Pioneer Disappearing EPG - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 859 Old 02-10-2006, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called Pioneer customer service this afternoon, and they said that the problem of Comcast not carrying the EPG data in the Atlanta area is a known problem, and that TV Guide and Comcast are working on a solution. No estimate on when or if the problem will be fixed, but the Pioneer service technician sounded hopeful - like this was a temporary problem.

- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 859 Old 02-12-2006, 06:22 AM

My EPG is working fine now (knock on wood). Perhaps the cause of the problems is many: TVGOS software glitches, contracts with cable companies, host channels, etc. I do give it a ton of time to download, although I don't think it really matters if it gets interrupted. I already had a cheap dvd player, so I do most of my viewing on that, freeing up the recorder for downloading.

But, a couple of times in the past two weeks, I've noticed that the panel display says "Timer Ready" and then nothing happens. The scheduled shows don't get recorded. If I turn the dvr off and then on and then go to standby, it starts recording the scheduled shows again.

Someone mentioned this in passing awhile back, but I never saw a response. Are other people having this issue or can someone direct to me the appropriate thread?

Thanks for any help or direction on this. I'm just worried that it will happen while I'm out of town and a whole week's worth of scheduled programs will not be recorded.

- burnspc
post #453 of 859 Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnspc View Post

a couple of times in the past two weeks, I've noticed that the panel display says "Timer Ready" and then nothing happens. The scheduled shows don't get recorded. If I turn the dvr off and then on and then go to standby, it starts recording the scheduled shows again.

Could it be that you were watching something thru the DVR and it was on a different channel from the scheduled recording...where it would normally put up a dialog telling you it needed to change channels to record, etc..???

At least that's ONE "normal" situation where it might not start a timer rec program except after you turned it off then on (i.e., didn't respond to the dialog or accidentally pressed Enter while it was on the don't record option)???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #454 of 859 Old 02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sderby View Post

No, it uses the ZIP code to define your channel lineup whether you get the signal OTA or via cable. It gets the same lineup, it just turns on different channels by default. (Go into the channel editor and you'll still see all of the cable channels even if you got the TVGOS data OTA). This also guarantees that you can still pull guide data even if the cable company is doing ADS or is digital-only. (You can pull the data OTA, then use those guide listings for the cable input.)

OK, an update on this issue for those who are interested.

sderby's statement above is true at least for Panasonic DVD recorders that use the TVGOS EPG. I have run a little test on the difference between downloading EPG data using an OTA connection versus a direct analog RF cable connection.

I receive my cable service in the Philly area from Comcast and although I subscribe to digital service, I have the analog RF connected directly to my Panasonic E-500 and E-65 DVD recorders. Although many here have stated that they receive their EPG data (host channel) from a non-commercial PBS station, I have two commercial TVGOS host channels, the ABC station (WPVI) and CBS station (KYW) in town. This was established by identifying the host channel on the diagnostics screen. The actual host channel used by the EPG alternates between the ABC and CBS stations. The channel list downloaded by the EPG lists all the analog channels as well as digital channels available on my Comcast cable service, and some channels (mainly New York City channels) that I do not receive. So in this case, sderby is correct, although I have the TVGOS EPG setup with no cable box, the digital channels are included in the download.

I decided to test whether the TVGOS EPG behaves the same if the signal was received OTA. So I disconnected my E-65 from the cable, connected a rabbit ears, and reset the TVGOS EPG to OTA (no cable). I did a reset, and so the clock showed a flashing 12:00 indicating that I had reset the TVGOS. Within 10 min, the clock was reset to the correct time.

After 48 hrs, I decided to check the TVGOS. What I discovered was very surprising. I expected the EPG to download only the OTA channels in the Philly area. What I found was that all the OTA channels in Philly and New York City were listed as well as some from other Pennsylvania cities such as Lancaster. This was surprising because without some sort of super antenna with an amplifier, the stations in NYC (90 miles away) cannot be received from my location. However, what sderby states is true, many cable channels were listed. I did not count them, but it appears that all the analog channels were there as well as some digital channels. According to the diagnostic screen, the host channel was KYW (OTA channel 3).

Therefore, at least on the Panasonic models, you can use TVGOS EPG downloaded OTA as a substitute for the EPG downloaded via cable. It will continue to download the EPG if the cable service temporarily goes down. However, in order to use the EPG to record analog cable channels, you must have it connected to the analog RF cable input.

RG
post #455 of 859 Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

What I found was that all the OTA channels in Philly and New York City were listed as well as some from other Pennsylvania cities such as Lancaster. This was surprising because without some sort of super antenna with an amplifier, the stations in NYC (90 miles away) cannot be received from my location.

Great test!

Question: what channels showed as turned ON? Were the NY 90-mile-away stations/channels ON even tho' you can't receive them OTA?

|
|
|
post #456 of 859 Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Great test!

Question: what channels showed as turned ON? Were the NY 90-mile-away stations/channels ON even tho' you can't receive them OTA?

Yes, strangely, all the NYC OTA channels and the other PA OTA channels were turned on. The cable channels, both analog and digital, were turned off, but appeared when I did a "change channels listed".

I'm guessing that since the Philly OTA channels can be received over a wide area, the TVGOS people decided to include the "fringe" OTA channels that some people who are on the periphery of the Philly broadcast area might be able to receive with a really good antenna. That would be Lancaster, PA towards the west, and the NYC OTA channels towards the north/northeast.

This suggests that perhaps in my area for OTA download of the TVGOS EPG, the zipcode does not really matter. One thing I still have to check is if the cable stations are listed on the correct channel for my Comcast service.

RG
post #457 of 859 Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

OK, an update on this issue for those who are interested.

sderby's statement above is true at least for Panasonic DVD recorders that use the TVGOS EPG. I have run a little test on the difference between downloading EPG data using an OTA connection versus a direct analog RF cable connection.

I receive my cable service in the Philly area from Comcast and although I subscribe to digital service, I have the analog RF connected directly to my Panasonic E-500 and E-65 DVD recorders. Although many here have stated that they receive their EPG data (host channel) from a non-commercial PBS station, I have two commercial TVGOS host channels, the ABC station (WPVI) and CBS station (KYW) in town. This was established by identifying the host channel on the diagnostics screen. The actual host channel used by the EPG alternates between the ABC and CBS stations. The channel list downloaded by the EPG lists all the analog channels as well as digital channels available on my Comcast cable service, and some channels (mainly New York City channels) that I do not receive. So in this case, sderby is correct, although I have the TVGOS EPG setup with no cable box, the digital channels are included in the download.

I decided to test whether the TVGOS EPG behaves the same if the signal was received OTA. So I disconnected my E-65 from the cable, connected a rabbit ears, and reset the TVGOS EPG to OTA (no cable). I did a reset, and so the clock showed a flashing 12:00 indicating that I had reset the TVGOS. Within 10 min, the clock was reset to the correct time.

After 48 hrs, I decided to check the TVGOS. What I discovered was very surprising. I expected the EPG to download only the OTA channels in the Philly area. What I found was that all the OTA channels in Philly and New York City were listed as well as some from other Pennsylvania cities such as Lancaster. This was surprising because without some sort of super antenna with an amplifier, the stations in NYC (90 miles away) cannot be received from my location. However, what sderby states is true, many cable channels were listed. I did not count them, but it appears that all the analog channels were there as well as some digital channels. According to the diagnostic screen, the host channel was KYW (OTA channel 3).

Therefore, at least on the Panasonic models, you can use TVGOS EPG downloaded OTA as a substitute for the EPG downloaded via cable. It will continue to download the EPG if the cable service temporarily goes down. However, in order to use the EPG to record analog cable channels, you must have it connected to the analog RF cable input.

I'm sorry, I didnt realize this was an issue. I recieve my TVGOS via OTA antenna, and the downloaded listing do show the basic cable channels, but they are automatically turned off when they are downloaded. I also recieve listing from staions about 60 miles away, although I cant get any reception that far.

One of the interesting tidbits I found.

For some reason, WB is shown on both 32 and 5, same station, not an affiliate, something to do with broadcast antennas or something. In any event, the guide for channel 32 downloads fine. However No guide data appears for channel 5. This is also true for the TVGOS for my Tosh TV. So TVGOS simply doesnt have any guide data for Channel 5. Unfortuneatly, my reception of Channel 32 is really bad. So I went into the menu options for setting up the TVGOS screen, (same place you change order of stations), and told it to tune channel 5, whenever I selected channel 32 on the guide. It worked fine. I dont' actually use it a lot, since for that channel my Satellite reception, and I usually record using L1. But occasionally Im watching sattelite and use the DVR tuner.

Rick
post #458 of 859 Old 02-15-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, strangely, all the NYC OTA channels and the other PA OTA channels were turned on. The cable channels, both analog and digital, were turned off, but appeared when I did a "change channels listed".

I'm guessing that since the Philly OTA channels can be received over a wide area, the TVGOS people decided to include the "fringe" OTA channels that some people who are on the periphery of the Philly broadcast area might be able to receive with a really good antenna. That would be Lancaster, PA towards the west, and the NYC OTA channels towards the north/northeast.

This suggests that perhaps in my area for OTA download of the TVGOS EPG, the zipcode does not really matter. One thing I still have to check is if the cable stations are listed on the correct channel for my Comcast service.

One more update on my connection to TVGOS via OTA rabbit ears compared with connection via RF cable input.

As I mentioned previously, even with OTA connection the TVGOS listed analog cable channels. When I went back into the channel editor to turn on a couple of cable channels, I discovered that they are listed without channels numbers!! It would not let me turn on any of these channels without first entering a channel number. Very interesting. This means that the cable channels are included in some sort of default database listing that is downloaded regardless of how the TVGOS EPG data is accessed. Since I had specified OTA, it only automatically added the channel numbers for the OTA stations listed. Interestingly, it would only allow channel numbers from 2-69 to be entered. I'm not sure why that is. Don't OTA channel number go above 69? How high does UHF go?

I presume that when the recorder is connected via RF cable input, the same (if not more) cable channels would be downloaded, but since it is connected to the cable it can associate these channels with channel numbers. When it attempts to do this and encounters more than 1 channel number for a station/channel, it then knows there is more than 1 channel lineup in the area.

So, even though one might be tempted to use the OTA connection when cable service is down to maintain the TVGOS listings, I do not think it would work, as none of the cable channels would be associated with the correct channel numbers.

Next I will enter some channel numbers to see if the correct program info is downloaded.

Added in edit: I just answered my own question. In the early 1980s, the UHF channels 70-83 were reassigned to cell phone frequencies. Here's a link to the info: http://www.tvantenna.com/support/tutorials/uhf.html

RG
post #459 of 859 Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 PM
LDK

To Burnspc,

sorry its been a while since I've been here. I have had that probem about 5 times in the six months i've had the machine, where the timer ready freezes and just wipes out the scheduled list as the day passes each time slot.

Think this is just another flaw in Pioneers software. I find that it occurs when its recording back to back time slots.

Not that this helps, but you can press stop record button, to release the freeze.

I( don't have any solutions, other than sayiny your not alone, and pray this doesn't happen often.

Fortunately, ive only not been home on two occasions when this occured.

On another note, i used to be able to wait out the rebuilding stage, for 1 or 2 days. recently things are worse and i am resetting all the time.

Still waiting for an actual solution, and thanks for all the posts.

One day, hopefully one day, someone will say....

Here's what to do to fix the flaws, and we can all celebrate.

But I think I will have bought the next generation of recorder by that time. Hopfully my cable company will come out with a machine that records more than 50 hours, with a dvd player in it, so I can utilize the digital cable guide that downloads in seconds, not hours.

All the best, LDK
post #460 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I have a Pioneer 531 that suffers from the periodic loss of EPG data. I have had a reliable EPG for about 2 weeks now, which is the longest I have ever gone without getting the "rebuilding based on set up change" note.

Here is what I did after the last loss of EPG data:

1. I reset the TVGOS system using the numeric code available in this thread.

2. I immediately did a complete reset of the recorder, using the instructions contained in the Pioneer manual.

3. After the reset, I let the recorder scan for channels.

4. I immediately went into the channel editor and turned off one of the two PBS stations that are provided by my cable system. I get PBS on channels 12 and 13 on my cable system. Channel 13 was where the EPG diagnostic screens told me the guide info was coming from. I turned off channel 12 in the TV tuner.

5. I did the setup for the TVGOS and turned off the unit overnight. The next morning, I selected my cable provider from the list provided and the channel lineup appeared. I immediately edited the channel lineup in the EPG and turned off all channels that I would not record from. This included all news channels, weather, shopping, religion, foreign language, etc.

6. I plugged in the ir blaster that came with the recorder. I don't use it with my setup, and had never plugged it in. The EPG had problems since I got the recorder and never used the blaster. Maybe it had some impact (remote chance,I know).

The next day the programs started to populate the guide, as they always have. The difference, this time, is that once all 8 days were downloaded, the EPG continued to add new days without generating the rebuilding message.

I have no idea which of these changes affected the EPG, or if Gemstar issued something on their end that fixed things.

My guess is that the changes I made did one of two things:

1. Turning off the 2nd PBS station in the recorder's tuner eliminated the recorder somehow getting confused and looking for updates on different channels, or

2. Eliminating the unneeded channels in the EPG channel lineup reduced the amount of information the EPG system had to store and update on a daily basis. As I only experienced the problem once the entire 8 days was loaded into the guide, I'm guessing that some buffer got overrun with too much data. Reducing the number of channels seems to have put the data needed for continuous update within the limits of the recorder (buffer, memory, firmware?).

I did notice that functions like the search function only look for programs on channels that are turned on in the EPG, which seems to support the notion that the recorder is being asked to handle less data each time it is updated.

Every time I have reset the recorder, the EPG starts to populate the very next day, which leads me to conclude that the data is being transmitted reliably from my cable company.

I hope this is a long term solution to my EPG issues. This is the only real criticism I have had of the 531.

Hope this helps someone else with EPG related reliability problems.

Starting third week of perfect EPG reliability using this method.
post #461 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Starting third week of perfect EPG reliability using this method.

I implemented this solution starting last Saturday. The entire 8 days should be downloaded by tomorrow. I will then see how long it takes for it to bomb out on me. My only question is how many total channels do you have turned on? Also, I notice I have channels that are turned off in the guide but I'm still able to tune to when not in the TVGOS. Have you also noticed this?
post #462 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is what I did after the last loss of EPG data:

2. I immediately did a complete reset of the recorder, using the instructions contained in the Pioneer manual.

3. After the reset, I let the recorder scan for channels.

4. I immediately went into the channel editor and turned off one of the two PBS stations that are provided by my cable system. I get PBS on channels 12 and 13 on my cable system. Channel 13 was where the EPG diagnostic screens told me the guide info was coming from. I turned off channel 12 in the TV tuner.

5. I did the setup for the TVGOS and turned off the unit overnight. The next morning, I selected my cable provider from the list provided and the channel lineup appeared. I immediately edited the channel lineup in the EPG and turned off all channels that I would not record from. This included all news channels, weather, shopping, religion, foreign language, etc.

I find this very interesting because of the differences between the way the TVGOS is setup on the Pioneers and the Panasonics.

On my Panasonic E-65 or E-500 if I do what you did in #3 (scan for channels), a message will pop up saying that if the automatic channel selection (or some such wording) is performed the TVGOS will be disabled. In other words, Panasonic users cannot do #3 and still get the TVGOS EPG.

RG
post #463 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Aydu,

Other than being unreliable, the EPG is hated by some 531 users for wearing the HDD by being almost constantly on. I was curious, since you implemented your famous 6 steps method, how often is the EGP download working?
post #464 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

I implemented this solution starting last Saturday. The entire 8 days should be downloaded by tomorrow. I will then see how long it takes for it to bomb out on me. My only question is how many total channels do you have turned on? Also, I notice I have channels that are turned off in the guide but I'm still able to tune to when not in the TVGOS. Have you also noticed this?

I have 3 EPG screens worth of channels turned on. I'm not sure how many channels appear per screen but I know I have to scroll down 3 times to get to the last channel. I'd guess this is about 30 channels.

I don't normally use the recorder for regular viewing. I use the cable connected from the output of the recorder, which gives me the ability to set up the desired channels using the TV tuner. Here, I have everything active, except for the foreign language channels.

I have a harmony remote, so switching between the recorder and the tv is a one button deal.
post #465 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadfriend View Post

Aydu,

Other than being unreliable, the EPG is hated by some 531 users for wearing the HDD by being almost constantly on. I was curious, since you implemented your famous 6 steps method, how often is the EGP download working?

I used very similar steps to reset my PIO 531 after epg loss. Although I only have OTA reception on RF in. I run Dish receiver output to L! (with no EPG data). But I only have less than 10 channels turned on. It downloads quite a few, most of them are cable I think) and they are turned off by TVGOS. IT also downloads some OTA channels from town about 60 miles away, and turns them on, I go in and turn them off shortly after they appear.

My EPG stays illuminated on the PIO display most of the time. It does go away for short periods. Occcassionally I hear the hard disk drive, but it certainly isn't constant. From what I've read in various places, there are 3 different download cycles that are repeated 4 times a day. the three cycles run 3 hours plus 1.5 hours plus .5 hours if I recall. So thats 5 hour blocks, 4 times a day. thats 20 hours per day. I dont think there is actually activity for the much time. As i understand it, it only needs one of them a day. But i think it goes into the listening mode for each of the periods, and ignores the input if it already has it.

I'm not overly concerned with hard disk activity wearing out the hard disk, even at rate I mentioned, my computer hard disk probably runs as much. And in any case, it's probably better off running frequently than not running them trying to run up to speed.

Rick
post #466 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadfriend View Post

Aydu,

My EPG is off more than it ever was before I implemented my "fix". I'm not sure if this is due to fewer channels being updated, or the elimination of one of the two PBS stations.

I have found the EPG to be very reliable, except for programming that runs overtime - like football. Programs following these type of events will record based on the original EPG time, not when the program actually begins.

You can manually add time to programs like this, if you know there is a possibility of a game going past the scheduled time.

My hard drive does make noise while the EPG is present on the recorder. Having worked with computers for years, I don't have any concern about wearing out the hard drive before I would replace the recorder.

Computers with regular defragging of the drives last longer than the computer's usefulness. Every computer I've replaced worked fine, just got too old technology wise.

These DVD recorders record over a gig of info everytime a one hour recorder is made in SP (the default) mode. I don't think updating the EPG is going to create too much wear and tear.

I suspect I'll end up replacing my 531 in a few years due to a technology change (Blu Ray/HDDVD) HD recording capability, etc.
post #467 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:

My EPG is off more than it ever was before I implemented my "fix".

Great! But still, it it on 2 Hours/day, 8 Hours/day, 20 Hours/day? Actually, I'd be interested to know who has the least download time and still get reliable TVGOS.
post #468 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've never measured the EPG off or on time. Before my "fix" the recorder had the EPG on the display almost all the time. Since the fix it is off frequently.

The downside of the EPG being off is that it takes some boot up time when you power the unit up. When EPG is showing on the display, it powers up immediately.
post #469 of 859 Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Computers with regular defragging of the drives last longer than the computer's usefulness.

Just to nip any possible misconceptions in the bud... defragmenting a disk drive can improve the performance of the drive (if it had lots of fragmented files or freespace) but should have negligible effect on reliability. The only real reliability issue would be if the software couldn't handle a very badly fragmented file structure (due to bugs or insufficient memory to keep track of linked file pointers), or if the performance became so poor (due to the drive constantly having to move the heads back and forth) that the drive couldn't accept or deliver data quickly enough for smooth recording or playback. Even so, it wouldn't be a physical media problem - data on the drive would still be perfectly readable.
post #470 of 859 Old 02-17-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I have 3 EPG screens worth of channels turned on. I'm not sure how many channels appear per screen but I know I have to scroll down 3 times to get to the last channel. I'd guess this is about 30 channels.

I don't normally use the recorder for regular viewing. I use the cable connected from the output of the recorder, which gives me the ability to set up the desired channels using the TV tuner. Here, I have everything active, except for the foreign language channels.

I have a harmony remote, so switching between the recorder and the tv is a one button deal.

Aydu,
I have only one full EPG Screen full of channels. That is about 10 channels that I currently have turned on. I agree that so far the EPG indicator is turned off more often now that I only have 10 channels turned on. The entire 8 days of data has already been downloaded so now its a matter of waiting. I also don't use my pioneer to view live television so the fact that all of those channels are turned off doesn't effect me. I just found it odd that TLC and Food Channel are the only two channels that are turned off in the TVGOS however I can still tune to those channels. If I do tune to one of those channels then press the TV Guide button, the channel is greyed out in the grid and each time slot says "Off". Also the program description indicates that no information is available for that channel.

Anyways, I'm hoping this works. If it does then I will be very gratefull.
post #471 of 859 Old 02-17-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Since I don't know where your cable co. is in relation to you, not sure, but it might be better to use you true Zip Code...maybe later if these things don't work.

Once you get channels, and if your TVGOS is still either not working or working "v-e-r-y slowly" (one result I've found from having multiple PBS channels), you need to first find out what your Host channel is.

Do this in the TVG menu:
Press TVG Button>
Go to SETUP >
Go to "Change system settings" (highlight only, don't press Enter) >
Enter these #s: 753159852 [it's an "X" "I" key pattern] >
At grey screen, right arrow to next grey screen and look for Host Chan
(it may have numbers like 1:0,XX -- the "XX" is the part to remember) >
Press TV GUIDE button to exit

That will be your "designated" Host channel (except it may be for that other Zip and not yours? We'll see later?) It "should" be a PBS station.

Go to TV GUIDE > "Change channel display" and find your Host channel AND the other PBS channel(s) you receive.

Turn OFF all other PBS channels, leaving your Host channel ON.

Now, you'll have to have more patience and see if that does any good. (If no help, try entering your true Zip, but then you'll have to check for Host channel again...just to make sure it's not different?)

|
|
|
post #472 of 859 Old 02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanx.

I will give that a try.

My cable co.(Adelphia) is located in the next town over from me, and i am using that zip where it was located, so i should get that channel lineup(this would be the correct one for me). I am kinda located in between two different line-up areas. The next zip closest too me(just a mere mile and half down the road) has a different Adelphia channel line-up then me.

If I go to the Adelphia homepage, and type in the zip code of the town a mile away(if I actually type in my correct zip code which my mailing address uses, it doesn't know where the hell I am/or who I am. Go figure) it asks me to choose between one of two offices located near me.

One has one channel lineup(this would be for the town closest to me, and is not my line-up. Again go figure. Someone drew a map with a line, and I fell on the other side of it.), and the other one(this is office's ZIP I use, as this should help me) has the correct channel line-up for me in my area.

Very Confusing, I know. I must live in some hole ripped in the fabric of the Universe.
post #473 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

WABJXO,

I did the above method you recommended, and on the screen I got for Host chan was this:

Host Channel:

That's it. Every other heading had something(VIB channel I think was 1:02 or something) next to it, but the Host channel heading was COMPLETELY BLANK.

Does this mean a bad machine, or that my cable co. just sends Zero TVGOS information at all over there?

If it is the latter, i can't see that being a problem, since I will have none of the so called "grinding" people refer to, and will just continue to Timer record everything.

I will post the same results in the EUREKA thread to see if I get any answers there as well.
post #474 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I did the above method you recommended, and on the screen I got for Host chan was this:

Host Channel:

That's it. Every other heading had something (VIB channel I think was 1:02 or something) next to it, but the Host channel heading was COMPLETELY BLANK.

Does this mean a bad machine, or that my cable co. just sends Zero TVGOS information at all over there?

So far your DVR hasn't "found" a Host channel (or a Host channel hasn't found you?).

The next logical step is for you to go to your channel list (Change channel display menu) and see if you have channels yet, and if so, are any PBS channels in the list? Post here the result?

|
|
|
post #475 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far your DVR hasn't "found" a Host channel (or a Host channel hasn't found you?).

The next logical step is for you to go to your channel list (Change channel display menu) and see if you have channels yet, and if so, are any PBS channels in the list? Post here the result?

I am assuming you mean the TVGuide channel list, right?

What I mean is that during the first/basic setup the unit asks you if you have cable, or antenna, or nothing, and I selected CABLE and the unit AUTOMATICALLY began to scan for channels(I didn't ask it, it just did it. On a VCR, or any other unit I have ever used, it asks you if you want to do an auto scan, or a manual search. This unit just automatically begins a AUTO channel search).

After getting all of my cable channels that are coming through the RF input, I just finish the basic set-up.

During the AUTOMATIC TIME SET the unit asks me to put in the channel for the AUTO TIME SET. I tried my PBS stations(13 and 15) and got nothing. Should the unit be doing that, or if there was a host channel at all in the initial scan, wouldn't it automatically TUNE to that channel, and not ASK ME to manually put it on?

Thanx again
post #476 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am assuming you mean the TVGuide channel list, right?

What I mean is that during the first/basic setup the unit asks you if you have cable, or antenna, or nothing, and I selected CABLE and the unit AUTOMATICALLY began to scan for channels(I didn't ask it, it just did it. On a VCR, or any other unit I have ever used, it asks you if you want to do an auto scan, or a manual search. This unit just automatically begins a AUTO channel search).

After getting all of my cable channels that are coming through the RF input, I just finish the basic set-up.

During the AUTOMATIC TIME SET the unit asks me to put in the channel for the AUTO TIME SET. I tried my PBS stations(13 and 15) and got nothing. Should the unit be doing that, or if there was a host channel at all in the initial scan, wouldn't it automatically TUNE to that channel, and not ASK ME to manually put it on?

Thanx again

Don't worry about the clock right now...I couldn't find ANY clock-setting channels in my area either so set manually.

It appears you do have channels, and IF you see both PBS channels in the list, try this first: turn OFF the "odd" channel (15?) and leave the Pittsburg WQED (13) ON (it is ON, isn't it?).

While you wait to see the result of this (if any), you could call one or both PBS stations (WQED for sure) and check with their engrg to see if their Gemstar TVGOS inserter/encoder is working or not. (That's all they can do is "check.")

WQED Tel # is 412-622-1300 (switchboard) or 412-622-1370 (cust. svc)

|
|
|
post #477 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to do what you want right now. I shall return in a few minutes.

I will have to do it in the manual channel area of the HOME MENU(in other words SKIP the channel) as my TVGUIDE grid has nothing. Only says NO DATA COLLECTED or something.
post #478 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WQED Tel # is 412-622-1300 (switchboard) or 412-622-1370 (cust. svc)

GOOD LORD!

You really are the PBS man. I am going to do this right now.

By the way, I kept the original zip, as I figured this will give me the correct lineup, as compared to the othe I mentioned.
post #479 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am going to do what you want right now. I shall return in a few minutes.

I will have to do it in the manual channel area of the HOME MENU(in other words SKIP the channel) as my TVGUIDE grid has nothing. Only says NO DATA COLLECTED or something.

NO! don't do that!

Using the TV GUIDE button, go to SETUP > Change channel display menu.

There you should see all the channels your DVR found...I hope!

Are there channels listed in that menu?

|
|
|
post #480 of 859 Old 02-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

It sounds like my host channel for the Toshiba TV is channel 12. I have an email in to that station (which is FOX network here), to see if they do indeed carry TVGOS data for Gemstar. I'll recheck my Pio, but last time I was in the debug, it showed a host channel of 10, which is our PBS station here.

There are certainly two differnct versions for the TVGOS at least. The debug screens are quite a bit different from my Pio to my Tosh TV. Tosh TV is 2 years old. I also noted on the TVGOS web site, it lists a number of specific products for one support page, and tells all other products to use a different support page.

Rick

Well, my latest run for good EPG is from Feb 1 - Feb 18. It failed sometime after the overnite update, since using a search for a show, it found an episode for Feb 25th and had a description. The Toshiba TVGOS is still fine.

This is after switching cables from TV to PIO to make sure it wasn't just poor feed to the PIO. I did the following this morning to try out some other ideas:

3. During the reset, I chose auto time (I tried manual time before). I tried using channel 12 (An independent station not PBS) for time sync, but it wouldn't sync. I had to choose channel 10. It did a time sync in little less than a minute.

4. I let it scan for channels

5. I then went into the channel editor (TV not TVGOS) and turned off channel 10 (PBS station), which is what it has always used as it's host channel. I notice that even though I say I turned it off, I really am just telling the tuner to skip that channel (which may be good, since it has to be the auto time channel).

6. I then went into the TVGOS setup screen and re-entered everything.

7. One last thing I did was to set up a manual timer record from the L! input (something I wanted to record was coming on in couple of hours).

I'll post what results are. I'm not sure what to expect with my previous host channel set to skip. Based on past experience, I should have a channel line-up by this evening, and listing data by tommorrow morning.

I'll post results.

Rick
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page