AVS Forum banner

Media deals this week

353K views 3K replies 254 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Circuit City has the TDK 25pks of +R or -R for $8. So far I have had zero problems with the + or - TDK 25packs.

There's also a 50pk of Staples branded discs at $8 (see other thread on this). So far, I have had 5 succesful burns and one that stopped at 2/3rds of the way proclaming the disc is full. The visible writeable area of the disc is not full. It won't record any more but it was finalized and can play fine on a stand-alone player.

Does anyone have any DVD-RW deals? They are not as common as +R/-R :)

#127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flowers /forum/post/0

I purchased the TDK 16x DVD-R 50-pk from CompUSA for use in my Pioneer 531H. The disks have media code TTH02 and are recommended in the Pioneer manual (pg. 100) for 16x burn. I have not made a successful copy using these in the 531H. Three times the copy failed with error message "Cannot complete copy". The error occurs near the end of the burn. Each attempt had a video length of about one hour recorded at XP quality. . . .

Has anyone had success using these TDK 16x DVD-R on a Pioneer 531H?

I have. In fact, I was intent on simply testing this new TDK-R (16x) 100-spindle from Costco, so I burned three disks in different ways:
  • - burn/finalize a 4+ Gig disk at high-speed, an "SP" 2-hr HDD copylist, video mode;

- burn/finalize a 4+ Gig disk at real-time, a 4+ hours HDD copylist, optimized from XP+, video mode;

- burned a 4.1 Gig disk at real-time, a 1-hour HDD copylist, optimized from XP+, VR-mode.

All three disks play fine in the Pioneer, and the two finalized disks also play in my Samsung DVD player. Sorry to hear your difficulty, but I've found flawless playback from ~50 of the TDK-Rs (8x) during the past year, and no problems so far with the newer 16x. You might find it useful to check back w/ bobkart's testing thread over the coming week.

ETA: sorry, forgot to mention that those three burns of TDK 16x were on Pioneer 633, plus a couple dozen burns of TDK 8x. Earlier burns of TDK 8x were on a Liteon 5045, but no TDK coasters thus far.

#128 ·
Bought today a 50 color pack of the Fuji DVD-Rs at Frys for $19.99.Made in Japan-8X. Did not read this whole thread-I assume they are OK?

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

Bought today a 50 color pack of the Fuji DVD-Rs at Frys for $19.99.Made in Japan-8X. Did not read this whole thread-I assume they are OK?

GRRR!!!
I want them! The damn Staples a block from my house kept having the colored Fujis on sale (30 for $9) and now I've nearly used them all up and no more more Fujis, let alone sales on them. I don't want to have different media and I used the colors to indicate what type movie it was (blue=action/etc.). Never, ever a coaster. EVER.
No Frys here though.

How many colors are in the 50 packs? They don't include the awful purple, do they, like the cases they sell? The 30 packs were blue/green/yellow only.

#130 ·
Thanks for the TDK 16x burning feedback from the Pioneer 633 guys.

I just bought some Verbatim 16x DVD-R from OfficeMax (50-pk for $15). The media code is MCC 03RG20. While trying to make a high-speed copy of an hour's worth of video on my Pioneer 531H, I get the same copy error as with the TDK 16x disks. Also, the same failure shows up with shorter duration (20 minutes at SP), and also with or without finalizing included in the copy setup.

So, perhaps I have a second batch of incompatible media? Or is it operator error? I think I know how to make a copy since the same procedure works fine with TDK 4x DVD-RW disks.

If neither of the above, maybe my 531H is faulty? It appears to work fine in all other respects. Some posts above show success on a 633 model; shouldn't one expect the 531 to behave similarly? Anybody make a successful high-speed copy using 16x DVD-R on a 531H?

#131 ·
Got the Playos today. 250 discs for $10.35, including tax. (I had 5 of the $3 ink coupons)

Did a quick recording to DVD-R off the TV and one off DVD, finalized them and threw them in everything I had. They played fine and the recordings were good. I'll do some more advanced recordings later on, but thought I should post a quick response before they all get sold out for those that are interested in 4-cent discs.

#132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flowers /forum/post/0

. . . If neither of the above, maybe my 531H is faulty? It appears to work fine in all other respects. Some posts above show success on a 633 model; shouldn't one expect the 531 to behave similarly? Anybody make a successful high-speed copy using 16x DVD-R on a 531H?

There's every reason to believe that your 531H is identical to the 633H except for the DV-input on front panel. Pioneer only publishes one Owner Guide for the 2005 HDD-burner series (633/533/531). And I don't see how one could err in making a high-speed copyllist & burn ??? ... it's pretty cut-n-dried.

I'd begin to suspect a problem with that particular unit. But I would NOT be worried to replace it with the identical model. Walmart should be a good resource if you've not had it too long.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/0

Yeah, I saw the Playo ones too. $2 for 50 of them (w/dead ink)? I'll give it a shot and let you all know how it goes. If nothing else, they'll make great gifts for people I don't like and want to give headaches to.

I got two 50pks as well. I was gonna get only one but there were dozens of people loading up their shopping carts with them, so peer pressure got to me and got two instead. If they prove total crap, I will return the unopened spindle. So far, they are 1 out of 1 for recording (filled up, finalized and plays back okay). The 1st one in the spindle had some white stuff on it so I am not going to use it. First coaster already

Some other deals this week, in order of preference:

* All are DVD+/DVD-R unless otherwise specified

* Sony DVD-RW 25pk @ CompUSA $13

* Verbatim 16x 50pk @ Office Max $15

* TDK 25pk @ Circuit $7

* Office Max house brand 50pk @ $11.50

* Sony 100pk @ CompUSA $30

* Sony 50pk @ BestBuy $15

* Memorex 25pk DVD+R DL @ BestBuy $50

* nameless unknown speed 100pk @ Compusa $20 (Sunday/Monday only)

* Memorex 16x 25pk @ Radio ShaQ $8

* TDK DVD+RW 3pk for $3 @ Walgreens (the ad did not mention DVD-RW)

* TDK +/-R 5pk for $3 @ Walgreens

If anyone knows of any DVD-RAM sales, please let me know

#134 ·
Well, I finished up 3 more of the Playo discs with various crap from various sources just to see what would happen. The recordings were good. I only recorded in highest setting because I was only recording about 20 minutes of material from DVDs, TV, and HD. I'm not sure I would trust my most prized stuff with these discs, but they seem great for basic recordings. For $0.04, how can you go wrong? Now maybe I won't be so pissed when countless people keep asking me for copies. Nah, they'll still piss me off, one way or another.

#136 ·

Quote:

GRRR!!!
I want them! The damn Staples a block from my house kept having the colored Fujis on sale (30 for $9) and now I've nearly used them all up and no more more Fujis, let alone sales on them. I don't want to have different media and I used the colors to indicate what type movie it was (blue=action/etc.). Never, ever a coaster. EVER.
No Frys here though.

How many colors are in the 50 packs? They don't include the awful purple, do they, like the cases they sell? The 30 packs were blue/green/yellow only.

5 colors- your's, purple and red- each individual case had 10- They called it a "Tower" on the outside label. It was unique- never saw this before. Frys had only a few left of -R and +R. The red is pretty cool. I feel like I am in grade school. Excuse me while I go hammer that block.

#138 ·

Quote:

Only a few left. Maybe ncaahoops and myself are now S.O.L. in finding any new ones then.

I asked one of the Staples managers. He said they are not gone for ever, but he didn't know if they would get any more of them.

So far I am 3 out of 3 successful Playaz (oops Playo) burns. They are doing better than I expected!

#140 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

5 colors- your's, purple and red- each individual case had 10-

I saw Fuji disks in 5 colors at Walmart just last night (NorCal area).

Sorry, didn't notice a price .... that shelf was a mess.

#141 ·
Well I returned my Staples DVD-Rs & they did match Best Buy's price on the Sony's

plus they gave me the 110% difference in the price so I got the Sony's plus $2.00 & some change back too.

While I was there I got 4 of the 50 pack Playo's & I brought 4 ink cartridges with me & the cashier took all of them but he rang up each pack of Playo's seperate sale.

So the good part is they only cost me $1.94 for 50 but the bad part is they may all be going back because the one I tried recorded fine but when I pressed stop it would not read the disc & the recorder locked up & I never got to try & "Finalize" it to see how that would go.

I'll try another one & I really hope I can get them working & I'll report back later on how I made out with the Playos.

I'm using them in a "Refurbished" Samsung DVDR4000 that I just got so I have no idea how up to date the firmware is. The R4000 is clone of the older Pannny DMR-E50 & it has been working great so far.

#143 ·
Well I bought even more media today. I just could not help myself when I saw the Verbatim 16x at OfficeMax for $15 since I had not used them before. I bought only one 50 pack. First one burned fine in my Pio 633h but the subsequent scan on PC shows some problems (high PIFs near the end of a full disc) but it seems to play OK. Not too impressed so far so will try some in my Plextor.

I burned a few more of the TDK 16x and scanned them again. They appear to be fantastic in my 633h.

So I will keep using the TDK 16x for the 633h and keep using the Verbatim 8x (maybe 16x after test) in my Plextor PC drive. Each drive seems to be "tuned" to those specfic brands and Media codes.

Also noticed today that the local Sam's had Verbatim 8x on sale again for $30 per 100pk if you have a membership.

#145 ·
It's really hard to tell on the Samsung because they did make a R4000 that was a clone of the 30 for the European Market but from what I've been told & looking at both owners manuals my R4000 appears to be a E50 clone.

I'm just & old guy who really doesn't know what he's doing with computers so I would never fool around trying to make a CD, DVD? to update it but maybe I can get someone to do it for me.

I just put in the 3rd disc to test & it did record at XP speed & it did read it so now I'm trying a recording at the FR mode that the other 2 failed in just to see what happens & then I'll try to finalize it.

Maybe the first 2 were just bad discs & what I think I'm going to do is play around with the whole 50 PK seeing it only cost me a $1.97 & then if I get a lot more coasters I'l return all of them but if I only get a few then I'll keep them.

The 1st disc was the Series Finale of "Twin Peaks" so maybe the recorder just got scared
& refused to read it

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/0

Well I returned my Staples DVD-Rs & they did match Best Buy's price on the Sony's

plus they gave me the 110% difference in the price so I got the Sony's plus $2.00 & some change back too.

While I was there I got 4 of the 50 pack Playo's & I brought 4 ink cartridges with me & the cashier took all of them but he rang up each pack of Playo's seperate sale.

That's a great idea to price-match Best Buy for the Sonys! I'll try it later this week! I guess they would price-match the Sony -RW from CompUSA as well! If that works, then it would be a nice price! Thanks Bill1313 for this idea!

So far I am 6 out of 6 good burns on the Playaz dvds. I did not use the first one in the spindle because it had some white stuff on it (it looked like paint?)

#147 ·
I never even knew Staples "Price Matched" until I happened to check my receipt & right on it at the top was the 110% Price Match.

Playo DVD-R: GOOD = 5 BAD = 5 so even if half work I can't complain for what I paid for them.

I'm sure you won't have any problem with the Price Match because I even said to them you don't have to beat their price I just wanted to show it to you so I could swap the Staples for the Sony's but they insisted that they were going to beat Best Buy's price along with the swap

#150 ·
I don't have a crystal ball, but I was looking at staples.com and found this:

Starting Sunday February 26:

* Maxell 50pk +/-R for $15 @ Staples ($12 if you recycle an empty ink cartridge). I do not know if they are Japan or Taiwan or both. Some of their Sonys are Japan, some are Taiwan.

#151 ·
I've got a crystal ball...and it hurts like hell on cold days.

I don't think Wal-Mart should have to price match for any other reason than if they want to. Just because they can buy in bulk doesn't mean a thing, and they don't have to beat anyone's price, though 90% of the time they do anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.