post #631 of 859 Old 03-05-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStebbins View Post

The first choice works. Previously it was the 2nd (last) choice that was the correct match. I suspect the differences are small, but you'd think they'd at least give you human-readable information!

This forum is great for showing what others experience in diff. parts of the country. You get three cable system layouts with the same "name" making it diff. to pick. I get three diff. cable system "names," so it's easy for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

I think the "Aydu theory" involves number of channels that are ON, not just downloaded. I believe virtually everyone gets lots of channels "downloaded."

He turned many downloaded channels that were ON to OFF...the ones he didn't care about. The theory is that reduced the processor workload and stabilized his TVGOS. (I'm sure Aydu will correct me if this mis-states his theory.)

Right! I suspect that too many channels overloads some internal buffer in the EPG software, causing it to lose the listings. Cutting back on the number of channels seems to have helped this, on my setup.

The other theory I have is that having two PBS channels on my cable system was giving the EPG system a problem. Turning one of them off, at the tv tuner, may have cut out the downloads possibly being available from two different channels.
post #633 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finally decided the bite the bullet and try this. I'm in Canada, and my TVGOS host channel showed as channel 9 (CTV). I have no idea if the listings are being carried on another channel as well, but I reasoned that I could find out by turning off channel 9 to see if another channel showed up in the TVGOS debug screen. So I:
  • Reset the TVGOS,
  • Reset the Pioneer 633
  • Did the Pioneer tuner setup by specifying "Cable" and "No Cable Box" (my cable feed goes into RF IN)
  • Let the Pioneer scan all the channels
  • Went into the "Home Menu", selected "Initial Setup", "Tuner", and then set channel 9 to "skip"
  • Did the TVGOS setup. I didn't disable any channels within the TVGOS screens.
I left the machine off overnight, and when I looked at it the next day I found that it was still receiving data via channel 9! When I went back into the "Initial Setup", "Tuner" screen the "skip" option was grayed out for all the channels. It looks to me like the TVGOS is overriding the tuner channel selections somehow.
post #634 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

When I went back into the "Initial Setup", "Tuner" screen the "skip" option was grayed out for all the channels. It looks to me like the TVGOS is overriding the tuner channel selections somehow.

Yeah, as soon as you set up TVGOS, the channel skip option is no longer available. Try turning off channel 9 in your TV Guide lineup and see what happens?
post #635 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

aydu, could you confirm how you turned off one of your PBS stations - was it in the Pioneer tuner setup or by deleting the channel from the TVGOS listings?

I'm going to leave mine as it is for the short term to see if it goes to "Rebuilding channel lineup" after receiving the 8th day of listings.
post #636 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

aydu, could you confirm how you turned off one of your PBS stations - was it in the Pioneer tuner setup or by deleting the channel from the TVGOS listings?

I'm going to leave mine as it is for the short term to see if it goes to "Rebuilding channel lineup" after receiving the 8th day of listings.

Sean,

I've turned off my Host Channel in both the Tuner and the TVGOS probabaly a couple of weeks ago - I'll check and find out when. It still shows up as the host channel.

Having said that of course, I just lost TVGOS again sometime today. (It was here this morning, but just went in this evening, and it's "rebuilding". So, latest run for my TVGOS was from Feb 18-mar 6. Still about 3 weeks.

Well, I"ll try the reset now and see if I get the new choice Wab mentioned.

Rick
post #637 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:

. . . When I went back into the "Initial Setup", "Tuner" screen the "skip" option was grayed out for all the channels. It looks to me like the TVGOS is overriding the tuner channel selections somehow.

Mine does this too. After going thru TVG setup, I no longer have access to channel skip under the HomeMenu>INitial Setup>Tuner menu. I don't use TVG at all, but I was going to post precisely that question:

"How is it that posters here using TVG can turn channels on or off?"

But I just noticed that it was answered today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

Yeah, as soon as you set up TVGOS, the channel skip option is no longer available. Try turning off channel 9 in your TV Guide lineup and see what happens?

~ (sv_chamelea is my sailboat).
post #638 of 859 Old 03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sounds as if you're trying to do a Hostectomy. Although you've posted in that thread twice already, here's a link to take you back there. Read the words between the asterisks...it's pretty simple, but I'll be glad to help if you have trouble?

|
|
|
post #639 of 859 Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I turned off the 2nd PBS channel in the tv tuner. Immediately after scanning for channels, I went back in and turned off the PBS station.

I then proceeded to set up the EPG system.
post #640 of 859 Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_chamelea View Post

Mine does this too. After going thru TVG setup, I no longer have access to channel skip under the HomeMenu>INitial Setup>Tuner menu. I don't use TVG at all, but I was going to post precisely that question:

"How is it that posters here using TVG can turn channels on or off?"

But I just noticed that it was answered today:

I discovered that turning channels on and off in the Tuner Setup or in TVGOS accomplishes the same goal. Both methods turn channels on and off from the tuner. The only difference is that you can only turn channels on and off through the tuner setup prior to performing the initial setup for TVGOS. Once TVGOS is setup then you can only turn channels on and off through TVGOS.

The suggestion that Ayudu made was to reset TVGOS then reset the entire unit as if starting over from day 1. After the unit has scanned all the channels then go into the tuner setup and turn off any PBS stations that are not being used as host stations by TVGOS. Then perform the TVGOS setup. Once that is done go in and turn off ALL channels in TVGOS except for the one's you absolutely need. When I was done with this step I had only 10 channels turned on. I'm now on my 3rd week of continuous use without getting the rebuilding message. I have over the last couple of weeks turned on a few additional channels. When you turn on a channel there is initially no information available. Then by the next day all the programming is downloaded for the new channels. I also notice that the TVGOS seems to be more resposive from a performance perspective. When you activate the TVGOS it seems to display much faster than before.

I definitely reccomend trying this if you are still getting the rebuilding messages.
post #641 of 859 Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds as if you're trying to do a Hostectomy. Although you've posted in that thread twice already, here's a link to take you back there. Read the words between the asterisks...it's pretty simple, but I'll be glad to help if you have trouble?

My intention was to follow Aydu's procedure because several people have tried it and reported success. I suspect that the crux of his procedure is turning off the guide information for unwanted channels. I haven't done that yet, I'm waiting to see if I get the "Rebuilding Channel Lineup" message after all 8 days have been loaded.

This is the first time I've reset the DVR or the TVGOS software since I purchased the machine in the fall. For anyone who's wondering, the resets wipe out any timed recording in the TVGOS schedule screen, but don't affect any titles already recorded to the hard drive.
post #642 of 859 Old 03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

Sean,

Having said that of course, I just lost TVGOS again sometime today. (It was here this morning, but just went in this evening, and it's "rebuilding". So, latest run for my TVGOS was from Feb 18-mar 6. Still about 3 weeks.

Well, I"ll try the reset now and see if I get the new choice Wab mentioned.

Rick

OK, Had a unusual occurence this time on reset. During my Pio reset, I tried doing auto time set and it wouln't set using my PBS station (which is the time sync channel I've used in past). I went ahead and set manually, at end of process you get a choice, and I decided to try redo and try other stations (I know other stations send out syncs). So I tried other and still no go, then I decided to try PBS again and this time it took it fine and set clock.

Finished procedure and reset the TVGOS setup info. By this time I was within 1 and half hours of rrecording some shows, so I went in and set timer manual time recording.

Recording went fine, but after they finished (around 11:00 pm), I noticed the the clocke was showing 8:05 (or there abouts). Didnt seem right so I check the TVGOS and clock was set for 8:00 AM. (I think it slipped back into GMT).

I went ahead and did another Pio reset. (along with re setting up TVGOS). I decided not to try turning off channel anywhere this time (at least not yet).

When my TVGOS downloads it contains my local OTA, some OTA from a few other not so local channles (60 miles away), and a whole boatload of basic cable channels that are already set to off by the TVGOS software (I say no cable during setup).

I will go in at some point and turn off the OTA that I don't recieve, and probably re-assign a station (there is one local channel I recieve, but there is no TVGOS data for it, but same network is on a station I don't recieve, so I just tell TVGOS to tune to my local station on that channel.

When I finish, I only have about 8 channels turned on in TVGOS. My cycle has typically been about three weeks of functioning before it locks up.

Rick
post #643 of 859 Old 03-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Wanted everyone to know that my TVGOS has been working fine for 4 weeks since implimenting Aydu's fix.
post #644 of 859 Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 AM

FYI: I had that problem with the GUI, where the tv guide screen was fuzzy and unavailable. I talked to Pioneer and they said to send it in. I sent it in on March 2 and received it back on March 20, by two day delivery. Not too bad a turnaround time, all things considered (like, they must have a ton of these sets being sent in for repair). They replaced the motherboard and the hard drive, apparently not settling for just reloading software. I'll give it a couple of days to load and see how it does.
post #645 of 859 Old 03-21-2006, 12:15 PM

I just bought this unit and the EPG light will not go off. Is this normal?

Roger D. Littleton
post #646 of 859 Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, it's normal for a unit in which the TVG is working properly...and for one that's not. When working properly, there is a constant, low-level "connection" and four periods of data "bursts" when the TVG info is downloaded.

Unfortunately, if your EPG can't find or maintain a good source of data (for various reasons), it will continually try to do so, which also keeps the "EPG" lit on the display.

You should know in the morning whether your EPG/TVGOS system will work or not. If your TVG schedule (TV GUIDE button on remote) fills up Days 1, 2, and 8, it's working and should fill up the other 5 days in due time.

Keep the unit "off" overnight for best results.

|
|
|
post #647 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDboy View Post

Here's an update to my situation. I did a hard reset (Stop + On) on the recorder last night. followed by another full initial setup process and TVGOS setup. This morning, I had TV Guide program listings and entries in the 'channel display' area for the first time in about a week and a half. Also, there was actually a number (my local PBS station) in the Host channel reference in the diagnostic screens.

Of course, I lost all my scheduled recordings, too. Apparently, this is the true fix...I just wish there were a 'softer' one that didn't wipe out the future recording schedule.

Back in bidness.

Well, ladies and gentlemen...I got reliable TVGOS data for about three weeks after my hard reset on my 531. Guess what?? It's now gone again.

Yep -- no program listings or channel listings. I've checked the diagnostic screen and sure enough -- host channel is blank again. It seems that the core of this problem is that for some reason the host channel setting is lost and can only be re-acquired by a hard reset of the recorder -- which of course, makes you lose all your scheduled recordings.

What is also confusing about this, is that when you look at the scheduled listings (or do a search for programs) you can get results that show programs for 8 days out. It's as if the DVR 'knows' what the upcoming programs are even without the TVGOS listings. Bizarre.

Bottom line: Does anyone have any ideas regarding what would cause the host channel setting to just go blank??? And how to keep it from doing so??

I think this may be the root problem.
post #648 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDboy View Post

Well, ladies and gentlemen...I got reliable TVGOS data for about three weeks after my hard reset on my 531. Guess what?? It's now gone again.

Yep -- no program listings or channel listings. I've checked the diagnostic screen and sure enough -- host channel is blank again. It seems that the core of this problem is that for some reason the host channel setting is lost and can only be re-acquired by a hard reset of the recorder -- which of course, makes you lose all your scheduled recordings.

What is also confusing about this, is that when you look at the scheduled listings (or do a search for programs) you can get results that show programs for 8 days out. It's as if the DVR 'knows' what the upcoming programs are even without the TVGOS listings. Bizarre.

Bottom line: Does anyone have any ideas regarding what would cause the host channel setting to just go blank??? And how to keep it from doing so??

I think this may be the root problem.

Unfortunately, the PIO TVGOS system seems to be a "sensitive" puppy, unable to survive weak or interrupted signals, squirrels chewing on phone lines, etc.

It appears that the data is still there somewhere but it can't display it in the user menu...I once got 5 days of listing in ~7 hours after a soft reset described below, apparently because the data was there, just not able to be displayed???

You can try a simple thing that works for me if you want. Go to TVG > SETUP > Change system settings, select the third choice "No...." and rekey everything...don't accept anything already there, re-enter zip and toggle the dual-choice answers. It may work for you.

In any case, once you get TVGOS back, make sure you DO NOT have more than one PBS/PTV channel ON at the same time. If you do, turn those PBS/PTV channels that are NOT the Host Chan OFF and tune them to 0 (zero). This eliminates any "competing" or confusing TVGOS downloads from those other potential Host Channels. (I know, Panasonics don't work this way and have no problem with multiple Hosts!)

|
|
|
post #649 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had a completely stable since doing my "fix" for over 7 conseutive weeks now. I think the problem with my 531 was either 1) too many channels for the memory of the recorder to handle or 2) two PBS stations in my cable lineup, which may have confused the 531 as to the right host station.

My fix is detailed in this thread and solved my problem 100%.

While the TVGOS signal may have it's own issues, it has proven to not be the culprit in the loss of information I was facing. Definitely something in the Pioneer recorder.
post #650 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I've had a completely stable since doing my "fix" for over 7 conseutive weeks now. I think the problem with my 531 was either 1) too many channels for the memory of the recorder to handle or 2) two PBS stations in my cable lineup, which may have confused the 531 as to the right host station.

My fix is detailed in this thread and solved my problem 100%.

While the TVGOS signal may have it's own issues, it has proven to not be the culprit in the loss of information I was facing. Definitely something in the Pioneer recorder.

Aydu,

I only show about 9 channels in my setup (OTA only no cable). I also only have one PBS station to contend with, which is what the Pio uses for it's host, although my toshiba appears to get data from a different host channel (not PBS). I break down just about every 2-3 weeks.

I'm running right now, but yesterday I noticed that both 7 and 8 days out had no listings, so I suspect I'm getting close to a rebuilding message.

I thought I followed same appraoch as you, but I'm going to check it again. unfortunately, I tried turning off my one PBS staion hoping it would find the other TVGOS broadcast, but that didn't work, it continued to use the turned off PBS channel as the host.

At this point I'm just randomly stumbling around, I don't really expect to find a resolution.

I think you're right, this is in the Pio, and needs to be fixed by Pioneer, like that's gonna happen.

I do have to admit, the recording quality is good to excellent. I have started to have some problems on the last 7 minutes of a 2 hour DVD. around the 1:53 mark the DVD player I normally use to play these is starting to not be happy,( freezing , pausing , etc.). The last time it happened, I tried it in back in the Pio and it played ok. But this hasnt happend yet with other DVD recorder I have, my player seems to play them through ok. I suspect it is either the DVD (fmost likely culprit) or recording mechanism, not likely, but possible.

Thanks, for keeping us apprised of your status.
Rick

Thanks,
Rick
post #651 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have started to have some problems on the last 7 minutes of a 2 hour DVD. around the 1:53 mark the DVD player I normally use to play these is starting to not be happy,( freezing , pausing , etc.). The last time it happened, I tried it in back in the Pio and it played ok. But this hasnt happend yet with other DVD recorder I have, my player seems to play them through ok.

It sounds like a marginal disk. If this is a recording you want to keep I highly recommend copying to a new disk (you can do this using the Pioneer's "backup disk" function).
post #652 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the PIO TVGOS system seems to be a "sensitive" puppy, unable to survive weak or interrupted signals, squirrels chewing on phone lines, etc.

It appears that the data is still there somewhere but it can't display it in the user menu...I once got 5 days of listing in ~7 hours after a soft reset described below, apparently because the data was there, just not able to be displayed???

You can try a simple thing that works for me if you want. Go to TVG > SETUP > Change system settings, select the third choice "No...." and rekey everything...don't accept anything already there, re-enter zip and toggle the dual-choice answers. It may work for you.

In any case, once you get TVGOS back, make sure you DO NOT have more than one PBS/PTV channel ON at the same time. If you do, turn those PBS/PTV channels that are NOT the Host Chan OFF and tune them to 0 (zero). This eliminates any "competing" or confusing TVGOS downloads from those other potential Host Channels. (I know, Panasonics don't work this way and have no problem with multiple Hosts!)

Yes, I've gone back through the soft reset procedure and rekeyed or toggled all entry fields...still no luck. Had it turned completely off last night after the reset and still had a blank host channel in the diagnostic screen this morning.

I have Time-warner 'extended, analog cable' and so have only one PBS channel anyway. All I can figure out is that if the number of channels does affect the memory then whenever I get full-function back (I'm just trying to avoid another 'hard reset' because losing all my scheduled recordings is very frustrating), I'll purge a lot of them. I currently receive (by default) about 65 channels.
post #653 of 859 Old 03-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It sounds like a marginal disk. If this is a recording you want to keep I highly recommend copying to a new disk (you can do this using the Pioneer's "backup disk" function).

I suspect that you're right. But no, they aren't material I plan to save, I mainly use the Pio like a VCR to watch things when I want rather than when networks want. I've put quite a few cycles on -RW DVD's.

Thanks,
Rick
post #654 of 859 Old 03-27-2006, 05:37 PM

I, too, had been having problems maintaining TVGOS listings for an extended period of time. I read aydu's "fix", and decided to try it. I did a soft reset and re-entered my setup info (I selected my own zip code, selected "yes" for cable, & "no" for cable box. I turned the recorder off overnight. When I got home from work the following day, I turned on the unit & was asked to select my cable company from the listings provided. I selected the second Comcast listing. After that, I believe I had the first, second & eighth day out worth of listings. I immediately went into the "channel edit" screen & turned off the other two PBS channels that I suspected may have been interfering with the EPG downloads. I have three PBS channels, but only one on my cable system provides data. I knew this because I went to the debug screen and saw that PBS channel 17 was my host channel. I made sure to leave that channel on in the "channel edit" screen. I then went in and "turned off" all of the channels that I knew I wouldn't want EPG data from (i.e. Home Shopping Network, Spanish language channels, etc.). I turned them off & tuned them to channel 1 because I know that channel 1 is a "tunable" channel which contains no picture or data on the cable in my area. After I was done, I ended up with about 17 "active channels". I later turned the unit off overnight, and the next day, had two more days worth of listings on the 17 channels that I had active. Over the next several days, the listings eventually filled out all 8 days, and I have had full listings for over 4 weeks now. I waited until I had 8 days worth of listings for about 3 days consecutively before I began to go back into the channel edit screen and "activate" more channels. I "turned on" a new channel every 2 days and still haven't lost any data or had any "rebuilding" screens. Like others have stated here previously, I believe that the culprit may have been either "competing" host channels, or having too many channels active at first, which may have not given the machine the chance to properly download EPG data for all of the active channels. I don't claim to be an expert on the Pioneer 633. Sorry for the long post, but this is my first posting on here, and I just thought I would put this out there for others who may be having problems maintaining guide listings..
post #655 of 859 Old 03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post

I, too, had been having problems maintaining TVGOS listings for an extended period of time. I read aydu's "fix", and decided to try it. I did a soft reset and re-entered my setup info (I selected my own zip code, selected "yes" for cable, & "no" for cable box. I turned the recorder off overnight. When I got home from work the following day, I turned on the unit & was asked to select my cable company from the listings provided. I selected the second Comcast listing. After that, I believe I had the first, second & eighth day out worth of listings. I immediately went into the "channel edit" screen & turned off the other two PBS channels that I suspected may have been interfering with the EPG downloads. I have three PBS channels, but only one on my cable system provides data. I knew this because I went to the debug screen and saw that PBS channel 17 was my host channel. I made sure to leave that channel on in the "channel edit" screen. I then went in and "turned off" all of the channels that I knew I wouldn't want EPG data from (i.e. Home Shopping Network, Spanish language channels, etc.). I turned them off & tuned them to channel 1 because I know that channel 1 is a "tunable" channel which contains no picture or data on the cable in my area. After I was done, I ended up with about 17 "active channels". I later turned the unit off overnight, and the next day, had two more days worth of listings on the 17 channels that I had active. Over the next several days, the listings eventually filled out all 8 days, and I have had full listings for over 4 weeks now. I waited until I had 8 days worth of listings for about 3 days consecutively before I began to go back into the channel edit screen and "activate" more channels. I "turned on" a new channel every 2 days and still haven't lost any data or had any "rebuilding" screens. Like others have stated here previously, I believe that the culprit may have been either "competing" host channels, or having too many channels active at first, which may have not given the machine the chance to properly download EPG data for all of the active channels. I don't claim to be an expert on the Pioneer 633. Sorry for the long post, but this is my first posting on here, and I just thought I would put this out there for others who may be having problems maintaining guide listings..

Thanks for info. sounds like more folks are having luck with this.

I've decided to try something completely different. My setup is OTA antenna to RF IN. Dish box to L1. As you all know, DISh is not compatible with TVGOS signal, I know that, no big deal, I download OTA via PBS host channel. It gives me my OTA channels in TVGOS, and I can set manual recordings for L1.

I typically lose my TVOGS data every 3 weeks or so. (only have about 7-9 stations active, still only lasts 3 weeks). This time, I've decided to say I have a cable box on L1, OTA on RF1. When given the choice to choose cable I picked one. Same for the cable box. Few hours later, I was give the channel listing, I went in and selcted only my OTA channels, and a few of the cable channels that had schedules matching my DISH line-up. I'm testing now to see if I can schedule using the guide, realizing that I'll have to manually set the DISH reciever channel (since the IR blaster isn't going to change anything on the reciever).

I'll let folks know what happens.

Rick
post #656 of 859 Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post

Over the next several days, the listings eventually filled out all 8 days, and I have had full listings for over 4 weeks now.

Please keep us updated by leaving another post in a couple of weeks (or even every couple of weeks if you are still so lucky.

My PIO 531 worked new out of the box for 3 or 4 months before I started having problems last November. I get about 2 to 3 weeks between 'resets'. I have only one PBS channel for my area.

The last couple of weeks I've been not albe to keep listing data for days 3, 4, 5 and 6. Each night days 1, 2, 7, and 8 refresh (which means day 6's listing drop out).
post #657 of 859 Old 03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My setup is OTA antenna to RF IN.

In addition to multiple PBS channels, the Pio TVGOS is sensitive to signal-strength. With your OTA setup, you might benefit from an amp or amplified splitter to increase your OTA signal strength (if you don't have one already).

One other person had a weak signal with his OTA antenna, but got good results when he replaced the antenna and increased his signal strength. Another person had poor results until he found a bad cable from the feed line and replaced it. I had TVGOS performance similar to yours until I found out my PBS Host station had an antenna fire and was operating at half power...that cleared up as soon as I replaced that station with another in my Host Channel slot.

|
|
|
post #658 of 859 Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an update on my progress with Adyu's method.

Actually, I haven't made any progress at all... I competely reset my machine (both the TVGOS and the general reset) back on March 4. Adyu had reported that his machine consistently lost TVGOS listings after it had downloaded all 8 days of listings, so before I removed or disabled channels I decided I'd wait to see how long it took for the listings to start disappearing. By doing this I'd know when to expect a TVGOS failure and have some confidence that I was getting somewhere if it stayed stable for longer than that.

Well, it's been over 3 weeks since my resets, and I haven't had any TVGOS problems even though I didn't alter my channel settings at all. Well, this past weekend my machine didn't get listings updates, but that seems to have been a delivery problem on the part of CTV (local host station here in Vancouver). The guide is still working just fine and new guide info started coming in today (Monday).

I'm going to just leave it running like this until something happens, at which time I'll do another reset and disable the channels I don't want. Of course, since I've reported that it's working OK the chances of a failure are now greatly increased.
post #659 of 859 Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In addition to multiple PBS channels, the Pio TVGOS is sensitive to signal-strength. With your OTA setup, you might benefit from an amp or amplified splitter to increase your OTA signal strength (if you don't have one already).

One other person had a weak signal with his OTA antenna, but got good results when he replaced the antenna and increased his signal strength. Another person had poor results until he found a bad cable from the feed line and replaced it. I had TVGOS performance similar to yours until I found out my PBS Host station had an antenna fire and was operating at half power...that cleared up as soon as I replaced that station with another in my Host Channel slot.

Thanks WAB, my signal strength should be pretty good based on results I have with digital signal meter.

I've treid cable switching and other most other suggestions floating around here.

Rick
post #660 of 859 Old 03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's an update on my progress with Adyu's method.

Actually, I haven't made any progress at all... I competely reset my machine (both the TVGOS and the general reset) back on March 4. Adyu had reported that his machine consistently lost TVGOS listings after it had downloaded all 8 days of listings, so before I removed or disabled channels I decided I'd wait to see how long it took for the listings to start disappearing. By doing this I'd know when to expect a TVGOS failure and have some confidence that I was getting somewhere if it stayed stable for longer than that.

Well, it's been over 3 weeks since my resets, and I haven't had any TVGOS problems even though I didn't alter my channel settings at all. Well, this past weekend my machine didn't get listings updates, but that seems to have been a delivery problem on the part of CTV (local host station here in Vancouver). The guide is still working just fine and new guide info started coming in today (Monday).

I'm going to just leave it running like this until something happens, at which time I'll do another reset and disable the channels I don't want. Of course, since I've reported that it's working OK the chances of a failure are now greatly increased.

Sean,

I'm a few hundred miles south of you in Portland. But curioulsy, most of my listings also starting failing over the weekend as well. Started last Friday. I decied to do a soft reset (so I could keep scheduled shows), and also mess with some other, off the wall ideas I have to get Satellite guide data ( in a way).

Rick
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page