Problem finalizing with Toshiba D-VR4X - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I've been using a Toshiba D-VR4X I got for Christmas to put VHS tapes on DVD. And it had worked well until the beginning of the month. What happened then was, I had just stopped a session of dubbing to DVD. I knew I didn't have much space left, so I attempted to put a title on the disc. But when I hit "OK", it went to a welcome screen as if I had just turned the unit on. So I said, "forget that, lemme just finalize the thing." But when I tried to do that it started to finalize, but didn't get very far when it went to a welcome screen also. I tried a few different things, I turned off the machine for a while, unplugged it. But the results were still the same. I set that aside for the moment and attempted to make more disks which were successful. But now I've hit the same problem again. One strange thing I noticed was that, after hitting the "Display" button twice while on the "DVD" side of the machine, to see how much space was left on the DVD, it showed all zero's. And I'm nearly positive I had space left, especially on the second failure. I hope someone here can help me! Thanks!

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like media problems. Try a new blank, and/or a different brand.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
Sounds like media problems. Try a new blank, and/or a different brand.
I see. That's a bit fortunate because I only have one disk left ofa 25 pack of Sony's that I bought. I do have a stack of 100 TDK's after that.

Any chance of recovering what's on the failed disks, or should I just toss em?

Thanks for responding, bobkart!

-Dan
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Toss 'em. You still have the original material right? This is when an HDD unit comes in handy, you wouldn't have to record the tape again, you'd still have it on the hard disc drive.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
As bobkart said, toss 'em. They are useless pieces of plastic now. The CD/DVD recording community as a whole refers to these failed-to-finalize or recording-failed disks as coasters because their only use now is to put your coffee cup on them to protect your desktop.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart
Toss 'em. You still have the original material right? This is when an HDD unit comes in handy, you wouldn't have to record the tape again, you'd still have it on the hard disc drive.
Yes, thankfully, I still have it. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
As bobkart said, toss 'em. They are useless pieces of plastic now. The CD/DVD recording community as a whole refers to these failed-to-finalize or recording-failed disks as coasters because their only use now is to put your coffee cup on them to protect your desktop.
Aha, I see! I guess that's the bright side in all this: I have two new coasters!
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page