Tosh XS32 DVD Burner - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 515 Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to let everyone know that I successfully tested the HP DVD840 which is actually the LG GSA-H20L. It loads everything including infinalized discs made with the original drive.

One thing to note is that when you test the new drive (by sitting it on top of the original one) make sure you eject and close the new drive with the botton on the XS32 and not the button on the new DVD Drive. I was doing that and the discs were not loading and I was just about to give up thinking it was an unsuccessful test until I used the button on the XS32. Anyways someone earlier in this thread said that any HP drive that as DVD RAM should work and I would say that it is probably the case from this test. The HP drives are made by the same people as the LG drives.

:-)
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 515 Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgn2000 View Post

Just to let everyone know that I successfully tested the HP DVD840 which is actually the LG GSA-H20L. It loads everything including infinalized discs made with the original drive.

Very interesting. Could you give a specific link for this drive?

Also, are you now able to use 4X or higher DVD-RW?
post #93 of 515 Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 PM

Not sure on the 4X-RW. I have always used 8X DVD-R's with old drive, but I don't think it will record faster then what the internal software is setup for.
post #94 of 515 Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Here is a link, but it is too much money. You can just do a search on Google for HP-DVD840. Someone also posted that you can use any HP drive above DVD740 as long as it has the DVD-RAM option. I cannot prove this to be the case, but I am pretty confident that it is a true statement.
post #95 of 515 Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Here is a link, but it is too much money. You can just do a search on Google for HP-DVD840. Someone also posted that you can use any HP drive above DVD740 as long as it has the DVD-RAM option. I cannot prove this to be the case, but I am pretty confident that it is a true statement.

http://www.meritline.com/hp-dvd840i-...e-52x-cdr.html
post #96 of 515 Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 PM

Has anyone replaced the fan in the XS32? I am fed up with mine and was wondering where you can find the replacement part?

Thanks
post #97 of 515 Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure on the 4X-RW. I have always used 8X DVD-R's with old drive, but I don't think it will record faster then what the internal software is setup for.

My question is not about actual burning speed, but the technology for DVD-RW changed above the 1-2x DVD-RWs, so drives need new firmware AFAIK. I *think* that the XS32's software wouldn't actually need to have fixes, but am not 100% positive.

2X DVD-RWs (at least cheapo ones at Office Depot!) are becoming more rare, so being able to use faster ones that are the ones put on sale nowadays would be yet another reason to replace the drive.
post #98 of 515 Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:

According to the compliment slip sent to me by Toshiba with the uprade Cd the upgrade to version ZL12 was supposed to allow the use of 4x -RWs. No other Cd is available from them in the UK & their technical support team does not seem very knowledgeable or helpfull.

This CD made no difference to the DVD software level & I have subsequently changed to the LG drive mentioned in earlier posts.

I like their (Toshibas) notebook PCs but I would not buy another DVD recorder from them.
post #99 of 515 Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbcom View Post

According to the compliment slip sent to me by Toshiba with the uprade Cd the upgrade to version ZL12 was supposed to allow the use of 4x -RWs. No other Cd is available from them in the UK & their technical support team does not seem very knowledgeable or helpfull.

Hmm, I thought I was on ZL16 in the US.. It sounds like they (reasonably) are using different numbering schemes in different countries.

I could swear at one point I *did* try 4X DVD-RWs, and returned them. I probably talked about it in this very thread. I am less certain of whether this happened after I originally trashed the hard drive (after which I got the new firmware upgrade).
post #100 of 515 Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Hmm, I thought I was on ZL16 in the US.. It sounds like they (reasonably) are using different numbering schemes in different countries.

I could swear at one point I *did* try 4X DVD-RWs, and returned them. I probably talked about it in this very thread. I am less certain of whether this happened after I originally trashed the hard drive (after which I got the new firmware upgrade).

It wouldn't suprise me if you were on a higher software level in the States the UK support team seem to be pretty far behind with upgrades, until recently they denied the existance of any upgrades for XS 32 . They still deny that an upgrade is possible for the DVD software ( although I don't need it now having replaced my drive with the LG one)

Mattack Have you managed to sort out or replace your hard drive ???
post #101 of 515 Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty100 View Post

Hi All
before i changed the dvd drive i was region free with no problems (even when i change the old DVD back into the machine i go back to be region free)
when i use the LG 4163 in the machine i am locked and can not play other DVDs from other regions. I found a spical region free FW for the DVD drive (2 different version one region free and one reset that resets the number of changes allowed)
tried both of them the results are not good:

1. with the region free version (checked A105 and A106) - does not read any DVDs after upgrade
2. with reset option - reads only local DVDs and not other regions

if i release the LG back with the TOshiba drive all regions are free so it must be in the DVD FW and not the OS.
anybody have the same problem and if yes did anybody solve this issue?
thanks
MAtty

This locking of DVD regions is certainly the norm for computer DVDs (which after all is what is in the XS32) that are supplied to the UK. You are normally allowed about 5 chances to sort out what region you want to use ( this is sorted by the actual region of the DVDs that you insert) on the last go it locks to the region of the DVD inserted at that time. On some computer DVD software it actually tells you that you have x number more changes before it locks to that particular region.
I have not had a lot of luck with the region free hacks for PCs.
Looks like we (in the UK) will still have to wait months to see your new flims.
post #102 of 515 Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mattack Have you managed to sort out or replace your hard drive ???

I made a copy of the trashed hard drive (I wasted $40 on eBay for an 80 gig Seagate drive that was _almost_ the same model # -- hoping I could plug it in and it would work).. and then just reformatted the original.

I hope at some point, someone figures out the filesystem of these recorders. I'd bet that 99% of my data is still there. and/or if someone makes an "MPEG file" recovery tool, that might be useful to try. (I realize there is likely lots of fragmentation, but even if I found *parts* of a movie that would play in movie player software, that would be a good start.)

Since all of the recordings were made so that I could high-speed dub them, it seems to me that they're likely in the same format that they'll end up on a DVD.. So something that could scan for valid MPEG data would be interesting.. But my speculation is that since MPEG-2 costs so much to license, nobody has written a file recovery tool.
post #103 of 515 Old 12-05-2006, 06:41 PM

So, is it possible or not ?

And does anyone know how to update the software version ZL10 to ZL1x ??

TIA!
post #104 of 515 Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

To update the software, you just power on the machine with the firmware DVD in the drive.

You can't replace the hard disk, unless you figure out how to bypass the firmware check or whatever the heck it's doing.
post #105 of 515 Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Sorry, I meant where can one find operating software firmware updates such as ZL11 or higher?
post #106 of 515 Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to call up Toshiba and have them sent you a CD/DVD (don't know which it is).
post #107 of 515 Old 12-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_cyblade View Post

my xs32 dvd unit was failing. it is dvd 1309 and software zl10.
i could burn a tv program if i burned quickly before
the recorder got warmed up.
i updated the drive firmware 1315 and no difference.

encouraged by others successes
i purchased the lg gsa h10n from newegg and
replaced the dvd drive. it can play movies, both
purchased and previously burnt by me.
but when i try and burn, it will burn the program
then error on finalizing. i updated the firmware of
the unit (i put it in a computer and updated
with the firmware from lg) and still has the problem
finalizing.

is there another dvd drive that might work?
perhaps the successes with this model were due
to ZL11?

i did my duty and called toshiba and let them know
another person is having a problem.
tech support was responsive and no waiting but no help either.

since there is an interest my recorder has the maxtor 5400rpm 80Gb drive.

My unit is the same 1309 and zl10 as yours and I was able to successfully replace the drive with the HP DVD840. Have been able to finalize new as well as disc from the previous drive. Except for slowere loading the drive seems to have the same functionality as the previous drive. I did not need to perform any firmware updates.
post #108 of 515 Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM

First, thanks to all who posted here on this VERY helpful thread. I'm in the same boat and plan to replace the burner.

Second, is the concensus that the HP-DVD840 is the best replacement unit? And, if so, is this DVD840i *it*, for sale at NewEgg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827140019

Many thanks again!
post #109 of 515 Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I made a copy of the trashed hard drive (I wasted $40 on eBay for an 80 gig Seagate drive that was _almost_ the same model # -- hoping I could plug it in and it would work).. and then just reformatted the original.

I hope at some point, someone figures out the filesystem of these recorders. I'd bet that 99% of my data is still there. and/or if someone makes an "MPEG file" recovery tool, that might be useful to try. (I realize there is likely lots of fragmentation, but even if I found *parts* of a movie that would play in movie player software, that would be a good start.)

Since all of the recordings were made so that I could high-speed dub them, it seems to me that they're likely in the same format that they'll end up on a DVD.. So something that could scan for valid MPEG data would be interesting.. But my speculation is that since MPEG-2 costs so much to license, nobody has written a file recovery tool.

Just did a GOOGLE search on MPEG2 file recovery it appears that there is a lot of file recovery software out there.

Looked at a site with software called "Recover my Files" (all on word I think)
they supply a free download of the program that will let you know if the data is recoverable. If you want to recover the data you would need to buy the program or another one like it (I am not affiliated with or recommending this company as I have not used their products just suggesting it)
I used a recovery programs (not this one) on a camera SD card and it worked fine (unfortunately it does not do MPEG2)

I don't know how much experience you have had with the internal workings of computers ( so forgive me if I seem to tell your grandmother how to suck eggs as they say ). This may help those with no experience in this field.

You will need to download the recovery program to your PC and have the drive out of the XS32 ready to temporarily fit into your PC

Power down the computer (if mini / tower for ease lay it on its side)

Touch the case of the computer or a radiator to discharge yourself (anti static precaution)

Open the case and for I would suggest remove the ribbon cable & power cable from the CD rom. If you have 2 CDs I suggest removing both as it saves messing about with Master / slave links

Lay the hard drive component side up somewhere on the computer case where it will not drop inside & plug in the ribbon (observe polarity red stripe on ribbon cable nearest to the power cable plug) & power cables

Power up computer and go into BIOS ( usually by pressing delete key on power up ) and check that the drive from the xs 32 is recognised as well as the main PC drive. save settings and exit from BIOS & restart PC

When Windows (tm) has loaded run the recovery program & see if it finds your data. Recover data as per program instructions. You will probably need quite a bit of free space on your PC drive to take the recovered data

Being a retired PC engineer I have used most of the above procedure countless times to recover & transfer PC data. I cannot guarantee that it will work with the XS 32 as I do not have any knowledge of its file structure.

On completion of data transfer reverse the above procdure

NB All work is done at your own risk

Good Luck

Hope the above info is usefull to someone
post #110 of 515 Old 12-11-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFlyer View Post

First, thanks to all who posted here on this VERY helpful thread. I'm in the same boat and plan to replace the burner.

Second, is the concensus that the HP-DVD840 is the best replacement unit? And, if so, is this DVD840i *it*, for sale at NewEgg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827140019

Many thanks again!

That one should work. It is the OEM version, but they have been out of stock on that for a while now.

Rob
post #111 of 515 Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFlyer View Post

Many thanks again!

Yes the DVD840i is the same unit. Also, CompUSA is running $79.99 plus a $30 rebate.
post #112 of 515 Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks. Yes, finding one of these in stock anywhere (and at a reasonable price) is appearing to be the issue. The NewEgg price is pretty good... I may wait a while and see if they restock before Xmas.
post #113 of 515 Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just did a GOOGLE search on MPEG2 file recovery it appears that there is a lot of file recovery software out there.

Looked at a site with software called "Recover my Files" (all on word I think)
they supply a free download of the program that will let you know if the data is recoverable.

1) I don't have a Windows machine (err, ok I could install it with Boot Camp on one of my Macs)..

2) As the software says:
Recover My Files is compatible with Windows XP and works with FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT 32, NTFS and NTFS5 file-systems.

The XS32 does not (as far as anyone knows) use a standard filesystem. It uses its own filesystem.
post #114 of 515 Old 12-12-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:

1) The XS32 does not (as far as anyone knows) use a standard filesystem. It uses its own filesystem.

Looks like we're all snookered then
post #115 of 515 Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM

mwave.com has the hp dvd840 for $39.99 plus shipping. Not Bad

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....0&RSKU=AA46000
post #116 of 515 Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

mwave.com has the hp dvd840 for $39.99 plus shipping. Not Bad

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....0&RSKU=AA46000

Thanks! I never came across them before. I might grab that!

Some of the others here mentioned LG as a viable replacement drive. I've been muddling through that, trying to understand the various models. Those mentioned here have been:

LG GSA-H10L
LG GSA-H10N
LG GSA-H20L

I seen that NewEgg currently has an LG GSA-H22N for $31.49 + $5.49 shipping. Seems like this would be a later generation model of those mentioned above.

Any idea whether this would work?

TIA
post #117 of 515 Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:

How are we supposed to get faulty hard drives changed then?
I suppose its a return to Toshiba and pay an exorbitant price for a £30 drive and 10 minutes work.
Has anyone had one replaced yet ??

Interesting discussion here-

I found this thread looking around after my Toshiba DVR developed hard drive issues.

I removed the hard drive, used the Seagate diagnostics to find 2 bad sectors, use Seagate program to force a re-allocation, reinstalled the drive and the unit seems to work fine so far.

I've got a Toshiba RD-KX50SU (same family as XS52..)
Bought the DVR last Dec 13th 2005. One year warranty.
Dec 15th, 2006 hard drive starts acting funny, makes lots of seeking noise.
Next day, DVR stops recording, stops playback, then gives generic hard drive error message and refuses to see the hard drive.

Tried formatting drive from DVR menu - doesn't help.
So, time to open the case.

Here's what I've learned so far:

My KX50SU came with a Seagate ST3800 12ACE drive - 80 gig. ACE is a no-error checking drive, hard to come by.

REMOVAL
Seven screws hold the case on. First obstacle to removing the drive is that the rather delicate ribbon cables are taped to the drive, with some very sticky black tape. You have to carefully peel back the tape before you can remove the drive.

The drive sits in a mounting frame, which suggests that the units were originally designed for a larger drive.

Good news is that you can remove the HD from the unit by merely unscrewing the 4 screws, then sliding it out sideways.

Watch for a five-wire connector that is located at the front of the unit - it's fragile,
and easy to pull wires out.

After getting the drive out, I see that it's set for cable select.
Switch the jumper to slave, plug the ST3800 into an old desktop as slave.

Windows sees the ST3800, but doesn't assign a drive letter.
FDISK sees the drive as 10781 meg drive, with 10781 megs free.

Next step - download drive repair software from Seagate.

Seagate diagnostics says that the drive is setup at 9729 cylinders, 255 heads
and 63 sectors. Interesting, because the default specs for the drive are different,
16,383 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors is the default -
That may suggest other drives or drive combinations?

Other information is the driver serial number, firmware revision is 9.51

Seagate repair program tests the drive, sees 2 bad sectors
one at 1074266 and another at 1402631.

Seagate repair program does allow you to force a re-allocation, which I did.

Power down the computer, remove the drive, change the jumper from slave to cable select, re-install the drive.

Power up the DVR - during boot up, the DVR displays a message about hard drive problem, says that only playback will work. Go to the DVR menu and format hard drive, power down machine, power up again, no error message.

So far the unit records and plays back fine.
When inserting a DVD-RAm the unit gives a "you may add this to the library" message that I don't remember seeing before... I guess it doesn't "remember" that it formatted those DVD-RAM disks.

So, that's what I've found out.

Hal
post #118 of 515 Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2archangel View Post

Interesting discussion here-

I found this thread looking around after my Toshiba DVR developed hard drive issues.

I removed the hard drive, used the Seagate diagnostics to find 2 bad sectors, use Seagate program to force a re-allocation, reinstalled the drive and the unit seems to work fine so far.

I've got a Toshiba RD-KX50SU (same family as XS52..)
Bought the DVR last Dec 13th 2005. One year warranty.
Dec 15th, 2006 hard drive starts acting funny, makes lots of seeking noise.
Next day, DVR stops recording, stops playback, then gives generic hard drive error message and refuses to see the hard drive.

Tried formatting drive from DVR menu - doesn't help.
So, time to open the case.

Here's what I've learned so far:

My KX50SU came with a Seagate ST3800 12ACE drive - 80 gig. ACE is a no-error checking drive, hard to come by.

REMOVAL
Seven screws hold the case on. First obstacle to removing the drive is that the rather delicate ribbon cables are taped to the drive, with some very sticky black tape. You have to carefully peel back the tape before you can remove the drive.

The drive sits in a mounting frame, which suggests that the units were originally designed for a larger drive.

Good news is that you can remove the HD from the unit by merely unscrewing the 4 screws, then sliding it out sideways.

Watch for a five-wire connector that is located at the front of the unit - it's fragile,

After getting the drive out, I see that it's set for cable select.
Switch the jumper to slave, plug the ST3800 into an old desktop as slave.

Windows sees the ST3800, but doesn't assign a drive letter.
FDISK sees the drive as 10781 meg drive, with 10781 megs free.

Next step - download drive repair software from Seagate.

Seagate diagnostics says that the drive is setup at 9729 cylinders, 255 heads
and 63 sectors. Interesting, because the default specs for the drive are different,

Other information is the driver serial number, firmware revision is 9.51

Seagate repair program tests the drive, sees 2 bad sectors
one at 1074266 and another at 1402631.

Seagate repair program does allow you to force a re-allocation, which I did.

Power down the computer, remove the drive, change the jumper from slave to cable select, re-install the drive.

Power up the DVR - during boot up, the DVR displays a message about hard drive problem, says that only playback will work. Go to the DVR menu and format hard drive, power down machine, power up again, no error message.

So far the unit records and plays back fine.
When inserting a DVD-RAm the unit gives a "you may add this to the library" message that I don't remember seeing before... I guess it doesn't "remember" that it formatted those DVD-RAM disks.

So, that's what I've found out.

Hal

Wow. I nominate this for the best first post ever!

This info is huge for me because I also have the RD-KX50 and after finishing this reply I'm going to go to the Seagate site. Download the repair software and store it safely away. Thanks again.
post #119 of 515 Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Wow. I nominate this for the best first post ever!

This info is huge for me because I also have the RD-KX50 and after finishing this reply I'm going to go to the Seagate site. Download the repair software and store it safely away. Thanks again.

Thanks,

I realized I missed some editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2Archangel View Post

My KX50SU came with a Seagate ST3800 12ACE drive - 80 gig.
ACE is a no-error checking drive, hard to come by.

I've notice that high speed dubbing tends slow down at certain points - so I guess
that the drive does normal error checking during reading, but 'fast' error checking during the initial recording...

Quote:

In other words, the case seems to have been designed for an older, wider ATA drive instead of the 3.5" size drive.

Quote:

There's a five wire connector from the motherboard to the faceplate that snakes around the HD. You don't have to unplug the wire, you can carefully slide the drive around the wire. Unplugging and-replugging the wire caused a wire to break on my DVR, which meant splicing in a new connector.

Quote:

Seagate diagnostics says that the drive is setup at
9729 cylinders, 255 heads and 63 sectors.
the default specs for the drive are different,

Anyone know what the cylinder/head/sector settings are for the 120 or 160 meg HDs in the other units?

Is 255 the maximum number of logical heads? Would that suggest that you could upgrade to a larger HD if it maps to XXX cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors?

Quote:

When inserting a DVD-RAm the unit gives a "you may add this [disk] to the library" message that I don't remember seeing before...

Actually, the DVR includes that message on power-up, even without a DVR or DVD-Ram. It does take a bit longer to boot up, and I have noticed that during high speed dubbing it takes forever and generates lots of seek noise while dubbing the first 1%, then the rest goes much faster. I'm guessing this is where the bad sectors were, so the unit is "bouncing" back and forth reading the re-allocated sector?

Hal2Archangel
post #120 of 515 Old 12-21-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2archangel View Post

Is 255 the maximum number of logical heads? Would that suggest that you could upgrade to a larger HD if it maps to XXX cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors?

Actually, the DVR includes that message on power-up, even without a DVR or DVD-Ram.

No, you can't upgrade to a larger hard drive. AFAIK, nobody has even gotten it to recognize a new hard drive OF THE SAME SIZE. I bought an 80 gig almost-identical model off of eBay and the unit almost immediately gave a ~7000 error code (hard drive problem). I instead made a copy of my corrupted hard drive to it, and then used the unit to reformat the original corrupted hard drive.

I definitely don't see the 'add to library' message upon powerup.. but I think I did see it more after reformatting. I think that the library info is stored on the drive and not in RAM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page