$96.88 Magnavox MSR90D6 multi-format DVD recorder at Sams Club... - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 510 Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Following up on what wabjxo posted, I'd plug it back in and set the clock to "Auto" but manually input your local PBS station number. Of course, you'll have to have a cable/antenna connection. Then, power off the unit and give it some time to reset the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 510 Old 11-20-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Following up on Force, it just occurred to me that the PBS station time signal inserter/encoder might be broken, and there are ~40 states that run unmanned stations from a central Network Ops Center (NOC). They're supposed to visit the unmanned stations regularly, but then ...

Often, the NOC engineers don't know something is wrong until they get a call from someone complaining. This happened a lot in 2005-2006 with the Pioneer TVGOS system signal.

I'd call my local PBS station, ask for the chief engineer, and suggest that their time signal doesn't appear to be working?

Edit: Oops, Illinois has PBS affiliates (no unmanned stations and a NOC?).

Here are the affiliates in Illinois:

WEIU (Charleston, IL)

WILL-TV/Channel 12 (Urbana, IL)

WMEC (Macomb, IL)

WQEC (Quincy, IL)

WSEC (Jacksonville, IL)

WQPT (Moline, IL)

WSIU/WUSI (Carbondale, IL)

WTTW (Chicago, IL)

WTVP (Peoria, IL)

WYCC (Chicago, IL)
post #483 of 510 Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
I bought this thing from Sams Club on a total whim, even before I knew this thread existed. Glad to see its a popular item. I havent done much with it yet, but so far so good. The 2 hour rec mode looks just as good as HQ mode to me (I don't have HDTV so Im sure my TV masks some of the artifacts, still it looks great) and its easy to use. My only complaint is the god awful remote. Too small, as are the buttons and I have to aim the remote right at the unit to get any control whatsoever. Has a very very poor IR field to work with. Hope I can program some of its functions into my Dish 311 remote.
post #484 of 510 Old 11-27-2007, 12:53 AM

I've been reading this thread - great advice!

This may be a stupid question, but here goes . . .

We got my brother the MSR90d6 from Sam's about a year ago. It's died somehow - not sure what happened. My bro is freaked because he hadn't finalized a bunch of discs, which I think are R-.

Tonight at Wal-Mart we found the MWR10d6 on sale at 1/2 price for about $50. I've been reading on here that the two models are twins with different names.

Any advice on whether the replacement recorder will be able to successfully finalize the discs?

Help me, AV Science Forum . . . you're my only hope . . . .
post #485 of 510 Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessofdork View Post

We got my brother the MSR90d6 from Sam's about a year ago. It's died somehow - not sure what happened. My bro is freaked because he hadn't finalized a bunch of discs, which I think are R-.

Tonight at Wal-Mart we found the MWR10d6 on sale at 1/2 price for about $50. I've been reading on here that the two models are twins with different names.

Any advice on whether the replacement recorder will be able to successfully finalize the discs?

They appear to be the same recorder. The S is probably for Sams and the W for WalMart. Long story short. It should work just like the original
post #486 of 510 Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Many thanks for the reply!
post #487 of 510 Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 130
wabjxo and Force: A belated thanks for all your suggestions. Having total strangers trying to help leaves me feeling humble-thanks for caring. Unfortunately nothing has worked and I've come to the conclusion the clock just took a dump. Which is weird...
Outside of that, the machine did everything I expected and since they are down to $80 now I'll probably get another. Since noone else has posted of any similiar problems I'm willing to believe it was just one defective unit.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #488 of 510 Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

wabjxo and Force: A belated thanks for all your suggestions. Having total strangers trying to help leaves me feeling humble-thanks for caring. Unfortunately nothing has worked and I've come to the conclusion the clock just took a dump. Which is weird...
Outside of that, the machine did everything I expected and since they are down to $80 now I'll probably get another. Since noone else has posted of any similiar problems I'm willing to believe it was just one defective unit.

Too bad you couldn't find a solution. Losing the clock really cripples the usefulness of the unit.

Pardon me while I go off-topic a bit, but if you're looking for a cheap replacement check out the Radio Shack web site. They have a Presidian marked down to $29.99 but the supply is limited. About 3-4 weeks ago I had a local RS with stock, but I wasn't sure I wanted it and then when I checked this past weekend they were out. I was hesitant because they only can use -R/-RW and I've already got a case of +RW (yes, a case ).
post #489 of 510 Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

You might want to sell it on eBay.

I only use mine to burn stuff that I've already got on my cable box DVR & there must be other people like me who never even set the clock!!!

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #490 of 510 Old 12-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post

You might want to sell it on eBay.

I only use mine to burn stuff that I've already got on my cable box DVR & there must be other people like me who never even set the clock!!!

I agree with philherz as I am another who has two replay tv and never use the clock, so there must be others that watch eBay who would be happy with your unit.
Don't know where you bought it but if it was at Sams, just take it back and exchange it.
post #491 of 510 Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by duchessofdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post

They appear to be the same recorder. The S is probably for Sams and the W for WalMart. Long story short. It should work just like the original

The difference between Walmart and Sam's Club is that Sam's Club will take it back a year or two down the line (long after the factory warranty runs out) when the units inevitably crap out. Walmart's return policy is 90 days. After that you are stuck with sending it out for repairs if repairs are even possible.

I bought two a couple of weeks ago and right out of the box one was defective. I took it back to Sam's Club and returned. The supply of these units at that store had dwindled to a handful so I bought two more instead of just one.

Once you get past how squirrelly these things are they are OK for the price.
post #492 of 510 Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 PM

I find that I cannot play a DVD +RW recorded on my LiteOn 5005A. It'll show the title box and a picture in the title box, but hit Play and nothing happens.

I have no trouble playing DVD +RW that a made on a Sony DVD recorder and I have no trouble playing commercial DVDs.

And I have no trouble playing DVD +RWs on the LiteOn that I made on the Magnavox.

Any ideas?
post #493 of 510 Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uponthestair View Post

Originally Posted by duchessofdork

The difference between Walmart and Sam's Club is that Sam's Club will take it back a year or two down the line (long after the factory warranty runs out) when the units inevitably crap out. Walmart's return policy is 90 days. After that you are stuck with sending it out for repairs if repairs are even possible.

I bought two a couple of weeks ago and right out of the box one was defective. I took it back to Sam's Club and returned. The supply of these units at that store had dwindled to a handful so I bought two more instead of just one.

Once you get past how squirrelly these things are they are OK for the price.

Thanks for the further advice! I guess we'll give the Sam's Return Policy a try! Wish us luck! Thanks again!
post #494 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM

I've had my Maggie for a couple years now and it has always worked fine.

I've noticed that in the last few months it's started to make more coasters, but I'm not sure if it might be my DVD recorder getting older or if it's most of my DVD+RW disks getting older and reused more and more!!??

Any thoughts?

Any way to check???

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #495 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
As you say, could be either. Break out a new batch of +RW disks and see how it goes. That will tell you one way or the other.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #496 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As you say, could be either. Break out a new batch of +RW disks and see how it goes. That will tell you one way or the other.

I knew you'd say that.

I still have a few brand new +RWs and I'll try those out, but I don't think I ever had a problem with a disk until it's been erased & re-recorded at least one time!!!

Almost all of my disks are Office Depot or other bargain brands. I seem to get anywhere from 1 to 5 re-records before they stop working.

Would that be typical?

Would a more expensive brand perform better?

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #497 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Would a more expensive brand perform better?

Than Office Depot? Probably. Try Verbatim if you have them at a store around you (and if you can find +RW's, if that's what you want). Otherwise, try Sony.

Online go for Taiyo-Yuden or Verbatim.
post #498 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've used Maxell, Verbatims and Office Depot brands -RW discs for several years. I think probably 25 times is the most I've recorded to any one disc and still going strong. I reformat after each timeshift. I've only used +RW's a few times. Your situation sounds like a recorder problem to me.
post #499 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Your situation sounds like a recorder problem to me.

I'd tend to agree.....These same disks seemed to be much more reliable 6 months ago, but certainly there have always been some problems.

Any idea of a decent replacement for my Magnavox? All I ever do is copy stuff off of my Satellite Box HD Recorder when I run out of room.

I don't need HD, dubbing, chapters or even a tuner!

I saw someone mention a Toshiba DR400 for $120.

My forum search didn't yield any obvious threads.

thnx!!

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #500 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm no expert on tunerless DVDR's but it sounds like you really just need a basic unit. I'd probably suggest something like a Toshiba. Costco and I think Sams sells basic ones for a little over $100 from what I've seen. I see a thread on the Toshiba 410 on this first page of posts. You might find a few others on the next few pages. Panasonics cheapest tunerless DVDR EA-18 is $179 and may be a overkill for your application. From what I've read I'd personally stay away from Sony's or Polaroids. They each seem to have more issues than others. I guess I'm not a big fan of the Funia recorders, ala Magnavox. The Philips 3575/6 is an exception.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014246
post #501 of 510 Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

OT, but did anyone notice Funai (Parent Co that make the Mag DVD-R) is selling a low cost BD player at WM for $298.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ighlight=funai
post #502 of 510 Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. Funai makes Denon DVD players? Now that's a shock.

Still not interested until they record, though.
post #503 of 510 Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Wow. Funai makes Denon DVD players? Now that's a shock.

Still not interested until they record, though.

Did you also notice the Insignia brand. Could the Zenith/Insignia CECB's be of Funai origin?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #504 of 510 Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw that but it didn't even dawn on me. I wonder?

(They would have to be using some different electronics in the CECB boxes than they use in the Philips/Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders obviously, just based on the PQ.)
post #505 of 510 Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

(They'd would have to be using some different electronics in the CECB boxes than they use in the Philips/Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders obviously, just based on the PQ.)

Obviously. The point being, if they can use a really good tuner in an econo CECB, why not put it in the Philips/Magnavox. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten certified if they used the same tuners as in the DVDR's.

- kelson h

post #506 of 510 Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM

I purchased this at Sam's for $79 May, 2007. Just shy of one year it will not turn on. I contacted the manufacturer and while they said the parts were under warranty, the labor was not and it would cost $45 to repair it. I was not particularly fond of this recorder as it was very picky without reason on which disc it would recognize. I always use dvd-rw. Sometimes I would record on a disc but it would not recognize the disc on playback. I also didn't quite understand why sometimes I could edit a disc (to put a title on it) and other times I only had the option to play the disc. I never changed any of the settings. I also thought it was very slow in loading a disc even a blank disc just to set the timer recording. Another electronic device headed to the landfill.
post #507 of 510 Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I've used Maxell, Verbatims and Office Depot brands -RW discs for several years. I think probably 25 times is the most I've recorded to any one disc and still going strong. I reformat after each timeshift. I've only used +RW's a few times. Your situation sounds like a recorder problem to me.

I finally figured out a test which didn't use my Maggy- I took a DVD that plays perfectly and used the "Copy Disk" function on my PC to make a copy of it- first to a used maxell +RW and then to an unused Office Depot +RW.

The used maxell +RW made a poor copy which tends to stutter...the picture freezes regularly for 2-5 seconds then plays OK. (This was only the 4th re-use of this disk!!)

The unused Office Depot +RW copy appears perfect.

Soooo, it appears that it's the disks since both my Maggy and PC's DVD burner are making disks with video that freeze regularly.

Anyone know what might cause RW disks to do this after 2 or 3 or 4 uses? (Both +RW and -RW fail after a few uses?)

Is there any way to get these to work better? (Quick and complete reformatting each time makes no difference and there are no visible scratches on these disks!)

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #508 of 510 Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM

In my experience, it's not a matter of making a disc work better, it's a matter of using better discs. Drop the Maxell, avoid Memorex and stay away from Imation for +RW.
I bet if you did a scan on your discs they would look awful and you'd understand why your Maggy chokes on them. Some of those +RWs are bad after the FIRST burn. (The ODs quality really depends on who their supplier is... sometimes good, sometimes bad.)

Don't buy cheap media. Personally, I use HP branded +RW (PHILIPS 041) I've been using the same discs for 3 years now and have not needed to buy a new one yet. A lot of people swear by Verbatim +RW as well...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
post #509 of 510 Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak101 View Post

I bet if you did a scan on your discs they would look awful and you'd understand why your Maggy chokes on them.

I'll have to give those brands a try, but but do you mean by scan a disc???

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #510 of 510 Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:

My Maggy makes poor copies which tends to stutter...the picture freezes regularly for 2-5 seconds then plays OK.

I finally figured out a way to view my burned Maggy disks on my PC by using VLC to look at .VOB files.

Big surprise, a disk which was stuttering on my Maggy is perfect on the PC!!

Soooo, now the question is whether there is any way to have this 2 year old DVD recorder work like it used to or is it simply time to replace it?

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page