Pioneer Disappearing EPG - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to think that the problematic EPG on Pioneers has something to do with incompatibility with the make and model of cable box. I currently have the SA Explorer 3200 with Rogers. If my EPG doesn't load today, then I will exchange the cable box for another model, perhaps the 3000 that Pete_L is currently using (who has no problems with the EPG). If my problems go away, it will show that there was a hardware incompatibility. I'll post my results if I do the switch.
Pitman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I found something of possible interest to others re: EPG/TVGOS.

I did a numbskull test of an idea I've been wanting to try: hooking a splitter up backwards to combine two signals into one. I did the test with a rabbit ears and my analog coax, and had to disconnect the RF IN from my 531 and put into one of the outs on the splitter. The rabbit ears were amplified type. The picture looked OK with rabbit ears amp off, but a little snowy with amp all the way up.

But that's not the interesting part: the coax on the DVR was only out for about 5 min., and when I hooked it back to the RF IN on the DVR, all 8-days of my perfectly working EPG and TVG listings were gone, and the "Rebuilding due to setup change..." message appeared.

Apparently, the TVG can be lost from either (1) just disconnecting the RF IN from the DVR, (2) inserting a "perturbated" signal (two antenna feeds with reduced dB), or (3) combination of both.

Even if the EPG was in burst mode at the time (~1:00 pm CST), it might be an indication that the EPG is not very "fault-tolerant" and must have a continuous, strong signal to survive. It seems that if the EPG was interrupted, it shouldn't just DUMP EVERYTHING...it should be able to "pick up where it left off" even if it was downloading at that exact time!?
wajo is offline  
post #543 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_chamelea View Post

Unfortunately you've wasted a week setting it up to perform with a poorly implemented, half-baked "service" provider (TVG). Pioneer ('for shame') took their eye off the ball - I really hope you don't waste your 'two remaining strikes' until Walmart's sunset. If targeted correctly, your recorder is a $300 bargain. Your original question was, "Can I forget the EPG and do manual timer recording?"

I beg to differ with your assertions that the TVGOS EPG is half-baked. I have been using it for almost 10 months, and it has been extremely reliable and I use it exclusively to record TV programs. However, I am using it on a Panasonic, who have implemented it very well in their recorders (whisper quiet with no flashing display).

Rather, I would point to Pioneer and their incredibly poor implementation of the TVGOS EPG, including thrashing HDDs, and the omnipresent "EPG" on the display.

My thoughts on the matter...

RG
rgazzara is offline  
post #544 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
rickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

I beg to differ with your assertions that the TVGOS EPG is half-baked. I have been using it for almost 10 months, and it has been extremely reliable and I use it exclusively to record TV programs. However, I am using it on a Panasonic, who have implemented it very well in their recorders (whisper quiet with no flashing display).

Rather, I would point to Pioneer and their incredibly poor implementation of the TVGOS EPG, including thrashing HDDs, and the omnipresent "EPG" on the display.

My thoughts on the matter...

I agree.

I'm using it on a Pio 531 with atrocious results, while the same OTA signal (I have a splitter) goes to a Toshiba TV with TVGOS. The Tosh TVGOS works flawlessly, while the Pio fails quite often.

Pioneer is the one whoe should be getting the flack, not Gemstar or the TVGOS system.


Rick
rickie is offline  
post #545 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, so far, Pioneer really sucks with TVGOS. It should not be this difficult to get up and running.

I have finally concluded that it has nothing to do with the cable company. Pioneer were trying to tell me that the fault lies with Rogers. Well, everytime I setup the system with just the analog line in, no cable box, it works. I get TVGOS data, and everything is right with the world. The moment I hook up the cable box, everything falls apart. All I get are boxes and boxes of "No Listing".

So, it is most definitely the Pioneer and it's compatibility with the cable box hook-up. Since there is a chap in Newmarket who has a Pioneer working well with TVGOS with his cable box, a different model than what I have, I would say that there are just some cable boxes that are not compatible with the Pioneer. And the fault then lies with Pioneer. But I have also read report here where Pioneer users have no problems for a month or two, then they start losing EPG data. So, you just never know when the nightmare will begin. I'd like to find just one Pioneer TVGOS user who has had flawless operation for at least a year.

I will have to rule out any settings I made on the cable box itself, like for instance, I had volume fixed, I had tinkered with the audio settings.

Does anyone know if the EPG data relies on audio signal as well as video??
Pitman is offline  
post #546 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The "audio" idea may be "far out" but then it may also have some merit...I just found out today that, if you fool with the RF IN (video and audio signal), like disconnect it for a few minutes or introduce an "unclean" signal, the TVGOS system DUMPS EVERYTHING!

You'd think it could stand more than a short loss of signal w/o DYING!

I also have had occasions while running "tests" of changing a channel location in a listing, followed by the infamous "Rebuilding..." message.

I'm beginning to think the Pio designers don't know the words "fault tolerance" since it seems to see any changes in its perfect environment, even ones they designed in, a "Setup Change"!!!

My TVGOS has worked perfectly for long periods (between my tests) as long as no one looked at it sideways! I hope the 640 has a better system implementation.
wajo is offline  
post #547 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Does anyone know if the EPG data relies on audio signal as well as video??

The TVGOS EPG data is carried in the VBI part of the broadcast signal (the part that can't be seen on the TV). No audio is involved.

RG
rgazzara is offline  
post #548 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

The TVGOS EPG data is carried in the VBI part of the broadcast signal (the part that can't be seen on the TV). No audio is involved.

Ok. And that is interesting because when I came home to find all those "No Listing" boxes on the TV Guide, I entered the diagnostic mode. It found the host channel ok, but the VBI channel was on 0 meaning Zero. Now, what the heck does that mean?
Pitman is offline  
post #549 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wabjxo

Your TVGOS is working fine because you don't have to deal with a cable box! When you throw a cable box into the mix, the stability of the EPG dissolves!
Pitman is offline  
post #550 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Member
 
sv_chamelea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_L View Post

My DVR no longer cycles the channels on my cable box because it's managed to find the TVGOS channel. Yours sounds like it's still looking. I suspect it needs to get through the whole list of possible channels at least once, after which it should hopefully just settle on the one it finds on your 'antenna' RF IN.

I gather you've received your channel lineup but no listings yet. That seems to indicate you've found a host channel. In my area, Rogers cable is all-digital except on channels in the 800 range. If yours is different, your DVR may find an analog signal on a lower channel and use that rather than using a channel from your RF IN input. . . . .

wabjxo,
As a dyed-in-the-wool TiVo subscriber, I have no interest in the EPG by TVGOS. But I do feel it's unfortunate that so many are so frustrated by Pioneer's apparently faulty implementation.

Anyhow, Pete's above comment on the previous page made me recall yours and others ... that your listing goes blank if you disconnect the RF line. Do you think, as Pete implies above, that after targeted to use TVG, each Pioneer wants to find a source channel and then remain married to it 24/365? Ergo, cut the link to that channel (or maybe even have it go off-air for a minute?) and Pioneer immediately bails-out and starts looking for a new source? Just an idle thought ...

~ (sv_chamelea is my sailboat).
sv_chamelea is offline  
post #551 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_chamelea View Post

wabjxo,
As a dyed-in-the-wool TiVo subscriber, I have no interest in the EPG by TVGOS. But I do feel it's unfortunate that so many are so frustrated by Pioneer's apparently faulty implementation.

Anyhow, Pete's above comment on the previous page made me recall yours and others ... that your listing goes blank if you disconnect the RF line. Do you think, as Pete implies above, that after targeted to use TVG, each Pioneer wants to find a source channel and then remain married to it 24/365? Ergo, cut the link to that channel (or maybe even have it go off-air for a minute?) and Pioneer immediately bails-out and starts looking for a new source? Just an idle thought ...

I believe you're right, altho' others will argue. I've posted this before, but an "expert" article I read stated that TVGOS/EPG works with a "constant, but very low-level connection" (may have been "contact" or ...), with "bursts" for the actual data download at scheduled times. My EPG seemed to stay on almost 24/7, and silently too...when it is working!

I think it's a disruption in the low-level connection (from any/many possible sources, apparently) that "disrupts" the system. My test above seemed to suggest it KILLS the system and it has to have a new rebirth via "Rebuilding due to setup change..."! i.e., NO FAULT TOLERANCE!!!

P.S. Fault-tolerance in electronic systems is difficult to achieve, but not impossible, except here where the risk/reward equation is pretty meaningless.
wajo is offline  
post #552 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

...the coax on the DVR was only out for about 5 min., and when I hooked it back to the RF IN on the DVR, all 8-days of my perfectly working EPG and TVG listings were gone, and the "Rebuilding due to setup change..." message appeared.

Apparently, the TVG can be lost from either (1) just disconnecting the RF IN from the DVR, (2) inserting a "perturbated" signal (two antenna feeds with reduced dB), or (3) combination of both.

I get this happening all the time with no interruption of the cable signal. If you use the TVGOS "search" function you will likely find that all of your program info is still in the machine, it just won't display on the "Listing" screen.
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #553 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

I get this happening all the time with no interruption of the cable signal. If you use the TVGOS "search" function you will likely find that all of your program info is still in the machine, it just won't display on the "Listing" screen.

That's NOT where I want the program info...I want it on the %$#&#$ LISTINGS screen, where it belongs......in a perfect world, of course!
wajo is offline  
post #554 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to think I will take back this Pioneer and buy a Panasonic. From most of the reports, the Panasonic and TVGOS work much better together. And what is the point of buying a unit that has TV Guide in it that doesn't work properly??
Pitman is offline  
post #555 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Member
 
sv_chamelea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

I beg to differ with your assertions that the TVGOS EPG is half-baked. I have been using it for almost 10 months, and it has been extremely reliable and I use it exclusively to record TV programs. However, I am using it on a Panasonic, who have implemented it very well . . .

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. There's no surprise that TVG is problematic when it must knit its software with various hardware mfgs, and further with hundreds of divergent providers ... yet attempt to offer a single user-experience. And while I'm a very satisfied Pioneer owner, I grant here (and above) that they screwed up their TVGOS implementation.

That TVG works on your Panny - Good for you! As a TiVo fan, I'm accustomed to a vastly better guide-experience than the TVG capabilities I've read about on this forum, which leaves me with no taste whatever for the TVG solution ... a seemingly ponderous software interface with no wishllists and no season's passes. If that's all one's ever seen, I suppose it's better than zip, and not surprising for a free, bare-bones choice. Too bad you cannot elect the free, basic TiVo instead.

Since I have no good view of the OTA signals I'm a dedicated satellite user, with the obvious benefit that TiVo is happily married to a single programming source. Once one accepts that $50 starting point, Pioneer offers an amazing quilt of entertainment services, excellent PQ, broad configurability, a form of 2-pass encoding, DV-input and dual-layer media - all for $400 or less.

As I said, it's just too bad if someone misses the whole bushel of apples, simply for having found a worm (or half?) in one. For those about to toss the Pioneer baby w/ the bathwater, remember that Comcast will imminently offer a DVR with TiVo ... with which those Pioneer apples will really shine!


(how's that Panny at dual-layer recording?)

~ (sv_chamelea is my sailboat).
sv_chamelea is offline  
post #556 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Pitman, I think you're doing the right thing if you really want TVGOS. I've been a loyal fan of the Pio X33 series and still think it's a great unit for everything EXCEPT the TVGOS. It appears to be too "fragile"..."finicky"..."fickle"...are those the proper electronic terms?

If these Pios didn't have TVGOS, everyone who had them would probably be raving about their goodness...and they are good!

Naw, then we'd be complaining that it didn't have the Panasonic's TVGOS system...now maybe we should be wishing it had the Pioneer guts with the Panasonic TVGOS system?????

P.S. Hey, let's build our own! Should we call it the PanaPio or the PioPan???
wajo is offline  
post #557 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I think I know how the Pio Designers designed the TVGOS system. Check this out.

Head Designer (HD): Ok, guys, you're done and now I have some questions.

Designers 1,2,3,4,5 (D1-D5): OK, shoot!

HD: What if someone unplugs the RF input?

D1-D5: Huh!???

HD: Well, what if someone turns the unit on during a data download burst?

D1-D5: Huh!???

HD: Well, come on guys, what fault tolerance have you built in?

D1-D5: What's "fault tolerance"???

HD: Look, guys, just some answers, please!

D1-D5: Sorry, HD, but you just didn't ask the right questions!
wajo is offline  
post #558 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Having gone from sporadic EPG listings on my 531 to perfect performance for nearly 4 consecutive weeks, I have come to the conclusion that the EPG problems are on Pioneer's end, not the TVGOS system.

Using straight analog cable, with no decoder box, I lost EPG data frequently. As others have pointed out, programs continued to appear on the search function and weekly or daily recordings continued to record.

The problem was with the listings showing up on the listing screen.

Pioneer has not provided adequate customer support, shifting the blame to Gemstar for resolution.

I don't know exactly what causes the EPG information to get lost, but having it finally work consistently tells me that the data feed from Gemstar is consistent.

I'm still guessing that some firmware setting on the Pioneer units has some bad code that triggers the loss of EPG information. I'm also guessing that the firmware on the recorders is not upgradable, without replacing a chip, or chips. That is probably why Pioneer is looking to place blame on Gemstar, whose feed could be modified to work around bad firmware in the recorders, without the cost to Pioneer to replace the units with the bad firmware.

This is all just a guess, but I know Pioneer has been the subject of class action lawsuits on some of their PC DVD burners for incompatibility with some DVD standards.

On the positive side, I have been extremely pleased with the PQ and ease of use of the 531. I have yet to burn a coaster on the burner. With the exception of the EPG, I would rate the unit at or above my expectations.

Now that my EPG has become stable, I am not going to mess with any of my EPG settings. It was too hard to get where I am today. Wish Pioneer had made it a bit easier.
aydu is offline  
post #559 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Ok. And that is interesting because when I came home to find all those "No Listing" boxes on the TV Guide, I entered the diagnostic mode. It found the host channel ok, but the VBI channel was on 0 meaning Zero. Now, what the heck does that mean?

The VBI channel is usually the channel that the recorder is presently tuned to. I don't know why yours would be zero.

RG
rgazzara is offline  
post #560 of 859 Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Using straight analog cable, with no decoder box, I lost EPG data frequently.

Contrary to your experiences, it was the opposite for me. Analog line RF IN was the only way I could consistently get TVGOS. Once I hooked up the cable box, all hell broke loose.
Quote:


Now that my EPG has become stable, I am not going to mess with any of my EPG settings. It was too hard to get where I am today. Wish Pioneer had made it a bit easier.

My EPG has never become stable. And you are using a digital cable box?
Pitman is offline  
post #561 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Contrary to your experiences, it was the opposite for me. Analog line RF IN was the only way I could consistently get TVGOS. Once I hooked up the cable box, all hell broke loose.
My EPG has never become stable. And you are using a digital cable box?

No cable box in my setup.
aydu is offline  
post #562 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

No cable box in my setup.

What did you do to get your EPG stable?
Pitman is offline  
post #563 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Member
 
DayTrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Having gone from sporadic EPG listings on my 531 to perfect performance for nearly 4 consecutive weeks, I have come to the conclusion that the EPG problems are on Pioneer's end, not the TVGOS system.

Using straight analog cable, with no decoder box, I lost EPG data frequently. As others have pointed out, programs continued to appear on the search function and weekly or daily recordings continued to record.

The problem was with the listings showing up on the listing screen.

Pioneer has not provided adequate customer support, shifting the blame to Gemstar for resolution.

I don't know exactly what causes the EPG information to get lost, but having it finally work consistently tells me that the data feed from Gemstar is consistent.

I'm still guessing that some firmware setting on the Pioneer units has some bad code that triggers the loss of EPG information. I'm also guessing that the firmware on the recorders is not upgradable, without replacing a chip, or chips. That is probably why Pioneer is looking to place blame on Gemstar, whose feed could be modified to work around bad firmware in the recorders, without the cost to Pioneer to replace the units with the bad firmware.

This is all just a guess, but I know Pioneer has been the subject of class action lawsuits on some of their PC DVD burners for incompatibility with some DVD standards.

On the positive side, I have been extremely pleased with the PQ and ease of use of the 531. I have yet to burn a coaster on the burner. With the exception of the EPG, I would rate the unit at or above my expectations.

Now that my EPG has become stable, I am not going to mess with any of my EPG settings. It was too hard to get where I am today. Wish Pioneer had made it a bit easier.

Aydu,
Thanks to your instructions listed in a previous post, my Pioneer 533 is also running perfectly. This is the longest I've gone (2 weeks) so far without loosing the listings. I agree that this definitely looks like an issue with Pioneer. Clearly shutting off most of the channels in the guide allows it to update and retain the information much more consistantly. I think you may have found the solution that everyone should impliment. One note...in your instructions you indicated that you hooked up the IR Blaster just in case. I didn't hook it up on mine and so far it doesn't seem to matter.
DayTrader is offline  
post #564 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Member
 
MikeParticles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of two days ago, when I go to the Listings view in the TVGOS, I have a new channel at the top of my listings that is named "Last Channel" and has no program information in any of the time slots. Could this be a last channel marker that is supposed to remain invisible but is mistakenly showing up as a real channel?

Perhaps this is an indication that the program guide is running off the end of the data, leading to an eventual reset? What is odd is that the "Last Channel" appears to have a nice logo in the leftmost column just like a real channel.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
- Mike
MikeParticles is offline  
post #565 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeParticles View Post

As of two days ago, when I go to the Listings view in the TVGOS, I have a new channel at the top of my listings that is named "Last Channel" and has no program information in any of the time slots. Could this be a last channel marker that is supposed to remain invisible but is mistakenly showing up as a real channel?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
- Mike

Yes, it's the last channel you were watching, that's all.
Pitman is offline  
post #566 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
rickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

Aydu,
Thanks to your instructions listed in a previous post, my Pioneer 533 is also running perfectly. This is the longest I've gone (2 weeks) so far without loosing the listings. I agree that this definitely looks like an issue with Pioneer. Clearly shutting off most of the channels in the guide allows it to update and retain the information much more consistantly. I think you may have found the solution that everyone should impliment. One note...in your instructions you indicated that you hooked up the IR Blaster just in case. I didn't hook it up on mine and so far it doesn't seem to matter.

I'd like to think it was that simple. Unfortunately, I only show about 8 channels in my guide and thats about all I've ever shown. Whenever I have to reset, I go in and turn off whatever I dont need. Still fails after about week 3. Maybe I'll get lucky this time though. Granted, I'm running OTA not cable.

Rick
rickie is offline  
post #567 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I get the last channel in my EPG when I power up the unit and the EPG indicator is NOT present on the recorder. I interpret this to be when the recorder has received all EPG information for that day and totally powers down.

Powering up from this "off" state generates a "wait" indicator on screen until the unit finishes with the bootup process.
aydu is offline  
post #568 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
rickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeParticles View Post

As of two days ago, when I go to the Listings view in the TVGOS, I have a new channel at the top of my listings that is named "Last Channel" and has no program information in any of the time slots. Could this be a last channel marker that is supposed to remain invisible but is mistakenly showing up as a real channel?

Perhaps this is an indication that the program guide is running off the end of the data, leading to an eventual reset? What is odd is that the "Last Channel" appears to have a nice logo in the leftmost column just like a real channel.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
- Mike


I"m not sure I understand, I've had the last channel on my guide ever since it was set up. Maybe late last summer. It tunes to whatever the last channel I tuned to.

EDIT: I just went in to check, and see that it's labeled Last Channel when my last input was L1 (the only input i'm using beside the OTA to RF1). Otherwise it shows preveiw window of the last channel, but puts cursor in the channel lineup at the last channel.

I also checked my Tosh Television TVGOS implemenation, and it shows the Last Channel label for anything that was last, like what you described, it's simply a channel line above all the others.

Rick



Rick
rickie is offline  
post #569 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

I"m not sure I understand, I've had the last channel on my guide ever since it was set up. Maybe late last summer. It tunes to whatever the last channel I tuned to.

Rick

Yes, it's just showing you what channel you were tuned to before you entered the TV Guide. Nothing more.
Pitman is offline  
post #570 of 859 Old 02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Yes, it's just showing you what channel you were tuned to before you entered the TV Guide. Nothing more.

Agreed, it's the same on my Panasonic E-500 and E-65.

RG
rgazzara is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off