AVS Forum banner

Media deals this week

353K views 3K replies 254 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Circuit City has the TDK 25pks of +R or -R for $8. So far I have had zero problems with the + or - TDK 25packs.

There's also a 50pk of Staples branded discs at $8 (see other thread on this). So far, I have had 5 succesful burns and one that stopped at 2/3rds of the way proclaming the disc is full. The visible writeable area of the disc is not full. It won't record any more but it was finalized and can play fine on a stand-alone player.

Does anyone have any DVD-RW deals? They are not as common as +R/-R :)

#2,604 ·
#2,605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21285786

They had 689 spindles in stock at 10:45am and are now down to 677.

I'd like to take advantage of this offer, BUT, my inventory currently is about 2400 blank T-Y disks. I really don't need any more yet, and I would have no place to store them. This is a very good deal. I hope JVC T-Y keep up the quality and don't start sacrificing it for cost.

#2,606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21287559

I'd like to take advantage of this offer, BUT, my inventory currently is about 2400 blank T-Y disks. I really don't need any more yet, and I would have no place to store them. This is a very good deal. I hope JVC T-Y keep up the quality and don't start sacrificing it for cost.

The Optical Quantum white-top and silver logo-top BD-R are at $0.95/disk at SMS if you buy enough (6 spindles of 10) to qualify for free-shipping.

Now here is what's weird. If you order 6 spindles of either flavor the price is $9.49/spindle ($0.95/disk). If you order a mix of flavors -- i.e. 5 of one and 1 of the other -- the price is $8.99/spindle ($0.90/disk) -- go figure. On top of that, if you buy today, a "PC3D" promo code is available that gives you an extra $3 off. That takes the price for 6 mixed flavor spindles down to $50.95 which still qualifies for free shipping and gives you 60 disks for $0.85/disk.

That's not as good as the earlier ,but expired, $0.80/disk deal I posted to you last month, but is the closest I've seen it come and still pretty good. Based on 5xDVD-R = 1xBD-R that comes in at $0.17/DVD-R equivalent.

Did you get your BD burner hooked up yet?

#2,607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21289561

Now here is what's weird. If you order 6 spindles of either flavor the price is $9.49/spindle ($0.95/disk). If you order a mix of flavors -- i.e. 5 of one and 1 of the other -- the price is $8.99/spindle ($0.90/disk) -- go figure.

I think you found one of their "buy together and save" deals. The same thing happened to me last month when I bought two 100 packs of TY inkjet printable DVD-Rs, then added two 100 pack paper sleeves to the order. They were running the the PC3D promo then too.

#2,608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F /forum/post/21289689

I think you found one of their "buy together and save" deals. The same thing happened to me last month when I bought two 100 packs of TY inkjet printable DVD-Rs, then added two 100 pack paper sleeves to the order. They were running the the PC3D promo then too.

I wish they would say something about it on the page rather than discovery by accident. Do you think they do this on purpose or is it just a glitch in their ordering system we can take advantage of.

#2,609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21289767

I wish they would say something about it on the page rather than discovery by accident. Do you think they do this on purpose or is it just a glitch in their ordering system we can take advantage of.

Open your first link and look on the right side of the page. Scroll through the buy together deals and you will see an option to buy the other discs as a package deal.

#2,610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F /forum/post/21289805

Open your first link and look on the right side of the page. Scroll through the buy together deals and you will see an option to buy the other discs as a package deal.

Wow, talk about non-obvious. I usually glance at that box but it never registered on me to scroll through it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Anyway, the deal they list in that side box is not the one that pops up at checkout. If you buy one of each it comes up as $17.98 not $18.98 as listed in the side box.

#2,611 ·

Quote:

...Did you get your BD burner hooked up yet?

Oh yes! That took me way over a half an hour, maybe as much as forty minutes.
really, it was up and running so fast it surprised even me. Since I had my annual Thanksgiving two week vacation form Southern Calinfornia to Minnesota (used to go at Christmas, but one year it was in the 80s when the jet took off, and -20 when it landed--and THAT was the end of Christmas in Minnesota!
) which put me rather behind in a lot of stuff so I haven't had a chance to use it, but I'm slowly getting back to the stage where I can get the time to do something with it.

#2,612 ·

Quote:

The Optical Quantum white-top and silver logo-top BD-R are at $0.95/disk at SMS if you buy enough (6 spindles of 10) to qualify for free-shipping.

Now here is what's weird. If you order 6 spindles of either flavor the price is $9.49/spindle ($0.95/disk). If you order a mix of flavors -- i.e. 5 of one and 1 of the other -- the price is $8.99/spindle ($0.90/disk) -- go figure. On top of that, if you buy today, a "PC3D" promo code is available that gives you an extra $3 off. That takes the price for 6 mixed flavor spindles down to $50.95 which still qualifies for free shipping and gives you 60 disks for $0.85/disk.

That's not as good as the earlier ,but expired, $0.80/disk deal I posted to you last month, but is the closest I've seen it come and still pretty good. Based on 5xDVD-R = 1xBD-R that comes in at $0.17/DVD-R equivalent.

Nice try, but I'm afraid not.
You forget, or maybe didn't know that I live in California, AND, I will be charged sales tax. That makes the cost per disk just a little over $0.91. Still, that's less than the cost of Verbatim +R DL media, and a LOT less than the JVC T-Y -R DL media.

#2,613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21285693

Oh, and Dave, I DID forget to mention that those ribbons are pretty expensive. If you are "liberal" and write two lables per disk (top and bottom) the actual cost per disk can be pretty high. The disks are less than $0.30 each, so if it costs $8.00 per ribbon and acording to the description: "ribbon will print up to 50 CDs using one print area," that could cost you over $0.15 per disk just for the printing!
Amazon.com has a three pack of the ribbons for $20.37 making it 13.5 cents per disk.

I took one of those ribbon critridges apart once to examine it, and the actual carbon used is a very small percentage of the total area. There is a lot of waste. They do work though.

I've unrolled a few too. Here's my economizing methods:

By in three-packs, they're a lot cheaper.

Google the 3-pk item number. Often, there are cheaper places than Amazon, but be sure and consider the shipping, if any.

Sometimes one color is cheaper than another. Go for the cheaper color, if you find it acceptable.

Keep your labels simple - only use one half of the disc.

Mostly I record movies, many of which are in 1.37:1 OAR. For those, I only put the title on the label, (and the year, when there are other films with the same title.) I use the 2 lines of 24 characters mode. I often split titles over the two lines. This reduces the length of the printing, using less ribbon.

For anamorphic and LB films of different OARs, I have phrases stored in "Phrase Memory." I use the one line - 24 characters, 1 line - 49 characters mode, and put the OAR info on the 49 line.

Typically, I get 60-65 labels per tape.

BTW, I think the reason they say to label first, and burn second, is because the labeler uses heat to transfer the print. Perhaps that could affect the dye.

#2,614 ·
kjbawc, from someone who uses one these disk labellers, I have to agree with you. Those are all very good suggestions for extending the ribbon, and making the best use of it for the money. Thanks!

#2,615 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/21297638

I've unrolled a few too. Here's my economizing methods:

By in three-packs, they're a lot cheaper.

Google the 3-pk item number. Often, there are cheaper places than Amazon, but be sure and consider the shipping, if any.

Sometimes one color is cheaper than another. Go for the cheaper color, if you find it acceptable.

Keep your labels simple - only use one half of the disc.

Mostly I record movies, many of which are in 1.37:1 OAR. For those, I only put the title on the label, (and the year, when there are other films with the same title.) I use the 2 lines of 24 characters mode. I often split titles over the two lines. This reduces the length of the printing, using less ribbon.

For anamorphic and LB films of different OARs, I have phrases stored in "Phrase Memory." I use the one line - 24 characters, 1 line - 49 characters mode, and put the OAR info on the 49 line.

Typically, I get 60-65 labels per tape.

BTW, I think the reason they say to label first, and burn second, is because the labeler uses heat to transfer the print. Perhaps that could affect the dye.

Thanks for the tips, I will try to use them. I suppose I should know what "OAR" and "LB" stands for but somehow these terms have eluded me and Google didn't help me much. If you wouldn't mind educating an old guy, please expand a little.

Dave

#2,618 ·
I'm desperately low on Verbatim 2.4x +R DL discs because I haven't seen anyone post any deals lately and I haven't seen any myself. Well yesterday for the heck of it I figured I'd check Amazon to see what the going rate was. To my surprise they had a 50 spindle for $34.95
They also had the DataLife+ white inkjet series(in the OEM looking spindle) for ~$50/50. I placed 2 of the $34.95 spindles in my cart but didn't order them right away because I wanted to look for other items today. Well upon returning today I was notified their had been a change in my cart price, the spindles went from $34.95 to $50! WTF, a $15 price increase overnight! The DataLife+ went up to $58!

Has anyone else seen this type of thing with Amazon? Why would they be $15 less one day than the next and what is the chance they will be $34.95 in the next month? Dang I sure missed on that one
It didn't say limited time sale or sale of any kind so I didn't realize timing was a issue, I just figured DL discs were really dropping now that BD media seems to be catching on.

If anybody sees a similar deal on 2.4X DL Verbs please post, Amazon even had free shipping.

#2,619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/21344655

I placed 2 of the $34.95 spindles in my cart but didn't order them right away because I wanted to look for other items today. Well upon returning today I was notified their had been a change in my cart price, the spindles went from $34.95 to $50! WTF, a $15 price increase overnight!

You may have missed the $35 special, but the $50 price is still a good deal you might want to take advantage of. I rarely see Verbatim +DL priced at $1/disk let alone below. The prices I observe at the Etailers I monitor typically hover at $1.20-1.25 depending on quantity and whether it is 2.4-6X or 8X. They have been at that price for quite some time as BD-R has been dropping to the $1/disk mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/21344655

Has anyone else seen this type of thing with Amazon?

Seriously, who hasn't. Not just Amazon but all over the net. They have access to the same search engines we do to check competitors' pricing. I was just looking in NewEgg on Monday at 2TB HDD's. The prices seemed to be coming down as the flooded factories are coming back on-line. They had a Hitachi 2TB for $110 (free S/H) that sold as high as $230 last month and sold for $80 pre-flood. On Tuesday (and today) I looked again and the same 2TB Hitachi was back up to $150 ($7 S/H).

#2,620 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21346157

You may have missed the $35 special, but the $50 price is still a good deal you might want to take advantage of. I rarely see Verbatim +DL priced at $1/disk let alone below. The prices I observe at the Etailers I monitor typically hover at $1.20-1.25 depending on quantity and whether it is 2.4-6X or 8X. They have been at that price for quite some time as BD-R has been dropping to the $1/disk mark....

I thought $35 sounded very good but again I hadn't really looked at DL prices lately so I didn't realize what a steal it was

I have probably 20 left and I don't use a ton of DL blanks so I think I'll just keep checking Amazon daily to see what the prices are doing. I've setup a bookmark so just one click and I'll know what their prices are.

Dang dang dang, I should have just ordered them instantly instead of trying to get a larger order together

If I had more BD players and a BD burner I might seriously think about going the BD-R route, I could probably fit 3 DL DVDs on one BD-R which would put the disc cost at not much more than quality SL discs
Problem is I'd hate to lose the compatibility of DVDs where everyone has a DVD player but at least in my family few have BD players. I also have several rooms with only a DVD player, my only BD players are in my media room and lower level main room.

#2,621 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/21348382

If I had more BD players and a BD burner I might seriously think about going the BD-R route, I could probably fit 3 DL DVDs on one BD-R which would put the disc cost at not much more than quality SL discs
Problem is I'd hate to lose the compatibility of DVDs where everyone has a DVD player but at least in my family few have BD players. I also have several rooms with only a DVD player, my only BD players are in my media room and lower level main room.

Not quite 3 full +DL disks closer to 2.5-2.75. BD-R does fit 5 DVD-R. That Panasonic BD-75 is still selling for $80 all over, including Best Buy -- time to upgrade. LG burners = $80.

#2,622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/21348382

Dang dang dang, I should have just ordered them instantly instead of trying to get a larger order together

Who knows what final price would've actually came up once you hit that checkout button though.

I've been hearing that Amazon, BB and others have raised most of their prices way up for Xmas.

I know Walmart sure has - I just about fell over the other day walking through there, just in the grocery section alone. And others around here are telling me it's like that in every store with non-food items, too - they just suddenly jumped way up, specifically for the holidays (even beyond the way everything's been rising so much in recent times otherwise).

#2,623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/21348800

And others around here are telling me it's like that in every store with non-food items, too - they just suddenly jumped way up, specifically for the holidays (even beyond the way everything's been rising so much in recent times otherwise).

Yes, the screamin' deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over; now the retailers are jacking prices to catch the procrastinators. Hey, that's just good business sense.

I'm lying low on capital purchases until after the holiday. Best Buy was offering a 46" Panasonic plasma TV at a ridiculously price over the T'giving weekend. Kinda regret not striking while the iron was hot.

Amazon prices: Sometimes wild price anomalies like the one jjeff saw will occur and they're legit. I've learned to strike when I see 'em.

Year or so ago, they were selling a very fine Yamaha "universal" player for about 75 bucks (MSRP ca. $449.99 or something). Probably a closeout deal or something, but it played SACDs and DVD-Audios AND was highly rated for audio quality, so I jumped in.....for two. Months later I checked in and the price was way up again.

I've noticed the sometimes large fluctuations on certain items. On occasion, I've had an Amazon page up in my browser with something I'm thinking about buying - usually a larger dollar item - and it may be there for several days. I'll refresh the page and the price will go *down*. Is Amazon sophisticated enough to be reading something from a cookie on my computer to ascertain my "fence sitting" status and lower the price a little to get me to pull the trigger?

#2,624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/21349106

Year or so ago, they were selling a very fine Yamaha "universal" player for about 75 bucks (MSRP ca. $449.99 or something). Probably a closeout deal or something, but it played SACDs and DVD-Audios AND was highly rated for audio quality, so I jumped in.....for two. Months later I checked in and the price was way up again.

Yeah, I remember that - I came close to buying one myself. But it was a good thing I passed, because I ended up with what was a better for me, brand new Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi (retail $999), for only $199 (that I also learned of through the audio forums here). All the reviews I read on the Yammy (here and elsewhere) said that it sometimes wouldn't play certain pre-recorded discs. From all the experiences I've had with Pio disc players, that was never an issue, and I haven't been let down so far with this one, either.

I recently saw the Yammy again for only $99 somewhere - but it was a few weeks back, and I imagine they're gone by now (I think they only had two or three).

#2,627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/21349106

Are you talking about the Yamaha DVD-S1800BL 1080p Upconverting DVD SACD Player. Back in 02/10 I picked up 2 "like new" units from Amazon.com warehouse deals site for $59 each. One for my brother and one for a friend My brother really loves that dvd player. My friend likes it because it could be made into a region free dvd player. I went back a few months later and the prices went way up.

Like others have said you see something at a great price you must jump on it. Yesterday I posted on my local Korean message board. About the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player 'like new or very good" condition from Amazon.com Warehouse deals for $57. They had about 8-10 of them. About 6 hours later the prices on all of then went up by$20. A few people on the message board were not happy they missed out on the item for that price.

#2,628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/21348800

I've been hearing that Amazon, BB and others have raised most of their prices way up for Xmas.

I wonder how much is due to the increase in HDD prices because of the Thailand floods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.