Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 515 Old 04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Decisions... decisions...

I have a 32 with about 200 burns on it. Using the yellow Maxell 4x TY media, 100% successful burns (!) (knock on wood)

I've been wrestling to get another pre ATSC DVD HDD burner from a "survivalist" perspective, however, I'm also tempted to just stick it out with the 32. Thoughts of the Pio640 and the Toshi35 are units that I ponder.

Any suggestions? As long as I can get media for the 32 and it works, I would be happy.

BTW, all these Toshi models confuse me: 32, 34, 35, 54, and a couple more. I'm interested in the latest models that would have the best media compatilibity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 515 Old 04-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Liked: 10
They way I look at it, is most manufacturers install junky dvd burners...
Once I installed the LG 4163B in mine, it's been great!

I buy Ritek 8x DVD-R mostly and it now works great with them,
before I had to buy some Sony 2x media, bah!
post #183 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

Decisions... decisions...
I've been wrestling to get another pre ATSC DVD HDD burner from a "survivalist" perspective, however, I'm also tempted to just stick it out with the 32. Thoughts of the Pio640 and the Toshi35 are units that I ponder.

Any suggestions? As long as I can get media for the 32 and it works, I would be happy.

I can't speak about other brands, as I've only had Toshibas, but most people seem to be happy with the XS35 picture quality and feature set.

Disadvantages - XS35 fan is always on. My XS32, and XS54 are very sensitive to copy protection signals, for example, Encore Mystery/Westerns from Dish Network.

Advantages - Great features, editing, etc. My XS54 can read and finalize all the unfinalized DVDs from my XS32. If the XS35 can do that too, that would be good in case your XS32 quits with a backlog of unfinalized DVDs.

From a survivalist point of view, I'd at least buy an LG drive soon, for the day when your XS32 burner WILL die.
post #184 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape75 View Post

H42N is for some reason hard to find ...

H50N unfortunately has the Panasonic chipset.

I replaced my 4163 which was great with H42 drive.

newegg has both the H42N and H42LK for under $35.
post #185 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 AM

I bought the H42N for $40 canadian - but it was special order

The H42L is a lightscribe and not required for a standalone dvd unit,
but it can also be flashed with h42n or h44n firmware to disable that.
post #186 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

No need to crossflash to remove the Lightscribe (it'll void your warranty if you do), the "L" variations will just work fine as is...
post #187 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM

True but it can be flashed back anytime
post #188 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Hello, some of what I've been reading seems to be a bit over my head except the part about replacing the dvd drive in the -32.
I finally replaced mine with the LG-H22L, after trying a samsung, a philips and an empex (which said sony on the top), all from Fry's. The LG was actually from Best Buy. The other units gave me an error of...7700?
However, I still can't do anything with the ram disc. It will no longer play mp3 discs, (cd's?), or vcd's. I thought that possibly loading the curent firmware in might work, but the Toshiba service center didn't seem to think so. The current firmware displayed, after the LG installation says ZL10, 1.00.
Other wise, the unit works as advertised.
Any suggestions on getting the mp3/cd's ,and vcd's to work?
Thanks!
post #189 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anyone has gotten CDs to work on ANY replacement drive for the XS32.. it's the big "gotcha" in the drive switch.
post #190 of 515 Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone determined what actually fails in the 32 drives? If it is a common failure, it might be worth learning how to repair them.
post #191 of 515 Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Thanks jmscott42. Just thought that might be a simple firmware load of some sort.
Thanks
post #192 of 515 Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape75 View Post

I have a SD-W3002 and I'll probably just throw it away ...

Hey, don't throw it away! I can be even MORE frugal, and use someone's *actual* XS32 drive! I'll pay shipping.. seriously.
post #193 of 515 Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

Has anyone determined what actually fails in the 32 drives? If it is a common failure, it might be worth learning how to repair them.

This isn't an answer to your question, but mine isn't completely dead yet (no Monty Python jokes)...

It just doesn't seem to like to write DVD-Rs past ~50% (I only have a couple of data points on that, admittedly). Trying to write past that ends up giving "there is an error with the disc, reading is the only option" or something like that. Though I haven't tried writing ONE long program like that. This is with discs that I keep putting a bunch of musical performances on, one or a few at a time. (But I did run into the problem in less than a day of use, it wasn't one that had sat around for months unfinalized, though I have lots of those too!)

It seems to work fine with the DVD-RWs I already have mostly.. (I had one DVD-RW go corrupted as I described here a while ago -- I wasn't even writing to it at the time.) DVD-RAMs started going corrupted around a year or so ago.

Other people's problems seem to be that they can't write to ANY discs.
post #194 of 515 Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My XS32 failed to recognize ANY disc... it seemed like the motor was seizing or something, as after the drive door closed, I'd hear a thunk or two and wouldn't hear or feel any sign of anything spinning, and it would never recognize a disc-- no error, no messages, just wouldn't light up a light.

Strangely, it happened a week or two before my PC burner died almost exactly the same way.
post #195 of 515 Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So I got the "Hammer Storage" drive from Fry's yesterday. This is the one that's $20 after rebate. What I noticed on the package yesterday, and confirmed on the drive (which is still in the XS32) is that it is a Panasonic drive. It also had a DVD+R and a 2-3x DVD-RAM in the package.

Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't work in the XS32.

It actually seems to me like the XS32 basically doesn't see that there's any DVD drive connected. (I was scared at first, since the XS32 starts up a LOT faster than with the original drive!!)

If I close the drive tray, whether or not there is a disc in it, it immediately opens again. I was able to power off the machine with a disc in it, it still didn't realize there was a disc in it upon powering up.

Upon looking in the machine again, I noticed that the small ribbon cable near the back left of the was disconnected I don't know for sure if it was disconnected while I was trying or not, but I reconnected it (the machine was powered down of course), but the results were no different upon powering up.

I made sure that the drive was 'master' and that the cable was securely plugged in.

Did anybody else have issues like this with other drives they tried? Are there any other ideas about making the machine even see that there was a drive there? (Since eject on the remote ejects the drive, of course it sees it at some level.)

I guess I'm going to return it this weekend. Darn, the fact that it's a Panasonic drive made me more hopeful that it would work. I would have been HAPPIER with some kind of immediate error code like you get when you try to put another hard drive in.
post #196 of 515 Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM

I've replaced the burners in a few XS32s with LGs, and I've never had a drive keep opening like that. If you plug in just the drive's power but leave the IDE off, and the drive opens and closes normally, you can make sure that it isn't simply a bad drive. Also, you could hook up your original XS32 burner and make sure it works okay, then try the Hammer again.
post #197 of 515 Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

When I've replaced the burner the replacement burner's front face plate has to be removed. This allow it to fit into the Toshiba. But the problem is the replacement burner still has the eject button exposed. Sometimes the drive cover on the Toshiba, when it swings open, will hit the eject button. Thus starting the open/close thing. The easiest thing to do is back the replacement drive away from the door a bit so this doesn't happen. At least this is the case with a DKR2 so it may apply to the XS32 as well.
post #198 of 515 Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Another thing is to check the DVD software version in the Setup/Management Settings menu. If it matches the ROM version on the Hammer/Panasonic label, then the XS32 is definitely recognizing the burner, and the problem is most likely either an incompatible or malfunctioning burner.
post #199 of 515 Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll play with it again with the top off. I didn't think of the obvious eject button.

Though I think I did see the eject light blinking, which I seem to remember that the instruction booklet said was bad..

Also, I just checked the first page in this thread and this one apparently isn't it -- wasn't there a thread where someone gave specific instructions about how to physically get the new drive in? I didn't try to put the little foam holder on the new one yet to make sure it fit the opening.
post #200 of 515 Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I'll play with it again with the top off. I didn't think of the obvious eject button.

I'd bet that it's the Toshiba front drive cover ever so slightly touching the eject button on the replacement drive when it closes. I've seen it happen before.

Also here's a tip with the replacement drive. If you ever have a hosed disc that you can't eject using the remote or the eject button on the machine you can flip open the front drive cover and push the eject button on the replacement drive using a pen or something similar. This will eject the disc.
post #201 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM

I tried the new drive with the top off of the 32 and the new drive carefully resting on top of non-sensitve parts to make sure I wouldn't get an error of 7700 after installing it. An error I got with several other drives. (A philips and an empex). Once I realized that the -32 saw the new LG, I disconnected it and popped off the face plate. I think that I may have that problem also with the tray opening and closing.
After looking around originally on the AVS UK forum I saw a part of the one the threads indicating that Toshiba shipped a number of of these -32's with defective lenses.
Hey, Mattack, if yo're still interested in my old drive let e kow if you really want it shipped.
One more thing. Anyone ever upgrade their hard drive with a larger HDD?
post #202 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM

I haven't heard of anyone successfully swapping XS32 HDDs yet, but I'll have my replacement Maxtor drive in a day or two, and will post the results here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=839070

Also check the XS54 HDD swap thread for more info. We've been able to swap HDDs in XS54s and an XS34.
post #203 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Partial success.

Yes, it must be the door on the XS32. (Can you remove the door easily? I didn't look very hard, but I don't know if it'll pop off easily like a remote control flap for example.)

The good:
So, with the new DVD burner connected, but tilted up so access was not through the regular door (i.e. top off the XS32), I WAS able to put in a DVD-R, burn new recordings to it, and finalize.
I "wasted" one DVD-R, because I only filled it up around halfway full (I have a ZILLION ~3 minute song recordings, and was getting sick of doing a few at a time). I confirmed that the recordings were actually there on the disc (ffed through some, didn't actually play any of them), and were viewable on computer after finalizing before deleting from XS32.

I was ALSO able to see recordings on an unfinalized DVD-RW and I think an unfinalized DVD-R. I never got a DVD-RAM to work, though I only tried one I think, and I was also possibly running into the following problem.

The bad:
The XS32 only seems to recognize the disc that is inserted WHEN IT IS TURNED ON. It recognized a DVD-R and a DVD-RW (and lit the correct light on the XS32) when that was in upon power up. It does NOT recognize disc changes. If I try to go into the content menu after switching discs, it just says "the disc is empty". Also, "Open" remains on the front of the XS32.. so it's essentially never getting the 'inserted' message.

The ugly:
This is very very minor comparatively, and is possibly related to the above major problem, but I the display on the front keeps changing modes on me. I leave it in 'time' mode, and the only time it usually changes is when I go into disk space remaining mode (and it goes back into time mode when I hit the free space button again on the remote). But it keeps changing to one of the other modes.. possibly when I am inserting discs. No, I'm not accidentally hitting the 'front select' button or anything.

88redhonda -- even if I *do* keep this drive, I think I am interested, esp if you really are just going to throw it away. If it works at all, I think I'd rather use the 'real' drive until it goes kaput too, since it's by definition better supported.

Anyway, I don't suppose there's any way to get this to work any better, is there? I'll go search to see if there are firmware upgrades for the drive or anything, but I doubt it.

I forgot, even with the DVD-R in upon startup, it did NOT say "a blank DVD is loaded" or whatever.. but I was able to write to it. I am 99% sure I did NOT manually dismiss the alert.

Oh yeah, the DVD-R I used was the 8X NEXXTECH from Circuit City which wouldn't even start burning on the orig recorder.
post #204 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That REALLY surprises me since the Panasonic chipset should be nearly identical to the LG 4166/H22 drives that many of us have had success with.

That said, I bought one of the Pansonic 9585 drives after having an awesome external Panasonic USB DVD-RAM drive, and it's (the 9585) undoubtedly one of the worst burners I have ever used. Doesn't support much media, not very good quality burns except on absolute top notch stuff, etc. It lives now in a "spare parts" Frankenputer running Win 98 as a DVD-RAM drive to transfer bigger files. (The 98 machine doesn't have network access) Hammer just rebadges Panasonic drives...

(it really amazed me because for a long time Panasonic made very, very good burners-- as long as you used good media. This drive just burned acceptably on good media... it really needed a firmware update (or 5) but while I could find what claimed to be proper firmware, the updaters always said it was the wrong drive.)
post #205 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Mattack, I've been using the LG GSA-H22L. I bought it from Best Buy, but you can get it from Fry's also. I've been able to burn to Playo, from Staples, a GQ from Fry's, and the Nexxtech. Also, I've successfully burned and erased on a maxell dvd-rw.
Jmscott42 passed on some info on the firmware in that there hasn't been anyone known that has been able to update the firmware after installing the new LG burner. I called Toshiba to ask for help and they couldn't help.
The management settings menu. After I installed the LG, the software version and the dvd drive software changed completely to ZL10 and 1.00. If I'm not mistaken one of those numbers said 1314 with the original tosh. burner. So, the LG changed things completely.
The only problem I have is that I can't play mp3 discs or vcds. As jmscott42 mentioned, that's the gotcha in this drive swap.
Sorry but I can't comment on the other problems, mattack, the bad and the ugly.
If you want this old drive who knows wether or not the software version will revert back to the original.
By the way, I put the cd-rom that came with the LG into the the toshiba just to see what would happen. I was hoping to somehow get the tosh. to play mp3's/vcd's. No luck.
Anyway, maybe you could give the -H22L a try, and if it's still not working...I'll hang on to this original burner until I hear from you. You also have to just kind of look closely at the faceplate on all sides and wiggle it a little bit to see how it's attached and go from there. One of those jewelers screwdrivers will greatly help, too.
post #206 of 515 Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 PM

mattack - A tab on each side of the door pivots on a pin that fits into a hole on the XS32 inner panel. Open the door and gently pry the pins out of the holes by pushing in on the tabs. Remove the spring from the pin on the right side. With the door open fully, wiggle the right side tab out first, then tilt the door and wiggle the left tab out.

Or, as nextoo said, you could leave the new burner set back a little from the front cover. 88redhonda's right - a screwdriver, some looking and jiggling, and you should be able to figure out how to remove the cover. There's a bit about this in the last posts here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post10364495

The XS32 updates the Setup Menu Drive software version to show the ROM version of whatever burner is installed. With my LG 4167B it shows DL12, with my LG H42L it shows SL00. I think the original burners show 1308, 1410, or similar.

I got my new LG H42L burner and tried it in my XS32 with TY 8X -R , and it's dubbed, burned and finalized fine. Of course, won't play CDs, but it does read and finalize TY 4X -Rs from the original burner. To be repetitive, the LGs seem to have fewer compatibility problems overall.
post #207 of 515 Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

mattack - don't remove the front cover from the XS32. The mounting answer is simple. It requires an "Apollo 13" approach. Or what others might call the "MacGyver" solution.

You need to move the replacement drive back a bit from the front cover. You can test where the best spot is by testing using the eject button. When you find the right spot you'll notice that the mounting bracket screw holes won't line up with the drive. Now the MacGyver part. Use duct tape to secure the drive. I'm not suggesting 40 lbs of it but a few lengths of it. A couple to strap the bracket to the drive and then one or two straps perpendicular to the bracket should do it. Duct tape holds the world together and if it can get Apollo 13 back home it will work in your XS32. It works fine in my DKR2. The drive is fully secured and the tray operates as it should.
post #208 of 515 Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

..........The bad:
The XS32 only seems to recognize the disc that is inserted WHEN IT IS TURNED ON. It recognized a DVD-R and a DVD-RW (and lit the correct light on the XS32) when that was in upon power up. It does NOT recognize disc changes. If I try to go into the content menu after switching discs, it just says "the disc is empty". Also, "Open" remains on the front of the XS32.. so it's essentially never getting the 'inserted' message...........

Remember you can't use the eject button on the replacement drive when inserting a disc. When you're testing a replacement drive and it is sitting on top of the OEM drive with the case open it is very easy to do this. If you do the XS32 will not recognize the disc. You have to use the eject button on the machine or the one on the remote when inserting a disc.

This also holds true when closing the tray. You can't use the button on the replacement drive. The XS32 does not see this action so "open" will remain on the display. You have to use the remote or the eject button on the machine. Just pretend the eject button on the replacement drive isn't there. You'll be fine.
post #209 of 515 Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Hey I'm just here update you all on replacing my DVD drive in my Toshiba XS-32. The drives that have been listed on here in the past weren't available, at least that I could find. I did however find a blog that someone had replaced their drive with an LG GSA-H10N so I found an LG GSA-H10L at newegg for around $20. I bought my DVR on ebay and it did work for about a month and finally it had probelms with finalizing and finding thumbnails for finalizing and I had to go through 5 DVD-R's to finally figure that I needed to change out the drive. FYI I'm using Memorex 16x DVD-R's.

The only difference in the LG drives mentioned above are that mine is the lightscribe, of course this feature isn't available in the DVR, BUT it does record and copy and how! I think to record 8- 30 minute shows on a DVD-R it took about 30 minutes, and now it takes less than 10!!! PLUS the finalizing took about a minute or two with the old and less than 1 with the new!!! I haven't tried the DVDRAM yet, but I don't really care about it anyways, this is what the HDD is for.

I was told in the instructions to test the drive before installing it and I did, and now I'm here to tell you the the LG GSA-H10L DOES WORK!!! A great replacement for your unit. I recommend this all the way! My unit didn't even have any error messages on it, it just had finalizing issues, and couldn't read a disk once all the tv shows were written on a disk.

It includes pictures and great instructions, these are the ones I used. You should be able to get the drive I used from newegg just use key words. I hope this helps.
post #210 of 515 Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Remember you can't use the eject button on the replacement drive when inserting a disc. When you're testing a replacement drive and it is sitting on top of the OEM drive with the case open it is very easy to do this. If you do the XS32 will not recognize the disc. You have to use the eject button on the machine or the one on the remote when inserting a disc.

This also holds true when closing the tray. You can't use the button on the replacement drive. The XS32 does not see this action so "open" will remain on the display. You have to use the remote or the eject button on the machine. Just pretend the eject button on the replacement drive isn't there. You'll be fine.

I'll try again.. But I could swear that some times, I DID use the remote's open/close button. Usually I just pushed the tray partially in so it injects. (That works on the ORIGINAL DVD burner, IIRC.)

BTW, about the firmware -- really stupid question. None of you guys are implying that you can/do CHANGE the firmware on the replacement drive, right? The firmware is obviously locked to the hardware (in the DVD burner)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page