$99.99 Cyberhome DVR 1600 DVD recorder. What do you think of it? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 995 Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How d'you get it to record to DVD-R's?

I tried to copy a movie onto a FujiFilm DVD-R and here's what happened:

1. Inserted blank -R disc
2. DVR 1600 shows the old "Disc is blank wanna initialize it?" message
3. I clicked 'Yes'
4. It started initializing the disk, and the bar graph quickly got to 99%, and then got stuck
5. I had to remove power from the unit to stop it!
6. Turned the unit on again and it seemed to think the disk was OK.
7. I then recorded the movie onto the disc, but haven't tried playing it back yet. I can see that the media has lots of data on it now.

Is this what's supposed to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 995 Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM

Took mine back today (ZU version). First disc recorded but after finalization the only thing that "played" was the title screen (no access to recording). The next two discs were "bad" after recording; wouldn't finalize. It seems that the MU version is worth looking for and that the unit is picky about the media used. I've given up on this unit for now and will try a different brand.
Best of luck!
post #183 of 995 Old 06-23-2005, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Went out at lunch, local BB no units in stock, target had 3 May ZU's, Walmart had 3 Ilo dvdr05's march ZU's....the hunt is on!!
I'm going to return to BB soon, will worry about a MU later.
After work excursion came up empty, went to 2 other Taget's and a BB, all ZU's!!!
I asked 2 guys working at a target if they had any more then 1, he said how many you want?, i told him i wanted a MU, he said we cant look...i was PISSED!!!
post #184 of 995 Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Went ahead an ordered a dirctv dvr ($49) for existing customers. They install two lines to it for recording one show while viewing another. $4.99 a month for the tivo service. Now I can transfer a show to the recorder and if I get a coaster and can try again. No more lost shows.
post #185 of 995 Old 06-23-2005, 10:19 PM

El Geraldo or Anyone:

I'm having problems recording from my relativly new sony dv camcorder to the DVR-1600. I have my sony cam setup to record and play back in 16x9, but when I connect w/ the firewire cable and begin recording, the Cyberhome only seems to record in 4x3. I tried switching the video output, but no luck.

I have it hooked up just basic w/ just regular audio/video cable, since it not my primary player. I bought the machine to simplify having to connect to the pc, convert to mpeg-2, burn to dvd, etc. But doing it the computer route always gave me a 16x9 image on the dvd, black bars, top & bottom on a 4:3 tv. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm primarily only going to use the DVR for home movie conversions. Thinking about getting an open-box pio, phil or sony if I cant get 16x9 recordings.

Help!

Jonathan

jr.
post #186 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Atrac, you mean whichever input you record from it records in pcm?,or is it from the tuner only?
CC sells them here, i'll look at lunch for a MU there, they usually sell stuff in stacks not just a few left like Target'
post #187 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

Atrac, you mean whichever input you record from it records in pcm?,or is it from the tuner only?
CC sells them here, i'll look at lunch for a MU there, they usually sell stuff in stacks not just a few left like Target'

When I recorded with the AV Inputs it was in PCM Stereo. I didn't try tuner recording but I'd imagine it would be PCM as well.
post #188 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I FOUND A MU!!!
Went on another road trip target all had ZU's, next stop BB had 2 , 1 MU!!!
Got another 10 pack of free Verbatim medium, tried to scarf a 10 pack of DL's...hahaha cashier almost fell for it!
post #189 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM

Can any of you copy the VOB files to your PC hard drive?

If I try it with short recordings (400MB) the copy succeeds. If I try it with longer ones the PC complains that the file or directory is corrupt. The DVR 1600 seems to break up the recordings into 1.2GB VOBs.

I am copying to a NTFS drive but have also tried copying to a FAT32. Using WinXP Home. Have tried it on 3 different PCs to same result. I believe others have mentioned problems copying files as well.

FWIW, I have never had a problem with a disc finalizing.
post #190 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

pwright use a free program called dvdecryptor to transfer the vobs to your hard drive
i use the program daily to either copy or mostly burn dvd's on my pc.
dvdshrink is another fairly good and easy progg to use.
post #191 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I FOUND A MU!!!
Went on another road trip target all had ZU's, next stop BB had 2 , 1 MU!!!
Got another 10 pack of free Verbatim medium, tried to scarf a 10 pack of DL's...hahaha cashier almost fell for it!

I only get 1h 56m of rec total time in SP with -R & +R TDK and cheep +R Dynex. whats strange is aft my ZU formats the disc and if I eject it and reload the disc it says 126 min total rec on the disc in the display window but ALL my SPs clock in at under 1h 57m. is there any diff of total time for for the MU in SP? this is a big pain as I have to use the pause, etc just to fit a 2hr vhs in SP. if the MU does rec 2h or a few min more I'd go look for one myself. the good part is HQ is 68min. but with vhs tapes and dvds clocking in at 2h +1 or 2 min its a big problem and hassell to have to trim to fit that damn 1:56 limit.............
post #192 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:

pwright use a free program called dvdecryptor to transfer the vobs to your hard drive
i use the program daily to either copy or mostly burn dvd's on my pc.
dvdshrink is another fairly good and easy progg to use.

Are you saying that you have copied VOBs off of DVR 1600 created discs successfully?

I've tried using DVDDecrypter and it always fails at some point with the Cyberhome created discs. (Works fine with commercial DVDs though.) Fails on discs that playback on my consumer SONY DVD player.

Just picked up some Verbatim 4x DVD+Rs to try since that is the brand they recommend.
post #193 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM

If anyone has the files from the cyberhome website for the ZU model, PLEASE send them to me at preppy95 at aol. I would appreciate it GREATLY since the files on the site arnt downloading.

Thanks so much. Maybe that will help a little on this piece of junk that works about 1 of 5 times.
post #194 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

It amuses me to see people complain about a $99 DVD recorder. Like you expected something more...

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #195 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah, I expect it to WORK. I dont expect good quality. I dont expect awesome menus or options. I dont expect good sound. Yes, even at $99, I expect it to work.
post #196 of 995 Old 06-24-2005, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You're obviously expecting too much.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #197 of 995 Old 06-25-2005, 12:45 AM

Any of you with both a ZU and MU model, do you notice any difference in picture quality between the two, either on playback or recordings?

I've been trying out a ZU here today. DVD playback picture quality is pretty low-fi, even in progressive mode with component out. It lacks crispness and has poor color purity. No surprise, I know, but I was wondering if the MU provides any upgrade at all in that department.
post #198 of 995 Old 06-25-2005, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Carnivore, atrac said he saw some improvement over the ZU,i still have to open the box and try my MU......i'll let you know later today.
atrac i think said the recorded playback was better i dont know about the normal dvd playback, i have a 42" panny plaz so it should show pretty easily.
I know the sound sux esp with no optical out.....which the dvr1500 has.
I'm using s-vid out on the ZU so i cant really tell if component is better.

Also theres a website comparing the 2 different models and menu's
I tested briefly mine this morning and when i tried a dvd-mpegiso with both
vcd and avi files it did play, but i noticed there was no preview showing the movie
being played in the small window...maybe the reason of a software update?

http://webpages.charter.net/zone97/webpages/cyberhome/
post #199 of 995 Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 AM

I obtained a list from cyberhome with all compatible dvds for their machine and all non-compatible.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post5804372
post #200 of 995 Old 06-26-2005, 06:35 AM

I've never tried connecting my camcorder to the DVR 1600; only to my PC. I do a lot of editing on the PC before burning to a DVD, so not really much point in dumping the entire, unedited DV tape to DVD. Sorry!
post #201 of 995 Old 06-26-2005, 09:47 PM

Have been reading all your posts and have found my problems and some new ones. couldn't finalize any disk no matter what brand for love or money. Went to the cyberhome website and downloaded 2 firmware updates and this little machine just sings. My machine was manufactured in april and is the zu version. There are firmware updates for the zu and the mu machines. If you are having trouble go to the website, download and try. I am happy now and maybe it will help some of your problems too.
post #202 of 995 Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey VF- My Cyberhome 1600 is better than your E-95. Sense of Humor !!!!

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #203 of 995 Old 06-27-2005, 02:46 PM

Returned my ZU for an MU and had much higher success rates. Downloaded the update from cyberhome website and have not had a single problem since.

For those who have no purchased yet, get the MU model and dl the firmware upgrades. After that, you will have a machine worth more then the $99 you paid.
post #204 of 995 Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM

You can get the DVR 1600 at Best Buy for $59 or less open box, with this discount

I'm not permited to post URL's yet so add this to Best Buys web address
/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat59100050011&type=category

It's YMMV but I see a number of these coming back at the Best Buy near me. Just do the firware upgrade.

$99 - 10% open box price - an additional 30% with coupon.
post #205 of 995 Old 06-28-2005, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a website with pic's of the inside's of a 1600, a MU or ME model. if your interested...
http://www.redhawk.demon.co.uk/ch-dvr1600/
post #206 of 995 Old 06-28-2005, 10:37 AM

the only problem I have had was with Memorex 4x disks in either + or - R, they will not finalize but yet I can burn 16x(+R) memorex from two different batches with not one problem. Even bought some of the Office Max india made DVD - R's and they burn no problems. Seems to burn any DVD media other than Memorex 4X media.
post #207 of 995 Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post

the only problem I have had was with Memorex 4x disks in either + or - R, they will not finalize but yet I can burn 16x(+R) memorex from two different batches with not one problem. Even bought some of the Office Max india made DVD - R's and they burn no problems. Seems to burn any DVD media other than Memorex 4X media.

it would not work with HP +R. it would not even got to the title screen so I took the 25pk back and exchanged for Maxell +R and the first disk failed. on the second disc it stoped rec. but now no problems after the 3rd disc on. I'll try Philips +R next on sale at CC. so far the only zero problem discs are TDK+R and Dynex and since TDK is NOT even listed as one of the brands they recomend it shows that list is a joke.
post #208 of 995 Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Liked: 11
Most of Cyberhomes testing was probably done before the firmware update.

HD since Sept 2005
post #209 of 995 Old 06-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

so far the only zero problem discs are TDK+R and Dynex and since TDK is NOT even listed as one of the brands they recomend it shows that list is a joke.

They don't recommend the TDK because they have a high failure rate.

I have the TDK + R and they fail about 1/3 of the time. I have burned about 25 of them.

The HP DVD+RW have 100% perfect burn rate. Awesome. I will stick with these for the rw's
post #210 of 995 Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 AM

as long as the firmware is updated I really don't think the brand name is overly important, there are obviously people that are having no luck with memorex and TDK brands and there are those of us that have no problems with them. Matter of fact I have burnt about 15 TDK's with not one problem. it's obvious that the media companies switch around the stock they stamp there names on, one mans tdk is a crap disk from a second rate company and anothers TDK is from a solid vender. You really never know for sure what your gonna get. the only thing you can control is the company your buying it from. companies with liberal return policies are usually your best bet. I guess I have been lucky thus far.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page