Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 515 Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tom,

Formatted and burned Title to 2x-3x speed RAM. No hiccups except sloooowwww RAM speed. Still getting a kick out of having CD back. I forget if the 4167B, H10N or the H54L had allowed CD play. Even if they did, I rarely used it on this machine as I have dedicated equipment for that. But sometimes it's nice to just use what's on and running ... so it's more of a convenience thing for me.

I'm currently running a rate conversion dub to another RAM so I can get the first 2 Harry Potters on disc. Recorded from TV and edited long ago, I did it because the TV versions of so many of these blockbuster type movies have scenes I never see anywhere else on any other disc version. Infuriating! Hell, I gave away my Lord of the Rings original discs when they came out with the extended versions. Drives me crazy ... but at least Peter Jackson and the Studio got this right. Still waiting for a ton of material out there to be properly offered.

Will test DVD-R soon ... also moving recordings back and forth. Will also see if the CPRM sensitivity bug is still active with some new recordings. That was starting to drive me crazy with the Tosh which was another reason to just go with something else through the years like the Philips 3575 (returned), eventually getting the Mag 515H this Christmas. Nowhere near as feature laden but it is a very nice and simple machine. Wish I had the shelf space to plug it all back in permanently and run 2 DVRs along with the Comcast DVR.

Some of the guys on here went crazy with the Polaroid model a few years back and ran some wild looking daisy chained HDD setups.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 515 Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The thing that is good about the Panasonic SW-9585-C is that it has complete functionality with all aspects of DVD-R , DVD-RAM, and CD. In other words, it will recognize it's own unfinalized DVD-R, as well as unfinalized disks from the OEM burner, or the substitute LG burners, even a Lite-On burner. Even though the LG burners won't recognize their own unfinalized disks! On most RD-XS models, that is. Of course, no problems with DVD-RAM either.

The bad thing about the Panasonic is that it is slow at dubbing. The LG GSA-4167B and H10N are the speed demons here. They are as fast as the stock RD-XS52 burner. Finalizing is slow too, but it gets the job done. Also you have to do that double-click trick every time you insert a disk. However if you turn the recorder on and off, it will recognize the disk in the burner on boot up.

I have tried 16X DVD-R in the SW-9585-C with no luck, even though the burner in PC applications will support it. The burn speed is fixed into the RD-XS firmware.

Another caveat to the Panasonic is eventually it will need the spindle and laser cleaned, which is a common Panasonic problem.

But, there is no free lunch if you want complete compatibility, and maybe not now, but 1-2 years ago you could get refurb SW-9585-Cs for around $20 and they were plentiful.
post #513 of 515 Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

The thing that is good about the Panasonic SW-9585-C is that it has complete functionality with all aspects of DVD-R , DVD-RAM, and CD. In other words, it will recognize it's own unfinalized DVD-R, as well as unfinalized disks from the OEM burner, ... . On most RD-XS models, that is. Of course, no problems with DVD-RAM either.

It seems that SW-9585-C burner is more friendly with RD-XS52 than RD-XS54, allowing easy swap.
Maybe, when I tried SW-9585-C in RD-XS54 in 2009, I did not set the region to 1 in order to obtain its full compatibility and functionality.
Some members mentioned that new dvd burner needs to be set to region 1 before using it in RD-XS54. I bought a completely brand new OEM dvd burner (not a pull out). At that time I did not have any external enclosure to put SW-9585-C in to verify it or set it up, and I did not want to tinker with a new PC under warranty just to do this region 1 set up.
post #514 of 515 Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"...the Panasonic SW-9585-C is that it has complete functionality with all aspects of DVD-R , DVD-RAM, and CD."

Complete CD functionality? No drive ever got close to that. Are you sure?

Also, does it do all the RAM types including the ones that are in the case?

Thanks
Tom
post #515 of 515 Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is the Panasonic SW-9585-C a drive that can be repaired?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page