wanted: playback at 1.5-2x speed WITH audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend any dvd recorders (or even just players) that can play back at 1.5-2x normal speed with sound? My vcr used to do this and I became really attached to the feature: if you wanted to get through a boring stretch, you could play it at double speed & still catch the dialogue. The pitch would be adjusted so noone sounded like a chipmunk. It was a great timesaver!!

I believe some panasonics do this (they call it "quick view"), but only at 1.3x normal speed. I'd love to find out if other models have this feature (hopefully faster than 1.3x), but I don't know how to find this out short of downloading each & every manual!

Thanks,
Lara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Panasonics do this at 2x FF speed. At least on the newer ones(ES30V, E10, EH50)
post #3 of 18 Old 07-04-2005, 10:47 PM

Agreed, this is a nice feature.

My Panasonic ES10 has this feature at the 1.3x speed. You can FF at 2x, but I think the audio is distorted.

According to Toshiba, the RD-XS34 has this feature at the 1.5x speed. I believe I have read that Pioneer also offers 1.5x speed with no audio distortion, but have a Pioneer owner confirm this.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-04-2005, 11:53 PM

New Sony models (not available in US yet) and new Pioneer can play 1,5x with sound, but I'm not sure about sound distortion.

Cheers
ArtS
post #5 of 18 Old 07-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah my Toshiba rdx52s does it at the lowest fast forward speed, it's probably about 1.5x to 2x but it's not specified. I would guess the new Tosh x34 will too since the control setup is pretty much the same.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

My Panasonic E75 has the 1.3 playback for DVD-RAM recordings and I use it often, especially for news and documentaries. I can watch a 40 minute program in 30 minutes. The sound is faster, but the pitch isn't changed and there are no skips. Even music sounds perfectly clear, just with a faster tempo. My only wish is that it worked with other media types, like DVD-R, so I could use it for DVD commentary.

There is also a 2x playback with sound, but the sound is distorted and not really suitable for anything other than searching.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 AM

The Cyberhome DVR-1600ZU version has this feature. The pitch is compensated but I can't tell you what the rate is. It is not specified in the manual AFAIK.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

The older Pannys did 1.3x with non-distorted sound, but not on finalized or store-bought discs.
I think the newer ones have the same limitation, but I have not tested.
Pannys do 2x with distortion, as others have said,
Pioneers do 1.5x and audio is discernable, but distorted (certainly not as well-processed as the Panny 1.3).

-Ray
Over 3 0 0 0 DVDs served since 2003.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On the Toshibas (or at least the XS32), you can do it on stuff you have recorded (to hard drive or DVD), AND to finalized discs (including commercial DVDs).

I'm getting very addicted to this feature, and am starting to even play stuff on my Tivo and then use the buffer on this recorder to buffer up some stuff (I'll usually watch something else while it's going on) and then watch at the first FF speed with sound. For some things like news shows, most of Letterman, and some documentaries, it's great. It isn't usable (IMHO) for most sitcoms or dialogue heavy dramas. I also sometimes put it in 1FF speed with sound for movie commentaries.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenisaacs
The Cyberhome DVR-1600ZU version has this feature. The pitch is compensated but I can't tell you what the rate is. It is not specified in the manual AFAIK.
Is speech still understandable (ie, not too distorted?) when speeded up? I am interested in this model cuz I understand it'll play divx files...

Thanks everyone for your input - it's been tremendously helpful!

Lara
post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I use it on my E-80 and E-85 to watch SG-1 and Charmed reruns. Gets the hour show minus commercials down to 33 minutes. Just like adding hours to my life. :)

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #12 of 18 Old 07-06-2005, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran
I use it on my E-80 and E-85 to watch SG-1 and Charmed reruns. Gets the hour show minus commercials down to 33 minutes. Just like adding hours to my life. :)
Not good for charmed. Phoebe's jiggle doesn't look realistic at 1.3X.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2005, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gets the hour show minus commercials down to 33 minutes.
Aren't hour-long shows 33 - 37 minutes without commercials even if played back in real time (much less at 1.3X)? ;)

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #14 of 18 Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
Aren't hour-long shows 33 - 37 minutes without commercials even if played back in real time (much less at 1.3X)? ;)

Not in Oklahoma. They are about 42 to 45 minutes long here. In fact SG-1 episodes are exactly 43 minutes long since I have archived them all to DVD-r.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #15 of 18 Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Most hour long shows edit down to 42-45 minutes without commercials. Half hour shows are usually 22 minutes.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM

The FCC has long regulated the amount of commercial time on the broadcast networks PRIME TIME schedule but, and I don't know the exact numbers, the program time has dropped from the low 50s (minutes) to the low to mid 40s. The other day I watched a"Naked City" episisode from 1961 that clocked in at a healthy 51:00 but shows that long went the way of the "good practices seal".
post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I have been collecting "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost". After editing out all the commercials and leadins the average length of actual episode is ~40 min. some are 39 min and others are 41. I have no trouble fitting 3 episodes per disk (SP mode).

My rule of thumb for today's broadcasts is 1/3 commercial.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #18 of 18 Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've found that if you edit out not only the commercials, but also the previews and "coming up next..." segments that most programs have a consistent length. It is different from show to show, but is the same from episode to episode of the same show. I believe the producers of the show must make it a certain length, but then the network/marketing adds more to the show before it airs based on how much commercial time they've sold?

The worst commercial to program ratio I've come across was on a program I recorded on the TV Guide channel. It was an hour long (ended at :51 though) and after removing the commercials it was only 27 minutes. The Discovery channels are probably some of the best with many programs running 45-46 minutes without the ads. There are a few exceptions, like Mythbusters which runs about 43 minutes, and sometimes I think that is so the programs can be syndicated in the future.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page