Media deals this week - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3001 of 3013 Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Kelson - my only logic in buying the 6X was that it would give me a greater "margin" when i burn at 4X which is what i normally burn at

but with these, i actually dropped the burn speed to 2X and still wouldn't verify - again, six discs in a row would not verify but one of those six did play in the bd player

i've since tried 2 more, small 1.5 gb video files, (episodes i recorded recently, and recorded at normal speed) - neither would verify on the OQ discs. Meanwhile the verbatims have been 100% over about 12 discs, half of which were DL files compressed to 23GB files. Even compressing them didn't add any corruption or errors is my point.

One of the posts in another forum, the OP indicated his discs, fresh off the spindle showed discoloration or what he called "faded" spots on the disc's burn side.

if you want, i'll be glad to mail you a few of these and you can judge them for yourself - but like i said, when i've got the LG 5.25" burner set up (building a new computer), i'll know for absolute certain it's the discs.

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3013 Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Good choice on the Verbatims. With your particular burners I wouldn't use the Optical Quantums any more.

Something seems really odd about that listing in Amazon.com. The 25 spindle is immediately available for shipping.
I have moved into the BD burning realm and saw a post earlier about how Optical Quantums were someone's discs of choice.

Which burners would these NOT be a good fit for? and why not
post #3003 of 3013 Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I have moved into the BD burning realm and saw a post earlier about how Optical Quantums were someone's discs of choice.

Which burners would these NOT be a good fit for? and why not
I use LG burners. I prefer the 4X disks (Philips). I've burned several hundred of these at 4X with only a single verify failure and that was my fault for trying to burn it faster than it was rated.

I have OQ disks burned over 3.5 yr ago that are just fine. If you search back in this thread for my posts you will find more I've written about OQ BD-R.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3004 of 3013 Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I will have to check exactly which kind of burner that I have ( I do believe it is an LG model)

As I have a bunch of events to burn coming up, I was planning on getting 2 -packs of those discs within a week or 2. I wanted to make sure that the issue from a few posts back wouldn't affect my purchase
post #3005 of 3013 Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
SAW that and I'm thinking it's a typo, or at least i'm hoping it is - the free shipping choice in the shipping selection list said 5 to 8 days
but it could be the "weeks" that's accurate - after i bought the OQ BDRs, those were a 5 week delivery

either way, i'll take em- the Optical Quantum's i won't be reordering if they were free overnite delivery
checked my order on amazon today and it's showing delivery estimate of Dec 29 to Jan 14th - so that 5-8 weeks is not a typo

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #3006 of 3013 Old 11-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I will have to check exactly which kind of burner that I have ( I do believe it is an LG model)

As I have a bunch of events to burn coming up, I was planning on getting 2 -packs of those discs within a week or 2. I wanted to make sure that the issue from a few posts back wouldn't affect my purchase
These are the disks I buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Optical-Quantu...ptical+quantum

Amazon users have given them a 4.5 star rating. They are listed as in-stock with delivery next week if ordered today.

If you have doubts or feel uneasy about buying a generic BD-R, then go for the Verbatim -- they will cost you 2X.

edit: LOL -- in the time it took me to write the post, Amazon raised the price of the 50 spindle by $4.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 11-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.
post #3007 of 3013 Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I ordered 2 50-packs of the Optical Quantum's 6X today from Amazon. They are cheaper per unit than anything decent at my local Microcenter.

Thank you very much for the tip, Kelson
post #3008 of 3013 Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I ordered 2 50-packs of the Optical Quantum's 6X today from Amazon. They are cheaper per unit than anything decent at my local Microcenter.

Thank you very much for the tip, Kelson
I hope you got the limited time offer of $21 for a 50 pack spindle.

Optical Quantum OQBDR06LT-50 6X 25GB BD-R Single Layer Blu-Ray Recordable Blank Media Logo Top, 50-Disc Spindle

At that price I'm tempted to order another two spindles myself.
$0.42/disk for BD-R is hard to beat.

- kelson h

post #3009 of 3013 Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

i did not see that special anywhere; I cancelled the order I placed 2 hours ago, hopefully it will cancel and then I will use the great deal offer

42 vs 58 is a big difference

edit: it was a success

thank you again for the heads up on the great price; I think I will get 3 of the 50-packs, about the same price for two

cant pass up the great price
post #3010 of 3013 Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Optical Quantum OQBDR04LT-50 4X 25 GB BD-R Single Layer Blu-Ray Recordable Logo Top 50-Disc Spindle has dropped in price to $18.99 at Amazon.
post #3011 of 3013 Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
The Optical Quantum OQBDR04LT-50 4X 25 GB BD-R Single Layer Blu-Ray Recordable Logo Top 50-Disc Spindle has dropped in price to $18.99 at Amazon.
Wouldn't you know it. My wife ordered stuff from Amazon on Sunday and needed another item to surpass $35 and get free shipping so I added a spindle of the OQBDR04LT-50. They were selling for $20.45 which I thought was a great price -- at the time.
billmich likes this.

- kelson h

post #3012 of 3013 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Wouldn't you know it. My wife ordered stuff from Amazon on Sunday and needed another item to surpass $35 and get free shipping so I added a spindle of the OQBDR04LT-50. They were selling for $20.45 which I thought was a great price -- at the time.
Sine I posted my msg the price has gone up to $20.45 & back down to $18.99, Typical Amazon pricing jumping up & down.
post #3013 of 3013 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Sine I posted my msg the price has gone up to $20.45 & back down to $18.99, Typical Amazon pricing jumping up & down.
I was looking to buy a color laser all-in-one. One model I was looking at was selling for $320 on Amazon. When I went through all the options and decided to buy that printer I went back into Amazon only to find it listing for $347. You have to be patient and diligent with Amazon. I waited and watched for several weeks and finally I caught it on a price drop back to $318 and ordered it -- it's currently back up to $331.
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page