$96.88 Magnavox MSR90D6 multi-format DVD recorder at Sams Club... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 510 Old 04-29-2006, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have a unit yet but I've downloaded the manual to study. Look @ page, 62 the bottom half "Making Edits Compatible" is for DVD+RW only. That may help clear things up. I have a Liteon 5005 and I use +RW exclusively. I get it like I want it and copy it on my PC to a +/-R. Hope this helps. BTW has anyone tested the 4 hr. & 6 hr. mode to see how good or bad they are??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 510 Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4021 View Post

ok, I tried the DVD+R Verbatim disk, no audio on laptop and dektop, but audio ok if played back on the MSR90D6?, anyone have any ideas why?
Thanks
Ron

Try downloading the free VLC Media Player, I had the same problem with an ILO DVD Recorder it wouldn't play the burnt disc on my desktop computer. Good Luck and I hope it works for you.
post #93 of 510 Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 AM

Try downloading the free VLC Media Player, I had the same problem with an ILO DVD Recorder it wouldn't play the burnt disc on my desktop computer. Good Luck and I hope it works for you.
post #94 of 510 Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

Look @ page, 62 the bottom half "Making Edits Compatible" is for DVD+RW only. That may help clear things up.

Yes, but When I edit the Title Name and Index picture on a DVD-R, these show up fine when played back on another player. Only the Chapter Marks are not being done on the DVD-R.
post #95 of 510 Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM

I was at SAMS Club today, and I have to admit, being a Panasonic DVD Recorder Owner, this unit looks very nice. It doesn't look like a $98 unit at all. Does this unit run pretty cool and is it forgivable with VHS dubbing (like having a TBC)? Some DVD Recorders stop recording when the pictures goes "out of whack". Having an open mind, It's nice to see so many satisfied Magnavox owners in this thread. There was a time when Magnavox ruled the earth in the early 90s with their non-destructable VCRs and Televisions. My dad had a Magnavox VCR and it took over a decade for that thing to die after being constantly used.
post #96 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I hooked up the VHS to the Mag today. I am beginning the archive process of my VHS tapes to DVD. I have some live concert footage unavailable on DVD and these need to go digital. Other than the source VHS looks like crap on most of these, the Mag is working just fine to capture these to disc. No signs of shutdown during TBC that I have noticed.
post #97 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was thinking of buying one of these to copy some programs from my cable box's SA8300HD-DVR when I run out of room on the harddrive.

I realize it won't be a true digital transfer if I use the 8300's "copy to VCR" function....just want it to look better than my VCR copy.

If my VCR tapes made using this "copy to VCR" have a quality of "5 or 6" on a 1 to 10 scale, any guess what the score for this unit would be?

Anyone see any downside to this unit for that purpose???

thnx

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #98 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post

Anyone see any downside to this unit for that purpose?

That's exactly what I use mine for (and for playing DVDs), and it performs admirably.

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #99 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post

That's exactly what I use mine for (and for playing DVDs), and it performs admirably.

So if I dumped one to this unit and one to my VCR, the quality difference would be obvious?

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #100 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Have no idea; remember- the output can only be as good as the input, foremost. Factor in MPEG compression effects (probably negligible if you use XP speed) and I guess it should be a'ight, but the thing to do is just try it and see.

Comcast - 94039
post #101 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBelmont View Post

IThere was a time when Magnavox ruled the earth in the early 90s with their non-destructable VCRs and Televisions. My dad had a Magnavox VCR and it took over a decade for that thing to die after being constantly used.

The early 90s Magnavox VCR were made by Panasonic.
post #102 of 510 Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM

Actually, The Matsushita Group, right?

Comcast - 94039
post #103 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 05:30 AM

I bought a top of the line Magnavox VCR (made by Panasonic) instead of a Panasonic back then, because it had more bells, & whistles, & looked better then the pannys, and I knew my Panny TV combo remote would work. I loved it, It worked Great, It had the best Pic Quality I ever saw, and it was all lit up with moving stereo light bars, and showed me elapsed time on the tape, so I could pause for popcorn, and know how much was left on the movie, but it didn't last long I think the heat got to it by my eventually putting it in a bedroom armoire, with a compact 13" Magnavox TV.
post #104 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM

Can anyone tell me how to program a channel above # 69 into this model's tuner?

I have it hooked up to a Dish sat receiver, that has a modulator that uses channel # 73 for best picture quality. I was able to go into the sat receiver and change the modulator output to channel # 69, and it works fine, but just want to know why it won't go above 69.

If someone could go into: setup-channel- manual channel program. See if you can add channel # 73. Or just try to input it with the remote's number buttons.

Thanks
post #105 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleAction View Post

Can anyone tell me how to program a channel above # 69 into this model's tuner?

I have it hooked up to a Dish sat receiver, that has a modulator that uses channel # 73 for best picture quality. I was able to go into the sat receiver and change the modulator output to channel # 69, and it works fine, but just want to know why it won't go above 69.

If someone could go into: setup-channel- manual channel program. See if you can add channel # 73. Or just try to input it with the remote's number buttons.

Thanks

Could this be the difference between seeing it as a OTA tv channel vs a cable tV channel? I am only asking, i do not know the answer....

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #106 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 AM

ncaahoops;

. When I went into the sat receiver to set it for channel # 69, I had to change the setting to OTA from cable.

The recorder only seems to see the OTA setting, and yet the manual specifies either cable, or OTA can be hooked up to the RF input, and it also talks about how to punch in channel #'s over 99, but I can't figure what I'm doing wrong

I've been thru the whole manual, and played with every setting in the setup menu's!

That's why I'm asking if anyone else with the Magnavox recorder has this issue?
post #107 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 PM

I solved the problem!

I went into the manual add/delete channels, and removed all channels in memory, and did an auto scan again, and this time it was able to find # 73, and put in to memory!

Go figure!
post #108 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 03:19 PM

RF channel 69 is a different frequency from cable channel 69. RF channels > 13 are in the "UHF" band (formerly 14-83, now 14-69 to accomodate the analog cellular bands), while (from memory, don't quote me) the cable channels > 14 are somewhere either before or after the FM band.

Comcast - 94039
post #109 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post

RF channel 69 is a different frequency from cable channel 69. RF channels > 13 are in the "UHF" band (formerly 14-83, now 14-69 to accomodate the analog cellular bands), while (from memory, don't quote me) the cable channels > 14 are somewhere either before or after the FM band.

This may be so, but how do you explain after the initial set up and scan that the recorder tuner didn't see the channel the first time, and stopped at # 69, never seeing the modulator output(# 73) of my vip 622, which my Sony Vega set to cable channels did see all along.

What ever the cause, I'm very happy with this recorder, and well worth the money, and then some!
post #110 of 510 Old 05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

I carefully finalized all my -RW's for sometime until I accidentally forgot one time and then discovereed that the DVD-RW (VR)'s from my 5005's played on just about everything fine. And get this, sicne then I've had *less* compatibility problems with unfinalized disks than finalized - weird, eh.

I'm curious, does the 5005 have FR mode?
post #111 of 510 Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 AM

I just installed the Magnavox in my main room, running my digital cable box through to the tv using s-video and basic a/v cables. Last night, while watching CSI on Spike (not recording), the picture just froze. Got streaming audio, just a still frame of the show. Turned the tv off, turned it back on and it reset fine. My question is, could it have anything to do with the dvd recorder? I'm not running s-video from the recorder to the tv, just from the cable box to the recorder, so could that be the problem? It's never happened with my tv before. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Other than this instant, no problems. The recording quality from Starz is perfect.
post #112 of 510 Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 AM

I've had this Magnavox MSR90D6 for almost 3 weeks and so far everything is good on it. it's the best DVD recorder I've owned so far. except forget the 6hr recording mode: it's just too poor quality.
I've tried all formats with it; 5 or 6 different brands, and it handled all of them equally well, even the cheapies.
for those of you worried about longevity or buying extended service plans, WHY???? Sams Club guarantees satisfaction on everything they sell, no time limit. Just like Costco. In fact for me one of the major selling points on buying this unit was the fact that I could buy it at Sams Club.
The remote is cheezy, however, and it's my only complaint about this unit.
post #113 of 510 Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM

BTW, this is a great forum ! Never accessed it much, until I found all this info on the Sam's Club Magnavox DVD recorder.

I'll take a chance and ask a potentially-inflamatory question: are there other forums like this one out there, that are ...... just as good as this one? or is this the best of its kind on the net?

(reason I ask is that even though I belong to several different forums each, concerning my other three "passions" or areas of interest (motorcycles, caddys, and satellite tv) there is one main one for each of these areas that I frequent most often, yet I am glad to know about the others because sometimes I find something there that wasn't available on my "favorites").

Thanks.
post #114 of 510 Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this is the "BEST" Forum

Others to check are:

www.hometheaterforum.com
www.videohelp.com
www.audioreview.com

For "Pro" Reviews Try:
www.ecoustics.com
www.cnet.com
post #115 of 510 Old 05-02-2006, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

For "Pro" Reviews Try:
www.ecoustics.com
www.cnet.com

Actually I am a frequent contributor to the ecoustics.com forum which is a nice place for casual banter though you'll need to be patient enough to filter through all the random digressions, trolls, interpersonal squabbling, etc. to the 20% of useful info...their "professional" reviews however are not "professional" at all in any sense of the word...any registered user can post a review of any product.

CNET is slightly more "professional" but their audio reviews are often spotty, their computer/tech reviews are ok though.
post #116 of 510 Old 05-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Golfster,

I'm looking to buy VCR/DVD recorder combo from either Magnavox or Sylvania. I've been reading your posts and thanks for all the information you have supplied on this forum. Do you know if it would make a big difference if VCR/DVD recorder has both Component Video input and Component Video output. Right now I have Dish DVR 942 model using HDMI to Sony 60" LCD RP's HDMI. Would it give/record better picture quality if I connect Component out from DVR to Component in to DVD recorder and component out from DVD to component in on TV? Otherwise I would have to use S-Video from DVR to DVD recorder and component from DVD recorder to TV.

I really appreciate your response.

- Vic
post #117 of 510 Old 05-03-2006, 05:10 PM

My wife had one big question, can you record multiple episodes of a show on to one disk? I just picked one of these units up at Sam's. This is my first DVD Recorder and I'm not familiar with them at all. I've burned many different types of DVD's on my G4 Mac Tower. Also I went to Magnavox website and there is no DVD Recorder that even comes close to either the Sam's or WalMart model #. I think someone said they were fairly certain that the MWR10D6 at WalMart is the the same player. I went there with intentions of downloading the manual, I like .pdf manuals. I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow.
Thanks

Grateful11
post #118 of 510 Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

can you record multiple episodes of a show on to one disk?

Sure!

Comcast - 94039
post #119 of 510 Old 05-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

My wife had one big question, can you record multiple episodes of a show on to one disk?

Of course, the quality gets a tad worse the longer the recording mode. 1,2, even 3 hour mode seems fine on this model. I would suspect, as others have stated, the 6 hour mode will not be of the finest recording quality.
post #120 of 510 Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Man that sounds great! So I can record one show stop and then add another, that's cool! I looked over everything at WM and Sam's. They had a boatload of these at Sam's and WM's were dated May 2nd, '06 so I guess one could say they just got them. One player said it was DVD-RAM compatible, I thought that was kind of old technology, the first Macs we had did this format so why are recorders still using it? I'm looking forward to using this thing and will be back here I feel sure.
Thanks for the info!

Grateful11
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page