Toshiba RD-XS54 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for all the quick responses. I called toshiba and they are sending the update disk. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Sort of an odd twist, The first time I reset the guide and time. I am pretty sure it repopulated the tv guide fairly quickly(less than 12 hours). the 2nd time I reset it, it has yet to repopulate. Its been more than 24hrs since the last reset. I would try it again, but I had to program all the scheduled events manually and 1 hour early and I don't want to do that again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Well, I got the update disc today and I followed the update procedure. It appears the update worked as it now says its yr1100/mt18.

But the clock is still an hour off and its still not populating the tv guide. I tried unplugging the rd-xs54 and resetting the clock and guide and still its 1 hour off and no tv guide.

I assume the hour off will fix itself on sunday, but that will be a temporary fix I wll try to call toshiba and see what that have to say.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2084 View Post

Well, I got the update disc today and I followed the update procedure. It appears the update worked as it now says its yr1100/mt18.

But the clock is still an hour off and its still not populating the tv guide. I tried unplugging the rd-xs54 and resetting the clock and guide and still its 1 hour off and no tv guide.

I assume the hour off will fix itself on sunday, but that will be a temporary fix I wll try to call toshiba and see what that have to say.

Mrbill2084 - I may be able to help a little, but I need to know how you are getting the TV Guide data. Are you using OTA to reach a local PBS station or are you using a cable channel? If you are using cable to reach the PBS station, do you know if your cable supplier is picking up the Analog or Digital broadcast of the PBS station? With those answers, I maybe know what your problem is.

Have a great day!

Ken
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 AM

thanks for the help. I am using comcast digital cable. No cable box.

After entering my zip code the box finds 3 possible choices and I select comcast digital (other options are comcast rebuild, and the gc&c villages).

I called on toshiba saturday they told me to call back on monday to speak with the asg group. Hope that works.

Just to add info, I also have a panasonic dmr-e85h, a toshiba rs-tx20, and a toshiba rd-xs35 and all are functioning fine.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2084 View Post

thanks for the help. I am using comcast digital cable. No cable box.

After entering my zip code the box finds 3 possible choices and I select comcast digital (other options are comcast rebuild, and the gc&c villages).

I called on Toshiba saturday they told me to call back on monday to speak with the asg group. Hope that works.

Just to add info, I also have a panasonic dmr-e85h, a toshiba rs-tx20, and a toshiba rd-xs35 and all are functioning fine.

Well that takes care of my theory. I also have a XS54 that didn't get the guide after my first week of ownership. I was getting a clock sync but lost the guide info. With the help of Toshiba going into the firmware captures, we found that Cablevision here had switched all local feeds including PBS from their analog to digital broadcasts. That ended my TV Guide data. The guide data is not transmitted in the digital broadcasts, only the analog. My fix was to pick the guide info using OTA. But if your other units are getting the guide information, you must be still getting analog stations. But come 2009, you will loose that too unless they find a fix for the digital stations carrying the Guide information.

Toshiba should be able to help you read out the infomation captures in the firmware and see if you getting a guide station and collecting any information at all.

Have a great day!

Ken
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Well, I finally go ahold of toshiba. The simple answer was to tell it to accept the comcast rebuild option over the comcast digital option.

As soon as I did that, it had a pretty filled up tv guide. So, I don't know if that means I have a problem with the digital section as ken mentioned. Althogh I would not bet my life, I think it was working before set on the comcast digital option.

Well, now I have to go deal with my toshiba rd-xs35. Last night I was trying to put some data on an dvd-rw disc and it crashed formatting at 28%. I used the xs54 to format the disc and then tried to write to that disc in the xs35 and it gave me an error 14.

I asked toshiba guy abut it and he said just unplug it for 2 min and then plug it back in should fix it. I just don't want to loose tv guide data now, so I think I will try it this weekend.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a problem. When the XS-54 sits for a while it looses the network connection and i have to unplug it to reset it to get the connection back. Tonight i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's just sitting in "Wait" status. The recorder won't boot up at all. I've tried unplugging it a couple of times but no go.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to do a factory reset on power up. Like holding the power button (or other buttons) while plugging the unit in. I just can't get this to start up. It just stays in wait mode. No picture on the tv at all. I tried swapping the hard drive but that didn't do anything either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM

Holding the power button in for about ten seconds is probably your best shot. There are a few other reset procedures in posts in the Toshiba HDD swap thread, but they all work via the remote, and if the unit is hung on wait, it probably won't respond to the remote. But heck, try them too.

The only XS I've run across that got stuck on wait didn't respond to anything except holding the power button in. The power led blinked and the fan restarted, but it still hung on wait. You could try leaving both the HDD and burner data and power cables unplugged and see if you get any kind of error. If you don't, it's likely a bad pc board, corrupted firmware, etc.

You did unplug everything (network, video, audio, etc.) from the XS54, right?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to hack into this machine hard drive, perhaps to ftp contents from a PC or a NAS device? If anyone has, I would like to get some feedback. I have tried to sniff to find the open ports on this unit but to no avail.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Buk

I'm really getting frustrated with this recent time change. I can not get the clock correct. I have reset, set, powered off, reprogrammed the unit repeatedly and cannot get the correct time to stick. I even tried switching to a different time zone to see if I could "trick" it to the correct time. I would really like this fixed as the writers strike is over and new shows are starting up.

Yes, I have the latest firmware. Cable is plugged straight into the unit and not through the cable box. Cable box has correct time and TV guide and even the TV has the correct time and TV guide.

Advice anyone.

Buk
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do you have it set for "manual set"? Try not letting it set automatically-- I have a JVC VCR that when on "auto" it basically just randomly adjusts the clock (nothing else does that). Must be a glitch of the signal. But try putting it on manual setting, and summer time off.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Buk

Perhaps I don't have the latest firmware. After resetting time repeatedly over the last couple of weeks, the unit has finally got the right time on it. Isn't this the usual "spring ahead" weekend?

I'm guessing I have to go through this again at the next time change.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Buk

I spoke too soon. I woke up this morning and the clock is wrong again.

Just keep trying or buy something new....

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM

My God!!!!
How do you get this thing to switch inputs?

Cable Box on L-1
OTA antennae on RF In.

Pressing Input Select or CH/Page changes channels on the cable box instead of changing inputs.

Help me Obi-Wan you're my only hope.

Later, Conrad
Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Conrad - Input Select cycles thru all the inputs just fine on my XS54. Maybe pop out the remote batteries?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Is there anyway to do a factory reset on power up. Like holding the power button (or other buttons) while plugging the unit in. I just can't get this to start up. It just stays in wait mode. No picture on the tv at all. I tried swapping the hard drive but that didn't do anything either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I ended up sending the unit in for repair under the extended warranty i purchased. They told me it would cost too much to repair and offered me a toshiba DVD/VHS recorder. It told them NO WAY. That's not even close. 2 weeks later they called and offered me a Polaroid with 160gb hard drive. I have a polaroid and they might as well smacked me in the face. After a lenghty discussion with them telling them that other than a XS54 or XS55 there isn't another machine ever built that would compare. Finally they offered me my purchase price back and i finally accepted that. So i will get my full price paid back but no longer have the wonderful XS54. Can't even find them on ebay anymore. I guess the $17.99 i paid for the extended warranty paid off but still would rather have my recorder back......
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Burnerbum,

Sorry to hear about that. Have you considered building an HTCP?

Rick,

Its the strangest thing. If I hit Input Select 4 or 5 times then hit CH/Page down it will finally switch inputs to the RF In. But if I stop on L-1 it gets stuck again. Called Toshiba this morning for the firmware update before I discovered this problem. Hopefully that will fix it. Kinda doubt it though.

My trusty old SX32 was sure nice but its time for it to retire...it picks up a bit of interference internally I think...got what looks like RF interference like its not shielded well...got tired of it. Its also getting error-14 again. What's interesting is that if I dub the recorded program HDD to HDD then it will burn the dub to DVD every time.

I have to say the techs at Toshiba were very helpful and eager to please. No questions asked when I requested the SX54 firmware update. They immediately switched me to a higher level of support if they didn't know the answer to a question. I really hope Toshiba gets into the BD game with a new DVR.

Later, Conrad
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Could there be a new firmware update out? I haven't read much here lately but the firmware disc Toshiba just sent is YR1200. Just finished upgrading...will check it out later. Looks like it saved some of the settings. Network settings are still there and connection check works.

Conrad
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post

Did you leave the DVD in the drive when you unplugged the XS54? That's the only problem I've had with this burner switch, as I mentioned in an earlier post. If so, you'll have to eject the DVD using the LG eject button, not the XS54 eject button.

Brilliant! As always, AVS Forum users help me snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Thanks a billion.

glg
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Did you leave the DVD in the drive when you unplugged the XS54? That's the only problem I've had with this burner switch, as I mentioned in an earlier post. If so, you'll have to eject the DVD using the LG eject button, not the XS54 eject button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgehman2 View Post

Brilliant! As always, AVS Forum users help me snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Thanks a billion.

glg

Might be a dumb question, but just wondering (in case I have a similar problem with my RD-XS34) what is the "LG eject button"?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

Might be a dumb question, but just wondering (in case I have a similar problem with my RD-XS34) what is the "LG eject button"?

It's the physical eject button on front of the LG (or any) burner, as opposed to the "soft" eject buttons on the remote or on the XS54/XS34 front panel. I've found that with the XS54 and some(?) LG replacement burners, you'll get a 70xx series error if there is a disc in the burner after the unit has been unplugged. There's no problem unplugging with an empty burner or with normal unit power on/off cycles. This doesn't happen on my XS32 with the identical burner, and doesn't happen in the XS54 with a Memorex burner. Only the LG. I don't know which other XS models or XS/burner combos may react similarly, so keep this in mind if all was well before a power outage, and all of a sudden you get that dreaded beeping and error display.

glgehman2 - You're very welcome.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:

It's the physical eject button on front of the LG (or any) burner, as opposed to the "soft" eject buttons on the remote or on the XS54/XS34 front panel.....

I'm assuming you have to open the (DVD Recorder) case to get at this button?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

I'm assuming you have to open the (DVD Recorder) case to get at this button?

I mounted the burner so that there's a 1/4 inch gap between the front of the burner and the XS54 front panel. I can easily use a bent paperclip to press the button. I might drill a very small hole at an angle through the inner plastic panel, equivalent to the paperclip eject hole in a burner faceplate. It would be behind the XS54 door, so it wouldn't normally be visible.

Other than the first time this happpened, when it took lots of headscratching and switching burners to figure out the problem, and twice when the power went out, I haven't forgotten...yet...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM

Folks, I have a toshiba x32. I want another HDD/DVD as the burner has died after 3 years. It will cose $160 to fix and I can probably get a used for for the same. Long story short: my needs are 1) IR blaster or something so the cable box will change channels while Im away 2) record HDD to DVD and DVD to HDD 3) Can play and record at the same time.

So far only toshiba seems to have these qualities. My question is 1) does indeed the RDXS54 do all these things and what differentiates it (good or bad 0from the X32. 2) if anyone has other suggestions for good products that I missed in spite of my weeks of research, id be happy to hear them.

Hope this isnt well trod material but I tried my best to research this forum before posting.
Best.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Is there a download available anywhere for the latest xs54 firmware? Or must you contact toshiba for it (and consequently await its arrival via snail mail).
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephew View Post

Folks, I have a toshiba x32. I want another HDD/DVD as the burner has died after 3 years. It will cose $160 to fix and I can probably get a used for for the same. Long story short: my needs are 1) IR blaster or something so the cable box will change channels while Im away 2) record HDD to DVD and DVD to HDD 3) Can play and record at the same time.

So far only toshiba seems to have these qualities. My question is 1) does indeed the RDXS54 do all these things and what differentiates it (good or bad 0from the X32. 2) if anyone has other suggestions for good products that I missed in spite of my weeks of research, id be happy to hear them.

Hope this isnt well trod material but I tried my best to research this forum before posting.
Best.

I love my XS54, and it's a better overall unit than my XS32. The downsides to the XS54: TVGOS, which I intensely dislike. I prefer the wider range of manual timer record settings on the XS32. The XS54 fan runs all the time, even when the unit is off, which can be quite noticeable in a bedroom.

Check out the Tosh XS32 burner thread, as many of us have easily replaced the XS32 burner for under $40. If you can change a pc burner, you can probably do this easily.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstone View Post

Is there a download available anywhere for the latest xs54 firmware? Or must you contact toshiba for it (and consequently await its arrival via snail mail).

I haven't found the XS54 firmware anywhere online.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks. Somewhat curious of them. I'll continue to hold (now playing: Enya)
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I love my XS54, and it's a better overall unit than my XS32. The downsides to the XS54: TVGOS, which I intensely dislike. I prefer the wider range of manual timer record settings on the XS32. The XS54 fan runs all the time, even when the unit is off, which can be quite noticeable in a bedroom.

Check out the Tosh XS32 burner thread, as many of us have easily replaced the XS32 burner for under $40. If you can change a pc burner, you can probably do this easily.

RickC thank you! Toshiba customer service, while helpful, estimated repleacement cos at $165. Two questions
1) Do you have a link to your thread.
2) Also what's different about the xs54? Thanks again!
Steph