Toshiba RD-XS54 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 431 Old 06-04-2006, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using that DVR with the HDMI to DVI cable adapter to a Sammy HLN467W (46" DLP widescreen that has 720p resolution) and also have the DVR set for 720p output. I'm very satisfied with the output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 431 Old 06-04-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might be seeing similar artifacts when you say the "noise" varies during a movie?

This video noise is not around edges. It is most noticeable on light backgrounds and might better described as a graininess, and not really noticeable unless you focus on it. I'll try the 720p idea that both of you suggested. However, from your experience and knowledge, do you think that a high-quality stand-alone player would offer an improvement? Thanks again for your help.
post #183 of 431 Old 06-04-2006, 09:15 PM

I do not truly consider myself a videophile/audiophile even though I have quite a bit of experience with what I would consider prosumer to entry-level pro equipment at best. As such, I can say this...other than the fact that it could not play anything, the Bravo D1 was the first DVD player to make me actually unhook a Pioneer Elite player using component video (long-since forgotten the model number, but it was well up there...nevertheless, that model was quite impressive, IMHO). Since the D1, I could not find a player under $1k that had equivalent PQ until this one. Given that I could never get many discs to play on the D1 that still sits in the corner collecting dust, I never did get to do a detailed comparison, but for DVI-based 720p upsampled output (which both units offer), I have not seen anything better on my 720p DLP set. That being said, the component video looks so bad from every unit I have tried now (including this same DVR) that I can only assume my component inputs to be faulty or I've become terribly spoiled.

I do not see the graininess you speak of with DVDs, but I do see it with TV material which is output on S-Video (for the reason mentioned above) and whose signal is simply analog cable.
post #184 of 431 Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

It's very fine and not objectionable. it could also be the SXRD has resolution that is showing this. It is VERY minor, and can barely be seen at normal viewing distances on certain backgrounds, and only if I focus. Reviews I have read of the xs-34 have described the playback of maufactured (i.e. commercial) and home-made discs as superb, and the specs for the xs-54 I believe are identical except for the addition of the HDMI. It could be me being overly critical. I'd consider buying a dedicated, top-end unit (Denon 3910?) if I though it would remove it but I don't know for sure that it is the Toshiba. It could be the way the discs are printed or the SXRD resolution, or a cable, or maybe this is just how DVD is - i.e. great, but not perfect. If anyone else has a view, I'd appreciate it, and thanks for the repsonses so far.
post #185 of 431 Old 06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Try turning sharpness all the way down and use a calibration disk to reduce contrast and brightness.

You might find better pic quality through component cable (Perfect Vision found only 1 very expensive Denon upscaling DVD player did better through HDMI).

You might also try the 480p setting.

ericlhyman
post #186 of 431 Old 06-12-2006, 12:37 AM

Liked: 11
I purchased the RD-XS54 about 2 months ago and have been very impressed with all its features with the exception of the menus not being that intuitive.

The only problem I have experienced is connecting an HDMI cable to my TV would lock the RD-XS54 and require a hard reset. After experimenting for a while I noticed that the problem did not occur when I actually made the connection, but actually when I switch the video input of my TV to HDMI. It seems like when the Toshiba is trying to communicate with the television it just locks up.

An online check did not reveal any software upgrades, and when I called tech support (btw - excellent support) they indicated that there was new firmware available via mail only, or send the unit back for repair. I opted to test out the new firmware, which did not help.

I am now waiting to get all my recording off the HD in order to send it in for repair.

Has anyone experienced any similar problem with HDMI? I am wondering how many users are using HDMI.

PH.
post #187 of 431 Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by phussary View Post

The only problem I have experienced is connecting an HDMI cable to my TV would lock the RD-XS54 and require a hard reset. After experimenting for a while I noticed that the problem did not occur when I actually made the connection, but actually when I switch the video input of my TV to HDMI. It seems like when the Toshiba is trying to communicate with the television it just locks up.

If you haven't tried this, turn the TV to HDMI input, then turn both units off. Hook up the HDMI, then turn both units on. (Most all DVRs and TVs advise making connections with power off and maybe yours are the "sensitive" types?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #188 of 431 Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

If you haven't tried this, turn the TV to HDMI input, then turn both units off. Hook up the HDMI, then turn both units on. (Most all DVRs and TVs advise making connections with power off and maybe yours are the "sensitive" types?)

I have tried every combination I could think of and went over them all again with Toshiba support. The DVR seems to just lock up and not respond to any commands either from the remote or the front panel. The only way to get it operational again is to either disconnect the HDMI cable or change the TV input to something other than HDMI and then depress the power switch for about 10 seconds or unplug the power.

I am wondering if this was one of the reasons Toshiba discontinued the product soon after it was released. They may have had a bad batch of HDMI hardware?

I just love this unit and am willing to live without the HDMI output. Its best feature is the ability to control and view tv/dvds on any computer around my home over my home network using a java enabled browser. I also tried it remotely from my work but did not get any video, all I could do was turn the unit on and off. I think it has to do with my firewall at home and will investigate this further at a later time.

The only issue I have with this recorder is the timeslip function is always about 10 seconds behind live tv. It is very frustrating when you are flipping channels and not being able to see them in real time. It does however have a small PIP function that allows you to see live tv during timeslip but without any audio.
post #189 of 431 Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 AM

phussary,
I am curious about your statement that Toshiba has discontinued the RD-XS54. This unit is still being promoted as a feature item on the Toshiba web site and is still available from most retailers. What is the source of this information?
post #190 of 431 Old 06-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post

phussary,
I am curious about your statement that Toshiba has discontinued the RD-XS54. This unit is still being promoted as a feature item on the Toshiba web site and is still available from most retailers. What is the source of this information?

The "discontinued" term was my own opinion based upon the fact that when I purchased the XS54 two months ago when it was heavily discounted (~$300 US). At that time the unit was not on the Toshiba website, they were promoting the RD-XS55 which is the newer model.

Today they have both the XS54 and XS55 featured on their website with the same MSRP. I believe the XS55 is the replacement model with maybe some minor improvements. You can be the judge as to how long the XS54 will continue to be a current product.
post #191 of 431 Old 06-16-2006, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

The "discontinued" term was my own opinion based upon the fact that when I purchased the XS54 two months ago when it was heavily discounted (~$300 US). At that time the unit was not on the Toshiba website, they were promoting the RD-XS55 which is the newer model.

Today they have both the XS54 and XS55 featured on their website with the same MSRP. I believe the XS55 is the replacement model with maybe some minor improvements. You can be the judge as to how long the XS54 will continue to be a current product.

I am upset that I did not have the money to purchase this model when I had the chance to pick it up at $315 shipped or so.

If anyone finds a good deal on this model, let me know.

Thanks,
post #192 of 431 Old 06-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post

I am upset that I did not have the money to purchase this model when I had the chance to pick it up at $315 shipped or so.

If anyone finds a good deal on this model, let me know.

Thanks,

It was a great bargain especially when, in addition to an HD recorder I was considering purchasing a Slingbox for $200.

This unit provides all the functionality of a Slingbox and much more. I like it even better because in order to watch tv on the internet it does not require a special client like the Sony LocationFree player or the Slingbox, all you need is a browser which supports JVM and a Quicktime plugin and you are all set to watch your favourite shows/recording anywhere in the world.
post #193 of 431 Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

It was a great bargain especially when, in addition to an HD recorder I was considering purchasing a Slingbox for $200.

This unit provides all the functionality of a Slingbox and much more. I like it even better because in order to watch tv on the internet it does not require a special client like the Sony LocationFree player or the Slingbox, all you need is a browser which supports JVM and a Quicktime plugin and you are all set to watch your favourite shows/recording anywhere in the world.

Update, I just saw one on eBay for $269 + 30 shipping. $300 out the door for this product is great, especially since I was in the market for an upconverting player.
post #194 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Buk

I have a problem with audio volume. I set the volume of my amplifier to a comfortable level to listen to TV shows recorded to the HDD of my RD-XS54, however when the recording has ended and the RD-XS54 switches to live TV the audio volume nearly doubles to an uncomfortable level.

Is there some adjustment in the RD-XS54 setup that I have overlooked so that live audio and recorded audio are output to my amplifier at the same level?

Searching the web I haven't see anyone else complain about this, only problems with TV Guide.

I have the RD-XS54 connected to my ampllifier via TosLink optical.

Thanks
post #195 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk View Post

I have a problem with audio volume. I set the volume of my amplifier to a comfortable level to listen to TV shows recorded to the HDD of my RD-XS54, however when the recording has ended and the RD-XS54 switches to live TV the audio volume nearly doubles to an uncomfortable level.

Is there some adjustment in the RD-XS54 setup that I have overlooked so that live audio and recorded audio are output to my amplifier at the same level?

Searching the web I haven't see anyone else complain about this, only problems with TV Guide.

I have the RD-XS54 connected to my ampllifier via TosLink optical.

Thanks

Here's some advice from Joseph Dubin to JakeN re: a possibly similar problem (it worked for JakeN)...I hope he doesn't mind me pasting his post here for you:

"Jake,

Adjust the audio output on your cable box to "other" (rather than HDMI or Dolby Digital) then the audio range to "narrow" (instead of wide or normal). This will increase the analog input going into your DVD recorder either directly or though a recording saved on DVR. When set to HDMI or Dolby (both digital) the volume is lower on non-digital sources like a DVD recorder.

When you don't want to record a program onto DVD re-adjust your settings back to the above for 5.1 sound from a live broadcast or DVR (just remember it will be lower should you decide you want to keep in on DVD).

- Joe"

Here's a link to the page his Post #367 is on (in case you want to go there also).

|
|
|
post #196 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Buk

Quote:

Here's some advice from Joseph Dubin to JakeN re: a possibly similar problem (it worked for JakeN)...I hope he doesn't mind me pasting his post here for you:

"Jake,

Adjust the audio output on your cable box to "other" (rather than HDMI or Dolby Digital) then the audio range to "narrow" (instead of wide or normal). This will increase the analog input going into your DVD recorder either directly or though a recording saved on DVR. When set to HDMI or Dolby (both digital) the volume is lower on non-digital sources like a DVD recorder.

When you don't want to record a program onto DVD re-adjust your settings back to the above for 5.1 sound from a live broadcast or DVR (just remember it will be lower should you decide you want to keep in on DVD).

- Joe"

Thanks for the info and the link.

However I didn't explain, and should have, that I'm not using a cable box. I'm feeding cable in to the RD-XS54 without a box and using the tuner in the RD-XS54. So I don't think the cable box settings will help me out.

What I haven't tried and should, is recording to a DVD and see if audio play back of the DVD versus HDD versus live TV all vary in volume output. Then perhaps you could help me understand this problem.

Thanks,
post #197 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the info and the link.

However I didn't explain, and should have, that I'm not using a cable box. I'm feeding cable in to the RD-XS54 without a box and using the tuner in the RD-XS54. So I don't think the cable box settings will help me out.

Since you said you had an amplifier in your setup, the notation on analog audio might be a clue? Maybe your DVD setting on the amp should be the "type" that better suits an analog input vs. digital?

|
|
|
post #198 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Buk

Quote:

Since you said you had an amplifier in your setup, the notation on analog audio might be a clue? Maybe your DVD setting on the amp should be the "type" that better suits an analog input vs. digital?

This is where I'm getting confused or not understanding my problem and in turn not explaining it very well. The RD-XS54 is connected to my amplified using a TosLink optical connection for audio and S-video for video. When I play a recorded TV show from the HDD of the RD-XS54, I set the volume on the amplifier. All is well. Then when the recording stops on the RD-XS54 and it automatically switches to live TV, the volume get much louder and I have changed NOTHING.

Stated another way, the "gain or output level" from the RD-XS54 changes between a recording and live TV.

Stated yet another way, I'm watching a recorded TV show and fall asleep. The recording ends and the RD-XS54 automatically switches to live TV and the audio jumps up many decibels and I am startled awake by the loud audio!!

Stated in the reverse, I'm watching live TV through the RD-XS54 and then decide to watch a recording I have to turn the volume up on the amplifier because the volume from a recording is "lower" than live TV.

Would how I have the compression (data rate?) set on recordings cause low volume recordings?

Your comment seems to imply to me that I would need to set my amplifier one way when watching a recording and alter that setting when watching live TV. But either way the signal is going through a TosLink connection. I wouldn't think I would change anything at the amplifier, because recorded or live it's going optical digital from the RD-XS54 to the amp.

Thanks,
post #199 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

buk,

As a test, have you tried using analog (left + right) audio connection from your recorder to your amplifier? Just wondering if you would get the same problem this way.

FWIW, since I use a separate DVD player for commercial movies and playing back my own recordings, I did not bother to hook up the digital audio output from my recorder to my A/V receiver (amplifier). Since none of the recordings made on the DVD recorder are anything more than stereo, there is little, if any, benefit to using a digital audio connection. Besides, I had already used up all of the digital audio inputs (coax and optical both) on my A/V receiver.

My Pioneer DVD recorder has some user-controlled options for adjusting audio input levels for recording. Each input can be set separately. Perhaps your unit has similar adjustments in a setup menu.

Dave
post #200 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Buk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

buk,

As a test, have you tried using analog (left + right) audio connection from your recorder to your amplifier? Just wondering if you would get the same problem this way.

FWIW, since I use a separate DVD player for commercial movies and playing back my own recordings, I did not bother to hook up the digital audio output from my recorder to my A/V receiver (amplifier). Since none of the recordings made on the DVD recorder are anything more than stereo, there is little, if any, benefit to using a digital audio connection. Besides, I had already used up all of the digital audio inputs (coax and optical both) on my A/V receiver.

My Pioneer DVD recorder has some user-controlled options for adjusting audio input levels for recording. Each input can be set separately. Perhaps your unit has similar adjustments in a setup menu.

Your last paragraph sums up my problem....the RD-XS54 is plugged into a single input on the amplifier. The input on the amplifier is set up optical digital and it works, however the volume varies depending if the RD-XS54 is playing a recording or passing thru live TV.

Your comment about the quality of the audio hit home, but sometimes aren't some TV shows broadcast in other formats than simple stereo?

I have a diagram of my set up on the web, but have to post a few more times before I can post it. Ahhhh...being a newbie..

Thanks
post #201 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Your last paragraph sums up my problem....the RD-XS54 is plugged into a single input on the amplifier. The input on the amplifier is set up optical digital and it works, however the volume varies depending if the RD-XS54 is playing a recording or passing thru live TV.

I think Budget_HT's on to something. In audio, there are many options and settings that can cause an "imbalance" and your equipment has to have the proper decoders for your settings, etc.

In your setup, the "raw" signal from the cable must be passing thru the RDXS54 more "purely" than the player can produce on its own. This may be the diff. between one using the Toslink connection better than the other.

As BudgetHT suggested, it would be a simple test to eliminate the Toslink and switch to a purely analog stereo connection from the RDXS54 to the amp. and see how that sounds? Odds are, both sources will sound the same, at least???

P.S. Re: broadcast audio, the FCC mandated 4-channel audio in 1984: the original mono channel, one "difference" channel to produce "stereo" sound, and two SAP/special data channels. That's all we can receive.

|
|
|
post #202 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your comment about the quality of the audio hit home, but sometimes aren't some TV shows broadcast in other formats than simple stereo?

I have a diagram of my set up on the web, but have to post a few more times before I can post it. Ahhhh...being a newbie..

Thanks

The DVD recorder only accepts 2-channel stereo audio for recording. Standard analog TV is broadcast also with 2-channel stereo. In both cases, you can have matrixed surround contained within the 2-channel stereo. It can be decoded by a receiver/amplifier that has a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder and provide an added center (front) channel and a rear surround channel (heard through both rear speakers).

Most network and other prime-time TV programs have matrixed surround sound with their 2-channel stereo audio. Your DVD recorder will record that, and the playback of the recording will still have the surround and center channel IF the Dolby decoder is enabled on your A/V receiver/amplifier.

Everything discussed above is accomplished with 2-channel analog audio, i.e., the traditional red and white left and right stereo audio connections with RCA plugs and jacks.

Beyond all of that, a commercially-produced DVD often comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 and sometimes DTS (also a 5.1-channel system). To hear that, you need a digital coax or optical (Toslink) audio connection from the DVD player output to the amplifier input. In my case, I have my DVD 5-disc player set up like this for DD and DTS audio.

The only way to get better than 2-channel (with matrixed surround) stereo audio from broadcast TV (or analog cable) is with a digital TV broadcast and a digital TV tuner. Both HDTV and SDTV, when digital, can offer one of several Dolby-standard audio channel combinations The two most common are DD 2.0, which is identical to analog stereo audio, including matrixed surround when available, and DD 5.1 which is identical to the Dolby Digital audio from a commercial DVD.

Satellite TV and Cable TV set top boxes also provide digital audio outputs, which allow them to pass through DD audio provided on some channels and programs they offer.

Most DVD recorders actually record DD 2.0 audio, with some also offering an option to record using digital PCM stereo audio. Still 2 channels only, with optional matrixed surround when provided by the source.

I hope this explains the somewhat confusing TV audio scenario adequately. The bottom line is your DVD recorder recording function and its live TV reception function are strictly 2-channel stereo audio. The DVD playback function supports DD 5.1 digital audio output (and most likely DTS as well) over coax and/or optical connections to your receiver/amplifier that includes a Dolby Digital (and perhaps a DTS) digital decoder.

Good luck with your audio levels problem. I am interested in hearing the outcome.

Dave
post #203 of 431 Old 06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Buk

Quote:

The DVD recorder only accepts 2-channel stereo audio for recording. Standard analog TV is broadcast also with 2-channel stereo. In both cases, you can have matrixed surround contained within the 2-channel stereo. It can be decoded by a receiver/amplifier that has a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder and provide an added center (front) channel and a rear surround channel (heard through both rear speakers).

Most network and other prime-time TV programs have matrixed surround sound with their 2-channel stereo audio. Your DVD recorder will record that, and the playback of the recording will still have the surround and center channel IF the Dolby decoder is enabled on your A/V receiver/amplifier.

Everything discussed above is accomplished with 2-channel analog audio, i.e., the traditional red and white left and right stereo audio connections with RCA plugs and jacks.

Beyond all of that, a commercially-produced DVD often comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 and sometimes DTS (also a 5.1-channel system). To hear that, you need a digital coax or optical (Toslink) audio connection from the DVD player output to the amplifier input. In my case, I have my DVD 5-disc player set up like this for DD and DTS audio.

The only way to get better than 2-channel (with matrixed surround) stereo audio from broadcast TV (or analog cable) is with a digital TV broadcast and a digital TV tuner. Both HDTV and SDTV, when digital, can offer one of several Dolby-standard audio channel combinations The two most common are DD 2.0, which is identical to analog stereo audio, including matrixed surround when available, and DD 5.1 which is identical to the Dolby Digital audio from a commercial DVD.

Satellite TV and Cable TV set top boxes also provide digital audio outputs, which allow them to pass through DD audio provided on some channels and programs they offer.

Most DVD recorders actually record DD 2.0 audio, with some also offering an option to record using digital PCM stereo audio. Still 2 channels only, with optional matrixed surround when provided by the source.

I hope this explains the somewhat confusing TV audio scenario adequately. The bottom line is your DVD recorder recording function and its live TV reception function are strictly 2-channel stereo audio. The DVD playback function supports DD 5.1 digital audio output (and most likely DTS as well) over coax and/or optical connections to your receiver/amplifier that includes a Dolby Digital (and perhaps a DTS) digital decoder.

Good luck with your audio levels problem. I am interested in hearing the outcome.

Thank you for the informative information. I can verify most of what you say by what my amplifier tells me.

When I watch live TV my amplifier indicates it is receiving PCM [48kHz] from the RD-XS45. When I switch to a recording of an episode of Battlestar Galactic, for example, it says it is receiving a Dolby Digital 2/0 signal.

And I take it from the discussions so far, none of the rest of you notice a volume difference between recorded versus live? Most of you using RCA connections for audio?

This is where I need to mimic your settings and connections.

Plus I'll get out the flashlight and the mirror and try to connect the RD-XS54 using RCA rather than Toslink.

Thanks for bearing with me.
post #204 of 431 Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Buk,

The live-TV PCM audio is digital, but different from Dolby Digital 2.0 audio.

Now we are down to determining whether the PCM audio is encoded at a higher volume level than the D 2.0 audio within the DVD recorder, which would account for the differences you hear from your amplifier.

Or, perhaps the DVD recorder encodes them at equivalent volume levels, but your amplifier
may convert PCM to a higher volume level than comparable DD 2.0.

Are there any user setup adjustments in your amplifier for setting/attenuating volume levels by input and by PCM vs. DD vs. analog? My Kenwood A/V receiver allows individual analog audio adjustments by input, but I don't recall any digital volume settings by input.

Dave
post #205 of 431 Old 06-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Buk

Quote:

Buk,

The live-TV PCM audio is digital, but different from Dolby Digital 2.0 audio.

Now we are down to determining whether the PCM audio is encoded at a higher volume level than the D 2.0 audio within the DVD recorder, which would account for the differences you hear from your amplifier.

Or, perhaps the DVD recorder encodes them at equivalent volume levels, but your amplifier
may convert PCM to a higher volume level than comparable DD 2.0.

Are there any user setup adjustments in your amplifier for setting/attenuating volume levels by input and by PCM vs. DD vs. analog? My Kenwood A/V receiver allows individual analog audio adjustments by input, but I don't recall any digital volume settings by input.

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in my problem. Your combined comments may have gotten me to where I wanted to be.

I grabbed a decibel meter from work, which may have not really helped me as my sample material from each source (and recorded versus live) was not identical.

I added an audio connection from the RD-XS54 to my amplifier to include RCA. With both optical and analog connected and switching back and forth, my wife and I could bearly detect a difference between optical and analog. AND the difference between recorded versus live was the same, with live being louder.

Then I dug through the PDF of the amplifier's manual and found the "dynamic range compressor" setting. According to the manual, "Dynamic range compression is available with Dolby Digital sources only". The setting was on "Maximum" and I changed it to "Standard".

I'm guessing, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that by changing this the dynamic range of a DD 2/0 signal is similar in perceived volume of a PCM 48kHz signal.

I say perceived, because I'm no audiophile and what may have actually happened had nothing to do with volume.

Thanks to all and please stay tuned for more newbie questions,

Buk
post #206 of 431 Old 06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Buk, I think you may have found your "holy grail!"

Those amp settings are similar to the settings from that other post for a STB, except the setting that worked best was called "Narrow." If your "Standard" setting doesn't work, look for another setting that sounds equivalent to "Narrow"???

|
|
|
post #207 of 431 Old 06-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Buk

Now you've solved my volume problem. Let's discuss picture quality rates and audio settings.

With hard drive space not being a concern for me with the RD-XS54 and you're implications that audio quality is limited by the signal sent by cable companies (and broadcast TV), I previously thought I should record at a picture quality rate of 8.0 and audio at D/M2.

With a total disregard for hard drive space, what are the highest quality A/V settings to use where recorded quality tops out?

Thanks,
post #208 of 431 Old 06-25-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Now you've solved my volume problem. Let's discuss picture quality rates and audio settings.

With hard drive space not being a concern for me with the RD-XS54 and you're implications that audio quality is limited by the signal sent by cable companies (and broadcast TV), I previously thought I should record at a picture quality rate of 8.0 and audio at D/M2.

With a total disregard for hard drive space, what are the highest quality A/V settings to use where recorded quality tops out?

Thanks,

Here are some smart people who may have already answered this question.

The link above was posted by nx211 in this thread, Post #25.

|
|
|
post #209 of 431 Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 AM

For those who have documented various problems with the RD-SX54, I too experienced a major problem in which the unit "froze" and would not respond to any input from the remote or the front panel. This happened once shortly after receiving the unit and while I was unsuccessufully trying to download the TV Guide listings. A hard reset (hold the power on/off button down for 10 sec.) cured both problems. After consulting with a Toshiba tech, he volunteered to send me a firmware update CD that supposedly had some fixes for 16X media but nothing for the lockup problem. This firmware update is not on the Toshiba web site. Since the update supposedly did not address my specific problem, I did not install it.

I went out of town for two weeks with the unit set to record approximately 12 programs in my absence. It recorded the first program and then locked up again and never recorded any of the remaining programs. It also stopped receiving the TV Guide listings so there were no listings when I returned. Again, a hard reset brought the unit out of lock-up and a new set of TV Guide listing were downloaded.

I then installed the firmware update that Toshiba had sent me. Since then there have been no further problems. Even after more time with no problems, there will be no guarantee that there was any connection between the update and no more problems. However, if you want the update, you apparently have to ask Toshiba for it, since it is not on the web site.
post #210 of 431 Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Buk

My RD-XS54 locked up at first too. The red record icon would disappear in the unit's display. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. It worked sometimes. I didn't find that obscure paragraph about the hard reset in the manual. I called tech support and they didn't know about the problem I was having and suggested I call them if it happened again. Well it happened again and I stumbled on to the hard reset when in frustration I held the power button too long.

Since then no lock ups, but now the channels and stop, play, record and fast forward/reverse icons don't show up on the TV. I've tried turning the display on and off in the setup menu, but to no available.

I could try a hard reset, but I wonder if this is something I'm doing wrong or if the firmware update would fix this?

Buk
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page