post #361 of 859 Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

I'm still intrigued, however, with the possibility that the Gemstar channel data they send to a station, with no outside input or control, could be somewhat or totally "articificial" with respect to the "situation on the ground," so to speak.

What if Gemstar data is what they think my situation "should be" at my Zip Code, so the TVGOS interface shows me that GEMSTAR-generated layout (station IDs and all), but my local cable co. is actually delivering me a DIFFERENT station's signal "because there's no diff." in the program content here in Alabama? (There really isn't...all "local" content is State-related, not area-related.) No brickbats please: Disclaimer: this is NOT the case everywhere, right?

It's certainly possible for Gemstar to get it's channel lineups mixed up or out of date with local conditions. For example, our local cable provider recently switched analogue channel 46 from HGTV to TCM. (They may have moved HGTV somewhere else on the dial, but I haven't followed that). Somewhere along the line Gemstar has to be told about this change so that it can broadcast the appropriate EPG data for our zip/postal code area. I can imagine a zillion ways that this could get screwed up.

As it turns out, right now my EPG (when it works) shows data for HGTV and for TCM, both on channel 46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

OK, now we're getting somewhere...actually, I am anyway, not sure if anyone else can learn anything from this.

I guess I can assume that my cable co. is not "fooling" me with WAIQ's call sign as my "designated" (ON) channel for PBS. A 150-mile OTA signal is probably do-able.

I only have one PBS channel in my "Basic Cable" pkg. In my OFF channels, I have three other PBS stations, WBIQ, WCIQ, WHIQ. Those are the ones I've been "replacing" WAIQ with (when it had an antenna fire) and finding some difference in TVGOS perf.

When you say that you have only 1 PBS station in your cable pkg, which of the 4 you mentioned is the cable-provided PBS station?

Quote:

Are your 4 PBS stations all ON "naturally," i.e., delivered as normal channels in your cable pkg? Of course, in your case, PBS is not your TVGOS station, so I guess we're comparing apples and oranges?

Yes, the 4 PBS stations are all included with my cable subscription. Curious, though, that none of them are my TVGOS host station.

Quote:

I'm still intrigued, however, with the possibility that the Gemstar channel data they send to a station, with no outside input or control, could be somewhat "artificial" or not "current" with respect to the "situation on the ground," so to speak.

What if Gemstar data is what they think my situation "should be" at my Zip Code, so the TVGOS interface shows me that GEMSTAR-generated layout (station IDs and all), but my local cable co. is actually delivering me a DIFFERENT station's signal? Why? Because the cable co. "made a recent change," or "there's no diff." in the program content from multiple stations," etc....there could be many reasons.

It is quite possible, as Sean says below, that the TVGOS data for your zipcode may be incorrect.

Quote:

What diff. would this make? Well, maybe I shouldn't be checking on WAIQ's encoder, but WBIQ's or WHIQ's. If the engrg supv tells me WAIQ's encoder is OK, will I be left with an erroneous conclusion that I have some OTHER problem instead of JUST THE WRONG STATION!?

I really need to find out if I AM receiving an OTA signal from 150 miles away! If not, it's only Gemstar's "assumption" that my Host should be WAIQ. Wow!

Here's where I get a little confused. I assume that you are basing your assumption that WAIQ is your TVGOS host station because the channel number that is displayed in the TVGOS debug screen matches the channel on which you receive WAIQ, correct? Why are you unsure of which PBS channel you are receiving on your cable system? When you watch the programs, which call letters are displayed, and on which channel does the station appear?

Quote:

Sorry! My mind has gone to a far galaxy at warp speed now, so I better stop. (Everyone breathes a "sighlight" of relief.)

So now, assuming that idea is "hairbrained," we could be down to this: if Gemstar isn't "spot on" (as they like to say at the Empress Hotel in that outpost called Victoria) ALL...THE...TIME, we WILL inevitably have good and bad days with our TVGOS. Even the stations won't know something is wrong unless viewers let them know. Gemstar apparently doesn't want the stations to get involved via real-time monitoring or, God forbid, data repair!?

Gemstar has our sanity in their hands? What an insane position!

Unless the TVGOS is run by different groups over different parts of the country (countries?), I don't think that the EPG is that unreliable. Why, because I have had no such variability in service since I began using the TVGOS last summer. If it is reliable for me, then it should be reliable over the whole system. I suppose, however, that there could be "local pockets" of instability caused by malfunctioning equipment, or local changes in cable line-ups.

Very good discussion.

RG
post #363 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

When you say that you have only 1 PBS station in your cable pkg, which of the 4 you mentioned is the cable-provided PBS station?

I have only one PBS CHANNEL, and the station ID for the one that is auotmatically ON is WAIQ.
Quote:

Here's where I get a little confused. I assume that you are basing your assumption that WAIQ is your TVGOS host station because the channel number that is displayed in the TVGOS debug screen matches the channel on which you receive WAIQ, correct? Why are you unsure of which PBS channel you are receiving on your cable system? When you watch the programs, which call letters are displayed, and on which channel does the station appear?

My State, Alabama, has a PBS/PTV "network" of 9 stations, all under the "wing" of Alabama PTV (APTV), with a Network Ops Ctr (NOC). At least 26 other states copied this NOC plan. When we watch a PBS STATION in any part of our state, we all see the same programming...local content is Alabama-related...unless you're near our state border where a cable co. might choose to add a PBS station from a neighboring state, so they may see different content if they watch that channel, e.g., people in Wyoming have only one State PBS station, but they're served by stations from five other states, so their programming can easily be different.

I don't have any PBS stations from another state 'cause I'm not close to our state's border.

With this arrangement, MY single PBS channel doesn't display any station call signs in their video...only the APTV or PBS logo

I'm still not absolutely convinced I'm receiving the station (WAIQ) my Channel display list shows only because even the PBS engr was baffled by why they are sending me the signal from a station 3x farther away than they have to. If I can find out, somewhow, that I am NOT actually receiving that far-away station, even tho' Gemstar tells me that's the station, then I'm going to that galaxy far away and try to get my sanity back...the ramifications are endless, I think. What if we're living in a world created by Gemstar when we're thinking it's a reality show?

Digressing some, sorry...AND if Gemstar is using tel. lines to send data, let me tell you my "real squirrel" story (not the nano-ones in my machine).

I use dial-up modem, getting 52K speed all the time...except when it rained. Depending on how much rain, my speed went to 36 or even 28.Called tel. guy and he finally found a junction box or lines that had been "CHEWED UP BY A SQUIRREL." His words, not mine...Honest to God.

Imagine the billions of miles of tel. line Gemstar is depending on and the number of squirrels, not to mention moles, dogs (without sleds), etc. that could affect our beloved TVGOS!!!!!!!!?????????

AND ANOTHER THING, how can Gemstar have a TVG CHANNEL that works flawlessly, and even has a clock, while they give US squirrels and moles, etc. Why don't they just add an interface that we can manipulate keyed to that channel, with its more reliable satellite upload/download, and bypass the squirrels!

WHile I'm on my soapbox, I am announcing my candidacy for the congress!
post #364 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Very funny....TVGOS and squirrels...

I guess the Alabama statewide PBS network explains why you don't know which of the satellite stations is actually providing the signal for the programs that you watch. I'm surprised that they can get away with not displaying the call letters for the broadcasting station...I thought that was an FCC thing...I guess not.

I can see why you don't know which PBS station the TVGOS EPG data is actually coming from. Here in the Philly area, the 4 PBS stations I receive on my cable are all independent, and there (as far as I know) is no PA statewide PBS network. In fact 1 of the PBS stations that I get comes from NJ.

Good luck in hunting down the solution to the GREAT TVGOS MYSTERY...

RG
post #365 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

This is a pretty common way to hook things up. Then just connect S-Video and audio from the Cable Box to the DVD Recorder.

But basically I already have it connected like that - I'm not using the RF out from the 533 to the cable box, but rather a unique RF connection from a splitter to each device. So there's no reason to change it. However, if I want the G-Link to work (in order to satisfy a domestic requirement) I have to tell the 533 that it has a cable box attached to it - once that happens it could care less what's coming in on the RF IN input.

- Doug
post #366 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

When I set up the Pioneer, I told it I had an antenna instead of a cable box, and I don't use the IR blaster. So the Pioneer never tries to control the cable box. When I turn the Pioneer off, it automatically scans and picks up the EPG data directly from the RF IN - this is completely transparent and not something you can see happening except from the "EPG" legend in the display.

When you tell the Pioneer you have the antenna connected, doesn't that limit the number of analog channels the Pioneer "looks at"?

Also, does anyone know if there is any way to "force" the 533 to "look" at one, single, unique channel for its EPG data?

- Doug
post #367 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here in the Philly area, the 4 PBS stations I receive on my cable are all independent, and there (as far as I know) is no PA statewide PBS network. In fact 1 of the PBS stations that I get comes from NJ.

For those who have PBS as their Host station, I found a good website for finding their "in-state" stations, and whether it's a network of stations or indiv. affiliates...if they're interested:
http://www.apts.org/getinvolved/Find...TV_Station.cfm

That site shows all the stations for each state on one page...loads very slowly with dialup since they post all station/network logos...and in it you can clearly see which states have a "NOC," or Network Ops Ctr, and which have individual affiliates.

The NOC states have only one entry, usually being ID'd as a "Network," while separate-affiliate states have a number of stations listed separately. I counted about 28-29 NOC states.

Both California and Pennsylvania (mentioned in this thread by others) are states that have individual affiliates.

You'll still need the PBS station finder website at
http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html
to see ALL the PBS stations that serve your area..it's zip-code-specific.

rgazzara: do you suppose your Host is NOT PBS is because you're OTA, or just because you're Panasonic? Could be another piece of this "reverse-engineering" puzzle...which we COULD all stop, but there might be a "spark" in it that could enlighten us all as to the reality/fiction show called Gemstar, which seems to be the "keystone" of our TVGOS!? AND, if Gemstar refuses to share with or get its delivering stations involved, OUR odds of getting info or help from them is likely to be 0-to-the-minus-ninth-power.
post #368 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bowles View Post

But basically I already have it connected like that - I'm not using the RF out from the 533 to the cable box, but rather a unique RF connection from a splitter to each device. So there's no reason to change it. However, if I want the G-Link to work (in order to satisfy a domestic requirement) I have to tell the 533 that it has a cable box attached to it - once that happens it could care less what's coming in on the RF IN input.

- Doug

I understand now. You are asking the same question as in this Topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638662

Unfortunately we found out there that it can't be done. The 533 wants to either tune everything from RF, or tune everything through Cable Box, it can't mix them. "Domestic requirements" notwithstanding, I'd go with the RF, and manually tune anything I wanted to record from Cable Box. That leaves more options open in terms of recording one thing and watching another.
post #369 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Wab,

Well, I think I jinxed my set. I lost the TVGOS yesterday, sometime between 11:00am and 4:00 pm.

In any event, I went into set up, changed my sip to another in same town and waited overnight. This morning still no channel line-up, so I went in and reset the TVGOS only using the codes for TVGOS reset. It kept my schedule, although they are all greyed out now.

While doint this I went ahead and switched my cables between the TV and the 531. I found out that the coax that was feeding my tv, actually was routed through a VCR. the One to the 531 was direct from splitter to pio RF in. I switched them anyway.

By the way the TVGOS on the TV did not go out, only the on PIO 531 TVGOS.

I'll post the progress.

Didn't someone in here have multiple 531's hooked up? What is there experience with losing the EPG? do both lose it at same time?

Rick
post #370 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

rgazzara,

Here's a post from another thread, which you may already have read. but others may also find interesting, "suggesting" that cable (me) and OTA (you) signals may be somewhow "different" in the TVGOS world. (See esp. red text...maybe why you haven't seen the turmoil the cable users have???)

Originally Posted by TorontoJack
Here's an email reply from Panasonic Canada regarding the issue:

Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised that the TV Guide on Screen is currently down in the greater Toronto area. The Gemstar engineers and Rogers are currently working on correcting the problem and anticipate that it may take up to a few weeks before the situation is resolved. Your patience is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Customer Care Centre
Panasonic Canada Inc.

A few more weeks... bleghhh.... no mention of why the OTA listings are still coming in fine. Not much need to contact Rogers now either I guess, as Panasonic has confirmed that they are working on it with Gemstar.
post #371 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

Wab,

Well, I think I jinxed my set. I lost the TVGOS yesterday, sometime between 11:00am and 4:00 pm.

In any event, I went into set up, changed my sip to another in same town and waited overnight. This morning still no channel line-up, so I went in and reset the TVGOS only using the codes for TVGOS reset. It kept my schedule, although they are all greyed out now.

While doint this I went ahead and switched my cables between the TV and the 531. I found out that the coax that was feeding my tv, actually was routed through a VCR. the One to the 531 was direct from splitter to pio RF in. I switched them anyway.

By the way the TVGOS on the TV did not go out, only the on PIO 531 TVGOS.

I'll post the progress.

Didn't someone in here have multiple 531's hooked up? What is there experience with losing the EPG? do both lose it at same time?

Rick

Too bad you didn't also "re-enter and toggle" all the TVG SETUP options this am to test that "theory." (Maybe you did but just didn't mention it?)

There is also the poss. that the TV gets its TVGOS data from a diff. Host CHANNEL and STATION than the Pio (which is "probably" a PBS channel/station). Any way to see what the Host ch/sta is for the TV...and what is your Host ch/sta for the Pio?

You're narrowing your search for a solution down now, and the Station info might be an important key (e.g.., one station with a Gemstar encoder problem and not in the other...seems to happen "often" enough to be noticeable?

Since stations can't tell, in real time, when the Gemstar encoder is bad (no coop. from Gemstar), viewer complaints seem to be the only way stations are prompted to "check" them.
post #372 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

rgazzara,

Here's a post from another thread, which you may already have read. but others may also find interesting, "suggesting" that cable (me) and OTA (you) signals may be somewhow "different" in the TVGOS world. (See esp. red text...maybe why you haven't seen the turmoil the cable users have???)

Yes, I saw the posts. But you are mistaken that I get my signal OTA. I get it from Comcast cable in the Philly area. I have a cable box for the digital channels, but I have my system setup so that the recorder uses a direct RF input for the TVGOS-based recordings. The digital channels get recorded via the a/v cable input and manual timer settings.

Maybe you are confusing me with someone else...?

RG
post #373 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Maybe you are confusing me with someone else...?

Oops! Now I see it's only because you often advize others to check their TVGOS using an OTA antenna.
post #374 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the info in this post.

I have a 531 from WalMart and have had similar issues. Here is my story.

I bought the unit on 12/27 and the TVGOS worked fine until 1/13 and started losing listings a day at a time until they were all gone. I tried the factory reset method and no good.

I contacted Pioneer tech support on 1/20 and was given a case number and told that Pioneer would get back to me. On 1/24, I called them back and was told that my case was closed and was being worked by Gemstar and that Gemstar would call me, they never did.

On 1/26, I contacted our local host channel 12 KBMT and talked with the engineer. He told me the Gemstar unit consist of only single rack unit with a power cord, phone line in, and an inserter line out. It has nothing on it to tell him that it is working or not. I gave him the Gemstar support number from this forum to try for help.

On 1/27, Pioneer left me a message that an equipment problem had been identified in my area and that I needed to do a factory reset per the manual. Well, this is one of the things that I had tried, but I did it again for grins. No good.

On 1/31, I called Pioneer tech support again, gave them the case number. This time he said I needed to do a TVGOS reset, not a unit reset. I thought I had done this but I had the wrong code somehow.

So I entered the right code, and the unit seems to be gathering data. In about two hours, I had channels in the guide. This morning, I could hear it chattering away again, something it hadn't been doing since I lost listings. So my fingers are crossed for good results tonight.

Thanks again.

BTW, the instructions that I have for the TVGOS reset are:
Press the TVGUIDE button on the remote
Arrow left to SETUP
Arrow down once (do not press enter)
Enter 753159852 (gray screens appear)
Enter 653274147 (I think the unit turned off and back on)
I then re-entered the setup information for TVGOS, even though it was still there.
post #375 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Too bad you didn't also "re-enter and toggle" all the TVG SETUP options this am to test that "theory." (Maybe you did but just didn't mention it?)

There is also the poss. that the TV gets its TVGOS data from a diff. Host CHANNEL and STATION than the Pio (which is "probably" a PBS channel/station). Any way to see what the Host ch/sta is for the TV...and what is your Host ch/sta for the Pio?

You're narrowing your search for a solution down now, and the Station info might be an important key (e.g.., one station with a Gemstar encoder problem and not in the other...seems to happen "often" enough to be noticeable?

Since stations can't tell, in real time, when the Gemstar encoder is bad (no coop. from Gemstar), viewer complaints seem to be the only way stations are prompted to "check" them.

I went through all the TVGOS setup options on the PIO. not sure if I toggled them or not. My pio host channel is our local PBS station. I can't get into the setup on the Toshiba tv using the TVGOS code that works on Pioneer, but I'm pretty confidant that it's the same host channel, I only have the one PBS station in my area.

I'm also confidant that this isn't a problem with the TVGOS broadcast signal, it's a problem with the way this system has been integrated into the DVD recorder. I also notice that the Guide in the TV works slightly different than what is in my Pio. In the Pio, when I'm in a TVGOS listing and press a number key, I get a menu on left that let's me choose to move forward or backward that many hours or tune to that channel. When I do this on tv, it simply tunes to that channel. So the guide is implemented slightly different.

In any event, I'm tyring to leave the Pio turned off until later hopign that I get some channel data. I have some recordings scheduled, but after the reset, I see that while they're still listed, they are now grayed out, which I think means that TVGOS can't find them. I suspect they won't record tonight, so I need to watch and see what happens.

I sure hope all of this talk about this being a Gemstar problem doesn't give Pioneer the idean that they've gotten off the hook. It is still their problem, not Gemstars.

Rick
post #376 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

When you tell the Pioneer you have the antenna connected, doesn't that limit the number of analog channels the Pioneer "looks at"?

No. The Pioneer can tune to any analogue channel that is receivable via the RF cable connection. When you do the initial setup it scans all the channels to see which are tunable (ie, which one have an actual signal on them).

Note that the tunable channels and the initial scan that determines them have nothing whatsoever to do with the EPG except that, if the only available EPG data is a channel that is not tunable (for example, it's signal was so weak that the initial scan didn't count it as a valid channel), then you won't be able to receive the EPG data. But if this is the case you're still able to manually change the tunable channel list, if needed (via "Home Menu" button -> "Initial Setup" -> "Tuner" -> "Manual CH Setting")

Once the initial setup is completed, the EPG then does it's own scan using the tunable channels to find one which carries EPG data for the zip/postal code you entered. From this data it builds the channel lineup you see when you go into the EPG screens. You can edit the EPG channel lineup (via "TV Guide" button -> "Setup" -> "Change Channel Display"), but that does not affect the basic tunable channel list.
post #377 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsg_iii View Post

On 1/26, I contacted our local host channel 12 KBMT...

Very interesting! I believe you're the first PIONEER user to post here that has confirmed that he/she has a COMMERCIAL station (KBMT), not PBS/PTV/EDU, as the Host for TVGOS.

It would be nice to know how that works...let us know if it flakes out? (Of course, check the Gemstar genie at KBMT first!)

Strange that several things happened around mid-Jan:
Your TVGOS flaked out.
Mine got flaky.
Toronto lost theirs!
AND
The TVG Channel (another Gemstar "product") changed its format! (Hmmm!)
post #378 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My pio host channel is our local PBS station. I can't get into the setup on the Toshiba tv using the TVGOS code that works on Pioneer, but I'm pretty confidant that it's the same host channel, I only have the one PBS station in my area.

Try the re-entry and toggle thing if you get another chance. (Select "My system settings are wrong" or whatever that 3rd choice says.)

Also, don't be confident that the TOSHIBA's Host is PBS...rgazzara's Host is a Commercial (ABC or CBS) station for his PANASONICS. It really would be nice to know for sure, since you really do have a unique system for troubleshooting purposes.
post #379 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM

I tried the "toggle everything" trick, and now I have guide info.
Maybe my scarifice to the squirrel gods helped...

Brian
post #380 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Very interesting! I believe you're the first PIONEER user to post here that has confirmed that he/she has a COMMERCIAL station (KBMT), not PBS/PTV/EDU, as the Host for TVGOS.

We don't have a tunable PBS channel here. We are 90 miles from Houston and 60 miles from Lake Charles, LA.
post #381 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Not true Clifford! In Victoria we verified that CBC (national network) provided original TVGOS. When this lapsed for about a month and we were without TVGOS data it was eventually replaced with CTV, one of the other national networks in Can.

Quote:

Strange that several things happened around mid-Jan:
Your TVGOS flaked out.
Mine got flaky.
Toronto lost theirs!
AND
The TVG Channel (another Gemstar "product") changed its format! (Hmmm!)

Funny, mid january was the time up here that all things seemed to sort themselves out. I believe that a conservation principle is at work here: Conservation of misery!
post #382 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Got home and confirmed listings are back!

Thanks again for the help.
post #383 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops! Now I see it's only because you often advize others to check their TVGOS using an OTA antenna.

Yes...

RG
post #384 of 859 Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedmack View Post

Not true Clifford!

I KNEW I could smoke you out by leaving out "in the U.S."!!!
post #385 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 10:03 AM

First I'd like to thank the helpful people in the forum who have helped me out with advice and general knowledge - treedmack, wabjaxo, Sean Nelson...sorry if I missed anyone.

I have altered my basic connections to what is referred around here as "standard": cable out of the wall into my 533 RF IN, RF OUT to my cable box, and a second RF connection straight to my television for some limited PIP capability. In order to be able to record my digital cable channels I have returned a video signal back to the recorder via an S-video cable (the only way I can) and RCA audio cables.

My software setup is identical to Sean's with one exception - rather than telling the 533 that the RF IN was an antenna, I told it it was a cable connection, but also said that it was not a cable box. I have eliminated the use of the G-link cable. It is in the process of trying to download the TVGOS data - I'll let you know how that turns out. To record digital channels I have to set both the cable box AND the recorder, but that's a small inconvenience (to me, anyway). My domestic equivalent is still having some trouble, and is royally pissed that the HD content is copy-protected (she wanted to "tape" The Biggest Loser and American Idiot...sorry...Idol).

- Doug
post #386 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats. I think you made the right choice. That's the way I have my Panasonic set up.

RG
post #387 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My domestic equivalent is still having some trouble, and is royally pissed that the HD content is copy-protected...- Doug

On that subject, I remember a post somewhere in this forum about a way to copy you-know-what...I tried to find it but couldn't.

It involved setting a TIMER REC program and either playing the source or just letting the TIMER REC program start when the OTA program began???

I tried the former, played a movie, but it immediately showed "Can't Copy" or some such and the TIMER prog. never started, just kept flashing. BUT THEN, I played the source from a separate unit (VCR)...maybe I should have played from the DVR itself (from DVD > HDD)?

The poster claimed something TIMED worked for him, so maybe it involves a broadcast rather than a disc, playing from DVD > HDD same unit, ???

I'm still curious and wish I could find that post again.
post #388 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try the re-entry and toggle thing if you get another chance. (Select "My system settings are wrong" or whatever that 3rd choice says.)

Also, don't be confident that the TOSHIBA's Host is PBS...rgazzara's Host is a Commercial (ABC or CBS) station for his PANASONICS. It really would be nice to know for sure, since you really do have a unique system for troubleshooting purposes.

Wab,

I'm not sure why Gemstar would contract with two different providers in this market to provide TVGOS data.

I hope more people keep bugging Pioneer about this, rather than hoping some change in the way Gemstar is doing things. As I keep repeating, this is problem with the implementation of TVGOS in the DVD recorders that needs to be fixed. i.e. Pioneer.

I did get into my Toshiba TV set TVGOS diagnostics, but the HOST Channel wasn't listed, at least not in decimal form. I think it showed OxC and the host channel.

Rick
post #389 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I did get into my Toshiba TV set TVGOS diagnostics, but the HOST Channel wasn't listed, at least not in decimal form. I think it showed OxC and the host channel.

Darn, sure wish it would have be decipherable!

Anyone have a clue what the "OxC" might be?
post #390 of 859 Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it is hexadecimal for 12 in many computer programming languages. Assuming that first character is a zero and not the letter 'O'.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page