SIMA CT-2 or the SIMA CT-200: Which is better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 189 Old 08-21-2005, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the CT-2 a little over 3 months ago. Used it to make backup copies of DVD's(store bought) and VHS(store bought) stuff I own.

For DVD's(Family Guy, Seinfeld Season 3, Remember the Titans, etc...) I connected it via S-video input/output(from a Panasonic RP-62 to a Panasonic ES30V DVD Recorder/VCR) and was really pleased with the results. I don't know what everyone is talking about poor black levels. They looked fine on my copies. Even "Remember the Titans" which I figured it would not copy because it was a Disney DVD, and these things I figured are copy-guarded up the wazoo, but the results were perfect.

Anyway, I returned the CT-2 after I was done because I felt that $129+tax was just too much for such a device.

I notice now that the CT-2 is $69.99+tax out the door at CompUSA(not including the rebate which would bring it down to $49.99+tax). This is a much more reasonable price IMHO for this unit.

I also noticed that there is a new CT-200 out for $149+tax. It seems to be the same thing as the CT-2 except it offers 6 video modes(as opposed to 4 on the CT-2) and an auto off feature.

Does the CT-200 offer anything else(better encryption removal?) that the CT-2 does not?

Or is one paying an extra $80 for 2 more modes and an auto off feature. This seems like alot for just this.

Does this unit off alot more decypting features than it's predecessor?

I am debating between the two(although the price of the CT-2, and previous personal experience with it, seems like the way to go right now for me).

I am just wondering if I am missing something BIG on the CT-200 for the extra $80?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the CT 200 is an upgrade of the CT 2

You can buy a CT200 at Compusa this week for $49.99 after MIR (Go to Compusa, the product on sale is actually a CT200). I bought one today for $49.99 after $20 MIR. Rebate also lists CT200.
post #3 of 189 Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The only difference between the Sima CT-2 & the CT-200 is the 2 extra Video settings & the Auto ON/OFF feature on the CT-200.

I bought my daughter the CT-2 a couple of weeks back to use on her Panny E-55 & she has not be able to see the so-called Black Level Bug either so maybe Sima fixed the problem or it only shows up on certain movies? & she has tested her copies on a bunch of different dvd players & HT setups. She is dubbing to the E-55 using a Proscan 8680Z dvd player & also a brand new Panasonic DVD-S29 player.

I missed out on the CompUSA deal & the lowest price I could find at the time on the CT-2 was $70 delivered & that was from NY to Miami from B&H Photo.

As far as prices go a few weeks back Best Buy had the CT-200 on sale for $99.99 but if I was you I would "JUMP" on the CompUSA deal & get one for only $50.

I think the reason Sima even made 2 models was so chains would not have to price match each other. Circuit City carries the CT-2 & Best Buy carries the CT-200.

If you do get one come back & let us know if you can find that Black Level Bug!
post #4 of 189 Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up a CT-200, it appears to be a hundred times better than the CT-2.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #5 of 189 Old 08-22-2005, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

vferrari, By any chance have you seen the Black Level Bug problem? but then again if you think the 200 is that much better than the CT-2 maybe you need a trip to the eye doctor first
post #6 of 189 Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

rudytx---Did you buy it online or go to the store? The web site only lists the CT2.
post #7 of 189 Old 08-23-2005, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis View Post

rudytx---Did you buy it online or go to the store? The web site only lists the CT2.

I bought it at the store. I know that online, and the paper ad states CT2, but CT200 is what I found at the store.

The rebate says ct2/ct200 and it gives only one UPC and SKU number so I think the Ct200 has replaced the CT2.

I would say that if you can, go to the store, so you know you will get a CT200.
post #8 of 189 Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks RudyTx . I'll be close to a Compusa store today. Will check it out.

BTW what is the advantage of using the Sima i/o of your computer and Decryper/Shrink?
post #9 of 189 Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got my CT-200(was looking for the CT-2 as well, which was offered on the CompUSA website) yesterday. When all is said and done, it will have cost me $54(this is with tax included).

The guy at CompUSA said that although the CT-2 is listed on the web, the rebate and price also works for the CT-200, which is all the store had anyway.

Yesterday I backed up Simpsons Season 6 DVD's(the first 2 at least). I had them playing out of a Panasonic RP-62 through S-Video to a Panasonic ES30V DVD Recorder/VCR(with the SIMA in between, of course) and recorded the 2 DVD-R's using FR mode to fit all 7 episodes on each disc(total time was about 2hr 40 min). I used the normal mode on the SIMA while making these recordings(at times it seemed a little to "bright" if you will, but the darken mode was just too dark. The enhanced 1&2 mode were too bright, and the normal was a nice compromise between the two and worked just fine)

The results were just as good as when I used the CT-2 earlier this year. No black level bug(I still can't figure out what people are talking about. I think it their equipment. Whether it is the recorder or player).

I was really pleased with my results. The DVD-R's(Maxell's 8X MADE IN JAPAN) done in FR mode look really good(If I had done them in SP mode, it would have looked better, but I would have to spread the episodes out on more discs which I did not want).

I will finish backing up the Simpson's Season 6, and then try a movie. Maybe something with alot of action(or Dark scences and Light Scenes) and that is maybe less than 2 hrs so I can use the SP mode, although the FR mode on the Panny's work great up to 2HR 55min on one DVD.
post #10 of 189 Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks RudyTx . I'll be close to a Compusa store today. Will check it out.

BTW what is the advantage of using the Sima i/o of your computer and Decryper/Shrink?

I got the Sima because I am traferring my old VHS tapes to DVD. Otherwise I do not need it.
post #11 of 189 Old 08-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

A stupid question. Do you transfer direct to the DVD or put it on the HDD first. If HDD how do you edit out parts you don't want.
post #12 of 189 Old 08-24-2005, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I could be wrong on this & if I am I hope someone will chime in on this but when they were talking about the "Black Level Bug" on the Sima's I think they were talking about it making the bright parts of a picture too bright & the dark parts of a picture too dark & that it could'nt be adjusted out & that it really showed up when the dvd was being played on another player or setup?

As I said above my daughter hasn't had any problems with the copies she made & she even tested them out on her bosses HT setup which has a projector & a 100 ft screen & is all top of the line pro gear & was pro installed.

She has also been dubbing store bought video tapes with a macrobuster from the time that she was 10 years-old & she is pretty picky about picture quality & she is more than happy with her dubs. But maybe she just hasn't found that oddball movie where the black level bug shows up?
post #13 of 189 Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:

A stupid question. Do you transfer direct to the DVD or put it on the HDD first. If HDD how do you edit out parts you don't want.

To HDD first since I want to create chapters at the points I want or erase sections I do not want.

I have a Pioneer 531. Easy.
post #14 of 189 Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

I could be wrong on this & if I am I hope someone will chime in on this but when they were talking about the "Black Level Bug" on the Sima's I think they were talking about it making the bright parts of a picture too bright & the dark parts of a picture too dark & that it could'nt be adjusted out & that it really showed up when the dvd was being played on another player or setup?

As I said above my daughter hasn't had any problems with the copies she made & she even tested them out on her bosses HT setup which has a projector & a 100 ft screen & is all top of the line pro gear & was pro installed.

She has also been dubbing store bought video tapes with a macrobuster from the time that she was 10 years-old & she is pretty picky about picture quality & she is more than happy with her dubs. But maybe she just hasn't found that oddball movie where the black level bug shows up?

I've been using the CT-200 for dvd to dvd and vhs to dvd (of course I own everything I'm recording) and I haven't had any problems. One movie was very bright on the original dvd (The Big Bounce) I believe it was shot in Hawaii. Anyways I used the CT's "dark" setting and actually like my recorded copy better then the original dvd. I'm VERY pleased with the CT-200. I will say it looks and feels kind of cheap but the bottom line is I'm happy with its results. Oh and I use the S-Video in's and out's. I did a comparison of S-Vid. vs. rca and the S-Video won hands down.
post #15 of 189 Old 08-26-2005, 08:11 AM

I got one from circuit city.
I tried using it to back up some boguth vhs to dvds. Most of the vhs tapes are several yrs old also.
Both during the showing and on the dvd after capturing the top of the screen flashed green on and off throughout the movie. Not a bright green but a green color flash.
I tried couple of vhs tapes and did same thing.
Put the vhs tapes into the vcr thru my dvd xpress and caputred to the computer and no green flashes.
Sima told me to meausre the voltage at the tip and see if I was getting 12v. I was getting 11v and told me to send it in. I just returned it to circuit city.
Gonna try a vidicraft detailer II off ebay now.
post #16 of 189 Old 08-26-2005, 11:08 PM

For whatever reason I've heard people complain about green/black bars when using the ct-2. It must be hit or miss with the ct-2. More hit then miss however. I don't think I've heard as many complaints about the ct-200. I believe the ct-200 is a later model and besides the couple extra external features it has over the ct-2 maybe they got out the kinks some of the ct-2's had internally. The ct-200 seems to cost a-lot more than the ct-2 everywhere I look though. They both have there positives and negatives. The ct-2 may give you crappppy copies and the ct-200 will cost you a-lot more.
post #17 of 189 Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ct-200 will cost you a-lot more.

Not if you get it at CompUSA by today for $69 ($49 after rebate). I really can't find CT-2's around any more. Seems like all the retailers are only stocking CT-200's now.

post #18 of 189 Old 08-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

That's where I got mine. Haven't hooked it up yet. Have'nt even tried the AVT 8710 for enhancing video transfers to my Sharp DVDR standalone. Too busy getting the house ready for sale. Also want to put in a separate a battery backup, voltage regulator and overload protector. Another $75.00 cost. That's in addition to upgrading my cables. This hobby is getting expensive. Ultimately want to transfer 55 home movies on VHS or 8MM to DVD.
post #19 of 189 Old 08-27-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoMP5 View Post

For whatever reason I've heard people complain about green/black bars when using the ct-2. It must be hit or miss with the ct-2. More hit then miss however. I don't think I've heard as many complaints about the ct-200. I believe the ct-200 is a later model and besides the couple extra external features it has over the ct-2 maybe they got out the kinks some of the ct-2's had internally. The ct-200 seems to cost a-lot more than the ct-2 everywhere I look though. They both have there positives and negatives. The ct-2 may give you crappppy copies and the ct-200 will cost you a-lot more.

I had the CT-2 and returned it and now have the Ct-200. IMO, both are garbage and clones. The 200 now has auto shut off/turn on, that's the only difference. They both have the black level bug and add distortion. On the normal setting, they leave a vertical transparent bar on the left side of the screen which is about 1/15th wide of the entire width of the TV. Using dark uses some type of processing that messes with the quality and now makes blacks green.

It's there for low quality backups only. I would never use it unless I really had to. Once again, both are GARBAGE.

Have a good one.
post #20 of 189 Old 08-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

Not if you get it at CompUSA by today for $69 ($49 after rebate). I really can't find CT-2's around any more. Seems like all the retailers are only stocking CT-200's now.

Thanks for the heads up. I already got gouged at BB for a price I'm ashamed to admit however. I had just missed the sale at Circuit City last june-july (somewhere in there) where I think it was $99 plus a $45 rebate. Then everywhere I looked it was around 120.00. However I feel like I got the only decent 200 out there. I have made 50+ copies from vhs to dvd or dvd to dvd. At best the COPIES are better then the originals. (especially the vhs dubs) However the worst copies don't have any black/green problems or any lines anywhere whatsoever. Mine cost 125.00 but it works flawlessly. If it performed like some of the above reports I'd return it w/o a doubt.
post #21 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Sima got a bad batch of parts or electrical adapters or they found & fixed the problems?

My daughter never saw any problems with her Sima CT-2 & she & her friends were looking for "Any Problems" when she checked her Sima copy of Shreck II & her original copy of Shreck II on a 100 ft screen & I would think that any problems would show up on a screen that large even if you wern't looking for anything.

As for the clear line in the picture that sounds more like RF Interfearence getting into that setup or the Sima itself (Faulty Parts?) somehow.

So for anyone that might need a digital filter I would say to give EITHER Sima model a shot & buy which everone you can find at the the cheapest price but just make sure you can return it if your not happy with it.
post #22 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

100 ft screen

Huh?! Do you mean 100"?

post #23 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, A 100 Ft sounds wayyyyyy too big

I'll have to ask her but I do know that the HT holds well over 50 people & was designed & installed by pros & to her boss money is no object so I'm sure the screen is huge. I do know the remote control for the system did cost well over $10,000 alone so were talking about a first class system & the best that money can buy.

But the point was that nobody saw anything wrong with the Sima dvd copy? & I can't believe everybody would miss problems comparing the original & the copy on a big screen.

But I just thought of this & the next thing I think I will have her check on just to make sure is that there isn't some sort of High End Video Prosessor or something in his system that might be detecting picture flaws & then correcting them?

But in any case she also saw no problems on any other setup's that she tried the copy on. Again, I would give either Sima a shot & you decide for yourself if you can live with it or not just make sure you can take it back.

Just to note that she recorded the Sima copy of Shreck II by using a Proscan player 8680Z & a Panasonic recorder E-55 on a Maxwell DVD-R 4X using the S-Video connection.
post #24 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

With that big of screen I think I'd want to have an original copy of the DVD. Even the best DVD recorders are not going to give you a copy as good as the original since DVD-Rs hold only about half as much as a store bought DVD.
post #25 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

With all that sophisticated equipment, I wonder why playing a copy is even necessary (where's the original?). Also, I don't understand why an analog dub would be sufficient for such a crowd. Seems to me a PC based duplicate backup copy is in order if for nothing else to be able to enjoy the orignal Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (who wants to hear DD 2.0 audio in a HT setup with a $10,000 remote and 100 ft. screen > the whole thing just seems odd and doesn't add up.)

post #26 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

What I was talking about was a copy of Shreck II that my daughter had made using the Sima CT-2 that she had made on her own set up & after she had played it back & din't see any problems with it she then tested the copy on her laptop & her car dvd player & later she went & tested it out on a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE'S SETS including the one at her Boss's house & he is the one that has the BIG SCREEN HOME THEATER SET UP NOT HER.

She did say there was a difference in picture sharpness between the original & the Sima Copy but that was the only real difference between the original & the copy & there was no Green Tint, Stary Lines or any other of the reported problems that the Sima is supossed to have? & that was especially what they were looking for when they tested the Sima Shreck II Copy on the Big Projector.

All I can say is her Sima CT-2 seems to work fine after testing DVDs made with it from a 7" Car TV to a Big Front Home Theater Projection TV System.
post #27 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Bill1313, I didn't understand the whole back story. I'm glad the Shrek 2 backup disc is getting to be played at everyone's house, I'm sure Dreamworks is pleased. I like the CT-2 as well. Take care.

post #28 of 189 Old 08-28-2005, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Dreamworks should be thrilled because it was like her showing everyone a preview of Shreck II & now if you want to see the whole movie go buy your own copy
post #29 of 189 Old 08-29-2005, 05:05 PM

same boat as your daughter Bill1313. No prob's whatsoever on 50+ recordings. (vhs to dvd dvd to dvd) I got jacked and paid for the 200 model however. I think your on to something about some individual units having faulty hardware, etc. If some work and some don't it's the unit you'd tend to think. I'm just glad mine gives me good quality recordings. (use s-video ins and outs.)
post #30 of 189 Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

I found the CT-2 could not remove Macro flashing from some older CBS-FOX vhs tapes. It handled other Macro protected tapes ok. I would guess the logic circuit the VBI cleaning is the same in the CT-200. It just has more video enhancement modes.

I have seen enough to know I have seen too much. (A League of Their Own)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page