I have two Panny DMR-EH75Vs.
post #183 of 193 Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Dug up this classic Squonk thread to see how things have changed.
I currently have 14 DVDRs(OK I'm sure Digado has me beat but not too bad) all but one are Panasonics, they are as follows:

(1) EH-59 (one of my most recent purchases, International Panasonic w/hdd)
(2) EH-55's (recently picked up the second on Craigslist)
(1) Toshiba XS-35 (picked up from the same guy I got the EH-55 from) haven't even tried it out, I'm still trying to read the book(manual). Man this thing does everything except butter my toast, he said he used it little and AFA he knows the burner is good.
(1) EH-50 (pawn shop purchase that I've been using quite a bit lately)
(1) EZ-28 (Craigslist purchase that I've used little, looks like new)
(4) ES-30v combos that refuse to quit (one regular use, 2 rarely used)
(1) ES-25 (regular use)
(3) ES-15 (one shelved, 2 in somewhat regular use)

To this list add 13 DVD players, as follows:
(8) Sony's (4 regular 4 upconverters)
(1) Pioneer 410 upconverter
(1) Sammy 845 upconverter
(1) Philips (rarely used, not the best PQ)
(1) LG DVD/HDTV tuner (shelved, poor PQ on DVD side)
(1) Harmon Tec (shelved, POS)

OK all of you other collectors, how has your collection changed recently?
Oh I never bought the TR-50(and glad I didn't) but I purchased a lifetime Tivo HD and upgraded the internal hdd to 1TB. I use it for the majority of my timeshifting.

Hi , Jjeff, Church AV Guy and ti-triodes, I need help from you guys. This might not be the right place to discuss this subject, but I don’t know where to go.

My Panny EH-55 dvd drive stop reading any dvds, I have a lot un-finalized dvds, I read threads from AVS Forum, your guys saying that the Panny dvd recorders are backward compatible that they might read the un-finalized dvds written by previous models and finalize them.

Since you guys own EH-55, EH-59 or/and EH-69, I would appreciate any of you would do the experiment that dvds written by EH-55, read and finalized by EH-59 or EH-69.

I would like to find out the fact before ordering an EH-59 or EH69.

If these EH-59 or EH-69 cannot do the job, would it be working by fixing the dvd drive?

Thanks

kimt
post #184 of 193 Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yes you can finalize any of your DVDs(as long as they aren't corrupt and unfinalizable) in any Panasonic including internationals(for sure post '03 when thumbnails were added). I do this all the time. The only slight caveat with the internationals I've found out(which won't effect you) is if you title any of your recordings on a international, the titles won't carry over to a N. American Panasonic. I'm talking about unfinalized DVDs, of course finalized discs carry over.
On your second point, have you tried cleaning your EH-55's spindle? Generally thats the cause of DVD drive problems, if you have then you might want to PM mickinct, he's a member at AVS who does component level repair to Panasonic DVDRs. Your EH-55 is a very prized DVDR and would really be worth fixing. I'd guess fixing your EH-55s drive would be at least 1/2 of purchasing a new or even floor model EH-59.
Mick in out of CT but several people have shipped their units to him with very favorable reviews.
post #185 of 193 Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Yes you can finalize any of your DVDs(as long as they aren't corrupt and unfinalizable) in any Panasonic including internationals(for sure post '03 when thumbnails were added). I do this all the time. The only slight caveat with the internationals I've found out(which won't effect you) is if you title any of your recordings on a international, the titles won't carry over to a N. American Panasonic. I'm talking about unfinalized DVDs, of course finalized discs carry over.
On your second point, have you tried cleaning your EH-55's spindle? Generally thats the cause of DVD drive problems, if you have then you might want to PM mickinct, he's a member at AVS who does component level repair to Panasonic DVDRs. Your EH-55 is a very prized DVDR and would really be worth fixing. I'd guess fixing your EH-55s drive would be at least 1/2 of purchasing a new or even floor model EH-59.
Mick in out of CT but several people have shipped their units to him with very favorable reviews.

Jjeff, thank you for you answers. It was very helpful and quick.

Yes, I did clean the lens, the rubber hub/spindle area by opening the lid of dvd drive and it doesn't work. I could never have done this by myself without yours and DigaDo's instruction.

I am considering buying or fixing.

World Wide Voltage.com is selling EH-69 Pal/ntsc region free @384.99 on line. I would do some research about this website then decide what to do. It looks like buying EH-69 has an advantage.

Thank you again.

Kimt
post #186 of 193 Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the EH-59(smaller HDD and no SD card reader) and it's one, if not my favorite DVDR. My EH-55s are probably my second favorite. The EH-59/69s have the advantage of a much easier to program scheduler(not TVGOS) although if you actually had a TVGOS signal, TVGOS may be easier on the EH-55. Remember the internationals don't have the IR blaster, if thats important to you.
I've never dealt with the company you mentioned, B&H, JR or WorldImport are the most mentioned companies when dealing with the internationals. Not to say the company you mentioned is bad, just haven't heard of them.
post #187 of 193 Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRECORERJUNKIE View Post

I now have the following Panasonic DVD Recorders:

E50 (1)
E60 (1)
ES10 (2)
ES15 (4) One still unopened in box purchased for $50 on Craigslist
E85H (1) Still haven't sent it in to Panasonic for repairs
EH50 (2)
EH55 (1) Just acquired this machine on Craigslist for $100, used in excellent condition plus the HDD wasn't never used at all (the owner didn't understand how to use it). Believe it or not, I drove 140 miles round trip for this great machine (I am a DVD RECORDER JUNKIE you know).

I bought an E80H DVD Recorder 2 years ago for $40 on Craigslist & immediately sold it on Ebay for $280. That model not having HS dub didn't appeal to me.

1 1/2 years later I have now sold the unopened ES15 on Ebay for $250, sold the non-working E85H for $100, bought 2 ES20s still sealed on Craigslist for $50 each & sold them for $200 each on Ebay.

Just this past Friday I bought another EH55 on Craigslist for $150. It's in perfect condition with no scatches on the unit. Only thing missing is the original box.

Although I still have 7 of them, I no longer use the non HDD DVD recorders I have. The EH50s & EH55s have me very spoiled. Great machines.
post #188 of 193 Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm a legal videographer, so I use two at a time on my cart -- one in SP mode, the other in LP.

Originals: (now in my office for editing purposes, dubbing, etc. Used for 10 yrs before upgrading)
1 x EH85
1 x EH80

Now on my cart:
1 x EH59
1 x EH67

Just ordered last night: (will probably know well by the time questions are asked of me on them)
2 x Magnavox 513H refurb

-Kelly
post #189 of 193 Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM

I own a Panny DMR-EH75V and a Panny DMR EH55
I bought a Maggie H2160MW9A a few years ago when the Pannys became obsolete with the digital switchover. I must say that I have not really gotten comfy with the Maggie as I feel that it is no where near as easy to use as the Pannys are. Too bad the Pannys are pretty useless. I bought them because I refuse to pay more for a DVR from the cable company.
post #190 of 193 Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munga7 View Post

I own a Panny DMR-EH75V and a Panny DMR EH55
I bought a Maggie H2160MW9A a few years ago when the Pannys became obsolete with the digital switchover. I must say that I have not really gotten comfy with the Maggie as I feel that it is no where near as easy to use as the Pannys are. Too bad the Pannys are pretty useless. I bought them because I refuse to pay more for a DVR from the cable company.

Pannys are obsolete and pretty useless?

In our household we have several analog tuner Panasonic DVD recorders in daily use. Currently, these Panasonic analog tuner recorders set up for daily use include two 2005 DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD models, two 2006 DMR-ES35 models, one 2006 DMR-ES25 and two 2005 DMR-ES30 models. These Panasonic recorders receive their signals from Comcast Motorola HD converter boxes, Motorola SD converter boxes, Zenith DTT901 CECBs and/or a Monoprice LKV2000 VGA to S-Video/composite RCA converter box streaming an internet subscription TV service or from other internet video sources. (On Thursday I streamed and recorded the twelve-hour 1987 ABC miniseries "Amerika" to one of the DMR-EH50 models and later high-speed dubbed to DVDs the entire mini-series, three promos, the ABC special "The Storm Over Amerika" and the Ted Koppel Viewpoint "Amerika" discussion. The Panasonic analog tuner models record from their S-Video, Composite (RCA) video or RF inputs.

There are also two digital tuner Panasonic DMR-EZ17 recorders set up for daily use recording from analog channel 3 from a five recorder RF daisy chain that also includes Philips 3575 and Magnavox 515 and 2160A HDD/DVD recorders. (Currently I have three Magnavox 2160 models set aside as standby recorders.) None of these digital tuner recorders are using their digital tuners when recording.

There is also a tunerless Panasonic DMR-EA18 set up for daily use through a S-Video input from a Comcast Motorola HD converter box.

The two Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders average around 60 recording hours per month. The other Panasonic recorders each average between 80 and 110 recording hours per month. In total I have around thirty Panasonic recorders, most of which are set aside for standby use or rotation into or out of daily service. The rotations also allow for regular DVD Drive servicing at eight to ten month intervals or parts swapping and/or other repairs when necessary.

Of the sixteen Panasonic, Magnavox, Philips and Toshiba recorders we have set up for daily use only two of them are actually recording from their internal digital tuners. One is a Magnavox 2080 HDD/DVD recorder set up for recording clear QAM signals, and the other is a Philips 3576 set up for recording ATSC signals.

Pannys are obsolete and pretty useless? Panasonic analog tuner recorders get quite a workout in our household.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #191 of 193 Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

And just last night for the first time in 6 months? I used my EH-55 for a live recording. Both my Tivos tuners were in use recording other events that wouldn't be repeated(at least for quite some time) so I rescanned my CM-7000(Channel Master CECB(OTA digital tuner)) since channels had moved around since I had last used it and I setup a manual TVGOS recording. Everything worked fine.
It's not that I don't use this Panny almost daily but normally all I use it for is to offload my Tivo, realtime via S-video and it does a great job at that
While manual recordings via TVGOS probably isn't as easy as setting up a recording on a DVDR with a built in tuner, it's certainly doable. For the right price I'd take more HDD Pannys in a NY minute
post #192 of 193 Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The last, two HDD/DVD recorders I ever bought were the EH55 and the EH75V, respectively.

The way they integrate so well with my Dish service, using the TVGOS (and not even needing to use the IR blaster), you can be darned well sure I'm still using them - daily, in fact. They also do a bang-up job of upscaling the SD signals from the Dish tuner's s-video out, to my TV over HDMI.

You'd have to pry these two HDD/DVD recorders out of my cold, dead hands. Still have my older E85H on tap, too.
post #193 of 193 Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Pannys are obsolete and pretty useless? Panasonic analog tuner recorders get quite a workout in our household.

Quote:

And just last night for the first time in 6 months? I used my EH-55 for a live recording. Both my Tivos tuners were in use recording other events that wouldn't be repeated(at least for quite some time) so I rescanned my CM-7000(Channel Master CECB(OTA digital tuner)) since channels had moved around since I had last used it and I setup a manual TVGOS recording. Everything worked fine.
It's not that I don't use this Panny almost daily but normally all I use it for is to offload my Tivo, realtime via S-video and it does a great job at that
While manual recordings via TVGOS probably isn't as easy as setting up a recording on a DVDR with a built in tuner, it's certainly doable. For the right price I'd take more HDD Pannys in a NY minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The last, two HDD/DVD recorders I ever bought were the EH55 and the EH75V, respectively.

The way they integrate so well with my Dish service, using the TVGOS (and not even needing to use the IR blaster), you can be darned well sure I'm still using them - daily, in fact. They also do a bang-up job of upscaling the SD signals from the Dish tuner's s-video out, to my TV over HDMI.

You'd have to pry these two HDD/DVD recorders out of my cold, dead hands. Still have my older E85H on tap, too.

My usage matches the three of you quite closely. I have DirecTV DVRs, and like Ramm and jjeff, I have no problem using them to record, realtime, from my HD receivers to my various Panasonic DVD recorders. I *DO* have to agree with Munga7 on one thing though, if you really need a tuner, then the Panasonics will not work for you. Luckily, I don't need a tuner, so they work just fine.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page