Toshiba RD-XS54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 431 Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has any purchased or seen one of the new Toshiba RD-XS54 DVD recorders yet?

I'm intrigued by the 250GB hard drive, the Ethernet port, and the ability to set a recording via e-mail. Also, the feature that allows you to stream recordings to your PC should allow me to watch my recordings anywhere in my house, even wirelessly.

I just wonder if this model can really do everything as well as the features might suggest.

Also, what happened to the Panasonic DMR-EH500S? I can't find it listed anywhere now.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstalnaker View Post

Has any purchased or seen one of the new Toshiba RD-XS54 DVD recorders yet?

I'm intrigued by the 250GB hard drive, the Ethernet port, and the ability to set a recording via e-mail. Also, the feature that allows you to stream recordings to your PC should allow me to watch my recordings anywhere in my house, even wirelessly.

I just wonder if this model can really do everything as well as the features might suggest.

Also, what happened to the Panasonic DMR-EH500S? I can't find it listed anywhere now.

Thanks!

The Toshiba RD-XS54 is too new and not yet available, but it does look interesting.

The Panasonic E-500 has been discontinued.

RG

RG
post #3 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 AM

according to their website, J&R has it.
post #4 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, Panasonic must have had some quality-control problems with the E500, because it wasn't even out very long.

Hopefully the Toshiba will be the ultimate DVD recorder, with it's networking capabilities. There have been so many times when I was away from home and forgot to set my Panasonic to record something, so being able to send an e-mail to the device is very intriguing.
post #5 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1701 View Post

according to their website, J&R has it.

So it is. Of course Toshiba has nothing on their site.

RG

RG
post #6 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, Panasonic must have had some quality-control problems with the E500, because it wasn't even out very long.

Hopefully the Toshiba will be the ultimate DVD recorder, with it's networking capabilities. There have been so many times when I was away from home and forgot to set my Panasonic to record something, so being able to send an e-mail to the device is very intriguing.

I was looking for the E500 too and even Panasonic didn't have them and rgazzara's post seems right on target.

I was also very intrigued by the Toshiba. Great to be able to have software updates over the Internet although and especially that neat feature to record a program using email. I wonder whether then Toshiba can also control your DVR with the same concerns some people had about bluray recorders where I read that attempts to play with the region code can also alert the manufacturer and shut you down.

Unfortunately it doesn't have component inputs nor the ability to burn or play dual layer otherwise I'd go for it myself. If you're a DVD-RAM kind of guy though it's your machine. Looks like a very nice piece, especially with the new menu systems they promise and should make someone very happy.
post #7 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was out for over a year, about the same as the E-95, which was also discontinued.

It was probably discontinued to emphasize the new line of recorders (EH-50 is just the first) which have the ability to record to more DVD types, and which have the improved LP 4-hour mode.

There are no quality-control issues with the E-500. It's built like a tank. I know because I have one.

Cheers,

RG

RG
post #8 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I love DVD-RAM. I already have a DMR-E100HS and also a portable Panasonic DVD player so that I can dub my favorite TV shows from the hard drive to disc and then play them when I'm not at home.

I could never quite understand what you could do with the Ethernet port on the E500, except hook two of them together. That wasn't documented very well online. But I'm positive you couldn't schedule recording remotely or download firmware updates from the Internet. Nevertheless, I was close to buying one until I noticed that I couldn't find them anymore and then read about the new Toshiba unit. I hope somebody reviews it soon.
post #9 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM

One Call shows it to be instock.
post #10 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I love DVD-RAM. I already have a DMR-E100HS and also a portable Panasonic DVD player so that I can dub my favorite TV shows from the hard drive to disc and then play them when I'm not at home.

I could never quite understand what you could do with the Ethernet port on the E500, except hook two of them together. That wasn't documented very well online. But I'm positive you couldn't schedule recording remotely or download firmware updates from the Internet. Nevertheless, I was close to buying one until I noticed that I couldn't find them anymore and then read about the new Toshiba unit. I hope somebody reviews it soon.

Don't quote me on that although someone else mentioned it. It's not listed in the specs at J&R, Crutchfield or on a spec sheet I saw from Toshiba.

I'm not sure if the DVD-RAMs produced in this Toshiba will work in your E100HS. The incompatibilities were my real reason for not pursuing the RAM route otherwise I would have thought about it since it is superior for archiving important video.
post #11 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 AM

Seems kind of strange to me that the specs on the RD-X54 at OneCall and J&R don't mention an ethernet port,intergration with P/C or scheduling recordings via E-mail.
post #12 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pioneer View Post

Seems kind of strange to me that the specs on the RD-X54 at OneCall and J&R don't mention an ethernet port,intergration with P/C or scheduling recordings via E-mail.

Yes, makes you wonder...

Any operating manuals yet? I looked but couldn't find one.

RG

RG
post #13 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

post #14 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the articles where I first learned of the RD-XS54:

http://www.digital-lifestyles.info/d...tforms&id=2564

http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/214...-networked-dvd

I just found this on the Toshiba site:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new....asp?newsid=90

RG

RG
post #15 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Anyone remember if the XS54 will have component inputs? I thought the 52 did. In my quick check of the site rgazzara posted I didn't see anything.

Sounds like this and the Sony 915, when that comes out, will be the most advanced and expensive recorders so far. 250 gb hard drive is sweet--too bad these are still saddled with the TV guide system.
post #16 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Is the Sony 915 networkable? How do the specs compare to the Toshiba?

I think I read that the Toshiba only has component outputs, no inputs.
post #17 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

Anyone remember if the XS54 will have component inputs? I thought the 52 did. In my quick check of the site rgazzara posted I didn't see anything.

Sounds like this and the Sony 915, when that comes out, will be the most advanced and expensive recorders so far. 250 gb hard drive is sweet--too bad these are still saddled with the TV guide system.

No component inputs on the XS54. That was the one I was targeting until it was confirmed no component inputs...
post #18 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Does the XS54 record dual layer?
post #19 of 431 Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis View Post

Does the XS54 record dual layer?

That was the other one... no. It records DVD-RAM that works with Toshiba players.
post #20 of 431 Old 09-14-2005, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Are you sure that DVD-RAM's recorded on the Toshiba won't work on Panasonic models?
post #21 of 431 Old 09-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

I was looking for the E500 too and even Panasonic didn't have them and rgazzara's post seems right on target.

I was also very intrigued by the Toshiba. Great to be able to have software updates over the Internet although and especially that neat feature to record a program using email. I wonder whether then Toshiba can also control your DVR with the same concerns some people had about bluray recorders where I read that attempts to play with the region code can also alert the manufacturer and shut you down.

Unfortunately it doesn't have component inputs nor the ability to burn or play dual layer otherwise I'd go for it myself. If you're a DVD-RAM kind of guy though it's your machine. Looks like a very nice piece, especially with the new menu systems they promise and should make someone very happy.

slinky,
what you said above (bold font) interests me. Care to share where did you find the note saying that the Tosh.XS54 cannot *play* dual layer DVDs?
post #22 of 431 Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Are you sure that DVD-RAM's recorded on the Toshiba won't work on Panasonic models?

Someone on one of the xs-34 threads reported that ram discs made on a Panny recorder could be played on the Toshiba xs-34, even though a toshiba rep said that the toshiba would only play ram discs burned on the toshiba unit. Go figure. Do a search and you'll probably find the thread.
post #23 of 431 Old 09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod_video View Post

slinky,
what you said above (bold font) interests me. Care to share where did you find the note saying that the Tosh.XS54 cannot *play* dual layer DVDs?

Not a single specification sheet anywhere mentioned the ability to play dual layer DVDs. Like yourself I would find that omission surprising but it seems the XS34's manual doesn't indicate that it will play dual layers either. It's what is holding me back from purchasing the XS54.
post #24 of 431 Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 AM

slinky, thanks. if that's true, it's very disturbing.
I'd speculate that since it's the default behavior, the XS54 would have to be say explicitly that it doesn't play dual-layer. On the other hand, I cannot find the user's manual for that unit.
post #25 of 431 Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

slinky, thanks. if that's true, it's very disturbing.
I'd speculate that since it's the default behavior, the XS54 would have to be say explicitly that it doesn't play dual-layer. On the other hand, I cannot find the user's manual for that unit.

Now that is definitely not the approach you want to take. If it isn't in the specifications or manual then you cannot assume ANYTHING. The manufacturer is insulated from liability from such assumptions and it's intentional.

There is no "default" behavior just because you think playing dual layer should be standard. If you want a good example, the Sony HX715 that just came out last week says it automatically will create chapter marks and also allows you to create the manual marks with a mark button that is typical on any recorder. While it does do this on the hard drive it cannot write any of them at all to a DVDR!

Personally I thought component input would be "default" but the new XS54 doesn't have it either.
post #26 of 431 Old 09-19-2005, 07:11 AM

slinky, we're in the same boat. I'm just speculating, not assuming. I wouldn't spend the $$$ this dvr costs without checking the manual first.
post #27 of 431 Old 09-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

slinky, we're in the same boat. I'm just speculating, not assuming. I wouldn't spend the $$$ this dvr costs without checking the manual first.

Yep... I hear ya. It's a frustrating thing to be a consumer these days. Even basic assumptions cannot be assumed. Was very surprised myself and unfortunately the HX715 didn't have an online manual.. and even if it did, the fact that it wouldn't write chapter marks onto a DVDR was hidden in the fine print somewhere in the middle of the manual... hopefully Panasonic's next entry might have all the basics.
post #28 of 431 Old 09-19-2005, 03:30 PM

Anyone have one of these yet? I ordered one from J&R and am waiting to see when they'll ship. I can't imagine this box not being able to play DVDs you buy or rent. That would be real strange in my book.
post #29 of 431 Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM

just wondering...
when you guys get your new XS54, could you verify a couple of issues that have been reported with the also new XS34 in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=540826

1. There seem to be issues with the XS34's TVGuide feature
2. Some people in that thread mention that the 'black level bug' is fixed on the XS34. Reading it, I wonder if this is an experimental conclusion, or just after an inspection of the user's manual.

It would be useful if any of you guys could test those two with your XS54s
post #30 of 431 Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wong View Post

Anyone have one of these yet? I ordered one from J&R and am waiting to see when they'll ship. I can't imagine this box not being able to play DVDs you buy or rent. That would be real strange in my book.

????? Who reported this?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page