Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 431 Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni_o View Post

Wabjxo - Just a quick note to say I solved my networking problem and its due to your reply message. I started thinking about the Internet Explorer setting as you mentioned and figured I should check different Internet browsers. I do some beta verification with Microsoft software releases and have been using their new Internet browser (IE-7). I have the newly released version on my laptop. So I connected my RD-XS54 to my desktop PC that still has the older Microsoft browser (IE-6) installed. My network problem went away as soon as I connected. So the home networking problem was with the new Microsoft IE-7 browser and not with the Toshiba setting or unit. I continued to check other browsers, Netscape and Foxfire, and both work just fine with the RD-XS54. So to network the RD-XS54 you need to use Microsoft IE-6, Netscape, or Foxfire as your browser.

So in summary, any Toshiba users trying to network their unit with a PC or Home Network, the Microsoft Internet Explorer IE-7 will NOT interface with the Toshiba RD-XS54 recorder. If you are currently networked and plan to switch to the new Microsoft browser, expect your network connect to fail.

Is there an update firmware for the RD-XS54?I own the RD-XS55,using IE6,connected to my PC without any problems(after disabling Nortons Anti program).

Love Life! Z scale, Lego, Kids and The Wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 431 Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Wabjxo - Just a quick note to say I solved my networking problem and its due to your reply message.

Glad I could help in a small way! Your finding on IE7 will probably help other XS54 users who are thinking of upgrading to Vista and IE7.

Did you hear that MS has delayed the release of Vista (and IE7) to January... maybe the problem you ran into w/IE7 will be one of the things they fix by then?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #273 of 431 Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 AM

Willypinhead,
Yes, there is a firmware update for the RD-XS54. I was made aware of this when I called Toshiba to complain about the unit locking up. They sent me a DVD with the new firmware on it, but would not say that it would solve the lock-up problem. However, after installing the new firmware, there have been no more lock-ups. I haven't tried to use the PC interface, so I don't know if this new firmware addresses any of those issues.
post #274 of 431 Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM

rpgoldberg ,

Sorry I could not get back to you right away. Basically what I had to do because my RD XS54 is not near my routers was to get a swicth and install it half way ( in the garage). I do recommend you to get the D link DI634M router is great, specially if you have vOIP. Ok this is where I am at with the issue I had, I mentioned that I have 2 public ip's with my modem so I ran the modem to a switch, connected my router to it, it got one of the ip's. then I connected the line coming from the RD XS-54 to the switch, checked the settings on the actual DVD to make sure it was set for auto. I was able to get the public IP from the modem and guess what, I am able to see everything that way, however a friend on mine that lives in Boston and another one that lives here in Tampa they are unable to do so. I think I am able to see the streaming because I have similar IP's ( same subnet). Another this is that I have not been able to get the email feature to work, I set up the box with my email info, pop3 and smtp and it does not program the time when I send an email as the manual says.

Kenni_o ,

You have to types of settings in the configuration of the box, you have to enter a user name an a password to get into remotely and another one for files transfer ( from another RD XS-54 located in the same network), just try to set the 2 of them with the same info, just go to Easy NAVI, SET UP, Network Setting and move to the first tap on the left ( Network NAVI) and use the same user name and password for both options there, hopefully that would help.

So basically I am unable to view the programming when the machine is behind a router and when connected directly to my modem only people with similar IP's can see it. I called the Toshiba help line and of course they were totally lost and did not even know what I was talking about ( FRUSTRATION GRRRRRRRRR). Anyway, at this point I think it has something to do with ports ( outgoing) or the RD-XS54 can only be viewed from inside a local network, PLEASE HELPPPPPPP!

thanks guys and once again I am sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Tico
post #275 of 431 Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 PM

******UPDATE******

I placed the RD-XS54 behind a router so I can also have network capabilities for my playstation 2. Originally I had user the port forward feature and forward port 80 to the static IP being used by the RD-XS54. Well as you know I was able to get to the main menu but no video, I went back to the port forward feature and routed from port 1 to port 65534 (basically all ports) to the RD-XS54 and guess what, I am able to see the streaming like that, I am using a port analyzer right now to see what are the remote ports connected to the PC where I have the streaming video being received. Several ports are open at the remote source, I will start blocking one at the time while the stream is on to see which one it is or which ones (they may be using a long range of ports), I'll let you know.

Tico from Tampa
post #276 of 431 Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM

you may have solved this already, but the default access port is 1048.
However, on my netgear router, I did not use any port forwarding and can use the streaming video.
Do you know of any hacks for this device?
post #277 of 431 Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM

I have tried for a year now to use the online firmware updater via Network NAV.
Never works.
thanks for the info on the firmware DVD. do you remember what dept you contacted for the update?
post #278 of 431 Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 AM

I just called the customer service number supplied by Toshiba with the RD-XS54 unit and talked to the customer service person that answered.
post #279 of 431 Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM

tico01,

Another this is that I have not been able to get the email feature to work, I set up the box with my email info, pop3 and smtp and it does not program the time when I send an email as the manual says.

Try sending the e-mail as text instead of HTML. Although I have been unable to actually record a program via e-mail on my rd-xs55, I was able to get an e-mail response back (a day later) from the unit about an incorrect date format from the e-mail that I originally sent.
post #280 of 431 Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 PM

bolkstofffump

I am able to see the streaming video as long as I am inside my network or in the same subnet, I cannot watch it from anywhere else and my friends cannot do so neither from their locations. I even have all the ports forward to the toshiba right now to test and see if it is a port issue, and nothing. I do not have any hack for this device, if I get any I will let you know, hopefully you'll do the same.

tipat56 ,

I am in the same boat, I have not been able to get this email stuff to work and trust me I am using plain text and following everything the manual explains. I need help, thanks guys

Tico
post #281 of 431 Old 11-23-2006, 08:27 AM

I was never able to get the email setup to work. I tried for weeks to figure it out.
Finally gave up.
I have not seen a hack anywhere for this. I actually called Toshiba and asked for the root user and password so I could setup a true network share with it, but was
DENIED!! by the man. crap.
It seems a shame that Toshiba limited the potential on this otherwise awesome device.
My one true complaint is, for some reason if I record a TV show, it always stops recording before the end. So I continually miss the last 2min or so.
Very frustrating when you are hooked on Heroes like I am.
post #282 of 431 Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 PM

I haven't tried the e-mail function yet, I'd just be happy to get the Net Monitor to work.

Assuming the RD-XS54 has similar functions to the RD-XS55 Does Anyone have experience of successfully setting up The Net Monitor function of the RD-XS55 ?

I can connect to the recorder through my wireless LAN to Network Navi and edit titles etc. But hitting Net Monitor just launches 2 new empty browser windows titled
rd-xs55/mainmenu/1

The same thing happens in both IE 6.0 and Netscape 7.2. I am also running Quick Time 7.1.3 although the Toshiba manual says that Net Monitor is not guaranteed to work for versions above 7.0.2 Is this just a disclaimer or would obtaining that version worthwhile?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #283 of 431 Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Hello,

As a RD-XS55 owner,I gotten the net monitor to work by disabling the anti-virus program,Nortons 2006.Follow the instructions to the "t" but before you actually connect from your PC to the unit,turn off all of your anti-virus programs.I won't use the "email" stuff cause of it.And trufully,I just don't need it.Give it a try.Different set-up(direct cable),same problem as yours and now net monitor works.

I also running the latest Quick Time without any mishaps.

Hope it works,Willy P.

Love Life! Z scale, Lego, Kids and The Wife!
post #284 of 431 Old 12-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Thanks very much Willy. It worked. I do not seem to have the option of turning off Norton Anti Virus individually But turning off the whole Norton Internet Security is what did it.
And now of course the inevitable next question. How do you allow your LAN access whilst blocking others. I assume it's a matter of allowing certain ports, but how do I find which port my LAN is using.

Alan
post #285 of 431 Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 PM

Well I solved that problem by dumping Norton and installing Zone Alarm, much more user friendly and intuitive.
post #286 of 431 Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Hello all, Ive had the XS54 for a little while now and had a few questions about the HDMI output. I have it hooked up to my HLS6188 and right now the HLS flashes a quick picture then goes to "weak signal" if I hook the XS54anyother way just fine. Also when I siwth to the HDMI output on my TV it shows 48-0I which I am guessing means 480I output, how would I change this to 720P or 1080I? I didnt see the selection available in the menu to switch it so that it upconverts the signal. I also see the HDMI light as "blue" on the front when I switched to the HDMI output Thank you for any help or information you can give me on this I really appreciate it.
post #287 of 431 Old 12-23-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willypinhead View Post

Hello,

As a RD-XS55 owner,I gotten the net monitor to work by disabling the anti-virus program,Nortons 2006.Follow the instructions to the "t" but before you actually connect from your PC to the unit,turn off all of your anti-virus programs.I won't use the "email" stuff cause of it.And trufully,I just don't need it.Give it a try.Different set-up(direct cable),same problem as yours and now net monitor works.

I also running the latest Quick Time without any mishaps.

Hope it works,Willy P.

I am considering buy and RD-XS 55, could you tell me how the PQ compares to a Sony. I am not Happy with Pioneer or Panny PQ.

"Sometimes if we keep our eyes and ears open, we may be surpised at what wisdom we may gain!"
post #288 of 431 Old 12-27-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Hello all, Ive had the XS54 for a little while now and had a few questions about the HDMI output. I have it hooked up to my HLS6188 and right now the HLS flashes a quick picture then goes to "weak signal" if I hook the XS54anyother way just fine. Also when I siwth to the HDMI output on my TV it shows 48-0I which I am guessing means 480I output, how would I change this to 720P or 1080I? I didnt see the selection available in the menu to switch it so that it upconverts the signal. I also see the HDMI light as "blue" on the front when I switched to the HDMI output Thank you for any help or information you can give me on this I really appreciate it.

Hi Ph8te, have you found your answers yet? I don't see any responses so here is some of your answers 1) "Weak Signal" this is a new one for me. I have my HDMI working just fine but have not see this message. My question would be how long is your HDMI cable? I do know there is a limit on the length of the cable run but not sure what it is. 2) Yes you are seeing the output of the XS54 at 480I - to change that open up the cover of your remote control, second row of button from the right starting with Audio, the next button down is labeled PROG/HDMI. Everytime you press that button, you will change the output resulation. On your HDMI connection, you will cycle from 480I to 480P to 720P to 1080I then back to 480I. If you also connect your XS54 using componet cables, using that button will cycle from 480I to 480p to 480p to 480P then back to 480I. There are 4 positions on the output so componet only goes from 480I to 480P. By the way, you can use both connections (HDMI and Componet) at the same time as the XS54 will output both simultaneously, so you can switch back and forth using your input selector on your HLS6188.

Have a great day!

Ken
post #289 of 431 Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots1 View Post

I am considering buy and RD-XS 55, could you tell me how the PQ compares to a Sony. I am not Happy with Pioneer or Panny PQ.

HI goots1 - I have the XS54 (I believe they are the same hardware but the 55 has new upgraded firmware) and I also have a Panny recorder (P-scan only). Of course the HDMI - upscan is much better in picture quality and color. I've compared both on the componet output side and the XS54 will win that one too. That being said, I have an old Denon 2800II player that IMO blows both away with its P-Scan output. But that just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Have a great day!

Ken
post #290 of 431 Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Ph8te, have you found your answers yet? I don't see any responses so here is some of your answers 1) "Weak Signal" this is a new one for me. I have my HDMI working just fine but have not see this message. My question would be how long is your HDMI cable? I do know there is a limit on the length of the cable run but not sure what it is. 2) Yes you are seeing the output of the XS54 at 480I - to change that open up the cover of your remote control, second row of button from the right starting with Audio, the next button down is labeled PROG/HDMI. Everytime you press that button, you will change the output resulation. On your HDMI connection, you will cycle from 480I to 480P to 720P to 1080I then back to 480I. If you also connect your XS54 using componet cables, using that button will cycle from 480I to 480p to 480p to 480P then back to 480I. There are 4 positions on the output so componet only goes from 480I to 480P. By the way, you can use both connections (HDMI and Componet) at the same time as the XS54 will output both simultaneously, so you can switch back and forth using your input selector on your HLS6188.

Thank you for the response never quite got an answer, but I did figure out about the 480I thing and switching it, but that made little difference. It seems as if the Toshiba is having handshake issues with my Sammy and that could be the cause. Since I get a "Flash" of picture and sound then to "no signal" via the HDMI. I called Toshiba Support and was walked through all the steps they do, but nothing worked so they are going to send me the new Firmware (I have an ooold version which also could be the cause) So when the New Firmware gets here hopefully that will solve my problems.

For now I have it hooked up through component and that will suffice until I can figure out the HDMI issue.

THank you again for the response, it is much appreciated.
post #291 of 431 Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the response never quite got an answer, but I did figure out about the 480I thing and switching it, but that made little difference. It seems as if the Toshiba is having handshake issues with my Sammy and that could be the cause. Since I get a "Flash" of picture and sound then to "no signal" via the HDMI. I called Toshiba Support and was walked through all the steps they do, but nothing worked so they are going to send me the new Firmware (I have an ooold version which also could be the cause) So when the New Firmware gets here hopefully that will solve my problems.

For now I have it hooked up through component and that will suffice until I can figure out the HDMI issue.

THank you again for the response, it is much appreciated.

Ph8te - You are welcome .... will try to help anytime. I've already upgraded to the new firmware but I did not have many issues with the HDMI connection to my Sony before the firmware upgrade. The new firmware did stop the XS54 from hanging and having to do a hard reset via the power button. I did have a couple of sync issues when I first got the machine but there were only 2 times when the HDMI went south. When I would restart the machine the HDMI would come back. I haven't had that problem in months. Good luck with the new firmware, be carefull to follow their instructions completely and I remember it taking much longer for the XS to load and restart than they indicated so just be patient when installing it.

Have a great day!

Ken
post #292 of 431 Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey everyone... I was thinking about buying a DVD Recorder/HDD combo and was curious about the Toshiba RD-XS55. Not sure if the Toshiba RD-XS54 is the same as the Toshiba RD-XS55 but I seen some people posting about it here. This will be my first DVD Recorder/HDD Combo unit. I wanted to know if the Toshiba RD-XS55 was a good unit to go with or is there something better for this price range? Also not really sure but can the Toshiba RD-XS55 read/record DVD-DL? Thanks!
post #293 of 431 Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ph8te - You are welcome .... will try to help anytime. I've already upgraded to the new firmware but I did not have many issues with the HDMI connection to my Sony before the firmware upgrade. The new firmware did stop the XS54 from hanging and having to do a hard reset via the power button. I did have a couple of sync issues when I first got the machine but there were only 2 times when the HDMI went south. When I would restart the machine the HDMI would come back. I haven't had that problem in months. Good luck with the new firmware, be carefull to follow their instructions completely and I remember it taking much longer for the XS to load and restart than they indicated so just be patient when installing it.

Ken,

Well I received the Firmware today and installed it successfully. The HDMI problem though still persists I have my HDDVR hooked up via HDMI and it works fine (it goes from Weak signal to Picture) The 54 still goes from picture to "Weak Signal") So I think I have ruled that the problem is with the Xs54 not the TV. there is something going on with the handshake that isnt agreeing with each other which really disappointed me as I was looking forward to using this as an upscaling DVD player.
post #294 of 431 Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Ken,

Well I received the Firmware today and installed it successfully. The HDMI problem though still persists I have my HDDVR hooked up via HDMI and it works fine (it goes from Weak signal to Picture) The 54 still goes from picture to "Weak Signal") So I think I have ruled that the problem is with the Xs54 not the TV. there is something going on with the handshake that isnt agreeing with each other which really disappointed me as I was looking forward to using this as an upscaling DVD player.

Ph8te - Wish I could be of more help. Must be a HDMI interface issue but thats a guess. Have you tried a hard reset of your machine? You can hold down the power button for 10 seconds I believe and the machine will reboot. I would try that if I were you. You can find information on the hard reset in the very back of the manual in the troubleshooting section. Good luck!!!

Have a great day!

Ken
post #295 of 431 Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:

HI goots1 - I have the XS54 (I believe they are the same hardware but the 55 has new upgraded firmware) and I also have a Panny recorder (P-scan only). Of course the HDMI - upscan is much better in picture quality and color. I've compared both on the componet output side and the XS54 will win that one too. That being said, I have an old Denon 2800II player that IMO blows both away with its P-Scan output. But that just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

I picked up an RD-XS35 and am truly impressed with everything about the machine. I am very happy with it... in fact I ordered an RD-XS55. Looks Like Toshiba has taken over as my favorite machine.

"Sometimes if we keep our eyes and ears open, we may be surpised at what wisdom we may gain!"
post #296 of 431 Old 01-09-2007, 03:42 PM

can anyone please tell me if with this toshiba XS35, you can set chapter thumbnails on a recording on the hard drive, and still have them when you copy it to a dvd?? thanks for any help on this?
post #297 of 431 Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ph8te - Wish I could be of more help. Must be a HDMI interface issue but thats a guess. Have you tried a hard reset of your machine? You can hold down the power button for 10 seconds I believe and the machine will reboot. I would try that if I were you. You can find information on the hard reset in the very back of the manual in the troubleshooting section. Good luck!!!

Yeah Hard Reset and all stil not working I am about to give up and get soemthign else....It was actually funny yesterday the power got cut off to my Apt (they were doing work) I went back to the TV and tried a couple times to get it to work. Well it went to the "Err-3C" and it would give me a picture off and on through HDMI even though the HDMI light was off, switched inputs and the error went away, but so did the semi handshake that was goign on.

I am guessing that there is something going on with the Toshiba Handshake with my Samsung TV. it is really disappointing as I was looking forward to watching the upscaled DVDs on my new TV. In the End I narrowed it down to the Tosh unit though as I have the HDDVR fromt he Cable Co set up and it is working perfectly through the HDMI connection.

THanks for all of the Help
post #298 of 431 Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM

I have an XS-54 that will not connect to a DVI monitor (via hdmi to dvi cable) unless the monitor is hdcp compliant. Unless that compliance is there we had the exact same issue. Very frustrating. I purchased a 17" monitor with DVI for that very reason, then had to take it back and purchase a different one. The goal was to connect the same monitor to a pc via vga and the XS-54 via dvi. Now it works, BUT every time you switch the monitor from dvi input to vga the XS-54 goes nuts and flashes the ERR-3C code until you either unplug the hdmi cable or switch back to dvi input. You'd think somebody at Toshiba would have been smart enough to address a loss of signal and not handcuff the entire machine until the connection was restored.
post #299 of 431 Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM

Tosiba RD XS54 & XS55 owners..........

Can I undelete a title which I deleted from the hdd?
post #300 of 431 Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcav View Post

Tosiba RD XS54 & XS55 owners..........

Can I undelete a title which I deleted from the hdd?

No.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)