AVS Forum banner

Just picked up a new Panny DMR-ES15 at BB!

45K views 279 replies 69 participants last post by  computerman3 
#1 ·
Will get it home later tonight and check it out this weekend. I will report back.

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitareth /forum/post/0

UK prospective buyer here who is very confused
Have seen all the great reviews of the ES15, BUT also seen several reviews stating the BIG negative points of the ES15 are:
  • No RGB input
  • Analogue only tuner

As a new user of this forum am not allowed to include link to the discussions, but there seems to be a consensus that these are major reasons for going for the ES20 over the ES15.

Sample comments:

By the way, i should highlight -in case it's different from the US model - the UK ES20 is actually a ES20D and it includes a Freeview digital tuner.

Anyway, anyone care to comment on the above, as it's swaying me heavily towards going for an ES20D rather than an ES15
Apart from the slight increase in price for the ES20D, can anyone persuade me why I should still go for the ES15 in view of above concerns?

I think the UK ES20 is a different creature from the USA ES20, not just internally but also externally. I think the UK ES20 is closer to the ES10. I forgot the details since it is almost a year since I was comparing all those models.

As neither one has RGB SCART for USA models, for the USA market the ES15 is a better value than the ES20.

I am not very familiar with the UK TV system, and I forgot the differences betwen the UK and USA ES20, so I cannot comment on that.

(I have a USA-model ES20)

#178 ·
I have the 35v model of the pioneer and am wondering about the quick start feature. I currently have this turned on and the machine does fire up much more quickly. I use my system daily.

Is there any benefit to having it off besides saving energy? Will my player last longer? Is there any downside to having it on?

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitareth /forum/post/0

UK prospective buyer here who is very confused
Have seen all the great reviews of the ES15, BUT also seen several reviews stating the BIG negative points of the ES15 are:
  • No RGB input
  • Analogue only tuner

Anyway, anyone care to comment on the above, as it's swaying me heavily towards going for an ES20D rather than an ES15
Apart from the slight increase in price for the ES20D, can anyone persuade me why I should still go for the ES15 in view of above concerns?

Well, most of us at this board reside in the U.S.; so our issues and necessities differ greatly.

The ES20 that was issued in the US had a lot of frezzing problems, bugs, glitches--whatever; you name it, it had it. (And the Firmware updates (in my humble opinion) only made matters worst.)

So it's understandable that people are raving about the ES15, because after all, it is finally doing what it was meant to do.

Anyway, as far as I know, the ES20 has been pulled/discontinued here in the US. Not only that, but the ES15 is currently on sale for about the same amount as the ES20 clearance price tag. So it's a no brainer.

Okay, as far as UK residents go, the ES20D has a FREEVIEW Digital tuner and an analogue tuner. The analogue tuner is used to decode cable signals, the freeview tuner is used to capture "free airwave digital signals" from certain BBC Channels much like our antennas capture free airwave analogue signals from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.

If you are an UK resident, and you already have access to those digital channels via Cable or Satellite; then you probably don't need the FREEVIEW DIGITAL TUNER. If your reply is "but I need the Digital Tuner"; then you just answered your own question and the ES20 is for you.

If, on the other hand, your answer is... "eh, I don't really need the Freeview Tuner"; then your next step is probably to find out if the original ES20 bugs have been dealt with, or if they are so minor that you can live with them.

Another option is to go to a store that has good customer service/return policy, and try them both out.

Oh! And as far as the RGB Scart input port, I don't remember the ES20 having one; but it's one of those things you can easily check out by examining the store's floor model.

Good Luck, and Good Hunting.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ricky /forum/post/0

The ES20 that was issued in the US had a lot of frezzing problems, bugs, glitches--whatever; you name it, it had it. (And the Firmware updates (in my humble opinion) only made matters worst.)

I don't know what your experience with the ES20 was, but I have burnt 600+ DVDs with it by now and in some days I had it running for 12+ hours with very little or no rest. While by no means perfect, and it did have its share of issues/bugs, my experience with it was nowhere near as negative as you describe above :)

#181 ·
OK, so it's time for real noob questions: Is there any difference between the ES15 that is being discussed and the ES15S ? or is one just a shorthand for the other?

I see from another thread that the difference between the ES15(S) and the ES35V is the VCR part. Is that all? Is it an ES15(S) with all of the bells and whistles and they just put a 4-head hi-fi VCR into it?

Is it really better to spend the $$ on this, rather than just plug my Panny VCR (PV-V4522) into the composite RCA In port on my Radeon video card in my PC and record to the PC's hard drive, then just burn the video to a DVD with Nero? I guess using Nero gives me more creative control, better chapter placement, etc. but is it worth the time and effort to go through all that, or just spend the $150-250 (depending on just a plain DVD recorder or DVD/VCR), and let 'er rip (no pun intended)?

Thanks,

Wayne

#182 ·
ok what type of sound inputs or outputs are used on es15?? is it stereo ,dolby, ??? i dont want another mono recorder. mostly i will ise my digital camcorder to burn videos. which is in stero . i cant find online if its stereo or virtual . anyway to the guys and gurus who have the es15 how does the sound sound ??? lol

#183 ·
S refers to the fact that the unit is silver in color. Past Pannys have been S for silver and K (?) for black. It has been established that the 15 will not be available in black, but I suppose Panasonic reserves the right to change it's/their mind(s).

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK5000 /forum/post/0

Hi All,

I'm just wondering how I would go about connecting my satellite reciever to this unit and how I can connect it to my LCD tv.

This is my thought:

The feed from the satellite is connect via S-Video cable to the DMR-ES15 (this should allow me to record TV shows).

Then from the DMR-ES15 I would use component cables to take advantage of the progressive scan feature of the unit.

My question is, will I be able to watch tv programs through the DMR-ES15 via the component cables or do I have to send the satellite signal from the DVDR to the TV via S-Video? Do component cables only transfer video from DVD's or will it also transfer video from the satellite throught the DVDR?

Also I'm assuming that my audio would go from the satellite reciever into the DVDR and then out from there into my home theater receiver. Is this right?

Has anyone got this type of set up?... I'm assuming its pretty standard.

Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops /forum/post/0

I don't know what your experience with the ES20 was, but I have burnt 600+ DVDs with it by now and in some days I had it running for 12+ hours with very little or no rest. While by no means perfect, and it did have its share of issues/bugs, my experience with it was nowhere near as negative as you describe above :)

I had 3 Pannies ES20. On the first two, I made the mistake of doing a Firmware Update right out of the box (I know, newbie mistake). As far as I know, they could've been working great; and I just didn't know it. I also thought that a Firmware update would make the unit even better. No such luck. The Firmware made things worst. For instance, the x8 disc speed conversion to x16 activated a bug/glitch in the thumbnail system that prevented me, 9 times out of 10, from choosing the thumbnail I wanted for my finalizations.

The Firmware also activated/created a bug that would cause almost all of my extended recordings (i.e. movies longer than 2 hrs, burned using FR) to freeze when played on other recorders (almost like a region bug).

I think Pannasonic never caught on that their Firmware updates were doing this, and that's why we now have no eject button (and so many Finalization Screens). Apparently it was easier to think that us dummies didn't know how to finalize a disc, than to blame themselves for a crappy firmware update.

Anyway, I was kind of bitter because a DVD Recorder was to have been my Christmas present for December of last year. I bought the Lite-On because it got excellent reviews at cnet. It turned out to be a very, very, very bad recorder. That one would freeze just by playing a commercial DVD. I returned it, but had problems getting my refund (had to make 2 trips, one to be denied, one to argue that Black Friday purchases have a return policy extension that lasts until February)

My last ES20 I simply exchanged for an ES15. So far I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), I'm happy with it, and I've learned some valuable lessons in the process. So it's all good.

As far as a side comparison between the ES20 and the ES15; well I think the only advantage the ES20 has over the ES15 is in the gray scaling. Whenever a show I'm recording ends and "fades into black", the ES20 will give you a smoother transition while the ES15 black scale will show some noise. I don't know if this is the recorders fault, or if it's actually showing me the noise that's coming in through the analogue cable transmission. Who knows; but so far, so good.

Cheers!

#188 ·
Oh, I have not yet purchased this unit I'm just wondering how it would operate. I'm probably going to buy it early next week with a new LCD TV and I'm just wondering if I'll need to buy an extra S-Video cable to go from the DVDR to the TV to transfer the satellite feed or if the component cables will work for this. It seems logical that they would.

so to summerize:

Satellite S-Video output ---> S-Video cable ---> DVDR S-Video input

Audio as well obviously.

Now it should record TV programs.

DVDR Component output ---> Component Cable ---> TV Component input

This should allow for progressive scan DVD watching but the question is, will my TV video signal also play through the component cables?

Do I have to select a different Imput to watch tv or a DVD? Or as soon as I hit play it just shows up on the screen and when I stop play then it goes back to TV?

Confused.

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneE /forum/post/0

OK, so it's time for real noob questions: Is there any difference between the ES15 that is being discussed and the ES15S ? or is one just a shorthand for the other?

1 and the same. the last S = Silver. There is no ES15 listed on Panasonic's site .

Quote:
I see from another thread that the difference between the ES15(S) and the ES35V is the VCR part. Is that all? Is it an ES15(S) with all of the bells and whistles and they just put a 4-head hi-fi VCR into it?

Seriously, you can read about this for yourself on Panasonic's site .

Quote:
Is it really better to spend the $$ on this, rather than just plug my Panny VCR (PV-V4522) into the composite RCA In port on my Radeon video card in my PC and record to the PC's hard drive, then just burn the video to a DVD with Nero? I guess using Nero gives me more creative control, better chapter placement, etc. but is it worth the time and effort to go through all that, or just spend the $150-250 (depending on just a plain DVD recorder or DVD/VCR), and let 'er rip (no pun intended)?

Thanks,

Wayne

That's for you to decide. For me, that sounds like a hobby in and of itself (and the few I did, were a major time consumer). But your intentions are different than mine for this DVR. I just want to record a show and watch it when I have time. No need to archive it so I delete them after I watch them.

FWIW,

Jay

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK5000 /forum/post/0

Oh, I have not yet purchased this unit I'm just wondering how it would operate. I'm probably going to buy it early next week with a new LCD TV and I'm just wondering if I'll need to buy an extra S-Video cable to go from the DVDR to the TV to transfer the satellite feed or if the component cables will work for this. It seems logical that they would.

so to summerize:

Satellite S-Video output ---> S-Video cable ---> DVDR S-Video input

Audio as well obviously.

Now it should record TV programs.

DVDR Component output ---> Component Cable ---> TV Component input

This should allow for progressive scan DVD watching but the question is, will my TV video signal also play through the component cables?

Do I have to select a different Imput to watch tv or a DVD? Or as soon as I hit play it just shows up on the screen and when I stop play then it goes back to TV?

Confused.

According to the Operating Instructions, you can connect it the way you show. Looks like the play we convert any input signal to any of the output connectors based on the FAQ's and the connection diagrams. The manual is available on Panasonic's site.

As for the switching of inputs question: The unit will send the DVD signal to the outputs when you are in PLAY mode and whatever Input/TV channel otherwise. You can use the Channel buttons to cycle through the Inputs and the built-in TV tuner. But, if you are recording from say IN1 which is connected to your Satellite, then the DVR will record whatever your Sat system is sending, regardless of what channel your TV might be tuned to. Did that make sense?

FWIW,

Jay

#191 ·
Ya that seems to make sense. I think the "Looks like the play we convert any input signal to any of the output connectors based on the FAQ's and the connection diagrams." part is what I was asking. ie. component should carry the satellite picture to the tv as opposed to having to get an extra S-Vid cable. I have downloaded the manual but I was still stumped. I hope this works. we'll see.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangmans joke /forum/post/0

ok what type of sound inputs or outputs are used on es15?? is it stereo ,dolby, ??? i dont want another mono recorder. mostly i will ise my digital camcorder to burn videos. which is in stero . i cant find online if its stereo or virtual . anyway to the guys and gurus who have the es15 how does the sound sound ??? lol

You looked online you say?
Did you try Panasonic's site ?
  1. S-Video Inputs: 2 (1 front)
  2. Composite Video Inputs: 2 (1 front)
  3. Audio L/R Inputs: 2 (1 front)
  4. RF Inputs: 1 (VHF/UHF)
  5. 2ch Audio Out Yes

From the manual
Quote:
Select Audio Channel for DV Input

You can select the kind of audio when recording from the unit’s

DV IN terminal (page 32).

• Stereo 1: Records audio (L1, R1)

• Stereo 2: Records added audio such as narration (L2, R2)

subsequent to original recording.

• Mix: Records both Stereo 1 and Stereo 2.

When recording MTS broadcast, select the type of audio in

advance from “Multi-channel TV Sound ( MTS )” (above).

FWIW,

Jay

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda1966 /forum/post/0

I have the 35v model of the pioneer and am wondering about the quick start feature. I currently have this turned on and the machine does fire up much more quickly. I use my system daily.

Is there any benefit to having it off besides saving energy? Will my player last longer? Is there any downside to having it on?

Fairly sure you meant Panasonic
and 35VS. Nope, that's the only benefit. 7W versus 3W or 168W a day versus 72W a day. Of course heat is the enemy of electronics but I'm sure the laser and the motors are constantly running with only 7W ... that's a low amount of power and thus low amount of residual heat. When you are recording and playing back is when things really heat up

FWIW,

Jay

#195 ·
Could someone please confirm if the ES15 will allow me to program the unit to play specific titles off of a commercial DVD?

For example, I've got all of the MASH TV show sets. They're divided up by titles (one episode per title - 8 or so titles per disc) and chapters (multiple chapters per title). Can I easily set the ES15 to play entire titles? In other words, can I program the unit to play Titles 2 and 3 and then stop?

I've had mixed success with various players / recorders, and it seems that some won't allow programming at all unless you're dealing with an audio CD. And some will only allow you to program by chapter. Makes it a real pain when you have to program 22 different chapters just to get 2 episodes to play.

Thanks!

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C /forum/post/0

Update: Both BB and CC now are selling this unit for $144 down $10 from last week. I called BB and they said they would refund the difference when I bring in my receipt from last week. I bought it on a web price match in store. Also this week if you have a BB Reward Zone they are giving a $10 gift certificate for all orders over $100 ... so it's now $20 off from the price I paid last week.

Never hurts to call and ask you local store though, since their policy states it's the store's decision to price match BB.com or not.

Bought one last week from bestbuy.com & picked it up from their Carson City store.

It was on sale at a cheaper price online this week so I printed out the ad & took the ad & my receipt to their store in Victorville, California. At first they said yes, they would refund the difference....until they saw my receipt. They said they could not do a refund since I bought in on line (something about their computers). I told them I would order one on line & return the unit I had. They said fine. Instead, I found a unit in stock (after dealing with a very blonde salesgirl....another story) and was able to buy it for the on line price. Tomorrow I will return the original unit.

Overall I will save $15, not counting the 2 or 3 bucks in gas. A cautionary tale.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan /forum/post/0

Could someone please confirm if the ES15 will allow me to program the unit to play specific titles off of a commercial DVD?

For example, I've got all of the MASH TV show sets. They're divided up by titles (one episode per title - 8 or so titles per disc) and chapters (multiple chapters per title). Can I easily set the ES15 to play entire titles? In other words, can I program the unit to play Titles 2 and 3 and then stop?

I've had mixed success with various players / recorders, and it seems that some won't allow programming at all unless you're dealing with an audio CD. And some will only allow you to program by chapter. Makes it a real pain when you have to program 22 different chapters just to get 2 episodes to play.

Thanks!

I don't recall seeing anything in the ES15 user manual that would allow you to program playback of titles/chapters. I have the ES20 and I compared the manuals almost page by page.

It would be nice if it did, but the recorders are designed with recorder-priority...

Panasonic (marketing) has a bizarre way of dividing features between their dvd players and recorders. For example the ES20 can CM-Skip and TimeSlip on _all_ types of unfinalized DVDs, but not on finalized/commercial, while the dvd player S29 cannot CM-Skip/TimeSlip on +R/+RW, but can CM-Skip/TimeSlip on everything else finalized/commercial and VR mode. This makes more sense however when one considers that the ES20/ES15 were presumably designed with recorder-priority, not playback-priority.

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops /forum/post/0

I don't recall seeing anything in the ES15 user manual that would allow you to program playback of titles/chapters.

Well, crud. Thought I had found the perfect recorder for the bedroom. When will manufacturers realize that not everyone can afford / has room for / wants multiple units in any given space?

But, just for the record, has anyone actually tried to program the unit?

Thanks.

#199 ·
I guess I don't understand why what you're asking for is so important. If you recorded a bunch of episodes of whatever onto a DVD, there would be a thumbnail for each one in the Top Menu. To get it to play Title 2 just click on it's thumbnail. Once that completes, it will then play Title 3 (typically), or if you want a different one, return to the Top Menu (one button on the remote typically), and click on the thumbnail of the Title you want to play. I'm not seeing the big advantage to being able to tell it in advance to play Title X after playing Title Y. It saves a few button presses between the two Titles, but probably at the expense of having to press way more buttons up front to program it (if there even were such a feature).

No doubt you have some special need to be able to do this that I'm simply not aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.