AVS Forum banner

Media deals this week

353K views 3K replies 254 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Circuit City has the TDK 25pks of +R or -R for $8. So far I have had zero problems with the + or - TDK 25packs.

There's also a 50pk of Staples branded discs at $8 (see other thread on this). So far, I have had 5 succesful burns and one that stopped at 2/3rds of the way proclaming the disc is full. The visible writeable area of the disc is not full. It won't record any more but it was finalized and can play fine on a stand-alone player.

Does anyone have any DVD-RW deals? They are not as common as +R/-R :)

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikDee /forum/post/0

Ok, Thanks Roy, by the way,,, anyone know how good the Staples media is, also I think it might be 4X spd?

One caveat, I rarely burn over 4x in my PC drives even they are 16x. If they had TDK 4x at the same price and quality I would buy them.

However the Pio 633h goes as fast as it wants and the scans look good there.

#106 ·
Someone asked about the speed of the TDK printables at Costco. The 100 pc cakeboxes at my Costco are 16x. I have not done a media ID check on them. Even though I am now a dyed in the wool T.Y. user, I couldn't pass up the 2 for 1 coupon special.

#107 ·
Supermediastore.com has 4X Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for $32/100 or $60/200 -- free shipping.

The 4X media ID is listed as being: TYG01/TYG02/TYG03 (which in the past denoted 4X, 8X, 16X)

Also, 8X Taiyo Yuden DVD-R is $70/200 -- free shipping. They list media ID for these as TYG02.

Supermediastore.com is a reputable dealer for selling genuine MIJ Taiyo-Yuden disks and T-Y disks are the best.

Sunny, if you buy enough of these to keep on hand, you won't be tempted to stray

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/0

Supermediastore.com has 4X Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for $32/100 or $60/200 -- free shipping.

The 4X media ID is listed as being: TYG01/TYG02/TYG03 (which in the past denoted 4X, 8X, 16X)

Also, 8X Taiyo Yuden DVD-R is $70/200 -- free shipping. They list media ID for these as TYG02.

Supermediastore.com is a reputable dealer for selling genuine MIJ Taiyo-Yuden disks and T-Y disks are the best.

Sunny, if you buy enough of these to keep on hand, you won't be tempted to stray

I purchased from SuperMediaStore a couple of years ago when Ritek was still good and also had a good experience. However, there is some basic gratification to walk out of a store with product in hand. I cannot really explain it better than that.

I had pretty much sold myself on Vertbatim 8x (MCC) but saw the TDK which all my burners reccomend on the top tier. After checking the media code (TTH02) and researching it and some limited emprical testing I thought it was a good bargin.

I use the Verbatim for my video archiving projects and the TDKs for mainly burning in the Pio 633h.

I almost bought the T-Y 4x from SuperMediaStore but did not want to add another variable at the moment.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy /forum/post/0

One caveat, I rarely burn over 4x in my PC drives even they are 16x. If they had TDK 4x at the same price and quality I would buy them.

However the Pio 633h goes as fast as it wants and the scans look good there.

I took advantage of Costco's coupon 2x 100 TDK-Rs (16x) for $43. Then I was startled to read here that some burners might choke on hi-speed disks! But, I've used a half-dozen in my 633h without any problems, and I can't detect any burn-speed difference between these and the TDK 8x used previously.

Sorry to be dense, but is there any known constraint on what media the Pioneer can swallow? .... and what "scans" are you performing to evaluate the disks? Strictly from curiosity, why burn at only 4x on the PC drive?

(TIA)

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikDee /forum/post/0

Ok, Thanks Roy, by the way,,, anyone know how good the Staples media is, also I think it might be 4X spd?

I just got the Staples 50pk silver -R. The box says 8x, but I dont know what the actual speed or media ID is. So far so good. I have one that refuses to finalize but plays fine on the recorder. The rest have been good so far. They are not A-list DVDs, but they are good enough - for me - for "not precious" recordings. I also got a 25pk of their +R before. Not A-list, but good enough for me. The next test would be whether they play okay after 1,2,3,4,5 years

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy /forum/post/0

Thanks for the heads up. I mentioned before that CompUSA was selling the TDK 16x at regular price of $15 but then jacked the price up to $39 on the same exact discs.

Based on your heads up I stopped by today and picked up 3 - 50pks because I was burning a number of these over the weekend and scanning them Nero and KProbe and they look really good. My Pio 633h and my Plextor 716A really seem to like them.

Thanks

Great! I'll try to pick up a couple if I manage to get close to a CompUSA store this week

#112 ·
Well I'll be heading off to check out the Staples own brand for unimportant recordings (For the good stuff I use TY's) but I wish Circuit City was closer to me because I would grab 100 of those Nexttech's for only $20.00

On Black Friday I got a bunch of Nexttech DVD-Rs for my daughter for $6.99 for 50 & she has only had one fail to finalize out of 40 so far using her Panny DMR-E55.

For her own collection she is only using TY's but when her friends want copies of "Desperate Housewives" & "The Gilmore Girls" & etc
they get them on the Nexttech's.

I read in another forum that MCC is making them for Circuit City?

Anyone know who is making the current batch for Staples? because I'm sure they put them out for bid & whoever comes in with the lowest bid gets the contract.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_chamelea /forum/post/0

I took advantage of Costco's coupon 2x 100 TDK-Rs (16x) for $43. Then I was startled to read here that some burners might choke on hi-speed disks! But, I've used a half-dozen in my 633h without any problems, and I can't detect any burn-speed difference between these and the TDK 8x used previously.

Sorry to be dense, but is there any known constraint on what media the Pioneer can swallow? .... and what "scans" are you performing to evaluate the disks? Strictly from curiosity, why burn at only 4x on the PC drive?

(TIA)

The 633h reccomends TDK 16x specfically TTH02 Media Code in the manual for a 12x burn. I also cannot detect a speed difference between TDK 16x and my Verbatim 8x.

I burn on the PC at for 4x for my VHS video archiving project and DVD home movies. I have proved it a couple of times that I get a better burn with less errors (PI ~9, PIF ~2 in CDSpeed). I believe this will be important for the disc to last in the future but that is just based on reviews and research, no proof. I have also had problems playing DVDs in my old Toshiba player with some media burned at high speed but not as much now that I have standardized on Verbatim and TDK.

Also I am not in a hurry for this project. I am trying to do everything I can to give my home movies a fighting chance to survive for when my kids grow up and this is one aspect I can actually measure.

If I am burning something else that I am not as worried about I will let it rip at highest possible speed.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/0

Anyone know who is making the current batch for Staples? because I'm sure they put them out for bid & whoever comes in with the lowest bid gets the contract.

The box says Made in Taiwan. I don't have a PC DVD burner so I can't tell what the media code is. With the $3 off ink recycling discount, they are not a bad deal at 24c per DVD + possible Staples quarterly purchase rewards.

#117 ·
Well I gave the Staples 8x DVD-Rs a shot on my Samsung DVDR4000 (A Panny E50 Clone) & back there going.

46 Would not Read at all & 3 Recorded for anywhere between 30 seconds & 2 minutes before they stopped recording & 1 YES ONE recorded & finalized without any problems at all?

So I don't know, Bad Batch or Maybe My Machine Doesn't Like Them or could they really be 16x because my Samsung has worked ok with other brands of 8x?

I hope Staples has Sony or some other "Good Brand" on sale next week when I return the Staples DVD-Rs.

If not I wonder if they will give me my $3.00 for my used ink cartridge, or give it back to me or give me $3.00 in store credit. That should be FUN to see what they do.

#118 ·

Quote:

Well I gave the Staples 8x DVD-Rs a shot on my Samsung DVDR4000 (A Panny E50 Clone) & back there going.

46 Would not Read at all & 3 Recorded for anywhere between 30 seconds & 2 minutes before they stopped recording & 1 YES ONE recorded & finalized without any problems at all?

So I don't know, Bad Batch or Maybe My Machine Doesn't Like Them or could they really be 16x because my Samsung has worked ok with other brands of 8x?

I hope Staples has Sony or some other "Good Brand" on sale next week when I return the Staples DVD-Rs.

If not I wonder if they will give me my $3.00 for my used ink cartridge, or give it back to me or give me $3.00 in store credit. That should be FUN to see what they do.

I bought Sony 8x DVD-R once and they were horrible in my Sony DRU-71A drive!! I called Sony and asked about the drive and the discs and the tech reccomended Verbatim

I know others have had good luck but I will not go back. Look for Made In Japan as opposed to TW. Supposed to be better.

#119 ·

Quote:

Wow, that's a lot of non-working DVDs! From the 50pk -R I only had one that refuses to finalize but recorded and plays properly on the recorder. The other 20 or so I have used so far have been without problems.

I haven't had a return with the ink credit, it could be interesting to see how they deal with it.

So far for next week Office Depot has 100pk for $35 for their own brand, and $22 for 25pk -RW (is that a sale even?).

Next week at Staples, the Playo brand is on sale $5 for 50pks. I never tried "Playo", but if I can get them at that price, why not? It would be even less with an ink $3 off
I need some new coasters anyway ;-) They will have Sony CD-R/-RW on sale. 50pk slim-line jewel cases for $9. Their webpage does not show Sony DVDs - at least not in my zipcode.

#121 ·
I purchased the TDK 16x DVD-R 50-pk from CompUSA for use in my Pioneer 531H. The disks have media code TTH02 and are recommended in the Pioneer manual (pg. 100) for 16x burn. I have not made a successful copy using these in the 531H. Three times the copy failed with error message "Cannot complete copy". The error occurs near the end of the burn. Each attempt had a video length of about one hour recorded at XP quality. I have successfully burned blanks from this same 50-pk batch on my PC using a Pioneer DVR-107D at firmware 1.21 and 8x speed.

Although the 531H manual specifies TDK TTH02 for 16x and estimates a copy time of 6 minutes, when I start the copy, the 531H reports a copy time of 8 minutes which matches time required for 8x media.

My PC DVD burner can only go 8x max so I can't test these TDK at 16x speed.

DVDInfoPro identifies the TDK 16x as media code TTH02 at 16x speed, but with a Write Strategy of only 4x.

Has anyone had success using these TDK 16x DVD-R on a Pioneer 531H?

#123 ·
Well when I return the Staples DVD-Rs Monday I guess I might as well give the "PLAYO's" a shot for only a $1.94 for 50 with the Ink Cartridge that I already gave them.

It figures when I want to return the Staples that they would only have probably the worst brand that they carry on sale

But for $1.94 if they don't work I might as well just throw them out because it will cost more in gas to return them & if they work out I have until Saturday to pick up some more of them or get a Rain Check for them.

I only plan on using them for oddball stuff that I don't really care about & for people that are always asking me for copies of something from my collection so it's really no big deal.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flowers /forum/post/0

I purchased the TDK 16x DVD-R 50-pk from CompUSA for use in my Pioneer 531H. The disks have media code TTH02 and are recommended in the Pioneer manual (pg. 100) for 16x burn. I have not made a successful copy using these in the 531H. Three times the copy failed with error message "Cannot complete copy". The error occurs near the end of the burn. Each attempt had a video length of about one hour recorded at XP quality. I have successfully burned blanks from this same 50-pk batch on my PC using a Pioneer DVR-107D at firmware 1.21 and 8x speed.

Although the 531H manual specifies TDK TTH02 for 16x and estimates a copy time of 6 minutes, when I start the copy, the 531H reports a copy time of 8 minutes which matches time required for 8x media.

My PC DVD burner can only go 8x max so I can't test these TDK at 16x speed.

DVDInfoPro identifies the TDK 16x as media code TTH02 at 16x speed, but with a Write Strategy of only 4x.

Has anyone had success using these TDK 16x DVD-R on a Pioneer 531H?

My 633h burns these discs no problem. My Plextor PX-716A will burn them at 16x no problem. I purchased mine from CompUSA as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.