Attn Newbies: You Cannot Record in Hi-Def Resolution on Current DVD Recorders - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 585 Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy viewer View Post

I have an SA 8000HD DVR on Videotron cable in Montreal with their latest firmware. I would like to record hi def content to DVD with the "record to VCR" function on the S-video output (Firewire is not enabled). I know it must output 480i with the widescreen flag set to create an anamorphic dvd, and the DVD recorder needs to recognize it when recording.

Despite much searching in the DVR and DVD recorder forums I cannot find any replies from someone who has actually done this. Any feedback from those who could confirm this would be appreciated, and maybe a suggestion on DVD recorders.

Thanks

Not sure about the flag, but several people are using a Polaroid 2001G with the SA8300HD in "novel" ways. Check out this post, which is sort of in the middle of a multi-page discussion of the Polaroid's use with the SA8300HD. Maybe post a question to Nextoo, Larrimore or The Bard, who seem to have experimented with various setups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 585 Old 12-16-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

There is no extra data. Both 16:9 and 4:3 material is represented by (at most) 720x480 pixels. Widescreen material is just displayed with wider pixels.

Thanks! So basically there is no difference in per-pixel quality assuming the same number of pixels is used?

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #183 of 585 Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You got it.
post #184 of 585 Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 PM

I........... just purchased the Panasonic DMR-EH75............I know it cannot record in high definition but what is the best way to connect it to a high definition(STB)DVR that I presently lease from Cox Cable? I don't want to disturb my present set-up but would like the ability to record programs that have been saved either to the EH75 hard drive or the DVR STB. One of the post that I read here from InVinoVeritas talks about splitting at the wall and sending the input signal to both the EH75 and the DVR. But that won't allow him to record channels above 100. What happens if I connect the DVR STB first from the wall input and send the output to the DMR75 then the output of the DMR75 to the high def TV? Any help will be greatly appreciated..
post #185 of 585 Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaiennie View Post

... what is the best way to connect it to a high definition(STB)DVR that I presently lease from Cox Cable?

S-Video plus analog stereo audio (White/Red RCA) from DVR to DVD Recorder. It just has to be 480i.
Quote:

But that won't allow him to record channels above 100.

The 100-channel-limit is due to DVD Recorder not being able to tune such channels (only analog channels can be tuned by a DVD Recorder, just like a VCR, those above 100 on cable tend to be digital channels). So there is no configuration that will get aound that limit.
Quote:

What happens if I connect the DVR STB first from the wall input and send the output to the DMR75 then the output of the DMR75 to the high def TV?

Are you talking about the RF signal path or A/V? You can't send HD A/V signals to a DVD Recorder. For RF it doesn't matter, it will just pass it through.
post #186 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I........... just purchased the Panasonic DMR-EH75............I know it cannot record in high definition ...

You Can NOW , ... if you purchase the RJTech RJ-1000ATSC HDTV Tuner Box - ATSC / QAM HD Tuner - Output to Component Video or S-VHS. I recorded the widescreen HiDef "Bones" TV show last night (Jan. 31, 2007) on my good ole' Panasonic VCR** Hi-Fi VHS Tape!!!

Key to recording my HD Channel, my RJTech HDTV Tuner box converts ATSC & QAM DTV/HDTV digital broadcast signals to standard definition analog signals!!!

Read about it in my AVS review HERE!!!

**Soon to be replaced by "Samsung DVD-VR330 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo" unit.

Phil

JBL S-Series / SVS =4D

post #187 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

You Can NOW , ... if you purchase the RJTech RJ-1000ATSC HDTV Tuner Box - ATSC / QAM HD Tuner - Output to Component Video or S-VHS. I recorded the widescreen HiDef "Bones" TV show last night (Jan. 31, 2007) on my good ole' Panasonic VCR** Hi-Fi VHS Tape!!!

To fill in the blanks for people not familiar:
* existing DVD recorders (with the exception of a couple of expensive models in Japan) can record downconverted HD content from stand-alone HDTV Tuners, HD DVRs and HD cable/satellite boxes, but the recordings made on the DVD will be standard definition (480i), not high definition.

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #188 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

To fill in the blanks for people not familiar:
* existing DVD recorders (with the exception of a couple of expensive models in Japan) can record downconverted HD content from stand-alone HDTV Tuners, HD DVRs and HD cable/satellite boxes, but the recordings made on the DVD will be standard definition (480i), not high definition.

Thanks for clarifying that, ... the RJTech HDTV Tuner Box I mention above converts ATSC & QAM DTV/HDTV digital broadcast signals to standard definition analog signals, or as ncaahoops wrote downconverted into "standard definition (480i), not high definition" signals.

Still looks great though, especially since I'm still recording my TV programs with my ole' Panansonic VCR!

Phil

JBL S-Series / SVS =4D

post #189 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know all HD receivers can output downconverted versions of the HD material. We've always been able to record such content. The point of this thread still stands: You cannot record IN HD RESOLUTION on current DVD Recorders. That is still true unless you count the $3000 BluRay recorder that's available only in Japan.
post #190 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as I know all HD receivers can output downconverted versions of the HD material. We've always been able to record such content. The point of this thread still stands: You cannot record IN HD RESOLUTION on current DVD Recorders. That is still true unless you count the $3000 BluRay recorder that's available only in Japan.

Thanks bobkart, didn't know that ... "all HD receivers can output downconverted versions of the HD material." ... since I don't have an HD receiver.

Since I only have the Comcast Limited Basic Cable service (no box just coax cable), I wanted to record my favorite HD channels programs so having a QAM Tuner was important which the RJTech HDTV Tuner box has.

Phil

JBL S-Series / SVS =4D

post #191 of 585 Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

Thanks for clarifying that, ... the RJTech HDTV Tuner Box I mention above converts ATSC & QAM DTV/HDTV digital broadcast signals to standard definition analog signals, or as ncaahoops wrote downconverted into "standard definition (480i), not high definition" signals.

Still looks great though, especially since I'm still recording my TV programs with my ole' Panansonic VCR!

Phil

I too (among other forum users as well) have noticed the improvements with the downconverted-HD as opposed to the regular channels. With the DVD recorder at LP I noticed visible improvement of HD-down-to-480i compared to SD. Since you mentioned VCR, I didn't think of trying that combination, before, so I'll give it a try to see how it looks with my VCR SP and EP.

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #192 of 585 Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Hey guys, I just got the $60 refurb samsung dvd-r135... Either they never fixed it when they refurbed it, or I missed something... I hooked up the svideo OUT from the comcast box to the DVR Svideo in... and recording video works fine.... I also hooked up the RCA red and white wires from the RCA OUT to the the DVR RCA IN... but no sound gets recorded...

if i play a normal dvd on the DVR, sound works fine, but thats obviosuly coming from the RCA OUT to my amp...

what am i missing? I have nothing else hooked up... I did not hook up the coaxial in and out wires, since im grabing the TV feed from the box

thanks!
post #193 of 585 Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira503 View Post

Hey guys, I just got the $60 refurb samsung dvd-r135... Either they never fixed it when they refurbed it, or I missed something... I hooked up the svideo OUT from the comcast box to the DVR Svideo in... and recording video works fine.... I also hooked up the RCA red and white wires from the RCA OUT to the the DVR RCA IN... but no sound gets recorded...

if i play a normal dvd on the DVR, sound works fine, but thats obviosuly coming from the RCA OUT to my amp...

what am i missing? I have nothing else hooked up... I did not hook up the coaxial in and out wires, since im grabing the TV feed from the box

thanks!

Please ask this in a new thread. Your audio issue is off topic here.
post #194 of 585 Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Well, just to give you all options to consider for a DVD recorder, I recently bought an el-cheapo RCA DRC8052N DVD recorder from WalMart ($99) and have my SD Dish satellite receiver's s-video hooked up to this device. This thing is basically advertised as an 'upconverting' DVD player and recorder. What that translates to, in this device, is a DVD player that 'upsamples' DVDs that you play in it , which you can then output in 480p, 720p, or 1080i resolution over the unit's HDMI output.

A really nice side benefit that RCA managed to put into this thing is that you can also use the same 'upsampling' circuitry to process the input video streams for immediate/real time output over HDMI as well, with the selected source's stereo audio input mutiplexed in to boot. As I said, this allows me to connect the s-video from my Dish receiver up for both recording and real-time 'upsampling' to 1080p.

I have tried several other A/V receivers which just translate composite, s-video and component inputs to HDMI at whatever their native resolution is and can turn them into progressive formats up through 720 resolutions - what these units advertise as 'upconversion' but is just 'make progressive and route over HDMI.'

I have been very disappointed with the results coming from any SD TV source run through these receivers when seen on my 42" plasma display. But this little device is magic! It makes my Dish channels look amazing, in many cases better than the non-HD programming that the local HD stations transmit for shows not recorded in HD, and far better than any other devices I have tried, or when I directly hooked the Dish receiver's s-video into my plasma display.

The SD TV 'upsampling' is my main use of the device now, though I bought it to put all the old home VHS movies on DVD. The other benefit, of course, is that I can record anything not copy-protected right from Dish and my Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV tuner's s-video output, which I hooked into one of the recorder's other inputs. This lets me record 16:9 format HD TV, though of course this is only in 480i resolution since that is what all non-HD DVD recorders record in, as we have all learned from this forum. This is a side benefit since the HDTV's tuner's 'main' output for me is HDMI and is hooked into my JVC RX-D412B A/V receiver. This receiver processes the audio channels from the RCA DVD recorder HDMI input and the HDTV tuner HDMI input and switches whichever video source I select to a single HDMI output hooked to my plasma monitor.

This setup also lets me get away with an A/V receiver that only has two HDMI inputs, since one of them is the RCA DVD player which handles DVD playback and the 'upsampled' Dish TV on one HDMI input. Staying with a two-HDMI A/V reciever saves you several hundred $$, which more than covers the cost of the DVD recorder, to say nothing of the absolutely amazing SD 'upsampling' it delivers.
post #195 of 585 Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post

No current DVD recorder, available in the American market at least, will record high definition content IN HIGH DEFINITION RESOLUTION.

You can with a DVD recorder connected to a PC.
post #196 of 585 Old 02-03-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCard View Post

You can with a DVD recorder connected to a PC.

It makes no difference what you connect to a DVD recorder: they only record 480i video.
post #197 of 585 Old 02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect he means to say a DVD Burner connected to a PC. And we know this, I do it myself. People often confuse DVD Recorder (like a VCR) with DVD Burner (just the drive).

To DanielCard, this Forum is about DVD Recorders, not DVD Burners. The point of this thread still stands, DVD Recorders can't record in HD resolution, unless you count BluRay Recorders, which arguably are not DVD Recorders (since they record BluRay discs, not DVDs).
post #198 of 585 Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:

To DanielCard, this Forum is about DVD Recorders, not DVD Burners.

The two terms are interchangeable where I'm from. And from other places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_recorder And a DVD recorder in a computer does the same functions as a standalone DVD recorder.
post #199 of 585 Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But the two types of devices are not interchangeable for the purposes of these forums, whatever you want to call them.
post #200 of 585 Old 02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The two terms are interchangeable where I'm from.

But not here.
post #201 of 585 Old 02-04-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The two terms are interchangeable where I'm from. And from other places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_recorder And a DVD recorder in a computer does the same functions as a standalone DVD recorder.

I am not familiar with most of the other sub-forums at AVS, so I do not know where the computer-based dvd burners are discussed.

I am guessing the admins of the forums divided them into multiple forums and sub-forums in order to keep their size manageable and make it easier for people to focus on their specific areas of interest, so this forum is focusing on "stand-alone DVD recorder devices". For example dvd players are divided into HD and SD forums, even though they all play dvds, and the HD further broken down into BluRay/HD-DVD sub-sub-forums. Or something like that

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #202 of 585 Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Since this thread refers to recording HD from a STB to a DVD-R in 480i SD, is it possible to connect HD DVD or blu-ray (or PS3) to a DVD-R via composite or S-Video? I am looking at the Samsung R-135 for S-video input,, and although I recently learned about the moto 3416 (along with most other STB's) not sending anamorphic to DVD on composite or S-video, hence the advantage to a component in DVD-R (although I heard some STB's still wont send anamorphic even over component, )I can still ZOOM with the tv and barely notice a difference compared to the HDMI feed.

post #203 of 585 Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as you send 480i to the recorder, it can record it (Copy Protection notwithstanding). It doesn't matter where the 480i signal is coming from.
post #204 of 585 Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 AM

I don't think the PS3 outputs 480i.
post #205 of 585 Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it has to or else you could only use it with an HDTV.

If it has Composite Video or S-Video outputs then it can output 480i.
post #206 of 585 Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM

You're right, sorry. I've got hi def on the brain lately.
post #207 of 585 Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 AM

"hi def recording to DVD is possible" sure, as possible as driving a car at 500MPH

the answer will be the same - you run out of 'space' *very* fast!!
post #208 of 585 Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Amusing thread. I have been making and using HD recordings on red laser DVD media since 2003. You can do so quite easily using a Home Theater PC with an HDTV tuner card. The process is:

1) Record the ATSC program to your hard disk using the software that came with your tuner board, and selecting "Transport Stream" file format (i.e. "filename.ts" files).

2) Burn the DVDs using DATA mode versus VIDEO mode in your HTPC DVD writer, using whatever free software came with the drive, or even the built-in Windows software.

3) Play back the DVDs by inserting them in a DVD-ROM drive and double-clicking on the .ts files to start playback. The recordings are in native HD format complete with subchannels, they are bit-for-bit perfect and indistinguishable from live broadcasts, but can be played only in a HTPC, not any conventional DVD player. As long as your DVD drive is 12X or faster, there will be perfect playback without stutter.

A one hour program will fill two single layer DVDs or one DL disk. A two hour movie will take two DL disks. I use two optical drives in my HTPC (one DVD-ROM and the DVD burner drive)and make a playlist file to play the transport stream files sequentially from two disks without interruption. (There is a 4-second or so pause as playback switches from one disk to the next, and the second drive spins up to speed).

With the recent DVD-R bulk pricing at Fry's, I have been paying 19 cents per disk, and the media cost for recording an hour of HD programming is therefore 38 cents.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #209 of 585 Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem burning HD material to DVD. I do it with HDV camcorder footage, play back on a Toshiba HD DVD player. Up to 24 minutes per disc, about 45 for DL.

Since the DVD Standard (not WMV-HD, HD DVD or BluRay) allows for at most 720x480 resolution, there will never be a recorder/burner/whatever that creates DVD Standard discs containing HD material. That to me is what this thread is trying to say. Not that you can't put HD video on a DVD.
post #210 of 585 Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM

Squonk:

Could you update this Sticky from Nov. 2005?

Lwefring
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page