Panasonic ES20 - First Impressions (blog style) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 549 Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Easy thing to try: if you have Daylight Saving Time (DST) set to ON, set it to OFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 549 Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevygal View Post

I have another problem with my ES20 since my last post & was hoping someone could shed some light on it. I can only record using the Scheduled recording for live programing & from my DVR. The ES20 can not read the disc when I try to do a live record or by using the FR recording. I have tried a new Verbatim -R pack, Dynex, my RAM disc & a disc that I saved for testing purposes. I have also unplugged the unit & the cable box multiple times the past few days. Should I start looking for another recorder or hope for the best with the firmware patch?

Let me see if I understood: So on the same disc you can record if you go to the Scheduler, but if you press RECORD on the remote or on the front panel of the DVD recorder it refuses to start recording? Is there a difference between using the RF tuner and the Line-In inputs?

I have not seen a problem such as the one I think you described. But the ES20 is quite quirky!

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #543 of 549 Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 PM

That's correct about using the same disc. Hitting record doesn't work & Scheduler will work. I am not the one to be changing the wiring around, but I do record from Video 1, if that helps.
post #544 of 549 Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

I have not seen a problem such as the one I think you described. But the ES20 is quite quirky!

ncaahoops -

I'm surprised that there is fresh action on this thread.

The ES20 is quirky as we know. But looking at threads on the newer recorders seem to indicate a lot of them are quirky as well.

Twice I had a problem when using chase play. Since it only happened twice & obviously caught me by surprise, I'm forgetting some of the details. But something like I could go backward and fast forward, but not pause. The whole program got recorded, it's just that one of the functions did not work. It may have been while using the FR mode, but I'm not sure. I kind of dismissed the problem because I figured Panasonic is not going to upgrade firmware anymore on this model.

I thought about getting a Philips with QAM tuner and HDD, but it looks like they have some problems dropping channels. I get the impression the new Panny's have a better picture than the Philips, but the Panny's do not have an HDD. And if Comcast starts encrypting more channels, the QAM tuner's function becomes limited. Right now I'm on hold. I'll have to see what's new this fall as far as TV programing goes & if it's worthwhile to upgrade at that time.

Mike
post #545 of 549 Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

My ES20 stopped recording about a month or so ago. As it still functions as a player, I'm keeping it. With the fall season starting in a month, I went ahead and picked up a Toshiba D-R400. Hopefully it will serve me better than the ES20. I must say, however, that the Toshiba is much less user friendly.
post #546 of 549 Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's correct about using the same disc. Hitting record doesn't work & Scheduler will work. I am not the one to be changing the wiring around, but I do record from Video 1, if that helps.

I do not know. It seems that the more it ages, the quirkier it gets. I had one instance that sound didnt come through until a couple of reboots. (I also have my cable box on Video 1)

The reason I was asking is to figure out whether the problem is with Video1 Line Input or with all sources of video (RF, L1, L2, DV). If the Video 1 input is the problem, then you can use Video2 or RF In perhaps.

Also did you try connecting/disconnecting the cables?

post #547 of 549 Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

ncaahoops -

I'm surprised that there is fresh action on this thread.

The ES20 is quirky as we know. But looking at threads on the newer recorders seem to indicate a lot of them are quirky as well.

Twice I had a problem when using chase play. Since it only happened twice & obviously caught me by surprise, I'm forgetting some of the details. But something like I could go backward and fast forward, but not pause. The whole program got recorded, it's just that one of the functions did not work. It may have been while using the FR mode, but I'm not sure. I kind of dismissed the problem because I figured Panasonic is not going to upgrade firmware anymore on this model.

I thought about getting a Philips with QAM tuner and HDD, but it looks like they have some problems dropping channels. I get the impression the new Panny's have a better picture than the Philips, but the Panny's do not have an HDD. And if Comcast starts encrypting more channels, the QAM tuner's function becomes limited. Right now I'm on hold. I'll have to see what's new this fall as far as TV programing goes & if it's worthwhile to upgrade at that time.

Mike

I had one case where I was recording one program and Chase Playing (mostly fast-forwarding through it) another program, the playback was ok, but the resulting recorded program was a bit choppy and had some flashes of the previously recorded program in it during playback.

Yes, the whole future what to buy is so frustrating! The whole QAM/encrypted thing is contributing too. Infact recently Comcast's OnDemand programs (almost all of them) are macrovision'ed (unless it's my new crazy DVR box that is causing it, b/c I didn't have m/v with the Motos)

post #548 of 549 Old 08-27-2007, 09:44 AM

I agree that this unit is quirky. Hitting the record button & the FR is now working. The unit was sitting on top of my cable box & I never noticed before how warm it got. I moved it last night to let it cool off after turning the DST off. Today I disconnected & connected the cables before trying to use another video source & now everything is right with the world!! I did not try to record before re-connecting the cables so I don't know which solution worked. If heat was the problem, I would think the problem would have shown up earlier & that doesn't explain why Scheduler worked. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
post #549 of 549 Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree that this unit is quirky. Hitting the record button & the FR is now working. The unit was sitting on top of my cable box & I never noticed before how warm it got. I moved it last night to let it cool off after turning the DST off. Today I disconnected & connected the cables before trying to use another video source & now everything is right with the world!! I did not try to record before re-connecting the cables so I don't know which solution worked. If heat was the problem, I would think the problem would have shown up earlier & that doesn't explain why Scheduler worked. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I'm glad everything is working now! Maybe heat was the problem, I noticed in mine that after heavy duty usage it takes to get more flaky and quirky. Perhaps it went into one of those quirky buggy modes and the overheating made it last longer.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page