Hooking up 2 Panasonic DVD Recorders to TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if you have any better ideas for my setup.

I have a Panasonic E95. I just replaced my VCR with an ES10. I'm using a 3-way splitter for the cable signal - 1 to TV, 1 to E95, 1 to ES10. The E95 is connected to the TV using the audio portion (red and white) of the composite video cable and an S-video cable. The ES10 is connected to the TV using all three wires of the composite video.

I'm not thrilled with the video from the ES10, and wonder if:
1) there is anything I can to do eliminate any degradation of the cable signal due to the splitting. I read about RF modulators, but what I read indicated that I'd have to move a switch when changing from one video input to another.
2) there is a way to use an S-video cable out of the ES10 as well and merge the S-video from both machines into my single S-video connection on my TV. I looked at some splitters on the internet, but they don't seem right for what I want to do.

Another thought would be better quality composite cables. I used the cables that came with the DVD recorders. Also, any thoughts about the coax cable that comes with the machines? It's the plug on, without the screw-cap. Should I invest in better cables?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cathy (Mrs. mjw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

In order to accurately compare the quality of two items, you first have to make sure all other factors are equal. In this case, the factor is the video connection itself. The E95 is connected using s-video, but the ES10 is connected using composite. S-video is superior to composite, and that could be the reason why the ES10's PQ appears to be inferior. Especially when you say you used the ones that came in the box, those are about the cheapest ones you can possibly get.

If it's a situation where your TV has two inputs but only of them is s-video (which is the case with my bedroom TV, an 11 y/o Sony), then you'll either have to put up with it, or better yet buy a video switcher box. You could also feed the ES10's s-video out into the s-video in of the E95, but then if the E95 is recording something, you won't be able to watch something else on the ES10.

The quality of your coax cables and splitters is not the issue here, though you might get a better PQ if you used better ones (the screw on kind). Also, you shouldn't need a coax splitter as both the E95 and ES10 (and almost all DVD recorders except combo DVD/VHS units) should have "pass through" RF connectors, meaning the RF out feed is exactly like what came into the recorder, and not controlled by whatever the recorder is doing. Take your cable feed from the wall and feed it into one of the recorders, then hook that recorder's RF out to the RF in of the other recorder, then take the other recorder's RF out and feed that to the RF in of the TV. That's how I have my two DVD recorders (Sony and Pioneer) hooked up to my TV.

Lastly, it has been reported by some that they felt the ES10's tuner imparts a grainy feel to the recordings. But if you are recording off an external source (i.e. cable/sat box), or are playing a DVD that was produced elsewhere, this would not be a factor.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Composite (as opposed to component) connection is the worst possible - avoid it if you can. You can get a S-video switcher for about $30, though better ones cost more. I have a Sima SV-4 (4 in 2 out) that cost $130 new but it has remote control and does a terrific job with no discernable video loss. I no longer use it so if you are interested in buying it send me a PM.

"The truth is out there!"
post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try your suggestion this weekend. If I understand your suggestion re: the cable feed, each component - ES10 and E95 and TV - will be able to independently control the channel being watched/recorded.

Thanks, Cathy
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The first thing I would do is to check out the picture quality of the ES10 by disconnecting the E95s S-Video Cable & put it on the ES10s S-Video Output.

Then I would play a Store Bought DVD that you know has a good picture (When you played it on the E95) on the ES10 & see how the ES10s S-Video picture compares to the E95.

As was stated above some people have reported that the ES10s picture from the Built-In TV Tuner has grain in it compared to the older Panny tuners so I would not use TV Stations to compare the pictures between the two of them.

You might also want to test the strength of the cable signal by taking the cable that comes out of the wall or box & hook it directly to the ES10 to compare the picture quality with a straight signal or a split signal because the cable signal might be being degraded by splitting it so many times & it can even be a bad splitter or a cheap splitter that is causing the loss in picture quality.

If you determine it's a loss of signal strength you can always buy a cable signal amplifier that will boost the signal strength back up again.

But the biggest pain & it can be a real nightmare is tracking down the problem because it can be a bunch of things that might be degrading the ES10s picture (The ES10 itself, bad cables, bad wires, loss of signal strength from splitting the cable 3-ways, bad Inputs & Outputs & Etc).
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have an E-30 (vhs combo unit, same generation as the ES-10) and an E-95 both stacked together sharing the same RF. The tuner in the E-30 is definitely a grainier and lighter (poor black level) and less pleasing picture than the E-95. I use the E-30 primarily for VHS dubbing so the tuner issue is not a major problem

I have seen enough to know I have seen too much. (A League of Their Own)
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Liked: 123
Uhhhh, maybe this is a dumb question, but why connect them all to the TV? Why not input them all to the receiver (or each other for some applications) and just use the component out or Svideo out to the TV like a monitor? Just curious, as I've never understood using the TV as the center of my setup as it severely limits capabilities and features. From my experience and research, it's always seemed that your receiver should be the "heart" of your system as a general rule.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM

You MIGHT want to try the Sima SCC-2 Color Corrector.
It has 2 S-video in and outs, and 2 composite in and outs.
it`s a Color corrector, so IF you have any problems with lights or darks,
this will take care of it.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1948
1) there is anything I can to do eliminate any degradation of the cable signal due to the splitting. I read about RF modulators, but what I read indicated that I'd have to move a switch when changing from one video input to another.
Radio Shack sells some amplified cable splitters that I have successfully used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1948
2) there is a way to use an S-video cable out of the ES10 as well and merge the S-video from both machines into my single S-video connection on my TV. I looked at some splitters on the internet, but they don't seem right for what I want to do.
There are plenty of S-Video auto switching boxes available. A quick Google search turned up several for me a while back.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969
Uhhhh, maybe this is a dumb question, but why connect them all to the TV? Why not input them all to the receiver (or each other for some applications) and just use the component out or Svideo out to the TV like a monitor? Just curious, as I've never understood using the TV as the center of my setup as it severely limits capabilities and features. From my experience and research, it's always seemed that your receiver should be the "heart" of your system as a general rule.
1. The original poster might not have an A/V receiver
2. Ones with s-video switching capability are more expensive
3. Not everybody wants to have to turn on a receiver for basic TV watching
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

You can buy s-video capable switches at Target or WallyWorld. Look in the video game department. should be about 12.00.
I found a Pelican product at BB in the video game department that has HD capable component, S-video, composite, coax digital, optical, and ethernet switching for 5 in and 1 out. The sucker was 100.00. Works fine. I found a smaller non-electronic version in the WallyWorld clearance rack for 20.00.

I have seen enough to know I have seen too much. (A League of Their Own)
post #12 of 12 Old 10-16-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I did test the ES10, and the picture is fine. The problem is really the video connection to the TV. I did try a better quality video cable, but the improvement was miniscule. Looked at the switches, but most that are in my budget (right now) would require that I move my behind from the chair to the switch. :)

Well...incentive to save up for the newer more modern TV that I've been ogling. In the meantime, the ES10 is mostly for recording, so I can live with it. Thanks again. It's good to know that people are willing to help.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page