$96.88 Magnavox MSR90D6 multi-format DVD recorder at Sams Club... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 510 Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally found the MWR10D6 at Wal-Mart a few days ago. This was my first DVD-Recorder. I spent a couple weeks researching. One of my primary reasons for getting a DVD burner was to allow me to archive movies off my dvr, especially movies for the kids. One of the features I really wanted (not absolutely necessary, but very nice) was the ability to record from the dvr to dvd and then to be able to remove the commercials after the fact. I didn't want to pay for a recorder with a hard drive (I mostly didn't want to pay the extra $$ when I already have a dvr I'm very happy with). I had almost given up on being able to find a recorder that had these features (and still allowed the disc to be compatible with other dvd players). Then I read the reviews and features of this Magnavox, and decided to try it out.

I have been pleased with the device doing what I bought it for. It's a little time consuming to remove the commercials, but not too bad. I've burned a couple different types of DVD's (+RW, -RW, -R) and have been able to play the discs on my Sony player without finalizing, I've recorded some HD content in 1 hour mode, and some SD content in 2 & 3 hour settings and I have been happy with the quality.

The one real disappointment, as has been mentioned, is the "empty titles" that are left behind after removing commercials. For those that don't have the player, to remove commercials you create a new title at the start of the commercial, and then a new one at the end of the commercial. You then have the commercial isolated as its own title, which you can delete. The downside is that on the menu it leaves an empty box labeled "empty title" in its place, so you end up with an empty title at each commercial break.

It's not a huge deal, as my primary concern was to be able to remove the commercials so the movie can be played uninterrupted for the kidlings. But it's annoying (IMHO) to put the disk in the player and see all the empty titles in the menu.

Overall, I'm pleased with the player, especially for the price. For anyone considering this player for its editing features, it works well while maintaining compatibility with other players, but beware there is that one caveat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 510 Old 05-12-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Does empty title appear for all media types (-R/+R, -RW/+RW) or just rewriteables?

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #183 of 510 Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM

The "Empty" titles appear on -R and +R too...not just re-writables.

Why would they design this thing so you can't remove empty titles?
post #184 of 510 Old 05-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvcc View Post

The "Empty" titles appear on -R and +R too...not just re-writables.
Why would they design this thing so you can't remove empty titles?

Yes, it's one of the few REALLY annoying things about this piece of equipment. That and the cheezy remote with the tiny buttons that have to be pressed with the end of a pen or pencil to ensure accuracy.
Otherwise I love this recorder: quality of recordings and the flexibility is great.

I use it to dump my "to be saved" programs from my DVR and my VCR to this unit; love the fact that it has two seperate SVHS/audio-video inputs: front and back.
post #185 of 510 Old 05-14-2006, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
This recorder rocks! I guess I've had it for close to a month, not a bad burn yet. I'm using JVC dvd-r, HP dvd+r, and Memorex dvd-r. All are fine. i just bought some Imation discs, so we'll see how these are. By the way, if you have a Big Lots in your area, you can get a 50 pk of JVC dvd-r for $17.99 everyday. Not too bad, but then again Circuit City usually has a different 25 pk every week for around $6.99. (I'm Mr. Budget, so I care about these things!)
post #186 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 05:37 AM

Check to see if your Big Lots has Made-in-Japan Sony media- it's usually Taiyo Yuden if it's the 1X-8X brand.

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #187 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found discrete on/off IR codes for this recorder? I use JP1 remotes and I am currently programming a OFA 8910 URC.
post #188 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It appears they've raised the price for the Walmart version (the online price anyway). Not sure if the in-store price would be the same.

Vin
post #189 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post

Check to see if your Big Lots has Made-in-Japan Sony media- it's usually Taiyo Yuden if it's the 1X-8X brand.

Thanks, kcrudup. I'll take a look next time I'm there. Does it make a difference? This stuff is good to know... Also BUDGET DVD ALERT! FYE (usually located in malls) has 25 pks of Fuji dvd-r, +rw 2 for $12.99.
post #190 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 03:20 PM

Taiyo Yuden DVD media is widely regarded as the very best. Of course, at the slow speed these home DVD recorders burn at, you could use just about any old junk and still get a usuable recording (*cough*Ritek*cough*). In this case TY media probably gets you better longevity, which is probably a plus if you're archiving old VHS to DVD, or expect to save the shows you burn for a long time.

Comcast - 94039
post #191 of 510 Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Vin, That's the first time I've seen it on their website so maybe that's the opening website price?

I know a LOT of stuff on Wal-Mart's website is higher than in their stores & the web also carries a lot of stuff that you can't get in their stores & I've been told that the stores & website really operate as 2 different companies.

The flyer I just got in the mail from Wal-Mart has the Magnavox listed as a "New Item" & the price is $ 98.87 & that's what my local store has them priced at.
post #192 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

It appears they've raised the price for the Walmart version (the online price anyway). Not sure if the in-store price would be the same.

Ditto here. Just picked up one in-store for $98.87. They had at least a dozen of them.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #193 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 04:45 AM

$98.87 @ my local Wallyworld, too. Looks like they've replaced the ILO model with these.
post #194 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathrandir View Post

For those that don't have the player, to remove commercials you create a new title at the start of the commercial, and then a new one at the end of the commercial. You then have the commercial isolated as its own title, which you can delete. The downside is that on the menu it leaves an empty box labeled "empty title" in its place, so you end up with an empty title at each commercial break.

I've found that it is better to insert Chapter marks at the beginning and end of each commercial break, then "hide" the chapter. Finalizing (or "make compatible" with +RW) will also hide the commercials when played back on other machines. This way you don't end up with all the empty titles.

BTW, I saw the unit at Sam's a few weeks ago, came home and searched online, found very little about it--except on this forum. Thanks to everyone who submitted early reviews and now constant tips on how to use it. It is because of this forum that I decided to purchase the unit, and I haven't been disappointed.
post #195 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xapie128 View Post

I've found that it is better to insert Chapter marks at the beginning and end of each commercial break, then "hide" the chapter. Finalizing (or "make compatible" with +RW) will also hide the commercials when played back on other machines. This way you don't end up with all the empty titles.

Thanks. I'll try that out. I thought someone else had posted earlier in the thread that hiding chapters didn't work on other players (worked when played back through the Magnavox but not others). Perhaps they didn't finalize/"make compatible". I'm assuming that you don't reclaim any recording time this way?
post #196 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathrandir View Post

I'm assuming that you don't reclaim any recording time this way?

That is correct. The commercials are still there, they are just skipped over.

One minor issue though is that when it reaches a hidden chapter to skip, there is a short pause as the DVD is searched for the next chapter to pick up and start playing.
post #197 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 05:13 PM

Does this DVD recorder had a HD? If not, To use as I would a VCR, is the best way just to record to a DVD RW, and then re-use the DVD when I am done?
post #198 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does this model have VCR PLUS ? . I have noticed that some of the more expensive recorders have this feature , and does this feature work well or does doing the manual timer recording work better .
I am not sure exactly how VCR PLUS works , but it seems like it would be easier to just punch in a few numbers then having to manualy set the date , channel , start and end time .
Any thoughts ? .

Thanks
post #199 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 07:48 PM

tryed to play my CD-R's that have all my digital photos and screen says NOT compatable. AH! now the the quick install manual shows what's compatable
and CD-R with the compact disk logo is there, but N/G I have a dvd/vhs combo
unit and it plays all my CD's. do i have to copy to DVD disks to play them?
post #200 of 510 Old 05-16-2006, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

Does this model have VCR PLUS ? . I have noticed that some of the more expensive recorders have this feature , and does this feature work well or does doing the manual timer recording work better .
I am not sure exactly how VCR PLUS works , but it seems like it would be easier to just punch in a few numbers then having to manualy set the date , channel , start and end time .
Any thoughts ? .

Thanks

No, it doesn't have VCR+ Plus.
post #201 of 510 Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

I bought it two days ago at a Super Walmart in Raleigh, NC and it was 98 and coins, $105 with tax. They upped the online price, but not the store's.

Sebastian
post #202 of 510 Old 05-17-2006, 05:04 PM

I bought a Magnavox MSR90D6 today and it won't play any DVD+R disks I recorded on my Panasonic, either finalized or not finalized.

Any ideas about this?
post #203 of 510 Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe915 View Post

tryed to play my CD-R's that have all my digital photos and screen says NOT compatable. AH! now the the quick install manual shows what's compatable
and CD-R with the compact disk logo is there, but N/G I have a dvd/vhs combo
unit and it plays all my CD's. do i have to copy to DVD disks to play them?

Looks like we both got stuck with a machine that won't play the disks we already have.

This Magnavox claims to play DVD+R but it doesn't. I've got 200 disks of movies recorded on a Panasonic that this Magnavox won't play.

I'm returning it this afternoon and get my money back.
post #204 of 510 Old 05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I don't even consider the Mag as playback device, at least one that I care about. As soon as I burn a disc, I just put it into my Samsung 941 DVDP and watch it from there, as it just looks so much better. I even keep the Mag set with Prog scan off, so I can get output from the composite output that I use for a small TV to monitor progress during a burn.

Certainly you must have another DVDp that will playback those DVD+Rs?
post #205 of 510 Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

I guess I don't even consider the Mag as playback device, at least one that I care about. As soon as I burn a disc, I just put it into my Samsung 941 DVDP and watch it from there, as it just looks so much better. I even keep the Mag set with Prog scan off, so I can get output from the composite output that I use for a small TV to monitor progress during a burn.

Certainly you must have another DVDp that will playback those DVD+Rs?

Ditto here too except I use the Samsung 841 which you can get online for around $50. I've been recording downscaled HD movies with this recorder and they look fabulous up-scaled on the 841.

"70 percent of the cost in health care is from chronic disease, & chronic diseases come from really 3 big things-from obesity, lack of exercise & smoking."
Toby Cosgrove CEO - Cleveland Clinic
post #206 of 510 Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 PM

strike two for me now, recorded a few disks and they played back ok in this unit, tried to
play them in my other dvd player and they won't play. I did finalize them it seems to start
to play then just freezes up. I guess I wasted a hundred bucks on this unit. I am going to
call magnavox tomorrow, see if they can help me

I am using dvd+r disks should i try -r disks and see if they work? I don't know the difference between the two. what does + mean. thanks
post #207 of 510 Old 05-18-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

post #208 of 510 Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe915 View Post

I guess I wasted a hundred bucks on this unit. I am going to call Magnavox tomorrow, see if they can help me

Dude- TAKE IT BACK. Your unit is obviously bad. I've made at least 25 discs with this unit- using everything from Taiyo to Ritek, -R, +R, all play perfectly in my other players.

Comcast - 94039
post #209 of 510 Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 AM

I just use mine as a recorder. All the discs I've dubbed play fine in my Sony dvd player. I guess I need to see how it plays other discs, but it's not really an issue for me.
post #210 of 510 Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 AM

I tried TDK -Rs, Maxell -R's, Staples +R's, Staples -R's and Sony Ritek -RW's in mine and none of them
will play in my Pioneer 5 disc changer. They all play in my cheap Apex in the bedroom.
I'm taking it back, just haven't had the chance to get to Sam's. My Pioneer has no
problem playing anything burned from my computer.

Grateful11
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page