Toshiba RD-XS54 - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 431 Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so...no one has the IRs captured for this thing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 431 Old 07-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk View Post

They have switched some of the customers to full digital already. So the RD-XS gets it's TV Guide from an analog channel, a local public television channel. That channel is now digital for me, so I no longer get the listings.

So the RD-XS must have a digital tuner and I get the channels that are not encrypted and the RD-XS does not understand the channel carrying the TV Guide info.

Don't know if this makes sense, but I think this is a warning to RD-XS owners that if you still have the RD-XS after the nationwide digital switch you may not get the TV Guide listings anymore unless Toshiba offers a fix. Although I haven't contacted Toshiba, so they may already have something available.

Thanks for the interest.

I just took my xs54 out after returning my sciatlanta box back to cablevision (still resentful about their HD tier shenanigans) and can confirm that I'm not getting tvgos updates (Westchester County NY). I'm assuming there's no firmware fix possible. What's the least ugly way to get tvgos info into the toshiba now?
post #423 of 431 Old 08-07-2009, 06:44 PM

The error code explanations:

ER7071: DVD drive recognition failure. Check the contact of the cable.
ER7031, ER7061 and other errors: HDD error often. Additional HDD newer.

There are more info available. Translation is sometimes not very clear, but some information are interesting, especially for models RD-XS32 and RD-XS35. It also looks that Japanese model RD-XS57 & RD-XS37 are equivalewnt for RD-XS54 & RD-XS34 (our US models.) The table chart with compatibility of new DVD burners is interesting (especially double-click "OPEN/CLOSE" button on the remote) to get work Panasonic SW-958x burner models in XS recorders.

The translation of codes are from this website link - translated from Japanese (using Google translate feature):

y30.net/rdxs-e/rdwiki/wiki.php?DVD%B4%B9%C1%F5

There is also explanation and link with step-by-step procedure and pictures to repair SW-9573-S drive (identical to SW-9574-E in design).
post #424 of 431 Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ran a search but could not find a Tosh DR410 thread thought maybe somebody here could answer this question. When checking out a refurb unit the specs say that DVD Ram is one of it's formats. Then I hear that it is not compatible with ram.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #425 of 431 Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 83
This looks like the largest 410 thread at AVS.
post #426 of 431 Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Hello, all

Am looking for an in-op SE-R0199 remote control. I need a case in good condition to replace one that's been thoroughly chewed.

If you have one that's not functional, please PMmaybe we can do each other some good.

Thx.

Shenzie
post #427 of 431 Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 PM

About six months ago I stopped receiving updates for TVGOS. Upon inquiring at the local PBS station, I was informed that they would not do this anymore. Toshiba tech support verified this and said that CBS had taken over this support. After many months and three readings of special data from the RD-XS54 to the tech rep over the phone, I started receiving TVGOS updates again.
post #428 of 431 Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Hi I am new to this site, have been doing a lot of reading about the Toshiba RD XS54 model but don't think I found an answer, if anyone could help me out in figuring out the problem of my Toshiba player. I have never used if for recording the DVDs, only used it for recording on the memory, then watched and deleted the titles. I can only watch the titles, it doesn't function any more. the content menu loads very long and some files don't show up. Can not record anything or even delete the titles that I have. Can someone please let me know if there is anything that I can do to fix this problem. If there is anything that I can buy and replace or is my unit now completely useless. Thank you for the help. Oh and when the unit is powered on here is the message that I get on the TV screen. "There is a problem with HDD. Playback is the only option available. Contact service center."
post #429 of 431 Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM

If your HDD "died", there is a thread with HDD swapping for all RD-XS models.
post #430 of 431 Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM

I have RD-XS55 and it worked on the home network fine until recently. When I last time edited title names through the PC on the same network, connection was crashing frequently, and suddenly never returned back.

I am using Firefox 3.0.19 under Windows XP, and RD-XS55 is connected to the Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with always-on Internet connection. I can see RD-XS55 through McAfee Security Center being on the home network, but it is impossible to connect RD-XS55 to computer anymore and be able to use Network Navi feature. I even tried crossover cable connection directly to the laptop, no luck either.

I did exactly the same network setting for RD-XS55 (as I did with RD-XS54 when it was present on the network), but nothing worked to get the network connection back for XS55.

While it bothers me, I can still live without network connection with XS55. Atr least, my RD-XS54 has no problem with a direct connection to PC for easy title name editing using a laptop keyboard. It is a mystery why RD-XS55 does not work, both models have the exactly same features.

Could it be in FW? I have FW version XH1000 on RD-XS55. Or did the network connector became bad on RDXS55? Or does FW got corrupted somehow?

It bothers me for one reason - I cannot edit tiltle names on RD-XS55 anymore. Everytime when I choose "edit title name" using a remote control, a message "NET KEYBOARD IS STARTING" pops up on the screen with a green highlighted option to "Cancel" only. There is only one way to get rid of it, by pressing "Enter", however, the menu for title name editing closes as well. And when I to repeat the process, and it's the same message again.

In conclusion, I am stuck, I cannot connect RD-XS55 to the network, and I cannot edit title names using a remote control. I tried to burn video files to DVD-R hoping to finish title name editing and finalizing the DVD in RD-XS54; however, to my surprise, RD-XS54 cannot recognize not finalized DVD-R from RD-XS55 (quite strange, too.)

Did anyone experienced anything similar? If yes, is there any solution to re-new title names editing feature using a remote control?

Is there any way to do a factory reset (without deleting contents of the HDD)? I looked throught the whole manual, but it does seem that Toshiba has not anything like that.
post #431 of 431 Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 PM

I solved both problems by unplugging the Linksys router, the cable modem and the dvd recorder from the AC outlet for 5 minutes. Then I plugged everything back and I made all network settings configuration on RD-XS55 again.
I have RD-XS55 back on the network, Network Navi works great, and I can edit title names using a remote control. Very few times, there are very simple solutions to our "big" problems.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page