boxes that are easily obtained at most consumer electronics stores.

More involved and questionably-legal approaches involve ripping the DVD to another that removes the Macrovision copy protection. But we tend not to talk about such things around here.

thank you sir, I will look into the Macrovision-defeating boxes..That seems to be the consensus of what I have read elsewhere.. any idea of cost??
post #737 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Not very expensive I don't think, maybe $20? I've never bought one myself.

And, you're welcome, glad I could help.
post #738 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 05:47 PM

I bet if I move a cable box in that room I can run the dvd player through the box and that may solve the problem..
post #739 of 995 Old 12-26-2005, 07:59 PM

My friend has a MU unit and likes it. It plays avi/divx files. From what I've read the ZU units do not play avi/divx files. I cannot find another MU unit but now my local Best Buy has MU1 units in stock.
Will the MU1 units play avi/divx files? What is the difference between an MU and MU1 anyway?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
post #740 of 995 Old 12-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I've made about 10 coasters trying to create firmware update disks. I keep receiving an "Unknown Disk" message.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Eric
post #741 of 995 Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 AM

Hello Searcher321

I think I have a MCU as well.
When I try to update with the latest firmware on the cyberhome website it says "unknown disk"...
How can I get the update (why cyberhome doesn't put firmwares on their website for the MCU version)? BTW, what is the version of the firmware? Can you please help me?

My impressions so far (1 day).
The MCU does play divx and xvid. It doesn't play divx3.xx.
And you can make it multi-region quite easily.
The tuner is very noisy (maybe is the cable bundled). I'll try to make it shorter to see if it gets better otherwise I'll start opening it and check the connections on the TV signals (looks like internal crosstalk is happening somewhere).
I've actually just exchanged an MU version (it played only B&W) with this one and I didn't notice so much noise on MU (but it was hard to notice in B&W).
post #742 of 995 Old 12-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budino View Post

I've actually just exchanged an MU version (it played only B&W) with this one and I didn't notice so much noise on MU (but it was hard to notice in B&W).

I know it is too late, but did you check the MU if it is set for PAL output? I got B/W picture when I feed PAL signal to NTSC.
post #743 of 995 Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM

I know, I had a CH500 before and I could do that.
But the DVR1600 didn't have NTSC/PAL settings anywhere in the SETUP.
How can you change it?
post #744 of 995 Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM

I bought it a week ago(MU manufactured on Nov 05) for around 80 us and until now I haven't had any problem. Plays Xvid, Divx and MPG smoothly, Playback quality is good specially with the S-Video output. I have recored both DVD-R and +R...with the cheapest brand available and all of the have finalized with no problem...Also is hackable for region free..what else can you ask for 80 bucks???

Well I'd ask for a macrovision hack..I hope someone give us the good news soon!!!
post #745 of 995 Old 12-30-2005, 08:02 PM

I bought a MU machine after Thanksgiving but I have had little time to use the piece. It was manufactured 8/2005 and the Bios is 413-105N. I went to the website and it appears I have the latest version of firmware 105N but someone wrote earlier they had a machine manufatured in September with 105N/540. Do I need to update just the Back End firmare to go from 413 to 540?? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
post #746 of 995 Old 12-31-2005, 09:20 AM

You only need to update the back end since you got 105N in the front already. I got mine 1600MU at TG sale too, but it has the latest firmware already. There is no MacroVision hack available for this unit.
post #747 of 995 Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 PM

All though these machines have often been trashed on this forum, they have more than twice as many views as the next thread.
post #748 of 995 Old 12-31-2005, 01:41 PM

Billcsho, thanks for the confirmation.
post #749 of 995 Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have mine since Thanksgiving also, and I couldn't ask for more. I drive it from my Motorola cable box, so the lack of a stereo tuner doesn't matter.

Jon
post #750 of 995 Old 12-31-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechulater View Post

Billcsho, thanks for the confirmation.

If you can get the update to work please post how you did it. I've had no success making the disks and getting the machine to recognize them.

Thanks,

Eric
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page