AVS Forum banner

Attn Newbies: You Cannot Record in Hi-Def Resolution on Current DVD Recorders

175K views 584 replies 127 participants last post by  MichaelLAX 
#1 ·
In an effort to possibly save some repetition in posts, and avoid confusion, this seems to be a question that pops up once a week or so.

No current DVD recorder, available in the American market at least, will record high definition content IN HIGH DEFINITION RESOLUTION. DVD recorders can only record in standard definition which is 480i. You cannot record in 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

You CAN record hi definition content from a sat box or STB, depending on the hookup, but at best it will be in 480i resolution. The recordings should still be very good, they just won't be in high definition. Your STB or source signal has to be able to transmit the hi-def content via component, S video or composite- -not all do. NOTE--If you have a Directv Hi def box (and this may apply to other STBs) you need to manually SET the Directv box to output at 480i OR YOU WILL NOT GET A SIGNAL WHEN YOU HOOK IT UP TO A DVD RECORDER! Until the HD format wars are resolved and we start seeing some HD-DVD players, HD-DVD recorders are still a ways off.

Even if you have a hi-def DVR like a Directivo, while the Directivo will store the high def signal to its hard drive, so you can watch in high definition from your Directivo or Dish hard drive, it is downconverted to 480i when outputted to a DVD recorder for archiving(and it does not even stay in the digital domain, as it has to be converted to analog, then back to digital).

The only current way to actually record in hi-def resolution, other than a hi-def STB hard drive, is via a D-VHS recorder.

AUDIO ADDENDUM: No current DVD recorders can record a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS multichannel digital signal either. Recorders have digital OUTPUTS (usually optical, some coaxial), but only record in Dolby Digital 2.0 or uncompressed PCM digital stereo audio. No standalone DVD recorders have digital audio inputs or allow recording of a 5.1 signal at this time. PCM audio is uncompressed,unlike DD, and is far superior than DD 2.0 for sound quality, especially for music. Beware the cheap DVD recorder brands, as many only have mono tuners and won't even record in stereo.

See less See more
#402 ·
I'm 99% sure they mean if the receiver's incoming component signal is 720p or 1080i/p it will not down convert to s-video. This means you would have to have the source device (cable box, sat box etc) down convert any HD signals to SD (480i) so as to have the receiver then convert them to s-vid for you. Not a big deal, but not ideal. Ideally it would be nice to at least be able to watch the show in HD resolution as you were dubbing it to DVD, which you can't with the AVR-3808CI.

Before you go buying a new receiver to do this we need to verify two things:

A) The Moto box itself doesn't change the squeezed form of its component out when set to 480i out. (I'm not too worried about it though)

B) The receiver one is considering also doesn't unsqueeze and letter box the signal when converting 480i component to s-video. (wajo writes in post #397 that many/most do)

#404 ·
Love your name Squonk and the song as well. Did you see Genesis last year? Saw them in San Jose and in L.A. AWESOME!!!! Hey, I have a Toshiba D-VKR3 which is going on 3 yrs old. Bought at Costco and it was rated highly by consumers at the time. I have Directv HD DVRs as well. I have been having issues lately with shows that I record are breaking up and pixelated (?). It seems it is random at times. I ran a DVD cleaner disc (Costco product) through several times thinking the laser was dirty and the recordings still have pixelation especially the HD shows it seems. Could there be an issue like you mentioned with the Directv connection? It's odd that it just started a few months ago though. Don't know if the unit is just going B/O or if I should take it in to say a Best Buy geek squad for a cleaning? Looking into the Panasonic DMR-EA18K to replace. It has HDMI which should make things a little nicer. Plus with the cost of the cleaning, it might make sense to upgrade. Your thoughts? I am aware that Directv is going back to Tivo in mid 09 and those units will be upgradeable with larger external hard drives. That may be the only way to preserve true HD shows until HD recorders ever make it here in the U.S. I guess???

#409 ·
No promises but there are rumors Panasonic will announce a Blu-ray standalone recorder(s) for the US market at CES which starts in less than a week from today. They already exist in Japan I believe.

#411 ·
Wow! Own a Panny DMR-E50. Still working I think but had some problems when recording so have not used it in awhile. Was thinking of upgrading as its been years since I first bought the unit and I figured that the capabilities of DVD recording would have progressed greatly by now.

So you people are saying that if I just wanted to record TV shows (mostly golf that could be 8hrs long), uses DVD +/-'s disks and record in 720p/1080i/p, I will not be able to get a recorder that could do this?

Thanks.

Panny 42-PZ80U (1080p)

SA 8300HDC (single HDMI in use to Panny)

Time Warner cable in Hawaii w/HD programing

#412 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberteyewhy /forum/post/16605518

So you people are saying that if I just wanted to record TV shows (mostly golf that could be 8hrs long), uses DVD +/-'s disks and record in 720p/1080i/p, I will not be able to get a recorder that could do this?

If disc burning isn't needed, a DVR can do this. Think TiVo or cableco DVR.

Otherwise, no, DVD recording maxed out when you bought your recorder, and as of now no Blu-Ray recorders are available in the US market (except for PC drives.) There are always rumors of BD recorders, but I'll believe it when I actually see it.

#413 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberteyewhy /forum/post/16605518

Wow! Own a Panny DMR-E50. Still working I think but had some problems when recording so have not used it in awhile. Was thinking of upgrading as its been years since I first bought the unit and I figured that the capabilities of DVD recording would have progressed greatly by now . . .

. . . I just wanted to record TV shows (mostly golf that could be 8hrs long), uses DVD +/-'s disks and record in 720p/1080i/p, I will not be able to get a recorder that could do this?

DVD Recorders did progress for a time. With the hasty introduction of the digital tuner Panasonic EZ series many bugs and design flaws appeared/reappeared. A number of workarounds became necessary to maintain basic functionality of EZ series machines.

As to recording problems with your good old Panasonic see this post and its links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16606154

The best "standard definition" HDD (hard disc drive)/DVD recorders with NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners and extended hours of continuous recording, the Philips 3575/3576, and Magnavox 2080 and original production runs of the Magnavox 2160, are no longer available. (The problematic Magnavox 2160 "A" version may still be purchased. See wajo's sticky thread for latest updates concerning the 2160 "A" situation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

#414 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/16605546

If disc burning isn't needed, a DVR can do this. Think TiVo or cableco DVR.

Otherwise, no, DVD recording maxed out when you bought your recorder, and as of now no Blu-Ray recorders are available in the US market (except for PC drives.) There are always rumors of BD recorders, but I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Thanks. Already have a DVR but was looking for another dvd burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/16606532

DVD Recorders did progress for a time. With the hasty introduction of the digital tuner Panasonic EZ series many bugs and design flaws appeared/reappeared. A number of workarounds became necessary to maintain basic functionality of EZ series machines.

As to recording problems with your good old Panasonic see this post and its links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16606154

The best "standard definition" HDD (hard disc drive)/DVD recorders with NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners and extended hours of continuous recording, the Philips 3575/3576, and Magnavox 2080 and original production runs of the Magnavox 2160, are no longer available. (The problematic Magnavox 2160 "A" version may still be purchased. See wajo's sticky thread for latest updates concerning the 2160 "A" situation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Thanks. Seems like I might as well try to reconnect my Panny and see how it performs. No sense upgrading if I cannot record to DVD's in HD.

#415 ·
Hooked up the Panny DMR-E50. Only problem is that it does not recognize any of my old Panasonic DVD-RAM disks. Used to before.

However, at least it has no problems with Verbatium or TDK DVD -R disks. No other problems yet. Timer recording just came on so that works.

Oh well. Don't plan on using it much only when I tape golf for family/friends or some other show(s) that they do not get.

Thanks all,

Robert

#416 ·
Hello. I am looking to add specific capability to a bedroom system, and hoping for a recomendation. I figure a DVR would kill two birds...

- Want a digital tuner to tune in existing QAM channels (clear) from my comcast cable, and pass it along to my TV, preferably via HDMI.

- Would like to add 5.1 audio out capability to my bedroom system, so this new unit would replace my current DVD player.

- I don't really need to record DVDs in this room.

Many thanks!

J.

#417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by burndawgz /forum/post/17631027

Hello. I am looking to add specific capability to a bedroom system, and hoping for a recomendation. I figure a DVR would kill two birds...

- Want a digital tuner to tune in existing QAM channels (clear) from my comcast cable, and pass it along to my TV, preferably via HDMI.

- Would like to add 5.1 audio out capability to my bedroom system, so this new unit would replace my current DVD player.

Many thanks!

J.

Comcast is in the process of scrambling the Extended Basic clear QAM cable networks (excepting local must carry broadcast stations, government and public access, shopping and a few cable networks found below channel 30 or so). This "Network Enhancement" was implemented in my area earlier this month.

If you don't already need a Comcast STB or DTA you soon will, so don't make any future plans based upon clear QAM tuner-equipped devices.

#418 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by burndawgz /forum/post/17631027

If you have a HDTV, I would recommend the Moxi.

The Moxi is available in dual-tuner and triple-tuner QAM versions. It will allow you to map ClearQAM channels on cable so they have guide data, which is something TiVo cannot do. When your Comcast system encrypts all of your channels except locals -- which they all plan to do -- then you can install a CableCard to tune those channels.

Check out the HDD Recorder comparison table in the HDTV Recorders forum.

#419 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17631135

Comcast is in the process of scrambling the Extended Basic clear QAM cable networks (excepting local must carry broadcast stations, government and public access, shopping and a few cable networks found below channel 30 or so). This "Network Enhancement" was implemented in my area earlier this month.

DigaDo, I live in the PacNW myself and noticed just this weekend (when trying to tune in the Apple cup) that most of my previous comcast QAM channels had gone black - this on the TV that had the digital tuner. However, upon reprogramming, I was able to find most of them again, but at new locations "on the dial." I haven't checked one-for-one, but it sure looked like almost all were still there, just at the new locales.

That doesn't speak for the future though. Would hate to see them go.

#422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbring /forum/post/17711513

I got my Directv HD DVR for free, so I hope it lasts awhile - it lets you connect to an external harddrive

With a 1TB hard drive, you can record up to 200 hours of HD programming.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P5980155

Both Dish Network and DirecTV offer "free" dual-tuner HDTV DVRs for all new customers, and have for the past 18+ months. Existing customers typically pay $99, although long-time customers may be able to upgrade for free.

Keep in mind that both Dish Network and DirecTV lease the DVR; they require that you return it when you cancel service. Neither works without a satellite subscription, and neither works without their $6/mo DVR fee. That said, if you have (or plan to get) Dish or DirecTV, their HDTV DVR is more than worth the extra $6/mo. The box costs them $200-$250, and if you could buy and own it without fees, it would cost $400-$500.

The feature set on the Dish and DirecTV HDTV DVRs is similar to the TiVo and Moxi DVRs compared in my signature. All support expansion with external drives, allowing storage of hundreds of HD hours.

#423 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/17711970

The feature set on the Dish and DirecTV HDTV DVRs is similar to the TiVo and Moxi DVRs compared in my signature. All support expansion with external drives, allowing storage of hundreds of HD hours.

I've had Directv for years - can't watch tv anymore without a DVR, but when I looked up these eSata external hard drives reviews it appears that Directv does not support them even though they advertise the drives on their homepage.

You have to connect it, then reboot your HD DVR receiver and it replaces the internal drive and you loose access to everything recorded on the internal drive until you disconnect it and then do the reboot thing again.

But I've read reviews of these expander drives say that when the Directv receiver software gets automatically updated that you lose everything you've saved on your external drive because the default changes from external to internal again and the receiver no longer recognizes the external drive. You have to reset it all again? That would suck.

#424 ·
I posted a similar question at the Philips DVDR3575H/37 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17816030

A have an external device with component outputs and a Pyro A/V Link converter that will allow me to export an A/V signal via DV or S-Video to my DVD recorder. The DVD recorder has a 4 pin DV input or S-Video input. Which one of these will yield a higher quality image?

I'm assuming it's the DV input, but the Philips down-converts everything to SD, so I'm not even sure if it even matters.

#425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbrand /forum/post/17816136

...I'm assuming it's the DV input, but the Philips down-converts everything to SD, so I'm not even sure if it even matters.

DVD Recorders will only record in SD, hence the reason for this thread...

If you want to digitize in HD, look at the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 which will give you 1080 or 720 files, which can then be burned to Blu-Ray discs or regular DVDs (correctly formatted) that will play the HD on Blu-Ray players...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.