Media deals this week - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #3271 of 3298 Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Just curious. Once you have burned one of these successfully on a "good" burner, can you put the disk in your laptop and read/rip it? i.e. once you successfully burn it can it be read by anything that's supposed to read a DVD DL. That's an issue I tend to be concerned about.
Yes they are rippable on say my laptop, which wasn't able to actually burn to that blank disc successfully, they are also playable on any DVD player I've tried.
Before I figured what burners would successfully burn to the Windatas they may have actually burned and verified on say my laptop but when I went to play them in a DVD player they may not always play correctly around the layer break. They'd be playing fine and right after the break they'd start pausing and skipping. Because of this I'm in the habit of writing down the time of the layer break and before I delete the title off my PC I FF through the disc and make sure everything looks alright after the layer break, knock on wood with 3 of my burners(2 full sized LG USB DVD burners and an older Compaq Win7 desktop) they play just fine.
My thought is if they burn, verify and play after the initial burn there is a high chance they will be good down the line. Of course a iffy burn from the start is a recipe for trouble down the line.
My USB LG burners are also the best for ripping iffy or scratched library DVDs, I'll try it on my newer HP PC or laptops and they will fail the rip, try it on my LGs or even older Compaq PC and they rip no problem........voodoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3298 Old 08-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Optical Quantum OQBDR04LT-50 4X 25 GB BD-R Single Layer Blu-Ray Recordable Logo Top 50-Disc Spindle at Amazon for $14.99.
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. Also looks like this is for Prime Members only.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #3273 of 3298 Old 08-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Unfortunately, not many R deals to be had and the ones that are priced cheap are basically all SCAM just listed sellers that while after filing a A-Z claim you'll get your money back, why bother.......
In fact I'd have to believe the just listed seller SCAM is so prevalent on such a wide variety of products I don't see how Amazon can tolerate it......Amazon is getting to be the haven of SCAM sellers the way Ebay was not too long ago
ClearToLand likes this.

Last edited by jjeff; 08-29-2017 at 01:57 PM.

post #3274 of 3298 Old 08-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Unfortunately, not many R deals to be had and the ones that are priced cheap are basically all SCAM just listed sellers that while after filing a A-Z claim you'll get your money back, why bother.......
In fact I'd have to believe the just listed seller SCAM is so prevalent on such a wide variety of products I don't see how Amazon can tolerate it......Amazon is getting to be the haven of SCAM sellers the way Ebay was not too long ago
I'm crossing my fingers that Amazon will drop the price of the Verbatim AZO dvd-rs this coming Black Friday, but I have my doubts.
post #3275 of 3298 Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Optical Quantum OQBDR04LT-50 4X 25 GB BD-R Single Layer Blu-Ray Recordable Logo Top 50-Disc Spindle at Amazon for $14.99.
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. Also looks like this is for Prime Members only.
Thanks, they burn at 4 to 6 in my first gen LG H10 multi format, HD dvd reading burner. Sometimes the 6x disks are on sale for the same price too. I still have about 75 left from the last two spindles I bought but they work well and usually faster then rated with most BD burners.
post #3276 of 3298 Old 08-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Thanks, they burn at 4 to 6 in my first gen LG H10 multi format, HD dvd reading burner. Sometimes the 6x disks are on sale for the same price too. I still have about 75 left from the last two spindles I bought but they work well and usually faster then rated with most BD burners.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't burn the 4X disks at a speed higher than 4X. When I have attempted that in my LG WH16 burners using ImgBurn, they appear to burn just fine but then fail the subsequent verify cycle. Same goes for burning 6X disks at 6X.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3277 of 3298 Old 08-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Last time I bought OQ BD-R was 8/2016. Amazon had the 6X 50packs on sale for $14.99. I bought 4 spindles before realizing I already had 4-5 spindles from the previous sales. Needless to say I have a lot of BD-R sitting around so I'll sit this sale out. Thanks anyway.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3278 of 3298 Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
So Amazon has 100 disk spindles of 16X Verbatim AZO DVD-R for $25.
Is that not a good deal for those disks.

I remember paying $32-35/100 spindle for T-Y 8X Premium DVD-R back in the day.

One of the nice things about being a Prime member is that you tend to only buy from Prime sellers which is either Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. Cuts way down on exposure to scammers.

- kelson h

post #3279 of 3298 Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:

One of the nice things about being a Prime member is that you tend to only buy from Prime sellers which is either Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. Cuts way down on exposure to scammers.
I have not paid Amazons full retail price ($25) in ages. Always been able to get them for about $10 cheaper. But the last time I purchased Verbatim AZ0 Dvd-r for $15 was 11/15. I did buy some Verbatim AZ0 dvd-r for about $13 in 11/16 but I prefer the dvd-r ones. Usually now these only drop by $2-$3 from time to time.
post #3280 of 3298 Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:

While not a big difference, I do like to get my spindles for <$20. I recently paid the $25 as I was basically out but stock-up time is when it gets less than $20. I can't remember the last time I got it ~$15, I remember the good deal on +R's but having Panasonics I really prefer to stick to the -R variety for my DVDRs and use the few +Rs in my PC, I rarely burn SLs in my PC, almost exclusively DLs.
post #3281 of 3298 Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thumbs up I Liked ~$17-18 for 100 Disk Spindles of 16X Verbatim AZOs...

Quote:
Is that not a good deal for those disks

I remember paying $32-35/100 spindle for T-Y 8X Premium DVD-R back in the day...
Although my SIX Magnavox DVDRs (2x2160, 2x513, 2x515; 3 Active and 3 Spares) have been idle / unplugged since my return to TiVo (ONE 4-tuner Roamio Basic w/ Lifetime w/ ONE CableCard in Sep 2015 replaced THREE ReplayTV 5XXXs, in service for slightly over one decade, each using one Magnavox DVDR solely as an ATSC tuner for ClearQAM - CBS, NBC and ABC, along with ONE HP Win7 HP laptop HTPC using a Hauppauge PVR-1212 and a FiOS HD STB for the non ClearQAM channels), IIRC ~$17-18 was the price I was happy to pay for 100 disk spindles of 16X Verbatim AZOs, of which I still have a few hundred unused.
Kelson likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3282 of 3298 Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't burn the 4X disks at a speed higher than 4X. When I have attempted that in my LG WH16 burners using ImgBurn, they appear to burn just fine but then fail the subsequent verify cycle. Same goes for burning 6X disks at 6X.
For whatever reason, in my burner, It is best for me to burn the 6X discs at 4x - ran into a bunch of problems during college bowl season.

Never have an issue at 4X,
At 6X, about 20% of the time, my duplicator tower wont recognize them, and my PS3 wont either...
post #3283 of 3298 Old 09-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
For whatever reason, in my burner, It is best for me to burn the 6X discs at 4x - ran into a bunch of problems during college bowl season.

Never have an issue at 4X,
At 6X, about 20% of the time, my duplicator tower wont recognize them, and my PS3 wont either...
I'm not surprised.
gerrytwo likes this.

- kelson h

post #3284 of 3298 Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not surprised.
I've tested a few burns at 8x , and they have all worked fine, and the time saving is significant, even worth having to re-do it occasionally And I've bumped up the speed on my duplicating tower to 8x with no failures

Is 6x an oddball speed number? Usually they seem to be in multiples of 2.

2/4/8/16...etc

Last edited by billmich; 09-22-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #3285 of 3298 Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM

The thing I like about burning at 4X is that the burn speed is 4X from start to finish. With any higher speed, the burn rate starts lower and has to ramp up in stages to the target speed as it gets further out to the edge of the disk. I feel a lot better about a constant burn speed -- just my personal bias.

- kelson h

post #3286 of 3298 Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

that being said, the disc spins faster at the start (inside) of the disc than at the end (outside)
post #3287 of 3298 Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
No, I believe Kelson is correct according to this article:

http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authori...-reading-speed

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3288 of 3298 Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
No, I believe Kelson is correct according to this article:

http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authori...-reading-speed
Nice link, thanks.

The 4X I like is CLV so the disk does progressively spin down from start to finish to maintain a constant 4X throughout the burn.

As I think about it, I believe my current LG drives use PCAV for burning 6X BD-R and ZCLV for 8X DVD-R.

I'll have to check but I don't think the full disk burn time is significantly different from 4X to 6X on my burners.

- kelson h

post #3289 of 3298 Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice link, thanks.

The 4X I like is CLV so the disk does progressively spin down from start to finish to maintain a constant 4X throughout the burn.

As I think about it, I believe my current LG drives use PCAV for burning 6X BD-R and ZCLV for 8X DVD-R.

I'll have to check but I don't think the full disk burn time is significantly different from 4X to 6X on my burners.
4 to 6 isn't that much, but 4 to 8 is
post #3290 of 3298 Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM

I still think you are playing with fire by burning a 6X disk at 8X. Are you doing a verify cycle against the source after the burn to confirm integrity? If not you may be fooling yourself. Any failures I've had did not present themselves during the burn cycle but only were detected when the verify cycle failed.
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

post #3291 of 3298 Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

explain integrity.......

meaning the disc works now, but wont in 5 years?

how long does verify take?
post #3292 of 3298 Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
^Wow^...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3293 of 3298 Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I still think you are playing with fire by burning a 6X disk at 8X. Are you doing a verify cycle against the source after the burn to confirm integrity? If not you may be fooling yourself. Any failures I've had did not present themselves during the burn cycle but only were detected when the verify cycle failed.
Quote:
explain integrity.......how long does verify take?
I use ImgBurn to do all my BD-R (or occasional DVD-R, +DL) burns.
After the burn is complete, ImgBurn runs a verify cycle where it reads the BD-R and compares it bit-4-bit to the source files. If they match exactly, bit-4-bit, the burn is good and I keep the disc -- that's what I mean by integrity. If they don't match exactly, the verify fails, the burn is bad and the disc goes in the trash. A verify cycle is faster than the burn cycle.

I've never seen a failure during the burn cycle. Failures are only detected during a verify cycle. 98% of the verify failures I've seen with Optical Quantum BD-R is when I've tried to burn a 4X disc faster than its rated speed on my LG burners. Because of that experience, I've never tried to burn an OQ 6X disc faster than 6X.

If you are burning 4X or 6X discs at 8X without a verify cycle and thinking your burns are all good because they made it through the burn cycle, you are fooling yourself.
billmich likes this.

- kelson h

post #3294 of 3298 Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
^Wow^...
not everyone is an expert like you
post #3295 of 3298 Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use ImgBurn to do all my BD-R (or occasional DVD-R, +DL) burns.
After the burn is complete, ImgBurn runs a verify cycle where it reads the BD-R and compares it bit-4-bit to the source files. If they match exactly, bit-4-bit, the burn is good and I keep the disc -- that's what I mean by integrity. If they don't match exactly, the verify fails, the burn is bad and the disc goes in the trash. A verify cycle is faster than the burn cycle.

I've never seen a failure during the burn cycle. Failures are only detected during a verify cycle. 98% of the verify failures I've seen with Optical Quantum BD-R is when I've tried to burn a 4X disc faster than its rated speed on my LG burners. Because of that experience, I've never tried to burn an OQ 6X disc faster than 6X.

If you are burning 4X or 6X discs at 8X without a verify cycle and thinking your burns are all good because they made it through the burn cycle, you are fooling yourself.
Thank you very much for the information, I will incorporate verify in to my equations
post #3296 of 3298 Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

why does the verify cycle spin at rates far exceeding my disc max speed?
post #3297 of 3298 Old 10-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
why does the verify cycle spin at rates far exceeding my disc max speed?
Maximum disc burn speed is different than maximum disc read speed.
billmich likes this.
post #3298 of 3298 Old 10-10-2017, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R 10 Packs Spindle Disc Model 97238 $7.99 w/ promo code

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2C&ignorebbr=1

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement