Is RG6 coaxial cable much better than RG59? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question ... For connecting analog cable from the wall to the DVD Recorder (Panasonic ES20) - Would it make any noticeable difference to use an RG6 coaxial cable instead of the standard RG59?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Only if the cable was really long. Assuming the RG59 cable is of good quality, it's fine.

There is no "best", best is what's best for you...

Have you tried searching first?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 08:20 AM

Quick answer..yes. RG6 is usually required for digital cable and DSL.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil
Quick answer..yes. RG6 is usually required for digital cable and DSL.
She talking about analog cable not digital. From wall to ES20 RG59 is just find. The coax connector on the cable is the most important on short runs.

BJM
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Isn't the difference between RG6 and RG59 just thickness of the cable?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 12:57 PM

RG-6 is lower loss and better sheilded but for a run of less than 10' the quality of the termination will have more effect in determining the total loss of the run.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 03:19 PM

Liked: 12
The difference between RG6 and RG59 is the shielding.
I would use RG6 Quad Shielded cable.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2006, 03:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
The difference between RG6 and RG59 is the shielding.
and the diameter, attenuation, lower frequency limit, materials used, capacitance, loop resistance...
post #9 of 17 Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

I like to use the same stuff the cable company wired the rest of the house with.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by actorBrad
Quick question ... For connecting analog cable from the wall to the DVD Recorder (Panasonic ES20) - Would it make any noticeable difference to use an RG6 coaxial cable instead of the standard RG59?
For your specific application, NO there will be no difference at all. RG6 is required for the higher frequencies of satellite signals and digital cable, but for analog cable RG59 is fine. As has been said, RG6 is better overall, with less attenuation and higher frequency rating, but for analog cable, that won't be an issue.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2006, 06:19 AM

Newbi question: :

I bought my home 3 yrs ago. My house is 15 yrs old and at some point after it was built it was wired for cable. I recently signed up for digital cable as well as HD through Comcast, but I am unsure if at the time my house was wired they used RG6. I want to be sure that I am maximizing the digital signal. My HD pic on my Elite Plasma is great, but I am not sure if it is as good as it can get.

Is there anyway to tell if it is RG6?

Thanks
post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the cable type is stamped on the wire itself every few feet, so you can take a wall plate off and pull out what slack is there and if you're lucky, it will be printed on the cable. Other than that, I guess a quick trip to the attic is all I can think of, unless, of course, you have access to an RF signal generator and a spectrum analyzer to see where the frequencies roll off on the high end.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 17 Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
I want to be sure that I am maximizing the digital signal. My HD pic on my Elite Plasma is great, but I am not sure if it is as good as it can get.
Once you are getting the signal without errors (pixelation, freezing), that's as good as the picture will get. You can improve the reception and reduce the frequency of such errors, but those errors are the only way it can go wrong, it's not like analog cable where the picture can have all sorts of subtle inaccuracies, digital reception is either all there or it's not, and it's usually obvious when it's not. Once all the bits are succesfully being received, that's the best picture you'll see.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

bobkart is correct. If you are not seeing any digital artifacts like stuttering of the picture or excessive pixelation, then you are getting as good a digital signal as your receiver can use. Signal strength beyond the "successful read threshold" just doesn't matter to a digital receiver.

Luke

post #15 of 17 Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I've actually got about 100 ft. of brand new, dual RG6 cable with attached grounding wire, which was thrown out by the satellite or dish install guys after finishing up a building job. Too lazy to carry the leftover cable, I suppose.. what a waste. I couldn't let perfectly cable go to waste, so I grabbed it. It's still sitting in my storage closet, as I have no use for it, so I'll end up selling it on Ebay or something. *hopes to, anyway*

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info... I guess the question is answered. The pic looks great, no problems with freezing etc, so I will leave the cable alone.

Thanks again
post #17 of 17 Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions
I've actually got about 100 ft. of brand new, dual RG6 cable with attached grounding wire, which was thrown out by the satellite or dish install guys after finishing up a building job. Too lazy to carry the leftover cable, I suppose.. what a waste. I couldn't let perfectly cable go to waste, so I grabbed it. It's still sitting in my storage closet, as I have no use for it, so I'll end up selling it on Ebay or something. *hopes to, anyway*
and...

I thought you were about to say that you would be donating your 100ft of RG6 it to some needy AVS Forum members, instead of touting your future flea-bay sale ;(

peter
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page