Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 549 Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting touch (very minor feature) but semi-practical:

When the ES20 is turned OFF, pressing the Eject button on the remote control opens the DVD tray and turns on the machine. However, if there is a Timer program pending (red clock light is on), Eject does not open the tray nor turn on the machine. You have to use the Power button on the Remote to turn the machine on. Essentially it prevents you from accidentally turning the machine on while a Timer event is pending.

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 549 Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Liked: 12
I did a search for this but didn't find a solution.

I've finalized about a dozen dvd-R's but now when I try to finalize the player freezes up. Are there any workarounds to get it to finalize the disc or is there a FW upgrade to solve this?
post #453 of 549 Old 04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Such behavior is usually attributable to media problems. Switching brands of DVD-R might help.

Firmware upgrades may also help.
post #454 of 549 Old 04-28-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod S View Post

I did a search for this but didn't find a solution.

I've finalized about a dozen dvd-R's but now when I try to finalize the player freezes up. Are there any workarounds to get it to finalize the disc or is there a FW upgrade to solve this?

I have found two types of finalization problems with DVD-Rs:

1) ES20 creates the thumbnails but freezes when it shows the progress bar, which shows no progress. I do not have a workaround for this.

2) One of the titles recorded for whatever reason cannot create a thumbnail and refuses to be edited in Direct Navigator. This also causes finalization to fail. However if you delete the offending title, you may be able to finalize the disc.

But there are some promising news:

Some ES15 users (who are also ES20 users) have reported that they were able to finalize DVDs that were recorded with the ES20 and refused to finalize in the ES20. More details are in the ES15 threads.

post #455 of 549 Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have observed this occasionally with VCRs when recording from a VHS tape. I currently have the VCR connected at IN2. I do not remember if this happened with IN1 when i had the VCR on IN1. (Now the cable box is using IN1).

The tuner picture from the VCR is showing fine on the ES20.IN2. But when I play a VHS tape (TV RF VHS recordings, not commercial movies), the picture is jumpy with 3-4 thick horizontal wavy flashy lines. If I stop/restart play or eject/insert the VHS tape it still happens. The VHS tuner's output is always showing properly throughout this. If I watch the VHS picture directly (without the ES20), it shows fine. So I am guessing the problem has to do with the ES20. The only way to fix this is to turn off the ES20 and then turn it back on. Then everything is fine.

I am not sure what/why this is happening, but at least it has a simple workaround :-)

post #456 of 549 Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

I have observed this occasionally with VCRs when recording from a VHS tape. I currently have the VCR connected at IN2. I do not remember if this happened with IN1 when i had the VCR on IN1. (Now the cable box is using IN1).

The tuner picture from the VCR is showing fine on the ES20.IN2. But when I play a VHS tape (TV RF VHS recordings, not commercial movies), the picture is jumpy with 3-4 thick horizontal wavy flashy lines. If I stop/restart play or eject/insert the VHS tape it still happens. The VHS tuner's output is always showing properly throughout this. If I watch the VHS picture directly (without the ES20), it shows fine. So I am guessing the problem has to do with the ES20. The only way to fix this is to turn off the ES20 and then turn it back on. Then everything is fine.

I am not sure what/why this is happening, but at least it has a simple workaround :-)

Not too sure if this is a problem with the ES 20. I was also going to connect a VCR to it but decided to try it with my HD DVR cable box, which also has a video input. I was hoping for a better picture but it was also distorted. Both our problems might be due to using digital equipment or feeds (component or HDMI cable).
post #457 of 549 Old 05-04-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Not too sure if this is a problem with the ES 20. I was also going to connect a VCR to it but decided to try it with my HD DVR cable box, which also has a video input. I was hoping for a better picture but it was also distorted. Both our problems might be due to using digital equipment or feeds (component or HDMI cable).

In my case there is nothing digital involved. The VCR is connected to the ES20 with the yellow RCA/composite, and nothing else in the path has anything digital. I need a TV upgrade :-)

post #458 of 549 Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my case there is nothing digital involved. The VCR is connected to the ES20 with the yellow RCA/composite, and nothing else in the path has anything digital. I need a TV upgrade :-)

Hi Hoops,

I have the Sony kd34xbr960 and will try to hook my VCR via the ES 20 to see if it works and will let you know.
post #459 of 549 Old 05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also happens with me. I have recorded several vhs tapes with the es20 and quality is great. But I have noticed, time to time, jumping in the picture coming off the vcr through the es-20. Mine is through in1 and svideo out of the vcr to the recorder. And it has nothing to do with copy protection, since the tapes are not.
post #460 of 549 Old 05-05-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, so far I haven't been able to find a pattern on why it happens when it happens. I'll make a mental note of all the variables the next times I notice it. Something similar is also reported in the ES15 threads...

post #461 of 549 Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Also happens with me. I have recorded several vhs tapes with the es20 and quality is great. But I have noticed, time to time, jumping in the picture coming off the vcr through the es-20. Mine is through in1 and svideo out of the vcr to the recorder. And it has nothing to do with copy protection, since the tapes are not.

Basically, what it comes down to is that you need a very good stabilizer input box on certain VHS tapes (those made by yourself). I wonder if it has something to do with 2 head recordings because out of all the tapes I've went through, only my wedding tape was like this and I believe it was recorded with a 2 head VHS Camcorder. It does this on all the Panasonic DVD Recorders that I own though. The picture will jitter and stop for a little while, then it starts again. I'm trying to hunt down a store that has a really good stabilizer like the SIMA one though. Hopefully one with a good return policy, so I can get this "one tape" done and well, you know
post #462 of 549 Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBelmont View Post

Basically, what it comes down to is that you need a very good stabilizer input box on certain VHS tapes (those made by yourself). I wonder if it has something to do with 2 head recordings because out of all the tapes I've went through, only my wedding tape was like this and I believe it was recorded with a 2 head VHS Camcorder. It does this on all the Panasonic DVD Recorders that I own though. The picture will jitter and stop for a little while, then it starts again. I'm trying to hunt down a store that has a really good stabilizer like the SIMA one though. Hopefully one with a good return policy, so I can get this "one tape" done and well, you know

The tape was a commercial movie (Republic Pictures home video). I have a Sima and the jitter was actually worse with it in the chain, so I removed it.Since the Sima tries to stabilize sync problems, my guess is the equipment that was used for recording was not the best they could use, since I have not seen the problem on Turner Classic VHS tapes. The Turner's I copied are not copy protected and did not have the Sima in the chain but were rock solid. (Wife loves Nelson Eddy pics, so I transferred her collection to DVD.)
post #463 of 549 Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 2-head vs 4-head VCR may be a good lead to investingate! Now I have to figure out how many heads my VCRs have :-)

post #464 of 549 Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just tried using the Panasonic S29 remote control on the ES20 trying to see if there are any hidden playback features in the ES20 that are not available on the ES20 remote. Unfortunately there are none :-(

post #465 of 549 Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Panasonic told me NOT to install the Canadian firmware updates.

Even thou the version number is the same as the USA version, the software is different. And any problems that may be the result of this may NOT be reversible.

Please wait for the latest version that Panasonic is working on.

Mike
post #466 of 549 Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM

so which is the best sony recored for picture quality?
post #467 of 549 Old 05-12-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcraig View Post

so which is the best sony recored for picture quality?

I am not familiar with Sony recorders. You may want to post your question as a new thread in this forum, since more Sony users are likely to see it there.

post #468 of 549 Old 06-02-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I recently noticed that when there is a pending Timer Recording (machine turned OFF, with red clock light on the front panel), the ES20 starts almost instantenously when i press the ON button. When there isn't a pending Timer recording , it takes a few seconds before being ready to use. (I have the Quick Start disabled).

Another difference when there is a Timer Recording pending: You cannot use the Play button to turn on the recorder. You have to use the Power button to turn it on. When there isn't a Timer recording pending, pressing the PLAY button starts it up, and pressing eject opens the tray. They probably have this distinction so you don't accidentally start up the machine and fail to record the Timer recording...

post #469 of 549 Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The 4hr mode looked pretty good on my 27" CRT set. But now I have a 42" set and while still completely watchable, looks very slightly soft in 4hr mode. I did a 3 hr FR mode recording & I thought it looked sharper. But it could just be a difference in the programming source.

While this comes as no surprise, I just was not sure how much the PQ would "suffer" with a larger screen. I'd say the difference between 4hr & 6 hr with a 27" set might be about the difference you would notice when going from a 27" set to a 42" set keeping at 4 hr mode. So if anyone plans on getting a really big set, such as 60", you'll probably wish you did everything in the 2 hr mode.

Just passing along some observations.
post #470 of 549 Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

The 4hr mode looked pretty good on my 27" CRT set. But now I have a 42" set and while still completely watchable, looks very slightly soft in 4hr mode. I did a 3 hr FR mode recording & I thought it looked sharper. But it could just be a difference in the programming source.

While this comes as no surprise, I just was not sure how much the PQ would "suffer" with a larger screen. I'd say the difference between 4hr & 6 hr with a 27" set might be about the difference you would notice when going from a 27" set to a 42" set keeping at 4 hr mode. So if anyone plans on getting a really big set, such as 60", you'll probably wish you did everything in the 2 hr mode.

Just passing along some observations.

Hi Mike,

Does your new set upconvert signals? If it does, keep your DVR set to 480I instead of 480P for playback. I noticed improved PQ when I let my set upconvert rather then feeding it progressive scan signals which cannot be upconverted.
post #471 of 549 Old 07-10-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Any display with more than 480 lines of native vertical resolution MUST upconvert 480-line signals it receives, or else the resulting picture would not occupy the full vertical dimension of the screen. 480p signals can (and must according to above) be upconverted.
post #472 of 549 Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

Any display with more than 480 lines of native vertical resolution MUST upconvert 480-line signals it receives, or else the resulting picture would not occupy the full vertical dimension of the screen. 480p signals can (and must according to above) be upconverted.

Hi Bob,

There are certain adjustments on my HD set that cannot be made when the TV senses a progressive signal. This occurs on SD signals upconverted by my HD Cable Box or when the output of the DVD recorder is at 480P. I am able to make these adjustments when the cable box or DVD recorder is sending out an interlaced signal at 480I. Wouldn't this mean that the TV is upconverting the signal to it's native resolution which is higher than the 480P output of the Panasonic DVD recorder? The picture quality is better when keeping the ES20 at 480I.

- Joe
post #473 of 549 Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, your display is upconverting anything it gets that has less resolution than its native resolution. That is what I said in my post which you quoted. All upconversion does is interpolate (make up) pixels where there were none in the source image. To put a 480-line image on a 720-line display you must come up with another 240 lines of image, those are determined by taking every two source lines and making three out of them. Some upconversions are better than others in that regard. The same thing happens in the horizontal dimension, for example, mapping the 720 pixels across of an SD image onto the 1280 pixels across of an HD display.
post #474 of 549 Old 07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
What he said, plus...

You probably have a progressive TV that just/only upconverts (expands) the progressive signal when it senses a 480p signal. When you set the ES20 for 480i output, you're adding a "deinterlacing" step, which may explain the "settings" you say are available that way, while not available when set at 480p.

If your ES20 allow you to set output for 720p, do that and you might get the "optimum" PQ for your setup?

(P.S. The deinterlacing step can make fast-moving objects appear with blocky edges, whereas a 720p signal makes such objects appear sharper.)

Added: You never said what output connections you're using (Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI)? That may make a diff. also, esp. with a purely progressive setting.
post #475 of 549 Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

What he said, plus...

You probably have a progressive TV that just/only upconverts (expands) the progressive signal when it senses a 480p signal. When you set the ES20 for 480i output, you're adding a "deinterlacing" step, which may explain the "settings" you say are available that way, while not available when set at 480p.

If your ES20 allow you to set output for 720p, do that and you might get the "optimum" PQ for your setup?

(P.S. The deinterlacing step can make fast-moving objects appear with blocky edges, whereas a 720p signal makes such objects appear sharper.)

Added: You never said what output connections you're using (Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI)? That may make a diff. also, esp. with a purely progressive setting.

Hi,

I use component cables for DVD, HDMI for HD and the set is a Sony KDL34xbr960. The ES20 outputs 480I or 480P (progressive scan, not upconversion to 720P). Comparision with optimum settings made for each option I found picture quality better by retaining the DVD player at interlaced and the HD DVR set to HDMI rather than an upconversion mode.

There was no problem with fast moving action scenes and use of the Sony's DRC mode (not available for progressive signals) helped to increase details on the DVD and standard TV signals.

Thanks as always,

Joe
post #476 of 549 Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

I have been using this thread as a reference when using my ES20, but have come across something not mentioned. If answering, please note that I am new to digital, having always been a vhs user.

I purchased the dvr player in December and have used it occasionally for recording, playback and general dvd rental. About three months into the relationship, I received the "disc cannot be played in your region" on brand new yoga discs labeled for my region. After unplugging the unit overnight, the discs played. However, I am receiving this error all the time now no matter which disc I play, i.e., rental, home formatted or newly purchased movies.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem? I wanted to post here before calling Panasonic.

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.
post #477 of 549 Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect Panasonic Customer Support will have you try a hard rest (a.k.a. Factory Reset), which puts the unit back to the configuration it was in when it was shipped from the factory. Offhand I'm not sure what the procedure is for that particular model, but hopefully someone here can help with that, and/or you can find it in the manual (near the back typically, Troubleshooting).
post #478 of 549 Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I have an ES30V - Can you please tell me what discs you have successfully 'finished' using your similar DVD recorder. What is the brand and the speed (4x, 8x etc). Thanks.
post #479 of 549 Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccatx View Post

I have been using this thread as a reference when using my ES20, but have come across something not mentioned. If answering, please note that I am new to digital, having always been a vhs user.

I purchased the dvr player in December and have used it occasionally for recording, playback and general dvd rental. About three months into the relationship, I received the "disc cannot be played in your region" on brand new yoga discs labeled for my region. After unplugging the unit overnight, the discs played. However, I am receiving this error all the time now no matter which disc I play, i.e., rental, home formatted or newly purchased movies.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem? I wanted to post here before calling Panasonic.

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

This is a known problem/bug in the ES20. There is a firmware download that is supposed to fix it. It is available here.

I have not tried it, so I cannot vouch for its validity, but others in this forum may have.

If you decide to update the firmware of your ES-20, read the instructions carefully, and come back here for questions if you have any.

RG
post #480 of 549 Old 07-26-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm only getting SAP audio passed through my ES20 on cable broadcasts. I've already checked my audio settings and the SAP is turned off. Any ideas what my problem might be?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page