Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 380 Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Kittyba. I'll go home and try that out. I do want to record off the tv as well as the dvr in the cable box, but you say these are additional set-ups, so I wouldn't be doing anything different than what you told me, just adding other attachments later, right? (baby steps, take baby steps!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 380 Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 PM

Yes, once you feel comfortable with connecting up the TV, then we can guide you to connecting the recorder to the cable box. Baby steps.
post #93 of 380 Old 05-23-2006, 07:51 PM

I picked up my DMR-EH75VS yesterday from Circuit City. Heres how I connected. BTW my cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD.

Coax goes to cable box 1st then out and into my EH75VS.*

EH75VS HDMI out to the 2nd HDMI input in my 42 PX60U.

AV cable from cable box into IN1 AV inputs in my EH75VS.

Optical audio from EH75VS to my HTR optical.

*If I connect my coax to my EH75VS first I do not receive all channels.

So far I like it - I'm having some of the problems Ive seen in this thread - No matter what I do I'm still seeing bars around the top and side. I haven't had enough time to know if the TV-Guide will work with Time Warner. I did copy a VHS to HD in LP mode, I also was able to edit it to just the part I wanted to keep.

I also put in the King Kong DVD and it looked great but the only way I could get rid of the bars were to watch in zoom and I have the same problems when I record TV to the HD.

If I cant figure out how to get rid of these damn bars I think I'm going to return it.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #94 of 380 Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docism View Post

I picked up my DMR-EH75VS yesterday from Circuit City. Heres how I connected. BTW my cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD.

Coax goes to cable box 1st then out and into my EH75VS.*

EH75VS HDMI out to the 2nd HDMI input in my 42 PX60U.

AV cable from cable box into IN1 AV inputs in my EH75VS.

Optical audio from EH75VS to my HTR optical.

*If I connect my coax to my EH75VS first I do not receive all channels.

So far I like it - I'm having some of the problems Ive seen in this thread - No matter what I do I'm still seeing bars around the top and side. I haven't had enough time to know if the TV-Guide will work with Time Warner. I did copy a VHS to HD in LP mode, I also was able to edit it to just the part I wanted to keep.

I also put in the King Kong DVD and it looked great but the only way I could get rid of the bars were to watch in zoom and I have the same problems when I record TV to the HD.

If I cant figure out how to get rid of these damn bars I think I'm going to return it.

Exactly which viewing source are you getting this black bars, and is it both vertical and horizontal at the same time ?
post #95 of 380 Old 05-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot View Post

Exactly which viewing source are you getting this black bars, and is it both vertical and horizontal at the same time ?

My input selections are...
IN3
Audio

CH0
((Audio

When I record something through my Cable box DVR it is perfect but no matter what I'm watching with my Pany DMR I always get top bars and the picture never seems full. If I'm watching 4:3 Ill get bars on the side too.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #96 of 380 Old 05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Possibly you have not configured the recorder so it knows what shape display you have. Letterboxing is it's response to displaying 16:9 content on what it thinks is a 4:3 display. Make sure it knows you have a 16:9 display first, if you have not already done so.
post #97 of 380 Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 PM

Yes, you must go into setup on the Panasonic and set to 16:9 display and tell your TV that the source is to be displayed 16:9.

With my Olevia 37", I tell it to convert all sources to 16:9 (it has one mode that does a smart stretch) and I have never seen bars on the sides, only on the top & bottom on a DVD that is widescreen because movies are 2.35:1
post #98 of 380 Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys and I need to apologize - I am getting local and non-HD channels in full screen. I guess I panicked when I wasn't able to get the channels I wanted the most and didn't bother checking the others. Once I get over the buyers remorse and accept the fact that I just paid 480.00 for a DVD VCR Ill be just fine.

I had a feeling it was a simple error on my part. One thing... what difference does it make it the cable coming from the wall goes into the cable box first instead of the DVR first? Ive tried it both ways and there isn't much difference that I can see.

I'm going to leave it alone for the 24 or so hours to see if the TV Guide works.

post #99 of 380 Old 05-25-2006, 05:33 AM

Docism - as this is the Panasonic DMR-ES45V thread, we don't have a hard drive or guide (and we paid $200 less). You should find a 75 thread or start one.
post #100 of 380 Old 05-25-2006, 08:17 AM

True dat - after all they are two completely different animals.

post #101 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 04:06 AM

Hi, guys. Kittyba, I'm going to try to set up the system this weekend, so I'll get back to you soon, thanks again. Btw, I thought the 75 and the 45 were exactly the same, except for the hard drive, or so I read somewhere on a thread and nobody contradicted it so I took it for gospel. I have been reading things about the 75 for that reason, as there seems to be more available on it, but I guess I should knock that off if they are different set-ups.
post #102 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Post your info on this recorder at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...ist=1#comments for compilation.
post #103 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM

Kittyba, are you a junior moderator?

post #104 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Hi all,

I just got the Panasonic DMR-ES45 and I'd like to archive some programs from my DVR that are in HD 16:9 format. Now I know that you won't get HD resolution but I was hoping that the recordings would still be 16:9 ratio when playing back but it currently shown with bars on top,bottom and both sides. Here is my hardware & configuration: Samsung HLP6163W DLP, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR, Yamaha RX-V1600 HDMI receiver. I'm using HDMI (for Audio and Video) on the DVR out to the receiver, s-video/analog audio out to the panasonic DMR-ES45 for recording amd HDMI (for Audio/Video) from the DMR-ES45 out to the receiver. The receiver has 2 HDMI in/1 HDMI out which obviously goes to the Samsung DLP. This Yamaha model does not have a scaler so the signal remains unchanged when I use this for switching. I know I have the DMR set for 16:9 TV and the DVR is set to that as well. The only option I have is stretching the 4:3 image which of coarse doesn't look right. There's not an option to zoom. I've played around with the settings but I still get the same result. I've also browsed these forums for a solution but no luck. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris
post #105 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM

I believe the manual for the DMR-ES45V states it will do 16:9 only on DVD-RAM. Try it with the blank disk that came with the unit.

Too bad Panasonic chose to limit it this way if it is a limit.
post #107 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

That is not the problem. If you read the link I posted, you will see that unless his STB can output 16:9 material without letterboxing it, there is no way to record it "properly" (without the black bars above and below). If the STB is capable, then there is always a way to do it, assuming you can use one of the three mechanisms I listed in that post.

Your point about the unit in question only recording 16:9 material to DVD-RAM, while no doubt true, will not get around STB limitations. It is just one of the easier of the three mechanisms I listed in that post, that of the recorder automatically recognizing 16:9 material and flagging the recording as such.
post #108 of 380 Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM

True - until all the media and electronic industries agree to output formats others will recognize, it's a mish-mash.
post #109 of 380 Old 05-30-2006, 02:12 PM

I just bought the VHS+DVD unit which I have connected via HDMI to my HDTV. I have recorded on +RW a few times and it worked OK, except on one occasion I could not power it on from the standby mode. (There was a program scheduled to be recorded, but days later.) The only way to regain control was to unplug the power cord, and replug it. I lost the clock time, but nothing else. It has worked since.

Has anyone else had trouble with the power on button or remote power on?

Chuck
post #110 of 380 Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSF View Post

I just bought the VHS+DVD unit which I have connected via HDMI to my HDTV. I have recorded on +RW a few times and it worked OK, except on one occasion I could not power it on from the standby mode. (There was a program scheduled to be recorded, but days later.) The only way to regain control was to unplug the power cord, and replug it. I lost the clock time, but nothing else. It has worked since.

Has anyone else had trouble with the power on button or remote power on?

There is a firmware update on the Panasonic site that addresses remote control responsiveness (or lack thereof). That may be what you experienced. Suggest you give the firmware update a whirl. Here's the link:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ge=DVDFirmware

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #111 of 380 Old 05-31-2006, 07:55 AM

Thank you for the firmware link. I had not found this before (typical of manufacturers to hide such details).

My experience is the remote is about as responsive as my previous GoVideo VR4940 which was a bit slow. I have not had the remote lock up or the unit lock up to date.

I have found that if I leave a recording to go overnight (recording home movies in FR mode at 2:05 to get all the tape), in the morning the unit is not at a menu but powered down as if the on/off button was pressed. It fires back up fine.

Also re. dual layer - this is working well. I record on Ritek DVD+R DL printable media which has burned well. I record one movie on the first layer, close the layer, and burn another on the second. Then finalize. Run the disc through an Epson R200 or R320 printer and it's done :-) I have also used CompUSA 2x DVD-R (the GoVideo recommended media) ok and Philips DVD+R 4x media.
post #112 of 380 Old 06-02-2006, 11:09 AM

Kittyba, I'm back! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, been a hectic week. I had temporarily misplaced the instructions you gave me (bonehead!)and foolishly tried calling Panasonic help line, got two completely different instructions from them, neither of which worked. O.K., here's where I am at:

Have hdmi going from tv to es 45.
have cable from wall going to cable box (sa 8300)
Have cable going from cable box to tv' ant'
red grn blue (I just figured out what rgb means!) from cable box to tv

Now, you said 'stereo audio cable' from the box to the tv. I see three possibilities for audio and I'm not sure which one to use. On the box, there is 'audio out', 'optical audio out' and 'digital audio output'. There is also something called 'secondary video and audio out'. Which would get me the best audio? Also, what further connections do I need to be able to record live from the tv and record the saved programs on the dvr, which I am deleting stuff from daily, 'cause I'm out of room! MUCHO APPRECIADO!!
post #113 of 380 Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Herb - did you reread the instructions and try?
post #114 of 380 Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 AM

I've probably spent about 5 hours trying various and sundry options. Unless I'm not getting it, the booklet doesn't help at all. The only place they mention hdmi (pg 16, I believe), they don't tell you anything else. Online, they have every conceivable hookup, except dvd recorder, tv and CABLE BOX. I've tried to do it intuitively, but I just don't understand the process or the terminology well enough to do this, I guess.
I called Panasonic,twice. The first time they gave me specific instructions and I connected things while the guy was on the phone. I didn't want to take up all his time, so I let him go and then tried it out, unsuccessfully. I called again, they basically ran me through the same setup, then paused and said 'oh, wait, you have a hdmi cable? Then rip out all the other connections, that is all you need.' Although I wasn't buying this, at that time I had been on the phone with her for 45 minutes, so again I let her go only to find out that virtually nothing worked.
At the last configuration I tried, the only functions I could get were the sd card slot and PLAYING dvd's, NO RECORDING AT ALL.
I was up at 4:30 this morning trying out other possibilities, and I made some changes but I haven't been able to check them out yet, as far as recording goes. I did try the tv however, and there are two problems there that i have to address.
The hd stations are so blocked up with black and grey bars that the picture is only about 8 x 15, not the 30" screen I thought I bought. The bars aren't even consistent, I think Discovery has nothing on bottom if I remember correctly, but everything else has grey and black all around.
Also, the # button on my remote is supposed to, and did, change the screen from stretch to wide to whatever, and that function seems to be completely gone! When I changed channels before from standard to hd, the 480 on the box would go to 1080. Now it remains on 1080 constantly, whether I'm on hd or not. Not that the picture is any worse, just that I don't understand what I did to make these changes occur.
At any rate, the new way I set it up this morning is:

CABLE FROM WALL TO 'CABLE IN' ON SA 8300 BOX

'CABLE OUT' ON SA 8300 BOX TO 'RF IN' ON ES 45

'RF OUT' ON ES45 TO 'ANT' ON HDTV

'HDMI OUT' ON ES 45 TO 'HDMI' ON HDTV

'PR, PB Y ' CABLES FROM SA 8300 TO TV

'AUDIO OUT' ON SA 8300 TO 'AUDIO IN' ON TV (RED AND WHITE CABLES)

NOW, IF ALL OF THIS IS CORRECT,( AND THE WAY THIS HAS BEEN GOING, I DOUBT IT!) I STILL HAVE TO USE 'ANALOG CABLES' (IS THAT THE RED AND WHITE SETUP?) FROM ONE OF THE 'OUT' POSITIONS ON THE ES 45 (WHICH ONE???) TO THE INPUT ON THE SA 8300 BOX, AND THEN SOME KIND OF VIDEO CABLES (RCA, IS THAT THE YELLOW ONE??) OR A S-VIDEO PLUG FROM THE 'OUT' ON THE ES 45 TO AN INPUT ON THE SA 8300 BOX TO BE ABLE TO RECORD PROGRAMS STORED ON THE DVR IN THE 8300 BOX, IS THAT RIGHT? WHICH SHOULD BE BETTER, THE S-VIDEO OR THE 'RCA VIDEO CABLE'?

I THINK AT LEAST HALF OF MY PROBLEM HERE IS THAT DIFFERENT PEOPLE USE DIFFERENT TERMS TO DESCRIBE CERTAIN CABLES, ETC AND I DON'T KNOW THE TERMINOLOGY. FOR INSTANCE, DV, ILINK IEEE11394, AND MAYBE TOSLINK? ARE ALL THE SAME THING! WHO KNEW?
I feel like I've written a book here, but I thought it might help you to understand why this is all so confusing to me. I do electrical work, plumbing, woodwork etc, but this just escapes me somehow!

It seems to me the manual should say: if you have this possibility, do this for the best connection. If not, do this etc., but it really doesn't. I see people here on the forum with a pretty good grasp of at least the terminology and they seem totally confused! What hope is there for someone who doesn't know this stuff?
post #115 of 380 Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM

I purchased the Panasonic DMR ES46V at Costco. I have had it two weeks and have not opened it yet. Actually I am afraid that I will have problems with hookup and the 16/9 display. I had purchased the Liteon DVD/VCR Recorder at Costco a few weeks ago and returned it. I could not get a full screen in the 16/9 mode. I did not even try to record, but when I played a DVD I had bars top and bottom. I had played this same DVD on other DVD players and it displayed full screen on 16/9. My LCD HD TV was set to the 16/9 mode and I used the Liteon menu to configure it for 16/9.

Now my problem is that I may experience the same problem with the ES46Vs. From what I have read on this forum I can only get a 16/9 full screen display when I record in the Ram mode. I plan on doing a lot of recording and also transferrring many VHS tapes to DVD.

I am also very concerned about the hookup as mention in this post. I have a SA8300 Hi Definition DVR box. It seems that there are many problems with DVD Recorders. Should I be concerned about these problems? I know I can return it to Costoc with no trouble, but I do not like to return electronic products.
post #116 of 380 Old 06-07-2006, 03:26 PM

You've got to take a plunge sometime. Please try it.

There are no broadcasts of material in standard definition at 16:9. So it's up to the TV generally to figure out what it will do. My Olevia has 2 or 3 different ways to display 4:3 material in SD and you can pick one or just have 4:3 in the middle. HD depends on the show as to how the networks get their output.

The 45/46 is great on "upconverting" SD material and DVD to HD via the HDMI cable.

But no DVD player or recorder can magically take some material and remove bars when it isn't supposed to. Example: theater movies are shot in 2.35:1 which is different than 16:9 and 4:3. Thus a widescreen DVD, if they show you the full picture, will still have bars to keep it looking right and not cut off part of the picture.

There are long, detailed posts on these type of issues with all players/recorders at videohelp.com.

One other thing, there is only one HD Recorder and that is for DirecTV (besides cards that can go into PCs). The Panasonic and other brands will not record HD, only Standard TV. And all standard TV is 4:3.

The recording of 16:9 only comes in on the DV in - some camcorders can record miniDV at 16:9 and Panasonic decided that will only record on -RAM. I have only tried to record in 16:9 once and I have not tried to transfer the tape yet.

For connection of a cable box - you can try the coax in but for a box that has hundreds of channels/special connections, S-Video in, recording the currently playing channel seems like the only option.
post #117 of 380 Old 06-08-2006, 07:44 AM

I've had it, I'm returning mine. Wasted time and money.
post #118 of 380 Old 06-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Oh well.
post #119 of 380 Old 06-10-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Besides the HDMI upconversion & SD card slot does anyone know if there are any other differences between the 35V & 45/46V ?

What I'm really wondering about is the Editing Features & that maybe the 35V doesn't do some of the things that the 45V & 75V can just like there was a big difference between Panny's older 30V model & the 40V model when it came to Editing. Thanks.
post #120 of 380 Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 AM

Not having a 35 I cannot compare - it can do alot of editing with DVD-RAM, seems less so with other media. My wife likes the titling capabilities better than the GoVideo 4940 we replaced.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page